Packers coach believes new helmet rules won’t apply to “phone-booth football”

AP

Confusion and uncertainty continues to exist regarding the manner in which the NFL’s new helmet rules will apply.

As written, the rule that prohibits the lowering of the helmet and initiating contact with the helmet applies anywhere and everywhere, including at the line of scrimmage. The rule that prohibits ramming, butting, or spearing with any portion of the helmet except when incidental to conventional blocking and tackling applies anywhere and everywhere, including at the line of scrimmage. And the fact sheet recently distributed by the NFL makes clear the reality that, even though it may be hard for officials to see the instances among the scrum of bodies that collide at the snap, the rules still apply there.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy believes otherwise.

“That’s not what they’re after,” McCarthy told reporters on Thursday regarding the helmet-to-helmet contact that will occur when a running back trying to convert on third and short drops his helmet. “I mean, lowering yourself. You’re always teaching your players to play with good pad level. . . . And really the phone-booth football, whether it’s third-and-one, short yardage and goal line, those types of situations. Those are not really the focus where the concern is high. . . . The phone-booth football is not an area of emphasis.”

It may not be an area of emphasis, but the rules still apply in that area. Which means that, at best, a disconnect exists between the language of the rule and its looming application. At worst, McCarthy and everyone else are about to learn that the area of emphasis is broader than believed, and that the same forces that slipped these two helmet rules through football’s five hole will ensure that the rules are applied in a way that takes the helmet completely and totally out of the game, in open space and in phone booths.

The coaches who realize that and adjust accordingly will be in the best position to avoid giving up field position in 15-yard chunks.

55 responses to “Packers coach believes new helmet rules won’t apply to “phone-booth football”

1. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart once said of obscenity, “I know it when I see it.”

Likewise, we know spearing when we see it.

As to phone booth football, the exception for contact that is incidental to conventional blocking and tackling should cover that.

2. They still haven’t called the RB-lowering-helmet-outside-the-tackle-box rule that Emmitt Smith was bugging out about a few years ago. Haven’t seen it called one time.

3. I mean, lowering yourself. You’re always teaching your players to play with good pad level. .

—-
    Green Bay coaches have always taught to lead and tackle with the helmet. Just look at Clay Matthews’ play.

4. We’ll see. That’s the problem.

This rule could be much ado about nothing or it could be the biggest and most profound change in NFL history.

It could maybe improve safety while maintaining the game, or it could destroy the game as we know it. Or something in between.

Whatever the Packers coach or any coach thinks doesn’t matter. It’s all about how it will be called by the refs during the games.

So, it’s a big ‘we’ll see’.

5. I’ve watched the RB & OL videos and they’re excellent, starting with examples of poor head position & then examples of good head position. It’s not a difficult concept but the first people buying into this should be HEAD COACHES. McCarthy is showing that he’s a doofus with his head buried in the sand.

RB’s can be successful with their head up, OL’s don’t need to lead with their head and wrap their arms around a defender ~ a little actual coaching and emphasis will go “fix” these problems ~ coaches just can’t be lazy and say “it doesn’t apply here”… it DOES apply everywhere.

6. I forced myself to watch the World Cup to prepare for our NFL future of whiny effeminate flopping. I have a feeling the Giants did the same.

7. LandOf10000MethLabs says:
    August 2, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Cue the “Mike McCarthy is fat” comments from bitter, disgruntled Viking fans…
    ——————————————————————————–
    Okay—“Mike McCarthy is fat”, but that’s from a non-bitter, non-disgruntled Viking Fan Lol…..

8. I’m all for safety, absolutely crucial to protect players’ health. However, the way the game is going, the NFL might as well make all games (preseason, regular, post-season) like the Pro Bowl at this point, where hard tackling is pretty much non-existent. Football as we know it is about to fade. Next decade or so.

9. Probably the only way to protect Aaron Rodgers from injury is by putting him inside a phone booth.

10. What Mike is saying is that the Packers never get called for blatant holding penalties and doesn’t expect blatant helmet violations to be called on his oline either….

11. The rule that prohibits ramming, butting, or spearing with any portion of the helmet except when incidental to conventional blocking and tackling applies anywhere and everywhere, including at the line of scrimmage.

Well, at least we won’t have to worry about each ref interpreting this a different way as this is so crystal clear.

Any chance we can get a clear definition of “incidental”? Are we talking Ryan Shazier incidental?

