FOX extends Joe Buck’s contract as lead NFL voice for three more years

Getty Images

Joe Buck will remain the top play-by-play announcer for the NFL on FOX for at least three more years.

Buck and FOX have agreed to a three-year contract extension, he told the New York Post. Although Buck seems to know that news will not sit well with some of his vocal social media critics, he said he’s learned to ignore that noise.

“I think social media, on some level, is having less and less of an effect,” Buck said. “And it has less and less relevance. It is like going to the complaint box at Macy’s and you are looking for compliments. They don’t come. They are not in there. There is no real balance. The only social media I’m worried about is [Fox Sports president] Eric Shanks’ Twitter account and if he starts ripping me then I have a problem.”

Buck will continue working with Troy Aikman, both for FOX’s top Sunday afternoon games and on Thursday nights. Buck also calls the World Series and golf for FOX.

103 responses to “FOX extends Joe Buck’s contract as lead NFL voice for three more years

1. Those 2 are the most annoying broadcasting duo in football. Boring analysis by Aikman and his catchy “make a play” talk and mundane play by play by Buck.

2. I know everyone hates him, but he has a good voice and he’s not annoying to listen to. I remember watching the Patriots in the early 90s and we had Beasley Reece every week. If you hate the national guys, listen to Beasley Reece, his replacement generationally is now doing Browns-Bills games.

3. He and Aikman can make ears bleed. The mute button comes in handy when these guys are calling a game.

4. Awful. There’s something so arrogant and judgmental about his voice. It seems like FOX, CBS, and NBC put the most difficult-to-stomach guys as their “A” team, and I truly wonder why.

CBS’ Ian Eagle is probably the best play-by-play guy doing football these days. His voice is suitably neutral and non-annoying, he gets excited at the appropriate times, doesn’t blow calls, doesn’t make assumptions, and doesn’t cast judgment. Why is he banished to awful Titans/Bills 1pm games that no one is watching?

5. ash much hate as he gets. id rather listen to his voice than beth mowins. god that broad sucks ass at commentating. her voice is worse than sitting on my couch watching paint dry.

good for fox!!!

6. to me, the biggest problem with Buck is that he just can’t allow 3 or 4 seconds of quiet time. How about just some shots of players on the sidelines….with NO TALKING….once in a while. No need to tell me what you think people are thinking. I have a brain.

7. Buck either has incriminating pictures of some higher-up at Fox , or he pays them to keep his job . He is PATHETIC ! Thank GOD for the mute button !!!

8. I remember how “disgusted” Buck claimed to be when Randy Moss fake mooned the Packer fans at Lambeau, yet he comes out with a book titled Lucky Bastard. What a hypocrite.

9. Sheesh. Why do they insist on having guys that have never played the game attempt to talk about it? Just another reason to turn off the TV.

10. 3 more years of Joe Buck means we all get to hear about 600 more compliments on his man crush Aaron Rodgers.

11. meridious says:
    August 3, 2018 at 11:34 am
    I don’t get all the hate for this guy. Can listen to him and Aikman a lot more than most.

————————————————————
    He’s a good broadcaster if he just stuck to broadcasting. It’s his holier than thou, constant pontification on other subjects I can’t stand.

12. Mute button is going to get a workout. With Collinsworth and Kenny Albert, it’s a wonder I don’t replace remotes more often.

13. Does anyone actually like anything about the NFL? Nothing but complaints. Article after article. heck it doesn’t even have to be football. Pick any news feed of your choosing and it’s just a bunch of complainers.

I guess that is what we Americans have become. Complaining. Murcia’s favorite past time.

14. I don’t know if it’s Joe Buck’s local newscaster on lithium voice or Troy Aikman’s CTE brain drooling out nonsense in agreement with Joe Buck that is more annoying. “You’re absolutely right, Joe……”

Ugh.

15. For those who feel that Buck is alright, watch Desaun Jackson return the punt for a TD against the Giants. Probably the 2nd craziest play behind the Vikings win in the playoffs last year I’ve ever seen while it was happening and Joe Buck sounds like it’s a run of the mill 3 yard sweep. Absolutely no emotion and a constant seen-it-all attitude. Compare that to his old man and the difference between a great broadcaster and a bad one is clear.

16. I didn’t have any feelings for him one way or another until the playoff game between the Vikings/Packers when Randy Moss mime-mooned the crowd after a TD. It was such a dumb, completely harmless gesture, but Buck went on a fake-offended, puritanical tirade about it… right before the TV cuts to scantily-clad women in GoDaddy commercials and beer ads. The media ran with it the next day and turned it into a controversy.

Since then, I’ve dreaded each time my Lions get featured in a big game and this jerk does the broadcast. This guy needs to stick to baseball broadcasts.

17. 3 more years of Joe Buck means we all get to hear about 600 more compliments on his man crush Aaron Rodgers.

It’s as bad as John Maddens man crush with Farve…

18. It’s one thing to be laid back but it’s not forgivable to sound like you are not interested. Wish we could give Verne some pills to make him 30 years younger.

19. If you hate Joe Buck now, read his autobiography and you will hate him even more.

20. ronrivers says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:16 pm

….

________________________________________________________________

What? You’ve had years away from Joe Buck if you are a Lions fan. How could you possibly remember that far back?

21. I’ll admit that Joe might not have the most exhilarating reactions at key times but seriously what are we expecting from a guy talking about football for 3 1/2 hours ? And its live too lol All the commentators are bad at times . Al Michaels can put you to sleep some Sunday nights

22. briang123 says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:21 pm
    ronrivers says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:16 pm

….

