Earl Thomas: I’m standing strong to get what I deserve

Getty Images

In a piece for the Players’ Tribune, Thomas writes that he believes he’s worth significantly more than the $8.5 million base salary he’s due this year, and he’ll continue his holdout until he gets what he wants.

I’m standing strong on this — because I’ve got to,” Thomas said. “I’m standing strong when it comes to getting what I deserve. I’ve been one of the best defensive players in this league for the better part of a decade, and the numbers show that this team plays much better with me than without me. Beyond that, I still have some great years of football left in my tank. I’m not even close to slowing down. I’m still working to get better.”

Thomas has been disenchanted by the departures of teammates Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor, and he says that if the Seahawks plan to move on from him a year from now, they ought to just do it now.

“If the Seahawks don’t intend on having me around for the long-term, then I understand,” Thomas writes. “And if they want to start over and rebuild, then that’s their right — it’s part of the business. It’s not what I want but I get it. All I ask, though, is that if that’s the case, and they don’t want me anymore — just please trade me to an organization that does. Please trade me to a team that wants me, so I can give my all to them for the rest of my career.”

The Seahawks have shown little interest in giving Thomas a new contract, nor has there been much talk of a trade. Eventually something has to give, but Thomas doesn’t sound like he’s in a mood to give in.

108 responses to “Earl Thomas: I’m standing strong to get what I deserve

1. The Seahawks are going to suck this year with or without Thomas. Holding out on a crappy team is not going to get you anywhere.

2. You are under contract. They are not required to give you a new one and they do not have to trade or release you.

3. Sorry, I just don’t get the escalation of salary demands in the past decade…. skyrocketing beyond what is reasonable IMO.

I realize this is a “short term career” and the physical cost is significant field, but to demand so much $$ compared to the average working person’s wages is insulting.

These average workers are not going to be able to support these salaries with tickets, merchandise and such. I just don’t see an end in sight where the quality of sports is there for the average viewer.

4. Says the guy who has already threatened to retire on more than one occasion. He’s never going to get more than a 1 year deal from anyone even when he becomes a free agent after this year. He’s a heck of a great football player but when you threaten to retire teams see that as a sign that your heart isn’t in it anymore and you only care about the money. He’ll sit out 6-7 games or whatever you need to in order to get credit for the season (I think you have to play 9-10 games) then he’ll come back. But the damage will be done and he’ll only get 1 year deals. Whoever is advising him should be fired immediately.

5. You deserve that which you signed for. You negotiated a contract, you signed it. I doubt very much Thomas is going to give up 8 million dollars in a futile attempt to get more. Maybe if the SeaHawks were a legit contender and needed him to win it all this ploy may work. Too bad for Mr Thomas it wont make a lick of difference if hes on the field or not, Seattle is fast tracking to last place.
    I hope the Hawks dont cave, let him sit. They save eight milion dollars and have one less ego to worry about.

Sit the season Thomas, we all dare you.

6. So on one hand we have players disrespecting the flag and members of the military in the name of “social inequity” and then on the other hand we have those same players refusing to play until they receive millions more in salary… Welcome to America, I guess.

7. Earl Thomas: I’m standing strong to get what I deserve

I think he deserves the contract he signed.
    And let’s not forget that after not missing any games in his first 6 seasons, he’s missed 7 games in the past two seasons.

8. He is the type to force his ridiculous contract demands and then not give a crap once he signs. I’d let him go.

9. Seattle may have thought that they are a much better team with Thomas than without in the year he broke his leg. They may think differently now because their defense and the whole team were not playing well last year when they had a late season slump and missed the playoffs. Thomas wasn’t playing well late last season when the opposition completed a number of deep passes, which is a free safety’s responsibility.

10. “Earl Thomas vows that he will not return to the Seahawks until they meet his contract demands.”

I demand you go work on a loading dock for $10 an hour, Precious.

