Adam Thielen on contract: I have an agent so I don’t have to worry about that

Getty Images

Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen signed a four-year, $19.2 million contract before last season and then led the Vikings with 91 catches for 1,276 yards during the regular season.

Stefon Diggs finished second on the team in both of those categories and just signed a five-year, $72 million extension that gives him an average annual salary that tops Thielen’s by nearly $10 million a year. That’s led to musing about whether Thielen will make his case for a raise.

Thielen didn’t say whether that was in the cards because it’s not on his mind. He said his agent “takes care of that stuff so I don’t have to worry about it.”

“When I signed my contract before last season, that’s why I did it, because I didn’t want to have to worry about it,” Thielen said, via the Pioneer Press. “I wanted to just go out and play football, and it allowed me to do that. I want to continue to do that, just play football, focus on the things I can control, and let the other people take care of that.”

Thielen does allow that “people are probably starting to realize that I’m a little better than they thought I was” and the delay in that realization makes him one of the bigger bargains in the league at the moment.

48 responses to “Adam Thielen on contract: I have an agent so I don’t have to worry about that

1. Amen! Dude is the exact opposite of the diva WR the league has an overabundance of. Even if you don’t like the Vikes, this guy is hard not to root for. He’s the typical hard hat and lunch pail player. Any team would take him.

2. My goodness the candor from this guy! Refreshing to see! Now only if Leonard Bell in Pittsburgh would take off the blinders and see that he was offered a very lucrative contract we wouldn’t have to hear about him anymore.

3. I think as a team you see how this season plays out and then decide what he’s worth. There might be some regression or he could explode into one of the league’s best. It looks like everyone’s doing this right and sports writers are just hoping for some internal conflict in their WR room.

4. Reading between the lines, I detect a schism in the Viking’s locker room which is bound to happen when you pay the #2 WR #1 money and then ask the #1 WR what he thinks? What do you think his opinion might be? I getting screwed real hard and nobody is even kissing me. The one thing you can kiss is the Viking’s Superbowl chances with a divided locker room.

5. I’m a Packers fan, and I respect the way he’s handling this. It’s so rare for a player (or PFT) to not whine about contracts. He signed it, he’s happy about the amount he got, and he’s honoring it.

6. gtodriver says:
    August 1, 2018 at 11:36 am
    Thielen understands that he signed a fair deal when he did. You won’t see him pulling an “Aaron Rodgers” and being passive/aggressive about needing a new deal. His ego fits inside his helmet – unlike some people…

Thielen: “people are probably starting to realize that I’m a little better than they thought I was” and the delay in that realization makes him one of the bigger bargains in the league at the moment.

That’s pretty passive/aggressive.

Looks like GTO doesn’t really know his team.

7. They’re likely going to have to cut or trade this guy out due to the wild overpayment of Diggs.

The Watkins and Cooks deals are so bad, the market is now all out of whack.

Never overpay at the sexy positions. Never. But, teams are doing it. lmao

8. whatjusthapped says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:03 am
    ————————————

I know it’s a strange concept for a Packer fan to see a player not complain about money every time they see a mic. I mean why else would anyone want to play there?
    Oh and the Vikings have two #1 receivers. Unlike the Packers with their #2, #4, and a whole lot of #6s

9. whatjusthapped says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:03 am

____________

I think you’re confusing the Vikings’ locker room with the Packers’ locker room. I believe it’s a Packer that is upset that he isn’t the highest paid player in the NFL. You think he isn’t looking around the locker room at the scrubs he has to carry and might be getting a little sick of it?

10. I love Thielen. He’s a local kid that went to a small local college and worked his way up from the practice squad to what he is now. The Vikings rewarded him and believed in him by giving him a nice contract a year before he broke out. I think it is in the best interests of both Thielen and the Vikings to let him play this year and then look at his contract. If he puts up another big season he should get a pay raise. The Vikings have done a very good job taking care of their players. I don’t see him holding out or a franchise tag.

11. Rate This

whatjusthapped says:

August 3, 2018 at 10:03 am

——

The Vikings paid Thielen a year early, before he broke out. That’s how it goes. That’s why Rodgers isn’t the highest paid QB. No reason for thielen to think the Vikings wont take care of him

12. whatjusthapped says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:03 am

—————-

You know nothing about the Vikings. Diggs is the #1. Diggs is more talented, he was #1 in contested catches (IN THE LEAGUE), he has the same level of Route Running, and catch ability. Diggs has more catches and yards than Antionio Brown did in his first three years. He gets all the double coverages and Thielen benefits from single coverage. There is no divided locker room. You and Packer nation are just wishing there was. Thielen grew up a Vikings fan, and is playing for his child hood team. He is not pushing for a new contract so there is no problem.

