New contract lets Stefon Diggs fulfill late father’s request

AP

Tuesday was a big day for Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs.

He signed a five-year, $72 million contract heading into the fourth season of an NFL career that started as a fifth-round pick in 2015 and has seen him outperform plenty of players who were selected earlier in the process. In addition to the deal giving Diggs job security and locking up another core Vikings player, it also allowed Diggs to fulfill a request his father made shortly before dying of congestive heart failure in 2008.

Diggs’ emotions may have been mixed on such a momentous day, but the other reactions around the Vikings were likely a simpler mix of happiness and excitement about having Diggs in the fold for years to come.

35 responses to “New contract lets Stefon Diggs fulfill late father’s request

1. “It means a lot to me because my dad sat me down a couple months before he passed away,” Diggs said, via the Pioneer Press. “He just told me, ‘Look after your brothers. Look after your mom. Look after your family.’ That meant a lot to me. With this day coming forward, it just came full circle. I have a lot of emotions.”

I would just like to point out that Stefon was 14 years old when he and his dad had this conversation.

Listening to him talk about this yesterday brought tears to my eyes.

Nice to have such a well grounded young man representing my team.

2. Even if you are a hater of this team you should watch this Diggs press conference. It will tell you everything you need to know about why we are so proud to be fans of this team. It’s not just the winning, it’s the culture and professionalism that is second to none.

3. Huge difference in Viking/ packer players

Stefon Diggs :

Ha Ha Dix:
    “I’m a guy that I need my money, man. That’s why I’m here now. I need my money.”

4. I was soo happy about him getting signed yesterday. For years the Vikings would draft offense players and they would just leave, but finally they are getting quality players out of the draft and keeping them. It’s been a fun time being a Vikings fan under the Zimmer era.

5. Huge difference in Viking/ packer players
    —–
    If only you could just be happy with your team without worrying so much about ours….

6. Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:01 am

—————

“It’s not just the winning”????

Diggs seems like a good kid but what “winning”’would that be? Certainly not championships….

7. I know this is about Diggs, but Mike Zimmer went into Minnesota and everything changed there instantly, he did the same for the Bengals, wish Mike Brown would have said “Marvin, thanks for your service we will offer you a role as a GM/player scouting, but Mike Zimmer is the new head coach. Zimmer is a special coach, along the lines of Bill B, Bill Walsh, Jerry jones

8. Why does GB always need to be brought up for you guys? I am a Cincy fan and every article there’s a Minnesota fan bringing GB into it…why????

9. nhpats says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:58 am
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:01 am

—————

“It’s not just the winning”????

//////////////////////////

Love the patriot hatred, keep it coming.

10. flviking says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:14 am
    Huge difference in Viking/ packer players

Stefon Diggs :

Ha Ha Dix:

———————————————————————————-

Vikings fans just cannot let it go. Their obsession with everything Packers is truly flattering. If you think for one second what Dix said is not what virtually every player is about, ie getting paid, then you are crazy. I also love it when a fan of one team players the “our players are better human beings than your players” card. It’s almost as ridiculous as politicians playing the morality card.

11. ajzinnecker says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:19 am

——————————————————————–
    I agree with you 100%, but would also like to add that the Wilf’s have been the best owners in my 40+ years as a fan. They run the team like a family from the facilities they have helped build to the way they treat the Alum and get them involved and back in the community. Rick, Rob and their crews seem to be a great compliment to Zimmer, great time to be a fan of the team!

12. nhpats says:

August 1, 2018 at 8:58 am

Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:01 am

—————

“It’s not just the winning”????

————–

The Vikings have been pretty consistent under the Zimmer era at winning. Yes no championships, but they have been pretty successful in recent years winning games, at least during the regular season.

13. pkrlvr says:

August 1, 2018 at 8:49 am

Huge difference in Viking/ packer players
    —–

————————

I agree!

14. Twins, Vikings, and Villanova fan. (The latter because of graduate school.) I want a ring baaaad for the Vikes, but I truly believe that we are entering a good three year run. No NFL player says that “only” making the NFCCG is a failure. It’s tough to win. Zim has proven that he can win under extremely difficult circumstances.

15. pkrlvr says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:49 am
    Huge difference in Viking/ packer players
    —–

****

As a Viking fan, I agree with you. Some of these guys…..sheeesh. I cringe when I see it.

16. dmca12 says:
    August 1, 2018 at 9:36 am
    flviking says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:14 am
    Huge difference in Viking/ packer players

Stefon Diggs :

Ha Ha Dix:

———————————————————————————-

///////////////////////////

And yet, here you are commenting on a Viking thread. Your obsession with the Vikings is truly flattering.

17. flviking says:
    “Huge difference in Viking/ packer players”.

Here’s difference between Vikings and Packers ownership:
    Vikings owners convicted in $84.5 million judgment for defrauding their business partners vs. a Packer shareholder ticketed for running a stop sign.
    Too bad it’s never mattered to Viking fans.

Aside from that, congratulations to Stefan Diggs and his family. We need more fathers like his in this country.

18. nhpats says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:58 am
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 1, 2018 at 8:01 am

—————

“It’s not just the winning”????

—————————————

Patriots fans will soon be talking about the good old days while their future is throwing darts for the 49ers. Have fun with that.

19. greej1938l says:
    —————–
    I know right? Because if you go to a Green Bay article they never mention the Vikes in their comments. It’s called a rivalry. Start winning some games and maybe your team will develop one with someone.

20. footballpat says:
    August 1, 2018 at 10:04 am

Vikings fans want to beat the Packers. Patriots fans want to beat everybody.

See the difference?
    ————————–
    I only see the similarities. Losing to the Eagles.

21. milkcan44 says:

Here’s difference between Vikings and Packers ownership:
    ####

The main difference that I see is that the Vikings never had their franchise revoked by the league.

The Vikings have never had to ask the league to reinstate their franchise or pay a fee to get it done.

22. If the Packer fans wouldn’t constantly bring up the Vikings in their threads, the Viking fans probably wouldn’t constantly bring up the Packers in their threads, and vice versa. I don’t see it changing so maybe we could just quit complaining about it.

23. What a great kid. I hope he takes care of his mom and spends that money wisely, but I also hope there aren’t a bunch of relatives standing around him with their hands out. I hate seeing the stories of these former NFL players that have spent all their money.

And to the dope that said it was one lucky touchdown, you should watch some of his other games, like the first game of the 2017 season on national TV when he burned the Saints multiple times — not just the playoff game where he burned the Saints and several times.

24. packertruth says:
    August 1, 2018 at 4:34 pm
    He could only look after his brothers after getting a new contract? That’s weird.

//////////////////////////

He was only 14 at the time his dad asked him to look after his brothers, which I’m sure he did. Now he can look over them financially. I would say something to you but I’ve been told I’m to mean to pack fan.

25. Ron Jull says:

August 1, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Wow,

Thats a lot of money for one lucky touchdown.

————————

It’s a lot of deserved money for a receiver who was #1 in contested catches last year, has more Yards in his firs three years than Antonio Brown did, and is a great citizen, great route running and one of the best WR’s the Vikings have had since Randy Moss.