Football returns tonight

AP

Football is back. Sort of.

The regular season doesn’t begin for five more weeks. But the preseason launches tonight, with the first of 65 exhibition games coming in Canton, as the Ravens face the Bears.

Coverage begins at 8:00 p.m. ET on NBC. (It’s a minor fact that helped tip the scales in favor of me choosing to write this specific post.)

The Hall of Fame game moved from Sunday to Thursday after a paint-drying debacle forced the 2016 game to be scrapped. So instead of converting the field from its configuration for the enshrinement ceremony on Saturday to football-ready on Sunday, they now play the game on Thursday, two days before bringing out the bronze busts.

The best part about tonight’s game is that we’ll all get an initial chance to see where Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson might land on the bronze-bust-to-draft-bust scale. And maybe, just maybe, the Ravens will break out their much-discussed two-quarterback offense, at least for one play.

You’ll see every play on NBC tonight, as we begin the real countdown toward the launch of the new football season. And, as we have for nearly 17 years, will be here for you every step of the way.

64 responses to “Football returns tonight

1. Mainly interested in seeing the new helmet rule and subjectively the refs call it. There are guys out there who are trying desperately to make the team and I can’t imagine they’re going to be all that concerned with whether or not their helmets touch the ball carrier when attempting to make a tackle.

2. “The best part about tonight’s game is that we’ll all get an initial chance to see where Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson might land on the bronze-bust-to-draft-bust scale.”

Not really. Playing a guy whose supposed to become an NFL starter against 3rd stringers and slappies doesn’t tell a whole lot about anyone except they’re a step above the slappies.

Until he plays against a first string NFL defense in a regular season game its hard to tell much of anything.

3. Wasn’t the Hall of Fame game shown on cable only in the past? I wonder if TO will show up for the game even though he is boycotting the ceremony.

4. NBC does the best job broadcasting the NFL. It is one reason why Sunday Night Football has taken over Monday Night as the biggest event going every week. ESPN is a absolute embarrassment as far as NFL game coverage goes. FOX and CBS do decent jobs, but NBC is king.

I have a great feeling about this NFL season. I enjoy most of the discourse here minus the trolls. Let’s enjoy this season and it’s time to get this parted started!

I know pre season scores don’t matter in the big picture, but I am taking the Bears getting the 2.5 points.

#HallOfFameGame🏈

5. NBC does d the best job at televising the NFL…..Howard, Dandy Don & Frank, however, are rolling in their graves to see what ESPN has done to their legacy that took nearly 20 years to build….

6. People seeking to bet on a first preseason game where 90% of the players on the filed are unknown and likely to be driving UPS trucks in a few weeks have a serious issue.

Hopefully it will be a fun game to watch, but it won’t mean much. Or anything.

7. I will be watching tonight in the Sports/Music cave(I hate the term ManCave) tipping a few EastSide Dark Lagers and eating Taco Salad👏

—-

I looked up this EastSide brew….it looks interesting but I don’t think it is available in NH.

I also hate the Man Cave term. I may tune in to the game at some point, regardless, I’ll be having a few Clown Shoes Chocolate Somebreros along with quesadillas off the grill.

8. “Football returns tonight”

Yay!!!! Just ‘yay!!!. That was my immediate thought as soon as I read the headline. The article was interesting sure. But the headline was what meant everything to me.

9. I will watch this game up until I see some dumb ass kneel during the National Anthem. Then I’ll go watch something else like I did last year.

10. freefromwhatyouare says:
    August 2, 2018 at 10:41 am

———————
    Yeah, I csnt really call mine a man cave either, not when my wife (and when I have buddies over their wives) like sitting down there tipping beers and cheering for their teams just as much. They even wear jerseys more than the guys do.

On the other hand neither myself nor my friends ever even consider invading her sewing room. Perhaps I’l try floating the term Babe Cave on her some day. But it will have to be a slow day when I am craving some excitement. (Like in those ads for the cars website)

11. Preseason is better than nothing. I’m looking forward to seeing Lamar Jackson in action, but it will also be interesting to see RGIII.

12. These teams should get a week off next week rather than play 5 meaningless games. 4 meaningless games is tough to stomach when EVERYONE holds their breath regarding injuries. Add an extra week of camp to sharpen skills.