13. After Red McCombs traded Hall of Famer Randy Moss despite promising the new owner he wouldn’t do that before the sale was finalized, the Vikings have struggled mightily to find a #1 wide receiver. Now they finally have not one, but two. Thielen’s turn for a new contract was last year and he got a fair deal. Diggs’ turn for a new contract was this year and he got a fair deal. Thielen has already outplayed that deal but there’s a lot of time left on it. I’m sure he’ll get an adjustment to it at some point but the more important thing right now is winning a Super Bowl. When you have as many talented players in their prime as the Vikings, there isn’t a lot of extra money around to give out because it would be nice. I think we can wait until next year before we have to really be thinking about giving Thielen a nice bump in salary.

14. stellarperformance says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:33 am

He said a heck of a lot more than Rodgers has.
    _________

Your devotion to Rodgers is so cute. Do you really believe he and the Packers are negotiating a new contract with two years left on the current one without him saying a word to them about desiring a new contract?

15. Its weird. We’re getting into the same conversations.

Do a google search for best receivers.

Tell me how many times you see Diggs or Thielen listed above Davante Adams.

When you’ve completed your task, you won’t be able to legitimately say they are better than Adams.

16. He was asked and he answered, just like Rodgers has done. Neither one of them has uttered a word about their contracts, unasked. Anybody saying otherwise, about either guy, is just trolling; and poorly at that.

17. This is why you shouldn’t sign very long term contracts. If you can’t handle not being paid near the top as the market increases, then sign the 2-3 year contracts and re-negotiate.

18. The Almighty Cabbage says:

August 3, 2018 at 10:58 am

—————————
    Aaron Rodgers: “…I think it would have been done by now…”
    Adam Thielen: “…I have an agent for that…”

Most people can clearly see the differences in each of those statements.
    While Rodgers isn’t pouting, holding out or being a complete idiot, he clearly is more concerned about it than Thielen is.
    Rodgers is whining. Thielen cut it off so that there was no possible way of twisting it.
    It’s a clear difference.

19. Do Packer fans realize that as the cap goes up but the roster size stays the same that means contract sizes go up? The team doesn’t just bank the extra money. Stop comparing contracts now days to 3 or 4 years ago. I know math is hard though.

20. Nice, Screaming yellow zonkers.

Pick the quote that suits your argument and ignore all the rest.

Just like you pick and choose what is important for a team’s legacy.

Division championships in the 70s are WAY more important than Super Bowls and League Championships, right?

21. The Almighty Cabbage says:

====================================================
    My only dispute is your use of the word, “poorly” If a troll can elicit 3 or more emotional responses to a non sensical post, who’s to say it is done “poorly” when it gets the exact reaction that was intended.

22. lenthevikesfan says:
    August 3, 2018 at 11:37 am

—-

About as much as Vikes fans do…

They’re already saying that Rodgers’ contract will destroy the Packers cap space, and there isn’t even a new contract in place!
    I get it. Reality is hard.

23. Aaron Rodger’s quotes:

‘We don’t know each other that well, but just get this deal done with Matt first so I can get on with my life.'” (Aaron Rodgers at the superbowl)

“There have been many conversations about it. I think that there’s some merit to looking into where you do a non-traditional contractual agreement. If anybody at this point is gonna be able to do something like that, I think there needs to be a conversation about it”
    ———————
    Aaron is worrying about “getting on with his life”

24. tokyosandblaster says:

August 3, 2018 at 11:52 am

Nice, Screaming yellow zonkers.

Pick the quote that suits your argument and ignore all the rest.

Just like you pick and choose what is important for a team’s legacy.

——————–
    Why do packer fans brag about owing the Vikings over the last decade?
    Why are you so HYPED about week 2 against the Vikings?

For a guy who claims that superbowls are what’s important, you seem to be pretty obsessed about beating the lowly Vikings.

25. Like the Rodgers supposed contract situation, this one is media generated, and just gives the cheesers a chance to make the same lame comments about Thielen that Vikings trolls made about Rodgers. The only entertaining thing about this is how the same fans from each team either put the bait in the water or take it hook, line and sinker — including google searches for the best WRs.

26. screamingyellowzonkers says:

Why do packer fans brag about owing the Vikings over the last decade?
    Why are you so HYPED about week 2 against the Vikings?