11. Some other teams around the league may ask “ET” to take a pay cut or simply release him. A number of safeties and cornerbacks signed by other teams as free agents were released when teams thought that they were not playing well enough to justify their high salaries. He can look no further than his teammate Byron Maxwell for an example. If Thomas won’t play for less than $8 million per year, he may soon price himself out of the league.

12. Trade him. At least 28 other teams would take him in a heartbeat. Stupid Seattle…he’s a HOF player and among the best players in the game. Do what they did for Julio and get out and ball.

13. .
    The Patriots would be a good landing spot for Thomas. Seattle would move their distraction to the AFC East, receive a player (G Shaq Mason) and /or draft picks in return. The Patriots get a high quality player to shore up their suspect secondary. Thomas gets out of Seattle and gets to showcase his skills for a high profile team in preparation for free agency.

14. I’m standing strong to get what I deserve.

Reality: You will be sitting strong to give the team what it doesn’t deserve.

And to the first comment, you will be hiding by Halloween trying to run from your laughable prediction.

15. I’ll assume when the Seahawks stop his paycheck after he doesn’t show up for “work” that the contract HE signed might become a more important! What a loser!

16. I believe sometimes veteran players do this knowing full well that they most likely won’t get a raise. But they get to skip all of training camp and show up just as the season starts and the team always waives the fines the player incurred for missing camp.

Also, he and his agent appear to be the only ones who believe that he deserves more $.

17. Ummmm… that kid Tedrick Thompson that’s getting all of your reps Earl…yeah, he’s the talk of OTAs and training camp so far. The longer you stay home, the likelier it is that you might not be needed anymore.

18. coloradical420 says: “So on one hand we have players disrespecting the flag and members of the military in the name of “social inequity” and then on the other hand we have those same players refusing to play until they receive millions more in salary”
    ============================

Earl Thomas has NEVER protested against the national anthem… so take your stupid rant somewhere else, snowflake.

19. And the Seahawks are standing strong too since they have 89 other players to pay, plus coaches, trainers, executives. administrative staff, game day staff, player/coach support staff, etc.
    The media supports players to get maximum salary but they fail to realize that the higher players salaries are, the less money to go around to other Seahawk employees.
    So apparently the media is fine with these “oppressed” players making tens of millions and the cook making $10/hr cooking for these prima donna players.

20. Waahhh Wahhh I’m only going to make 8.5 million dollars I’m taking my ball and going home. Sit out for all I care spoiled NFL players. You have played long enough to sit you should have plenty of money in the bank. You have a contract honor it!

21. He is a tad undersized safety on the wrong side of 30. He is scheduled to make $8.5 million this season, which puts him in the upper echelon safety salaries. If I were the Seahawks, I would definitely trade him. However, I am not certain what his trade value is.

I think a team would be foolish to sign an aging player such as Thomas who plays an undervalued position to a long-term contract.

22. Birdie048 says: “Sorry, I just don’t get the escalation of salary demands in the past decade…. skyrocketing beyond what is reasonable IMO.”
    ============================

Players get 48% of NFL revenue under the CBA. It’s a FIXED amount, so the only question is HOW that is spread out between the teammates.

And before you start whining about the players’ salary demands might be driving up prices to the average fan, the vast majority of NFL revenue is from tv contracts and not gameday ticket sales.

23. 12.3 million Dead cap if they cut him this year. Only 1.9 million dead cap if they do it next year.
    =====

Incorrect.

$1.9 cap hit if they cut or trade him.

His contract is up after this season.

24. citpyrc says:
    August 2, 2018 at 8:41 am
    ————

Stop speaking on another man’s negotiations and money.

25. Trade him. At least 28 other teams would take him in a heartbeat.
    =====

Apparently not.

A 3rd and 5th probably would probably get a deal done at this point.

Seems like a steal for the best centerfielder in football.

26. Just another NFL player demanding a trade or new contract versus honoring his deal. Earl Thomas, your 1/2 the player you were in your prime. Move on like Bennett and Sherman and blame the franchise for your ills. You made a fool of yourself begging the Cowboys to sign you. Guess what your value or play isn’t what you think it is.

