Dak Prescott stands by his anthem comments despite the backlash

AP

Dak Prescott created a social-media firestorm last week in his support of Jerry Jones’ anthem policy for the Cowboys. The quarterback stands by what he said, despite criticism from all quarters, including from some NFL players.

I am not oblivious to it,” Prescott told Clarence Hill of the Star-Telegram. “You get on social media, you see it. It doesn’t bother me. I said what I said. You have an opinion. Everyone else has an opinion. They are entitled to it as well. I accepted what they said and respect it. They should respect mine.”

Prescott said last week that he understood the reasons for the protests, but it was the wrong time and wrong venue. He repeated to Hill that he’s ready for the next step, joining Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins and others in “taking action.” But Prescott also clarified he wasn’t suggesting Colin Kaepernick and others who have protested during the anthem weren’t already working in the community.

“I think there was a little misunderstanding of the fact of what I believe in,” Prescott said. “I never said I didn’t believe in social injustice and things that were going on. I just said I didn’t think that the national anthem was the time. It’s two minutes out of our day that we could also be spending embracing what our country should be and what our country is going to be one day that we know that it’s not right now. That is the sad part about it. That it’s not.

“I respect everybody. And power to the people that kneel. That is what they believe in, and they should be able to kneel. For me, the game of football has been such a peace. It’s a moment for me to be at peace and think about all the great things our country does have even though we know it’s not a good for us right now.”

98 responses to “Dak Prescott stands by his anthem comments despite the backlash

1. So if a fellow Cowboys player kneels to protest a cause like reducing the size of the federal government, getting rid of the EPA/IRS/Dept of education, enacting the Fair tax, having an Article 5 Constitutional Convention of the States, equality in college admissions for white students….then Prescott would support him right?
    Yeah…highly doubtful Dak.
    I bet Dak only supports “protests” that align with his (and others) political and racial views.

2. Any time someone says something that everyone knows is correct, but nevertheless unpopular, there is going to be a ‘backlash’.

3. Doesn’t make sense to claim free speech and right to protest, but openly criticize others that don’t toe the line. He was respectful, and it looked like a lot of thought went into what he said.

4. briang123 says:

August 1, 2018 at 2:57 pm

How dare he not immediately apologize to the liberal mob that demands conformity?

—————————–

They demand conformity by giving their support to those who do something outside of the norm during the national anthem? Kneeling instead of standing at attention isn’t conforming it’s the exact opposite.

5. I agree with DAK the nfl is not the place to protest! Here’s my opinion about cops mistreatment of blacks , just do what the officers tell you to do quit fighting the cops ! Show them respect not hate,

6. I think he was clear in what he said. Only ill-bred morons would argue about the “meaning”. He is someone who walks his talk, every day–just think of the opposite of what you all do.

7. dryzzt23 says:
    August 1, 2018 at 2:53 pm
    Yeah…highly doubtful Dak.
    ———————————-

So you literally did all three of the following:

1) Did not read the first article about Dak talking about the anthem
    2) Did not read this article (only the headline)
    3) Commented anyway.

I suggest you do the opposite of everything you’ve done so far.

8. Funny to hear those who support the player protests shouting down any dissenting opinion. Kanye called it right.

9. Much better headline would be “Media created backlash”. I just spot checked the likes and from I can tell about 90% of the people are in favor of Dak ( including me a lifelong Philly fan that goes back to the Dick Vermeil days ).

In fact I’m going to visit Dak’s twitter, and let him know how much we appreciate his views on standing for the anthem. Please join me & let’s make a statement.

10. Dak Prescott isn’t a very good QB. And from a guy who fought for his rights, not a very good American. Apparently a very good employee though.

11. I’m glad that everyone here agrees with Prescott. Sounds like we’re making progress.
    Dak said… ““I respect everybody. And power to the people that kneel. That is what they believe in, and they should be able to kneel.”

Its so cool that everyone who comments on PFT acknowledges that its ok to kneel and to be respectful of everybody – whether they choose to express themselves in this way or not. Well done Dak.

