Randy Moss believes he could still play

AP

Terrell Owens isn’t the only incoming Hall of Famer who believes he could still add to his NFL resume.

Randy Moss said Friday that he thinks he could play right now, and that he could have an impact.

“I really truly believe I could still average 10 touchdowns a year,” Moss told reporters in Canton on Friday, via the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “The game is that easy.”

Plenty of former players think they could still do the things they once did. But in 2012, his most recent NFL season, Moss didn’t do that, catching only 28 passes for 434 yards and three touchdowns in the regular season. He added seven receptions for 112 yards in three postseason games, including 41 yards on two catches in Super Bowl XLVII.

As to whether he could score 10 touchdowns a full six years later, take the under.

Moss also spent time on Friday complaining about the way in which the media treated him throughout his career.

“I get to put on a gold jacket regardless of the stuff that was written, the things that were said about me throughout my whole career,” Moss said. “And the thing about it is, it brainwashed a whole lot of football fans out in the world. I think it was very unfair to me. I think it was unfair to my family.”

But Moss brought much of it on himself. Though his off-field issues were limited (he bumped a traffic control officer with his car in 2002), his “I play when I want to play” mantra became his football epitaph, in large part because he indeed played at a high level only when he wanted to play at a high level.

From walking off the field prematurely to cap his final regular-season game with the Vikings to shutting it down so completely with the Raiders in 2006 that most league insiders and observers believed he simply couldn’t do it anymore (he would prove otherwise, in a big way, the following year) to getting fired by the Vikings only a few weeks into his return due to his overall attitude and demeanor (the final straw was a locker-room rant about the quality of a meal provided to the players), Moss earned much of the criticism he received.

The fact that his raw talent so easily overcame the flaws, propelling him to Canton on the first try, shows just how good he was, when he chose to be.

“Being able to look back and reflect back, man, I wouldn’t change it,” Moss said Friday. “I just wanted to play football. Now that I look back and reflect back and seeing all these cameras and all these positive stories written about me, it’s still not fair and I’m still not pleased with it.”

Plenty of fans still aren’t pleased with the nagging sense that Moss and the teams he played for could have been even better than they were, if Moss had chosen to give his all all of the time. A full and complete commitment wouldn’t have just gotten him into Canton on the first try. It quite possibly would have gotten him a Super Bowl ring (he mused after his rookie season that he’d finish his career with three or four), and it definitely would have propelled him past Jerry Rice as the greatest receiver of all time.

73 responses to “Randy Moss believes he could still play

1. As many plays as he took off in his career he probably does still
    have a few plays left in him.

“I play when I want to play” Randy Moss

2. Starting with First Grade through a child’s Senior Year of High School, there should be a continuous class on “Humbleness/Humility”. I truly believe this would be a step in the right direction of changing terrible ideology.

3. He will always have the memory of the undefeated season and beating the giants in the super bo……oh nevermind.

4. Him & T.O. both think they can still play, if they could they would be on a team.
    But even Moss’ last year in NFL , at age 35, he caught the same number of td’s that Julio Jones did last year. Still can’t believed Atlanta caved to that dud.

5. As somebody who saw Randy play in state of WV in HS how many positive stories have you written about him? That’s why your wrong, and why media jump on what sells that move their name out there! Bottom line he made it, he was a all time great. I bet if you talked to people who know Randy they would say he did 1000 times more good then any perceived bad!

6. What’s the difference between Moss and a dollar bill? You can always get four quarters out of the buck.

I’m far from a Patriots fanboy, but I truly believe that if Moss was drafted by New England, and they had Bledsoe then Brady for him, he could have topped Jerry Rice’s records. He was an animal, *when he wanted to be*.

7. Moss makes it easy to admire someone like Aaron Rodgers. Character in a player should be as important as playing ability. It is to me. I don’t wish Moss any ill-will, but I am delighted he’ll be remembered as a trophyless *ss.

8. As he said, none of the conjecture and outright falsehoods matter now. He’s the 2nd GOAT. Having been an NFL fan since 1974 I can say without reservation that Randy Moss was the most talented receiver I’ve ever seen.

9. I wish Randy would quit whining about how he is unfairly perceived… The “I play when I want to play” criticism was valid and remains so. Randy earned that albatross.

Maybe he should have played hard every down and given it a 100% even when his teams weren’t very good (exhibit 1, his raiders stint).

10. Randy was a beast with the Vikings. Went to Oakland was terrible but somehow rejuvenated his career while playing for a cheating team. That’s weird how that worked out.

11. As much as an ego this guy was… the fact that he had the career he had without “trying” all the time is incredible. Put Jerry Rice’s work ethic in that body and yeeeeeesh. Talking records that would have never been broken. Kind of a waste….