27. moemoe4321 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
    ———

Someone’s jealous that they’re broke and always will be.

28. akira554 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 9:49 am
    ============================

———

How does one thumb down explicit truth (of which I have highlighted here many a time)?

29. dryzzt23 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
    ———–

Cut the gaslighting act. Only players count toward the cap.

You people always side with ownership and general management. It’s deranged and sociopathic.

30. condescendingdude says:
    August 2, 2018 at 9:26 am
    You signed that contract, dude. Honor your word.
    ———–

We still — in 2018 — have people pounding the “honor the contract” line?

Are you serious right now?

31. I don’t have a problem with the amount of money the players get, but they aren’t going to get my sympathies because their current year salary is below the market value. When he signed his contract, it was at market value. He could have insisted on a one year contract, in which case each year he would get market value. Instead he accepted a long term contract, which decreased his downside risk from injury or poor performance, but part of that is that it also decreases the upside of performing well. That’s how it works.

He can hold out, that is a tactic he has, but to try to argue it is the right thing to do to pay him is a bit much I think.

32. smarter than you says: “Boy, that dynasty collapsed quickly.”
    ==================================

26 other teams haven’t even been to the Super Bowl since the Seahawks won in 2013. And since then, they’ve only gone 41-22-1. Pretty competitive. Those other 26 fanbases can only dream of having a decent team that Seattle had over that period.

33. Despite his achievements in one of the best defensive backfields ever, there is a short shelf life on smallish hard-hitting safeties. He’s starting to get hurt more, soon to lose a step or two with age, and he’s always been a bit quirky. Everyone else sees the same thing, making him hard to trade, and holding out means teams can ride it out for a bargain price.

34. Mr. Wright 212 says:

August 2, 2018 at 10:05 am

I’m tired of greedy players not honoring their contracts. I support the owners. Thomas was a racist kneeler anyhow.

————————————–

Nailed it brother.

35. Great safety but also benefited from having a strong supporting cast where he could play centerfield. Been a top 5 safety since his arrival to the league. Hard to pay a guy who flirted with retirement after the first major injury he had, leaves the Seahawks vulnerable to pay that much with the distinct possibility he could up and leave on a whim.

36. The average football player in this country doesn’t play in the NFL, the average high school football player is either ends up in prison or working as a security guard. If you are not one of the Top 1% in your chosen profession don’t compare your salary to a professional athlete.
    With that being said, Earl needs to relax, go to work, stay healthy & prove that he’s still one of the top players at his position then get paid next year.

37. @morr24,

He is a tad undersized safety on the wrong side of 30.

He just turned 29 in May, swifty, and him being a “tad undersized” hasn’t affected his stats negatively whatsoever. He already has a good chance to be in the HOF, and if he plays at a high level for another 2 or 3 years, he will likely cement that status.

At least know what you are talking about before spouting off, bro.

38. Nobody cares if you guys feel insulted by players wanting a raise. With more money, they usually have to pay higher taxes. With that being said, the lifespan of their career is much shorter than yours and they have plenty of people relying on their income. You don’t put in any of the physical demands a professional athlete does and most likely half the mental. Please stop comparing your occupations. They don’t equate.

39. Whaa whaa. I’m a Walmart stock boy. You get paid millions to play a game. Whaa.

You’re basic. He’s not.

Get your money Earl. Unfortunately, they won’t cave. Only because safeties don’t have much leverage. They probably think you’re doing them a favor

40. “Making you play out your contract is also part of the business.”

Just sayin……

41. Person 1: “2/3RDS OF THE EARTH IS COVERED BY WATER AND THE OTHER THIRD IS COVERED BY EARL THOMAS PAY THE MAN!!!!!!”

Person 2: “Stupid spoiled brat athletes you signed that paper now honor it rabble rabble rabble…”

^^^^ Equally annoying.

42. He holds the cards. Doesn’t matter if he has a contract. The Seahawks need to trade him before the deadline. You’re not getting more than a third rounder unless an injury happens and a team gets desperate.