12. I’m no Cowboys fan, but I like this. All he’s saying is I respectfully disagree with kneeling during the anthem. Unfortunately for Dak, the world we live in now says you must agree with left propaganda or you will labeled a hater, racist, offensive or whatever the phrase of the day is.

13. I respect your opinion Dak.

You let us know the right time to fight the social.injustice you believe in. Ok?

14. “all quarters” you see that is why I dig at the media. “all quarters” what exactly does that mean? You don’t get to claim social media is “all quarters” Even some players WHHOOOO! You mean someone that is actually attached to the game or are people involved in the game part of “all quarters” That is what this country has got to. Freedom of speech unless we don’t agree with it. Maybe just maybe that will make Dallas more the America’s team , only because I am not sure anyone picks a team because their players protest.

15. skinnys443155491 says:
    August 1, 2018 at 3:11 pm

7 4 Rate This
    ———————————————————————————
    So blacks are the ones getting mistreated but they should be the ones to show respect?
    Ok.
    And that opinion is getting likes?
    We have a long way to go.

16. The kneelers haven’t even noticed that they have screwed this protest up so badly that the conversation isn’t even about social injustice anymore. It is about kneeling for the national anthem. They are fighting for the right to protest during the national anthem…too funny…..geniuses.

17. “We need to start a conversation about social injustice in our country”

…Someone acknowledges social injustice but questions the tactics being used to combat it…

“Shut your mouth!”

18. Multi-millionaire NFL activist athletes need to google “Rosalyn Baldwin” and see how activism can work to affect positive change and true understanding. She ain’t no big shot multimillionaire and is doing it on her own dime/time. This is real.

19. If Dak is genuine in what he says he should not be worried about the backlash. Problem is that Dak is worried about the backlash because Dak knows Jerry could care less about Dak, Jerry only cares when you wear a cowboys Jersey. Dak is still young and trying to please his employer and his peers at the same time which will not work much longer. Dak better stick to yogurt commercials instead of talking out both sides of his mouth.

20. dmca12 says:
    August 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm

——————————————————————————————

Actually, the left agrees with Dak just like you. They believe that respectful disagreement is healthy. Your point would have more validity if anyone was taking the position that there is something wrong with standing for our national anthem. To the contrary, those that choose to kneel, and those who support them fully respect your position.

21. A bunch of entitled, bullying children lashing out at a real man stating his opinion and his intent. Sickening. And, of course, Dak handles it like… a real man.

I will be watching this guy play this season. Just might make his the first ever non-Raider jersey I’ve ever bought.

Maybe.

22. Yes Mr Jones, right away Mr Jones, anything you say Mr Jones, of course youre right Mr Jones.

Prescotts a bigger puppet than Carrot Top. Sounds like he just read from something Jerry handed him.

Nobody cares what a 3rd string quaterback on a last place team says Dak. Less kissing Jerrys behind and more focusing on your brutal passing game would ge adviseable.

I hope Dak cleared this with Garretts Guys to make sure it fits “The Culture” otherwise hes the next guy Sean Lee and and his cronies will railroad out of town.

Romo > Dak.

Giants, Skins and Eagles must love all the nonsense coming from Jerrys World. All drivel and zero football.

Garretts Guys 4 ever!!!

23. Good for Dak for not being bullied into group think. Peer pressure is what you are teaching your kids to avoid not join because you are strong armed/voiced into that situation. Show it in the community, show it in your actions, use your fame to make a different not be a dolt sitting down on the carpet for the flag that allowed you the freedoms to make millions.

24. Dak could have remained innocent in all of this, totally untied from politics as nearly all of the players have. But by coming out and saying anything at all on this ridiculous issue, he will be forever tied to politics. He can’t put the horse back in the barn now… He can say 1,000x that he is not interested in politics. He’ll always be a prop.

25. Herschel Walker said it best when he asked, “How much activism are they doing on THEIR OWN TIME?” Colin Kaepernick and Malcom Jenkins are the only two I can think of that are being activists on the THEIR own time, unlike most of the other knee takers that only want to be activists when fans came to see a game. There are some laws and police policies that could be changed but there are NO statistics that support their FALSE belief that police brutality is rampant against black and brown people. Just like ICE, the local police are enforcing the LAWS on the books. Taking a knee during the National Anthem will NOT change those policies/laws but talking to your city council and state legislature will.