12. tokyosandblaster says:

August 2, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Will we get clarification before or after Vikings fans disappear from this site (week 2)?

Tough to say.

Tough to say, indeed.
    —————
    Is this considered a “civil” post?
    Tough to say.

13. filthymcnasty3 says:

August 2, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Perhaps Viking fans should worry about the health of their own coaching staff.
    ===========================================================

perhaps you should try being a human being once? Let me know when one of your family members dies. I will be sure to come to the funeral and heckle you for it, you POS.

I mean, I’m all for trash talk and all that but, you border on ridiculous. You’ve done it under this screen name and under your filthy mcnasty moniker too.

You’ve also made fun of Stringer’s death and the people dying in the I-35 bridge incident.

You are a pathetic person, there is just no way around that. If Florio had any sense he’d ban you from this site.

GFY, d-bag.

14. LandOf10000MethLabs says:
    August 2, 2018 at 12:12 pm
    Cue the “Mike McCarthy is fat” comments from bitter, disgruntled Viking fans…

***

You are the first, and only person to say anything about Mike McCarthy being fat. So that’s awkward.

15. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Is this considered a “civil” post?
    Tough to say.

——————–

Hey, friend!

I am not making fun of someone getting hurt.

Enjoy your day!!

16. filthymcnasty3 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 12:40 pm
    Perhaps Viking fans should worry about the health of their own coaching staff.

***

What Viking fan/post are you referencing to here? I’m looking at the comments above yours, and I can’t quite figure out what you’re talking about. Fake News.

17. @billteey 53

While I agree that McNasty is a complete fool, please post the same for guys like cheese,Ariana, Jeffrey and many others

18. irishgary says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:18 pm
    @billteey 53

—-

I agree. Filthy doesn’t represent us well.

But Billy won’t ever say anything against Vikings fans. They can say whatever they want, because they’re entitled to say whatever they want, whenever they want.

They just feel like, due to that success in the 70’s, they are superior.

19. I’ve never seen any of them make fun of someone’s death. This jerk did it on one of the funeral stories.

Look, I am not defending any of those guys. I don’t cheer for injuries to packers players. I normally would let it go, but this guy under (at least ) 2 screen names makes jokes about the death of players. it’s pathetic.

If one of the Packers coaches died, I wouldn’t find any humor or a sense of happiness out of it.

There are 13 people know giving him a thumbs up. it’s pathetic, he should be gone.

This goes back years with this guy.

20. mark murphy is seriously tracking the urban meyer situation.
    ======

Just when I thought it couldn’t get worse than Sherman and McCarthy, you go and say something like that…

21. Ugh. Tokyo. You have done it under both screen names. It’s ok. Florio has had his attention called to it. Way to be passive/aggressive and not address me directly. I didn’t expect anything less from a coward like you.

Only a post like you finds someone death funny. I hope your karma comes back on you tenfold.

Just pathetic. Over football you do this? What a psychopath.

22. It’s not funny and that 10 and counting packers fans agree with you speaks volumes about your fanbase.
    —-
    Yup, this is the Packer fan base. A few decent ones, like 3, spoke out against Tokyo doing this last week but most stay silent and thumbs up him.

I’m glad he did this last week on a raider story. So raider fans got to see how the Packer fan base really is.

And his next post he will talk about viking fan morals. 🤡😛 🤣

23. billtetley53 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:43 pm
    Just pathetic. Over football you do this? What a psychopath.

——

I’m ok with you calling me pretty much anything.

But I am not ok with Filthy, and I am not ok with those kinds of jokes…

It’s just me, man. Same Tokyo with one account since day one.

24. If I’m being honest, I think cheeseisfattening is really the following screen names:

wiscowomenrplump
    wisco’s favorite son Jeffrey b dahmed
    filthymcnasty3
    ariani
    contra
    numba1wiscosportsfan

just to name a few.

He/she dedicates his life to making Packers fans look bad. Sad, really.

25. Just so funny. Blocking the guy in front of you is not the type of hit that will be called. The NFL’s explanation videos were clear as day. If you are trying to hurt someone with your head then you will be penalized or ejected. Just stirring the pot here.

26. If I’m being honest, I think cheeseisfattening is really the following screen names:
    ======

Really? You think he has more screen names than tylawbradylover?