43. Time to move on, if no deal will be made just move on from each other. Team can get something now instead of his value going down and getting nothing in return. There are plenty of seahawks who want to be there give them a chance and move on from Thomas.

44. They ( Seahawks) Had to know this day was coming with all the high priced D-Talent they signed 6 years ago.

Letting go and trading off the older talent is NFL standard operating procedure.

Clearly he see this on his own team. It shouldn’t have been a surprise to him. Standing firm on getting a new contract after signing a long term one… is not NFL standard operating procedure. In fact history bears out that very very few players get new contracts over existing contracts. gronk…jones…..get adjustments…..and This guys isn’t in the class of those two

45. If he expects sympathy from people who work for a living he’s mistaken. Most people who work for a living won’t even come close to making $8.5M their entire lives, yet that $8.5M is an insult to Thomas. That’s what I call clueless.

46. Also… lets just see how good this guy is with all the D- talent that was shipped out ….. bet he isn’t nearly as productive with out all those guys… shut up… play and get paid.

47. The Seahawks should just move on by trading him to whatever team maximizes their return value. Because you either put yourself back in the position of struggling with the cap by constantly extending players before their contract expires. Or you hope to get a guy to return on his final year that head could not fully be in the game. This is a guy that in 2016 thought about retiring after breaking his head, seen 2 of his teammates being force to retire due to injury, and another the situation with Sherman; so do he give it his all on plays that made him an all-pro or do he now hold back from making those plays to avoid injuries? We already seen a simple size of that last year when the Seahawks became more vulnerable to the deep ball.

48. whenwilliteverend says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:17 am

0 1 Rate This
    —————————————————————-
    He works very hard for a living as well in addition to being one of the most talented at his profession. Most people who are as talented at what the do as him & work as hard as him at me probably make more than him. How much do you think the best bankers in this country make?

49. Funny how all you guys insisting that players honor their contracts think nothing of the fact that the owners often cut a player and DO NOT honor their side of the same contract.

The right to terminate a player’s contract is one of the terms NEGOTIATED into the contract. That’s the reason the important part is the signing bonuses and guarantees. It is not a case of the owners not honoring their side of the contract. The player accepts that term and the owner’s right to cut him when they sign the contract. I don’t understand why people don’t realize this.

50. “Earl Thomas vows that he will not return to the Seahawks until they meet his contract demands.”

I demand you go work on a loading dock for $10 an hour, Precious.

——————————————————————-

Says the loading dock worker who pays $300 in tickets and $50 in food so he and his family can go watch Earl Thomas play football for 60 minutes while wearing his jersey.

51. It’s a same old story in the NFL…if a player outperforms his contract and wants more money, he’s labeled as selfish. However, if he under-performs, he’s either asked to take a pay cut or released. Don’t blame him. Blame the NFLPA for caving to the NFL in 2011 (I believe that was the year) when they agreed to the terms of the last CBA.

52. I’m not a Seahawks fan, but in this instance, I’m in their side. Knucklehead signed the long contract, now you have to fulfill it. Next time sign 3 years at the time if you want to keep getting raises or your pay rate up to date with new contracts.