12. his “I play when I want to play” mantra became his football epitaph, in large part because he indeed played at a high level only when he wanted to play at a high level.
    ————————————

Prime example of fake news. Moss has explained what he meant when he said that. He ran go routes all game long and sometimes the play was called to go another way. A world class athlete sprinting all game long and pulling half of the secondary with him needs to catch his breath once in a while.
    The specter of Randy Moss changed the way defenses had to play. He was the best player in any game for most of his career. Jerry Rice was good. He wasn’t Randy Moss and nobody ever will be.

13. Moss is like most of my coworkers who think they’re doing the world a favor by breathing. I, on the other hand, never take breaks and often skip several breaths in a row.

14. Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 4, 2018 at 9:41 am
    ————————————

—————————————————-
    You obviously never played organized football and have not a clue what you are talking about…..

15. He could still play. I see the packer backers are out first this morning. Jealous that you’re team NEVER had a WR talent even remotely close to Moss? How he shredded you’re Swiss cheese defense game after game, season after season? Hell, he would have been a first ballot HOF just off the numbers he put on GB in his career. 😂

16. I agree with everything Moss said. Moss was toying with the media when he made that famous comment. He was heads and shoulders better than any WR that ever played. When he finally teamed up with a HOF QB, Tom Brady, he was years beyond his prime. He still shattered all time NFL records. Had he been with a Brady or Montana his entire career, his numbers would be so far ahead of everyone else, they’d be untouchable. I don’t blame the media either. They make a living off negative news, especially if it involves a black super star. They print what sells, and we love to consume that stuff. It makes us feel better about ourselves. Life is great. Randy Moss has a gold jacket. I put him in the front row beside Jim Brown and Joe Montana.

17. If you include 2010, the year the Golden Calf returned to the Vikings, Moss had a lifetime record of 7-9 against the Packers. I would have to think there aren’t too many other teams with a better record than that against Moss.

18. With the wussification ofmthe game he absolutely could still play. So couldn’t alworth, rice, tim brown and drew pearson

19. The problem with Moss is that when he’s into it and putting his all in he was anywhere from excellent to truly great, but the moment he perceives that he’s “underpaid”, not getting enough touches or has some other problem he tanks and his effort is terrible.

20. It must hurt to be a diva without a spotlight. I should try a walk on somewhere. Hey, I’m only 63 and my doctor says I’m his healthiest patient.
    Of course he’s a geriatric specialist and I am also his youngest patient.

21. It sounds like the modern day Hall of Fame WRs have similar attitudes. A baller and proved it when playing w a good or great QB! Congrats on a great career that I thoroughly enjoyed watching

22. Being the greatest isn’t about having the most physical talent. There’s probably some guy out there sitting in jail who we’ve never heard of who would have been the greatest of all time. But he chose not to make the right decisions and commitments to be great. You know, like Jerry Rice did do. Randy Moss isn’t the greatest. Jerry Rice is. And it’s not even close. All of this “I would’ve been the best if…” stuff is ridiculous. You ran 2 routes and you took plays off. At least TO played hard. You were a cancer like him AND you were lazy.

23. PLEASE let him be signed by somebody so we can all witness the embarrassment on national TV.

24. stellarperformance says:
    August 4, 2018 at 10:39 am
    ——————————————

The Monday night game at Lambeau in 98 sticks out to me. Brett Favre actually complained about the rainy weather after the game because the Packers always have an excuse. Cunningham and Moss didn’t seam to have any problems. That game alone shook the Packers so bad they drafted 3 DBs in the first 3 rounds in the 99 draft.

25. Maybe Jerry Kramer can show Randy all his rings during the induction ceremony.

Moss was the classic underachieving player.

Toiling for the classic underachieving Vikings.

26. Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 4, 2018 at 1:27 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////

Maybe that’s why the Packers were 9-7 against Viking teams on which Moss was a player. He didn’t help his team very much, but you can’t expect much more from such a self-centered stat-hound, can you?

27. taintedsaints2009 says:
    August 4, 2018 at 11:41 am
    I see another Viking story is dominated by psycho packer fans. I bet you they still have nightmares about Randy Moss.
    ////////////////

Why? His Viking teams went 7-9 against the Packers. He didn’t exactly cause anybody to shake in their boots……unless they were a caterer or a traffic cop.

28. Viking fans shouldn’t blame Randy for not winning a Superbowl. They have a much larger problem with the culture of losing in MN.

_____________________________________________________________________________

As a Vikes fan, I blame our poor coaches and ownership back when Moss played. Denny was probably the only “decent” coach we had since Bud Grant. He hired his “buddies” instead of good, respected coaches.

Fast forward to Zimmer who’s a great coach, holds players accountable, and surrounded himself with respected, veteran coaches who the player’s respect.