27. Can’t wait till my team’s 4th Q conversion on 3d and 1 at the other team’s 25 gets turned into a 15 yard penalty because my RB who has been hitting the line the same way for 15 years in HS, College, Pro, lowered his head to get the yard.

28. aarons444 says:

Really? You think he has more screen names than tylawbradylover?

—-

I don’t know.

But I don’t think any GB fan would make fun of someone’s death. Seems like a fan from other fan base trying to make us look bad.

29. LandOf10000MethLabs says:
    August 2, 2018 at 12:12 pm
    Cue the “Mike McCarthy is fat” comments from bitter, disgruntled Viking fans…

—————————————————————————

Or from the majority of Packers fans, including myself, who think he’s a moron and should have been fired years ago.

30. Despite all the childish back and forth by posters above, McCarthy’s basic point is that as a point of emphasis, the spearing with the helmet penalties are not likely to be called on running plays inside the tackles. That’s his main point, nothing more, nothing less.

31. Who is on the competition committee that comes up with these new (gray) rules? Perhaps those people need to be grilled on this topic and they can expound on this for everyone and show examples. Like tonight…..on NFL Total Access or something. Show us….before the season starts please. I think it’s time for new blood on that committee for one as every year too many new rules are being implemented. What’s the saying…..if it ain’t broke…..

32. billtetley53 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:03 pm

_________________________

Yes, and the fact that you feel 10 people out of several hundreds of thousands of fans speaks volumes to you about an entire fan base leaves me to seriously question your judgement on anything.

And please, stop being such a hypocrite.
    The fact I’ve never seen you, or even a single Barney, post anything against one of your own fans portraying himself as a notorious Wisconsin serial killer, I won’t really care how any Packer fan posts on this site.

33. The helmet rule should apply to all – even to big cheating frauds like Aaron R – that jerk has built a career on free plays and points that he can’t get any other ways. There is plenty of evidence to support his pathetic ability to run a standard offense.

And I will add his is a dirty player when has to make defensive stops – I’d like some of his hits delivered to defenders penalized.

34. Someone asked about a phone booth? Mike M. From Greenbay said something about them. Well, a phone booth is used for shelters? Same as a library, they use to have books.( Are there any library’s still open?) Same as phone booth’s. My 13 yrs old asked me what they were? Like I said, Libraries use to have books, but I don’t know if maybe there for shelters now as well? Or maybe to meet people, that want to date or marriage, or horney things? Not sure??????

35. wafflestomp says:

August 2, 2018 at 4:44 pm

billtetley53 says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:03 pm

_________________________

And please, stop being such a hypocrite.
    ==========================================================

Well waffle, it now up to 50 fans that have given it a thumbs up. Let’s say for the sake of argument there is 500 packers fans that read the comments( a high estimate in my opinion) That means 10% of your fan base agrees with it.
    Do you feel that 10% is too much, too little?

Say GB has 1 million fans, carrying those numbers over, that is 100,000 people who feel its ok to make fun of someone’s death. That is unacceptable. That Frank Booth, a “Bears fan” is the only 1 I have seen call anyone out, is very telling also.

As far as the Dahmer dude. I don’t read any of his stuff. He didn’t show up on here until filthy/Tokyo started making fun of Stringer dying and the I-35 bridge incident.
    I am not justifying him. I think it is idiotic on the posters part to use that name, it’s not remotely funny and it’s inane. Just as is the barney/gumby name calling.
    Jesus, we are all for the most part 18 and over are we not? This is all middle school bs that goes on here(myself included). I do not expect it to change. This was going on here in 2009 when I used to post a lot more. Same insults, same arguments, some of the same posters.

I go to other sites besides this one if I want serious, mature football debates. This site went downhill along time ago. I come here to blow off steam.

So, in closing I apologize for the dahmer guy, for Ariani, for codylaws . I hope that makes you feel better. I don’t agree with them.

I do not need you to apologize for filthy/tokyo, for stellar, or for anyone else.

Most of these idiots post the stuff they do for attention. They do not care if it is positive or negative. They just want to be noticed. Maybe, if both sides stop giving them attention, or we band together to try and rid the site of them, we could have some civil, intelligent debates?

I doubt that it will happen, it didn’t work before, but maybe it is worth a try again? this site used to be a lot of fun at one time, it isn’t anymore.

What do you say Waffle? Do you want to lead the charge for your side of the aisle?