53. I keep hearing from players how they have to live with the team cutting them at any time so therefore the owners have everything their way with their contracts. While it’s true the players salaries aren’t guaranteed, how about these things the team has to live with all the time?:
    1. Players who sign big contracts and get a big signing bonus and then their play slips drastically. I have never seen a player offer to give back some of their salary because they played like garbage. And the facts show that free agents who get large contracts and big signing bonuses are far more likely to under-achieve than over-achieve with their new teams.
    2. Players get a big bonus and large salary and then they get a season ending injury. The teams still have to pay them even though they are not contributing anything.
    3. The salary cap. The salary cap is absolutely necessary otherwise the small market teams would be at a huge disadvantage. The players understand that but they also cause their teams problems when they get huge contacts because other players are surely going to be released because the team has to get under the cap. I’ve never seen a QB who gets a hundred million dollar contract worry about a couple of veterans who get cut because they can’t afford to pay them and stay under the cap. Look at Jordy Nelson, for example. I loved him playing for the Packers, but he is no spring chicken anymore and he’s been hurt the last couple of seasons, too. And he knows fully well the Packers have to pay Aaron Rodgers the most money anyone has ever gotten in NFL history. So — instead of complaining the Packers “low-balled” him, he should complain that if Aaron Rodgers wasn’t going to be getting all that money, he probably could have stayed in Green Bay.
    Thomas is under contract and he is holding out. If I were the Seahawks, I’d either trade him or fine him every penny they are allowed to fine him under the contract. And if he chooses to hold out all season, I’d let him.
    The bottom line is, the Players Association wants every player to ask for the most money they can squeeze out of the team. They believe that it raises the bar for every player. But the truth is, it only raises the bar for those guys who are at the top of the heap at their position. It hurts many more players who are good players but have to take pay cuts or get released or traded because the team can’t afford to pay them. I think the Players Association would be better served to negotiate a deal with the owners whereby there is a definitive top and bottom pay scale for every position, based on the player’s performance. They could use an independent firm to establish where a player ranks based on his performance and even factor in the strength of the team around him. That way QB’s wouldn’t get a third or more of the teams’ salary cap and good veteran players wouldn’t have to take pay cuts, be released, or be traded. So I blame them as much as I blame the owners and GM’s for the way things are with salaries.

54. djstat says:
    August 2, 2018 at 8:41 am

-3-—3333333———————————

But they can’t drag you out of bed and make you go to work.

55. I can’t blame him. When you see water around your ankles, it’s time to follow the rats and abandon ship.

56. zhawk12 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:00 am
    “Making you play out your contract is also part of the business.”

Just sayin……

————

That is why part of most contracts are guaranteed…..potentially cutting the player is already baked in

57. zhawk12 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:00 am

“Making you play out your contract is also part of the business.”

“Funny how all you guys insisting that players honor their contracts think nothing of the fact that the owners often cut a player and DO NOT honor their side of the same contract.

Just sayin……”

Actually, you are incorrect. Owners do have to honor their contracts. It is called GUARANTEED MONEY. Case in point, Kam Chancellor is done, but is still getting his guaranteed money. Contracts are set up with a salary, a certain percentage which is guaranteed. It is a protection for the players. The non-guaranteed portion assists the organization in the even of poor performance, etc. But to say a team doesn’t live up to a contract when they cut a player is incorrect based on the terms of that contract. Thomas signed a long-term contract to ensure he was protected. To do that, he gives up a little cash on the back-end from escalating salaries. But he wants the best of both worlds: the guarantees and the top end later. Earl has screwed himself. His foray to the Cowboys’ locker room and his hold out are going to cost him. He’s become toxic. My sense is that had he not done the Cowboy thing and had showed up at camp, the Seahawks would be trying to take care of him right now.

58. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 10:02 am
    citpyrc says:
    August 2, 2018 at 8:41 am
    ————

Stop speaking on another man’s negotiations and money.

1st Amendment. Freedom of Speech. Think. For a change.

59. Remember when we had 3 strong auto makers in this country. Remember what the workers did to those companies with their greed? Wouldn’t it be nice if there was something to do in Detroit that would provide blue collar jobs? Sorry, the goons chased them all away. And they thought it would last forever. Couldn’t happen to the NFL, right?

When you try to bleed the boss dry you’re only bleeding your fellow workers.

60. When you try to bleed the boss dry you’re only bleeding your fellow workers.
    ======

Seahawks players bleeding Paul Allen dry??

Impossible.

LITERALLY impossible.

61. I feel like his wife has to meet with him every night for 15 minutes to reassure him to ‘stand strong’ and get their money. Earl’s words don’t exactly sound like they are coming from his own thoughts. I bet he caves 1st week of the season and tries to smooth it over to play out his last year on a good note. He’s getting crushed by fans here for this and it will weigh heavily on him that his rep is being sullied in the northwest.

