Johnathan Cyprien out for year with torn ACL

Getty Images

The Titans are down a starting safety for the entire 2018 season.

Johnathan Cyprien left practice with trainers on Wednesday and coach Mike Vrabel announced on Thursday that Cyprien has been diagnosed with a torn ACL.

Cyprien joined the Titans as a free agent in 2017 after four years with the Jaguars. He missed time with a hamstring injury early in the season, but wound up starting 10 regular season games and both playoff contests. He had 57 tackles and a sack in the regular season and added 11 tackles in the postseason.

The Titans have Kevin Byard at their other safety spot. Kendrick Lewis and Brynden Trawick are the experienced in-house options they can consider to replace Cyprien on the first team.

24 responses to “Johnathan Cyprien out for year with torn ACL

1. He’s the second member of the Titans’ secondary to be done for the season. Add him to the growing list of Titans players that are temporarily or permanently unavailable… it’s a mess… I’m starting to dread the regular season. Who’s next?

2. Vrabel had better NOT even consider Reid or any of his fellow kneelers.
    Reid and his buddies made a choice, and since their choices would result in a PR nightmare and lost revenue for any franchise that signs them, then their choices have limited their NFL employment opportunities.

3. It’s easy to forget in the offseason how brutal the NFL is for injuries.

Now that camps have started, we seem to hear about a season ender every day.

And now preseason is about to start. There will be many more starters lost in the next four weeks.

4. The Titans will be looking good by January. Speaking of January, I recall how he laid the wood to Kelce in the Chief’s playoff loss in KC.

5. “dryzzt23 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Vrabel had better NOT even consider Reid or any of his fellow kneelers.”

Dog whistle much?

6. This is why Reid shouldn’t have filed a lawsuit. His strategy should have been to wait until training camps and for an injury just like this, and he would have been top of the list for first calls. Instead there’s a pending lawsuit and nobody’s going to touch him while that’s unresolved.

7. Rdog says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:41 pm
    ————————–

Eh. Every team has injuries. It’s better to lose role players than starts. Losing Cyprien hurts but isnt going to derail the season.

Give me Eric Reid!

8. tinye67 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 2:04 pm

————-

Disagree, this could give him leverage. “If you sign me I will drop this lawsuit”

9. “Kneelers are free to sign with the CFL , any other pro or semi-pro teams, or any other employer including McDonalds.”

See that’s the problem with the faux patriotism/fascism Putin’s Poodle is pushing.

Guess what, they’re also free to sign with an NFL team whether you like it or not, that’s called actual freedom. Just as you have the freedom to no longer cheer for a given team if you don’t like the fact that they’ve signed Reid or other players you don’t like. They’re certainly free to sign with an NFL team if they get an offer though.

10. Rdog says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:41 pm

———————–

Losing our 5th corner wasn’t really a big deal.

11. Titans aren’t signing clown-boy Reid. Why sign Reid when Kenny Vaccaro is available. Vaccaro isn’t a loud mouth and he can actually play Safety.

12. Tough news for any team losing a starter so early in the year. It always boggles my mind how many injuries occur in the NFL compared to other professional sports. I mean, even hockey is a full-contact sport, but the injuries, at least the severe ones, are thankfully much less common. Football can be a brutal sport.

13. Titans aren’t signing clown-boy Reid. Why sign Reid when Kenny Vaccaro is available. Vaccaro isn’t a loud mouth and he can actually play Safety.

=====
    Guys who can actually play safety are normally resigned after their rookie contract is up. There is a reason he is a FA. He can’t cover a turtle running through quicksand.

14. Bad news for Malcom Butler, I can tell you that. Without help over the top for Butler on the outside vs a team’s #1 WR, he is not a lock down CB.

If they use him like that for that contract, watch out.

15. dryzzt23 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:57 pm
    Vrabel had better NOT even consider Reid or any of his fellow kneelers.

34 75 Rate This

———————–

I can’t see Amy Adams ordering Robinson to sign Reid in that hillibilly, right-wingy Nashville market.

16. tylawspick6 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 4:25 pm

# ## # # ##
    No, giving washed up losers a second chance is BB’s thing.

17. garciavega3 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 2:55 pm

——————–

He was a misfit disaster as a traditional safety, although I’d say that basically puts him on par with Cyprien.

Just say what you really mean….I know Reid would be a huge upgrade but I don’t want him here because that makes me uncomfortable.

At least then I could respect your honesty.

18. If you actually watch football, you’d know Vaccaro hasn’t really played safety in 3 years. The Saints used him as nickel linebacker two years ago, and slot corner last year.

At least then I could respect your honesty.
    ——————————————

Ah ah ah but I dont watch football, yet the Titans promptly sign Vaccaro. Love when load mouth know-it-alls think they have an actual clue. Best part is I’m no Titans fan. Just a trolling NFC East fan who has a bit of clue how players fit systems. Go Gmen!

19. If you actually watch football, you’d know Vaccaro hasn’t really played safety in 3 years. The Saints used him as nickel linebacker two years ago, and slot corner last year.

At least then I could respect your honesty.
    ——————————————

Ah ah ah but I dont watch football, yet the Titans promptly sign Vaccaro. Love when load mouth know-it-alls think they have an actual clue. You obviously don’t understand the type of player Jonathan Cyprien is. Best part is I’m no Titans fan. Just a trolling NFC East fan who has a bit of clue how players fit systems. Go Gmen!