26. Dak is playing it safe…..he’s not the first. Scared to lose endorsement and future deals…..Jerry Jones told him what to say, that’s what Parrots done….Poly wanna a Cracker, in comes JJ.

27. TruFBFan says:
    August 1, 2018 at 3:33 pm

—–

I seriously doubt you fought for anyone’s rights. Why? They never feel the need to point it out, least of all on the internet, nor judge people on their free speech – the very thing the real warriors fight to protect for everyone.

28. And the media have now found itself a new target. Watch, unless he eventually caves, the media is going so all they can to bring him down.
    Nothing the media hates more than those who don’t fall in line

29. You can tell this kid has character…Remember his rookie year…there was a clip of Dak tossing a cup into a trash can and missed?…but he went and picked it up and put it back in?…Jenkins and Sherman would be the type to leave the trash on the ground…

30. Smart guy. Many of the loudmouths that support kneeling will find the guaranteed money on their next contract to be much lower than hoped. The term “distraction” will be thrown around. Not with Dak. He smartly backed his team owner, who will in turn happily pay Prescott a massive amount of guaranteed money when it’s time for his contract negotiation.

31. dryzzt23 says:
    August 1, 2018 at 2:53 pm
    Yeah…highly doubtful Dak.

——————————————————————–

I think you missed the entire point of the story and what Dak said…just like everyone who thinks kneeling is about the anthem and patriotism. Just because he supports protesting doesn’t mean he has to agree with what they’re protesting against.

32. Freedom of expression is suppose to apply to everyone.
    Dak has every right to express his point of view.

But not everyone or anyone has to agree with him.
    And they too, can express their point of view.

One big happy circle.

33. torgow says:
    August 1, 2018 at 4:08 pm
    Backbone is a rare thing. I don’t care what your opinion is, not many people can stand up to a mob.
    —————————————————————————————–

Good for you, standing up for Kaepernick like that – all by your lonesome. I see what you did there.

34. You B. Crazy says:
    August 1, 2018 at 4:55 pm
    ————————————————————————————–

You B Crazy if you think any part of Dak Prescott’s next contract will be determined by anything other than his productivity as a quarterback.

35. The anthem protests worked. Like it or not they worked because what is it… now three years later we are still discussing them?

Cool. It was uncomfortable for a lot of us but you have to admit they did have a lasting affect. Let’s hope we create a country that everybody is proud to stand without haranguing,chiding, or threats.

A free country where every man, woman, and child feels represented and important.

If you don’t feel this let’s get to work. Tell me how I can help.

36. Dak points out “I respect everybody. And power to the people that kneel. That is what they believe in, and they should be able to kneel.”
    Absolutely right, and not kneeling is your right.
    Will we ever see civilized society where everyone respects each other’s rights? and every little snowflake (on either side) doesn’t overreact when someone exercises theirs? That will be the day when America is truly great.

37. The backlash is simply why you tend to hear one group of political people in the country more often than others. There is a very loud group of people, which players like Richard Sherman and Lebron James represent and agree with. Many people like Florio seem to think because they are the loudest that they represent “most” people. This simply is not true. In the end agree or disagree with Dak, the hate directed his way has just been sad.

38. At last check, the Dallas Cowboys were owned by Jerry Jones. We should stop pretending that Dak Prescott has any say whatsoever in this. He’s just saying what the owner/GM of the Dallas Cowboys prefers. And if he wants to keep his job, that’s quite smart of him.

39. Not a big Cowboy fan, but this guy needs to have more say in these matters.
    I would encourage him ask if he could be a player rep, Give this guy a voice.
    He’s a natural leader.

40. johngaltwho says: August 1, 2018 at 4:07 pm
    dmca12 says: August 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm
    ——————————————————————————————

Wow, what planet you from? Where are these imaginary loving, un-triggered leftists? Respectful only when agreed with and their precious feelings are’t hurt, otherwise “respectful disagreement” generally involves fists, bottles, and plenty of verbal beration. Let me know when your kumbaya solo begins.