62. if you actually read the article ET wrote – he doesn’t come off as a bad dude. it’s funny to see his play so criticized now, he’s been a heart-and-soul guy for the Hawks, played his butt off, played hurt – and he’s still really good.

I guess i’m very much in the minority here, but I don’t really hold this against him – it’s likely his last point of leverage to get a last high-end contract, and he’s right, one play and he’s lost every bit of that leverage. Of course, I wish he was handling it differently and was in camp. But I’m not gonna suddenly hate the guy over this.

63. Earl, you won’t get the money you want. Teams are not longer paying Eric Berry money to 30-year-old safety’s, even if they are future Hall of Famers. Report to camp, take your $8.4 million dollars, have a great season and become a free agent next year. I’m sure somebody will overpay you then.

Signed, Seahawks Nation

64. Both sides make sense from their respective perspectives.

The problem is that Earl is almost 30 and was hurt part of the last two years. An undersized safety pushing 30 with injuries starting is not a good gamble for a big guaranteed contract.

So here we sit.

65. itsalwaysabout says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:09 pm

When you try to bleed the boss dry you’re only bleeding your fellow workers.

—————————————————————————————

Wow, do you need a history lesson. Go back and read how the auto companies treated their employees when they tried to unionize. They hired goons to beat and even kill them.
    Our government was as much to blame as the unions and companies themselves for the decline in our auto companies. They put unrealistic standards on the auto makers and gave them deadlines to achieve them. It was necessary, but our government should have told them they’d assist them in any way they could instead of demanding they get it done by a certain date or face huge fines.
    Meanwhile, Japan’s government went to their auto makers and asked them how they could help them get stronger to compete with the U.S. They kicked our butts because they had help from their government rather than being dictated to by them.
    The other thing to remember is this. American car manufacturers were producing gas guzzling large cars when the oil embargo happened, which crippled our auto makers. So it was easy for Japan to export their smaller, more efficient cars here. But why were the American cars large and gas guzzling? Because it’s what Americans wanted. That’s one thing which gets lost. Auto makers are just like every other business. They’ll produce what the market tells them to produce. In fact, we’re seeing the auto makers push high performance engines again. The high performance cars today have more horsepower than ever before. To think that there are cars which put out over 800 horsepower right off the assembly line is incredible. The big difference is today the technology is much better so the cars today are much more economical than they were in the late 60’s and early 70’s.
    Blaming unions for the decline in our auto manufacturing is unfair, to me. It’s a much bigger story than that.
    As for the NFL — as much as I dislike the players getting hundred million dollar contracts, the fact is it’s the owners who are raking in the millions and it’s the owners who stick it to the fans with things such as seat licenses and taking games away and playing them in Europe.

66. whenwilliteverend says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:17 am
    ———

Doubt he cares. As a matter of fact, know he doesn’t.

Why do you people make these players’ negotiations out to be about your miserable dead-end lives?

67. itsalwaysabout says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:04 pm
    Mr. Wright 212 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 10:02 am
    citpyrc says:
    August 2, 2018 at 8:41 am
    ————

Stop speaking on another man’s negotiations and money.

1st Amendment. Freedom of Speech. Think. For a change.
    ————

Only applies when whining about someone else’s pockets, but NOT the players who protested?

Thanks for confirming.

68. Mr. Wright 212 says: August 2, 2018 at 4:57 pm
    whenwilliteverend says: August 2, 2018 at 11:17 am
    ———
    Doubt he cares. As a matter of fact, know he doesn’t.

Negotiation’s over, contract’s signed. See it’s simple, helped ya out there, no more worry about anyone’s miserable dead-end life.

69. Mr. Wright 212 says: August 2, 2018 at 10:05 am
    condescendingdude says: August 2, 2018 at 9:26 am
    You signed that contract, dude. Honor your word.
    ———–
    We still — in 2018 — have people pounding the “honor the contract” line?
    Are you serious right now?

Unclear on that “man of your word” concept? Think honor changes? It’s universal through time, but ingrates don’t get it until it affects them.