——-

I don’t think we are. I think that’s how it comes across on here, because of your trolls. I only started trolling because of the trolls I came across 5 or 6 years ago.

If you want my honest opinion, I think that the Packers will have all they can handle with the Vikings this year.

But after being at some practices, I think the Vikings will have all they can handle with the Packers this year, too.

Practice is starting.

Peace.

27. h0metownzero says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:13 pm
    Theilen is actually from MN where people are used to get paid far less that people from more respectable parts of the country.
    ——————————————

If you apply for a job in your chosen profession in any other part of the country and they see you are from Minnesota your interview process will only be a formality. Fact.

28. tokyosandblaster says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:42 am

Its weird. We’re getting into the same conversations.

Do a google search for best receivers.

Tell me how many times you see Diggs or Thielen listed above Davante Adams.

_________

What’s weird is nobody mentioned Adams until you did. But since you bring it up, I did a search of rankings of the best receivers in the NFL (not talking about fantasy football here).

Sporting News ranked their top 10. Diggs was ranked 10th. Thielen was given honorable mention. Adams wasn’t mentioned.

Reggie Wayne at NFL.com ranked his top 10. Diggs was ranked 9th. Both Thielen and Adams were listed under Just Missed.

Athlon Sports ranked Diggs 13th, Thielen 14th, and Adams 23rd.

Thebiglead.com ranked Thielen 9th, Adams 10th, and Diggs 16th.

Pro Football Weekly ranked their top 10. Thielen was 8th. Adams and Diggs were ranked lower but you have to pay to see those rankings.

NFLmocks.com ranked Diggs 8th, Thielen 16th, and Adams 22nd.

NFL Network’s top 100 players had Thielen ranked 36th, Adams 45th, and Diggs 65th.

I also googled NFL All-Pro teams and noticed that Thielen was on the second team but I didn’t see Adams anywhere.

So to answer your question, the number of times I saw Diggs or Thielen listed above Davante Adams was every single time.

29. h0metownzero says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:13 pm

_________

Median household income:
    Minnesota $63,488
    Wisconsin $55,638

Real income taking cost of living into account:
    Minnesota $65,183
    Wisconsin $59,762

Source: Time.com

30. tokyosandblaster says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:42 am

Its weird. We’re getting into the same conversations.

Do a google search for best receivers.

Tell me how many times you see Diggs or Thielen listed above Davante Adams.

_________

Athlon Sports ranked Diggs 13th, Thielen 14th, and Adams 23rd.

Thebiglead.com ranked Thielen 9th, Adams 10th, and Diggs 16th.

NFLmocks.com ranked Diggs 8th, Thielen 16th, and Adams 22nd.

============================================
    Reality is hard, eh Tokyo?

31. tokyosandblaster says:

—————————–
    That’s the “which came first, the chicken or the egg…” argument.

But I agree with you.
    Both the Vikings and the Packers will be battling it out.
    It’s a toss up.

32. purpleguy says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amen.

33. Minneapolis is so expensive, you feel broke when earning $100,000.00.
    It’s in the national Top Ten most expensive cities, and it’s not New York, Miami, LA, or Chicago. It’s an expensive wannabe.

Source: USA Today.

What’s your point Breezy? Sounds wonderful. The people earn more, but need more. Big deal.

34. Stellar, I know you get tired when you read more than three lines, but if you go back you’ll notice that the second set of numbers takes cost of living into account.

By the way, Minneapolis is nowhere near the top 10 most expensive cities and I found nothing from USA Today saying that. There’s no shortage of lists out there that are far more accurate than whatever you’re citing. Why don’t you move?

35. tokyosandblaster says:
    August 3, 2018 at 10:42 am
    Its weird. We’re getting into the same conversations.

Do a google search for best receivers.

Tell me how many times you see Diggs or Thielen listed above Davante Adams.

/////////////////////////

#8 Diggs
    #16 Thielen
    #22 Adams

Task completed. 2018 NFLs best receivers.

36. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    August 3, 2018 at 1:42 pm

purpleguy says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amen.
    —————

Amen to both of your posts.

Know what I see in Thielen? I see a Jordy Nelson. Midwestern work ethic and ethos. Show up, do the job (well) and move on to the next thing without blowing your own horn. From the perspective of a Packers’ fan, I’d take those guys ANY day over a guy like Diggs but I’m old school. Cobb is like that too. Barry Sanders … score and hand the ball to the ref.

Thielen is a great big pain in the keester – I wish the Packers had him.