41. SGT. Hugo Stiglitz says: August 1, 2018 at 3:27 pm
    yes, Master Jerry, I dos as you like boss

You sound like a darling employee.

42. what a breath of fresh air it is to see a public stand by their opinion and not apologize immediately following the backlash. NFL needs more players with the maturity and level headedness of Dak.

43. Who cares what a second (or third) rate QB says?

He’s not good enough to do anything but say “yes sir”

44. The anthem protests worked. Like it or not they worked because what is it… now three years later we are still discussing them?

If you don’t feel this let’s get to work. Tell me how I can help.

————————————————————————-

the fact we are still talking about it suggests that it hasn’t been that effective. 3 years is a long enough time to not try something new

45. He is right except when he said the players have the right to kneel during the National Anthem. For the 1000th time, NO THEY DON’T!!!!!!
    They do not have the right to demonstrate their political beliefs while they are at work, any more than anyone else does. It is as simple as that folks. But no one seems to get that.
    As I have been pointing out since this started, the same people who are doing the kneeling or are supporting those who do would not support a player who knelt during the Anthem if his reason was he is upset that they are knocking down Civil War statues of Confederate generals in the south.
    So my point is — the protesters are hypocritical in that anyone who disagrees with them is labeled a racist yet they would be adamantly opposed to someone else doing what they are doing for a different reason such as I brought up.

46. Dak just following orders to get that contract. I wonder if Jerry consulted Papa John In this situation? LOL

47. The whole kneel/not kneel has become a farce. What started out as a modest act of protest over a social issue, complete with layers of complexity and need for honest discussion has been turned into a truly disruptive and distracting referendum on how one feels about Trump.

48. I’m an Eagles fan and support MJ in using the platform he’s on to further the fight against the injustices that minorities endure, but I also respect other players that choose to stand against injustice in their own ways. Let’s not get this twisted.

49. I like this guy, he gets it!!! And if the others that disagree would get it then this whole social injustice could be worked on in a proper environment.

50. ktoast says:
    August 1, 2018 at 11:13 pm

If you don’t feel this let’s get to work. Tell me how I can help.

————————————————————————-

Wow discussing what? This whole cluster f of a protest has become all about the protest itself rather than the subject it was meant to bring light to.

51. This is awesome! Way to go Cowboys.

****IT NEVER MAKES SENSE TO DO THINGS THAT TURN THE PAYING FANS OFF****

52. Nice to see some players actually do possess some common sense. All NFL players have a platform 24/7 to say what they want to say. Fact is, most don’t care. They only care about the anthem/kneeling issue because they are being told by owners not to do it…. So now they want to…. Even though half the fans find it disrespectful. If the actually did care about social injustice they would spend more than 3 minutes before a game to show that they care… I’d love to see how many actually do something beyond those 3 minutes. Maybe a handful ? Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Long, Anquan Boldin (who’s now retired). The list is short.

53. johngaltwho says: August 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
    torgow says: August 1, 2018 at 4:08 pm
    —————————————————————————————–

Che Pig-socks bit the hand that fed and by extension all of America. Yah, it’s exactly the same.. only different.

54. That’s called class and respect right there. He’s 100% right. Protesting during the anthem is not productive. Its divisive. I respect Kap for his bravery, but that was years ago. The point was made. These players need to get over themselves and further this platform through action and stop the anthem nonsense.

55. nyneal says:
    August 1, 2018 at 11:58 pm

Spot on. Lets see how devoted to the “cause” these folks are. On your bye week, go to a game, any game where they play the anthem and kneel in the stands so that the fans can fill you in first hand on what it means to be a true protester. Safe on the sidelines with cops and security protecting you or in the stands where you actually might have to answer for your actions. Gutless phonies.

56. brawlkc says: August 1, 2018 at 6:53 pm
    If you don’t feel this let’s get to work. Tell me how I can help.

Many’s opinion are stronger against than it was then, empty stadiums will continue, fatherless inner city kids still killing each other. And you can bet they’ll be less money for the CBA. So if your definition of success is attention, well at least there’s that.