I loved Moss, I think he’s the GOAT at WR imo. But no chance he could still play today. Same goes for TO….and others.

29. Moss might hold the record for 23 TDs in 07 but Rice had 22 in 12 games back in 87. Still one of my all time favorite players though and i’m glad to see him go in as a first ballot HOF, especially as a WR.

30. Why don’t you ask Vikings fans how we feel about his last game? Or the catering incident? Most, like me, would tell you that he wasn’t perfect but he was one of our favorite players of all-time. When he was on, he was the greatest of all-time. Like Lawrence Taylor you have to take the good with the bad. Without the antics we never would have seen the highlight reel TD’s in triple coverage. Football fans should be thanking him instead of criticizing him today.

31. logicalvoicesaye says:

August 4, 2018 at 8:14 am

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, Jesus taught that we should all be humble, but they wont let Jesus be talked about in
    schools, so, that leaves teaching about being humble, to parents. I know I have had more than one conversation, with my Son, on the subject. God Bless

32. stellarperformance says:
    August 4, 2018 at 1:38 pm
    taintedsaints2009 says:
    August 4, 2018 at 11:41 am
    ////////////////

———-
    Your team drafted three DB’s in it’s first three picks, and four DB’s overall, after Moss’ rookie season. Tell me again how Moss didn’t make your team shake in their boots. No, the Vikings didn’t have a winning record against the Packers. But that wasn’t the conversation. The conversation was, and is, how Moss affected your team. And ohhhhhh myyyyyy did he make you guys scared.

33. itsalwaysabout says:
    August 4, 2018 at 11:08 am
    It must hurt to be a diva without a spotlight.
    ///////
    1st ballot HOF. And is on tv every sunday during the football season.

34. “Plenty of former players think they could still do the things they once did.”
    /////////
    Well, first, he didn’t actually say he’d be the same as he was during his career. But, ya, I absolutely believe he could be a starter in the NFL right now. He’s probably still faster than 50% of WR’s, and nobody could track the ball in the air better than Moss did. And Cris Carter has gone on record saying Moss’ football knowledge was excellent.

35. conormacleod says:
    August 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm
    /////////////////////////////////

The conversation was not about how he affected the Packers, it was about his character flaws, of which he had many. It was already determined he did not help the Vikings against the Packers. He was a self-centered quitter. Please list how many teams against which he had a record worse than 7-9. It’ must feel weird when someone’s hero turns out to be a nose-holding jerk. What’s that feel like?

36. H.O.F. no ring, but man what a ride. it was an honor to watch this guy

’cause he’s a freak of nature, just keep your eyes glued to the TV, you’ll see…

37. WOW these Packer fans sure have a lot of latent hatred toward the Vikings! I guess losing to Minnesota 4 of the last 5 games is stuck in you craw! Now that the NFL has chosen not to put Minnesota in a home game there the last game or so of the year to help you guys, it will be 6 of 7 and another NFC North title for DA Vikes.. Face it, Minnesota has ruined your seasons more than any other team, year after year!But Moss playing??? No way Father time gets to all of us, but Randy has always been a “The older I get the Better I was”, player. But tell me why virtually every one are so used to lying and passing the blame, they even lie and convince themselves!!! “I didn’t do it, It isn’t my fault”!

38. Stellar, I did not look this up but I’m guessing that the record would be 7-7. If I recall correctly Moss was not active for the game at lambeau in 04 and was already gone for the second matchup in 2010. If someone has more time than me to look up the box scores I may be incorrect. But let’s not count games where a guy was inactive or not in the team, because we all know the Vikings win over Hundley last year doesn’t count against Rodgers or in some circles neither does the first one where he got hurt

39. I could still score 10 touchdowwns!
    They can’t cover mee! Just throw it over their head!

40. Moss has a 32-21 career record against the old NFC Central and current NFC North teams. He was 12-2 against the Detroit Lions, 9-6 against the Chicago Bears, but he had a losing record against the Green Bay Packers, going 7-8.

This (above) doesn’t include one game in which he was suited up and active upon his return to Minnesota late in his career. It was a loss. His record against the Packers is 7-9, and not exactly confetti-worthy. Great personal stats, but that’s not really what counts is it?

No team did better against a Moss-led team than the Packers. So sorry to burst your bubbles.

41. Although the Vikes have never won a Super Bowl (we DID win the NFL Championship in 1969, we just didn’t beat the AFL Champs).

We have been lucky enough to have both the greatest NFL WR of all time in Moss, at his prime…and the greatest RB of all time (again in his prime) in Adrian Peterson. That’s pretty good, but we haven’t won the Super Bowl. Maybe this year…

42. Terrible in Oakland they say. In Moss’s second year there Randy had over a 1000 yards receiving on that dumpster fire team.