13. The only suspense is whether this fake game will still draw better ratings than the real 9/20 TNF game between the Jets and the Browns.

14. Since our only tv is in the kitchen on top of the fridge, i`ll be watch the game in the “dogcave”. eating a store brand bologna sandwich with luke warm keystone lite. im pumped.

15. “Even the worst NFL game is better than any other sport.” Especially soccer, which I loathe with a passion. Pro football, NFL style, is the best sport on the planet, hands down.

16. 345snarkavenue says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:25 am
    the term Babe Cave seems to inspire images of women in bikinis drinking beer.

———————
    Add jerseys over the bikinis and you have what goes on in our sports cave.

The sewing room/babe cave is a different picture entirely.

17. silvernblacksabbath says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:00 am
    Politico football is back baby!!! lol

wartface says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:02 am

—————-
    You guys are free to see what you want in it. Im going to watch a football game and ignore anything that’s not a football game.

18. tfootball1234 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:54 am

——-

your post reminded me of something I saw last winter when I was in Louisville KY. Before catching my flight home, I stopped in a southern style cooking restaurant (the food was amazing). Now, I realize college basketball is big there, and there were TVs everywhere, but I must admit I have never been in a place that has TVs over the urinals, so it was a 1st for me.

Is this common?

19. Wonder if we’ll hear any talk about Urlacher and Lewis tonight?

Lewis may be a murderer off the field but I’ve been watching this game for 40 years and he is truly the best LB to ever play the position.

20. TruthfulDolphinsFanNotWearingBlinders says:
    August 2, 2018 at 10:32 am
    I liked the HOF game played on Saturday afternoon on Wide World of Sports, yes i’m old.
    —–
    Whoa, Nelly! We could have us a real slobberknocker!

21. freefromwhatyouare, Sunday Night Football only surpassed Monday Night Football when the schedulers gave premium games to NBC.

22. Sorry, wouldn’t watch this game if you paid me. Merely an exhibition scrimmage running vanilla packages with scrubs that very few will make the final roster, Knock yourselves out, fanboys.

23. It’s like methadone to a drug addict. It doesn’t give you the same rush but it takes away the craving. Just hearing Al Michaels and Chris’s banter; the ref’s calling first down or announcing some penalty. It tells you that life begins again….

24. thefappingbearcutler says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:41 am
    Trubisky won’t throw a pass. They are hiding the fact that he’s an int machine and can’t read defenses.
    You mean like Matt Stafford in his first year when he threw 13 TD’s and 20 INT’s, completed 53% of his passes and had a rating of 61?

25. rank booth says:
    August 2, 2018 at 4:15 pm
    thefappingbearcutler says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:41 am

************

You mean the rookie Stafford that inherited an 0-16 team played in 10 games and threw 13 TD’s with over 2200 yards? He at least aired it out. Trubisky will lead the league and int’s this year. If they decide to let him pass over 5 yards.

26. thefappingbearcutler says:
    August 2, 2018 at 4:32 pm
    rank booth says:
    August 2, 2018 at 4:15 pm
    thefappingbearcutler says:
    August 2, 2018 at 11:41 am

************

__________________________________

You mean Stafford that has been to three playoff games and choked because of INTs and fumbles, yet their fans blamed the refs.

Patricia is in way over his head. Trubisky hasn’t even begun his career and your predictions are nothing more than statements based on no factual evidence.

Cutler even has a playoff win and Stafford doesn’t.

27. thefappingbearcutler says:
    August 2, 2018 at 4:32 pm
    ===================================================================================================================================
    Yes, that one. The guy who was throwing to Calvin Johnson, while Trubisky’s best receiver was Kendall Wright. Trubisky’s Yards per attempt was 6.6 in his first year, while Stafford’s was 6.0. And their YPC was almost the same, with Stafford at 11.3 and Trubisky at 11.2.

28. So a thread about a preseason game devolves into Stafford bashing in a game he’s not even playing in? Yep, you guys are in midseason form. lol

29. I see an 0-16 season coming for this Bears team. They are working on taking the torch from the Browns as the worst team in the NFL. They have been bad for some time, but it’s this year they hit rock bottom. Very little talent and a horrible starting QB.