________________________________________________________________

1 0 Rate This

————–
    The years are starting to blend together, haha… My memory’s not great, but I thought I remembered him calling some form or another of a Lions wildcard playoff game, Thanksgiving game, or late game in the last two years. Could be wrong.

23. If familiarity breeds contempt, the prime time games should give us a baseline for America’s Game of the Week. It’s off the charts.

Life protip: on 5-channel audio signals, game announcers only come over the center.

24. More Buck means skipping more NFC games, unless they are between two top teams. Gives my more time to focus on the most important conference anyway.

25. bobsaget92 says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:31 pm

———————————

I expect a guy getting paid millions who’s the face of Fox’s broadcast to be there for all the key plays. I won’t dispute that he’s not the worst Fox has to offer, but for a man with his stature he should be a lot better. The Al Michaels example is perfect because Al can get old at times, but when something amazing is happening Al is right there with the perfect call.

As to the talent required, my Uncle was a producer for a variety of sporting events for Fox and CBS and I’ve gotten to sit up in the booth for a number of games in all the sports. There’s 0 chance I could do it even for the sports I’m extremely knowledgeable about and the amount of work that the broadcast team does during the week is truly impressive and would surprise most people, but that doesn’t excuse the man who’s supposed to be the top broadcaster in America sounding less emotionally invested in a game than a guy calling out grocery specials at the super market.

26. Uh oh, he says “Redskins” during the broadcasts….you white-guilt lemmings better put some pillows in your safe-spaces, it’s going to be a long year for you!

27. Joe Buck does a good job with football and baseball. 1000 people will complain about him and 999 of those people will have no idea why they are complaining. They just know that they are supposed to complain.

To all you mouth-breathing simpletons, he’s not rooting against your team. It’s alao not his job to root for them. Grow up. Aikman does a good job as well. It’s not his fault that his teams beat your teams. Again, grow up.

28. pauldeba says:
    August 3, 2018 at 11:41 am

———————–

The fact that he is annoying is the main reason everyone hates him. His monotone voice is what gets me.

29. vikings2102 says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:04 pm
    Kevin Harlan should be the #1 guy someone. He is great!
    ——————————————————————————————–

Totally agree with you, and who said a Vikings and Packer fan couldn’t agree on something?

30. Everyone is entitled their opinion I guess. I don’t mind Buck at all, it’s Collingsworth I can’t stand. He feels like he has to have knowledge of every aspect of every play and comes off as a pontificating jerk. His voice is like a squealing teenage boy. I only watch SNF when I have to.

31. That sucks. Can’t stand listening to this guy. Nonstop man crush on the Green Bay QB is almost embarrassing. (no offense whatsoever to Aaron Rodgers because he’s fantastic) But the way he just yells “RODGERS!!” Over and over 183 times a game makes me not watch the 4 o’clock game more often than not. And I hate that cause I love to nap thru it with the volume on after eating and drinking and making myself fatter during the 1:00 Pittsburgh game. It’s almost as if Joe Buck and his irritating voice has single handed ruined my Sunday afternoon enjoyment for at least a decade of my adult life. Apparently there’s no end in sight. FOX sucks for doing this to me and millions of other Americans. Follow the CBS lead and dump Buck like they dumped Simms.

Sincerely,
    Every American Male

32. Troy Barkman still has a job? For a supposed player in the league as long as he was, he must have lost all his football IQ with that hit from Lavar. I swear, Romo was better on his first day than Troy has ever been.

33. Too full of himself, take that away I could tolerate him. The crying about Randy Moss mock mooning the Green Bay fans was way over the top. Still better than Bob Costas…. somebody keep the booze away from him

It’s like a race for these announcers to see who can be more full of themselves

34. Only duo I dislike more are Al Michaels, & Chris Collinsworth. Only reason I don’t like Aikman & Buck….is because of Buck.

35. I’d take Kevin Harland over Joe Suck in a heartbeat. Harland has a great voice and some legitimate style to his play calling, while joe just sucks. So glad I cut the cord and don’t directly help pay for that tool.

36. Why the hate? Never understand all of Buck’s non-fans.

For me, when Buck’s voice is heard, it’s a Big Game….and there’s an aura of intrigue.

37. The Moss thing was started by “Packer Fans” actually mooning the opposition.
    Meanwhile, I’m glad I have my TV hooked up to a stereo and can listen to some music while watching.

38. xmatt0926x says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:56 pm
    ————–
    I agree. I have no problem with him or his voice at all. I think the people hating on/complaining about Joe Buck on every Joe Buck article are the same ones spewing out the unoriginal takes about how bad the pizza is on every Papa John article.

39. I don’t have too much of a feeling either way on Joe Buck. One guy I did like, was Gus Johnson…

STOKLEY, DOWN THE SIDELINE! WOW!!

40. The good news: Buck does mostly Cowboys games

The bad news: They’re mostly at 4:25 with no game on CBS in the opposite slot

Looks like Sunday Ticket will be getting some subscription renewals just to avoid Buck.

41. factschecker says:
    August 3, 2018 at 12:12 pm

——————-

Nice complaint.

42. I’d take Romo all day over Buck. Ugh. If they ever pair Buck and Collinsworth together, I’m watching on mute.

43. while a love me some joe buck, fox should be carefull not proclaim him “lead voice” of the national football league. there is only 1 guy who is the voice of the sheild and thats the comish rodger goodell. bless his soul.

44. He’s tolerable just as long as they stop cutting to the face shots in the booth where he keeps looking at troys jock