Report: Giants have talked about making Beckham top-paid receiver

AP

A report from Josina Anderson of ESPN on Monday indicated that the Giants have offered wide receiver Odell Beckham a long-term contract with an annual average salary that comes in under the $16 million per year that the Chiefs will pay Sammy Watkins.

That seems like a non-starter, especially with the price tag for a non-exclusive franchise tag for wide receivers in the 2019 season set to come in at a bigger number. Another report that casts the talks in a different light surfaced later on Monday, however.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Giants and Beckham’s agent Zeke Sandhu have talked about a deal that would make Beckham the highest-paid receiver in the league. Rapoport adds that the sides are encouraged a deal could come by the start of the regular season.

In tweets following her initial report, Anderson wrote that the annual average salary figure for the prospective deal she reported on would include this season’s $8.459 million salary. A deal could make Beckham the highest-paid receiver based on the new money that the Giants would pony up, although Anderson also added that her “understanding is new money isn’t ballpark [for highest-paid wideout] either.”

Where things actually sit between the Giants and Beckham is known by those two sides and there will likely be more reports about how talks are shaping up until something is finalized.

42 responses to “Report: Giants have talked about making Beckham top-paid receiver

1. I have no doubt he will be the highest paid receiver in the league, and I also have no doubt ever other diva receiver will want to renegotiate their contact after he is.

2. Can’t wait for the regular season to start. I am tired of hearing about Divas (T.O., Beckham) and the reporters covering them ad nauseum.

3. This is a tough spot, as much fun as he was to watch the first couple seasons, this seems like a lose/lose deal moving forward. Do giants fans actually think he will continue to work hard, not be a clown, and get better once he gets paid? That is a legitimate question as I don’t know but I suspect he has some clown in him and it’s going to come out either way if he gets paid, and especially if he doesn’t. No question he is a unique talent, just seems like he is destined to waste it.

4. This is when you’re reminded you’re dealing with elite 1%-er wealthy types. When money is no longer based on actual need, is completely detached from the realities of any concerns regular people have, and is based on symbol, status, and ego.

And it all flows from regular people giving their money to the NFL. What if we were all to stop voting for it with our money?

5. A WR is not worth the money, Several teams have proven it year after year. A good athlete with good hands who runs routes and hands the ball to the ref while keeping his mouth shut wins more games than these diva WR’s.

6. Tom Brady has shown year after year that you can make any chump into a good WR. You just can’t pay a WR QB money. But apparently with the money Cooks and Watkins got, OBJ is worth 20 mil, right?

7. Why would anyone listen to a sports report from ESPN? ESPN is just a bunch of left wing pundits who happen to mention sports sometimes. Real Giants fans know the Giants will do what’s right. Either offer him his due or let him walk. No way they were low-balling OBJ. Josina Anderson is a joke.

8. Sucks but let him go into FA next year. No other team will offer top WR money or even close. Statistically, he’s a top 10 receiver but his attitude is too much baggage. Just like Dez, they’ll realize they are actually quite replaceable.

9. 1) Antonio Brown
    2) Julio Jones
    3) DeAndre Hopkins
    4) Micheal Thomas
    5) A.J Green
    6) DeMaryius Thomas
    7) Mike Evans/ Jarvis Landry
    You can make a case that any number of WRs are as good as OBJ for far less money and no drama. Guys like Keenan Allen, DaVobte Adams, Adam Theilen, Julian Edelnan ect. Josh Norman showed you can rattle him and sorry Giant fans but he disappears in games, takes plays off and hurts his team with no blocking and penalties. Trade em’ to Buffalo while he has worth.

10. I don’t care for all the off field concerns and clouds that arose over the past year… but everyone saw how “Good” the offense was without him, while they have a RB that could be dynamic, OBJ is also key to helping make or create big play potential, with teams possibly needing to fill stuff the box, or create big plays with, playaction.

11. “Income inequality” – where is this crowd when OBJ et al are demanding salaries of tens of millions per year?
    Apparently it’s “evil” if Roger Goodell is paid tens of millions but it is not evil if a union-protected player has a salary in the tens of millions.
    Hypocrites!

12. upnorthvikesfan says:
    August 6, 2018 at 2:45 pm
    Wish I could be a royal pain in the behind for my employer and still become the highest paid person there.

Won’t fault you for being a Vikings fan, but hey….you can be. Just ask. I don’t think he is worth it – will also say he is no was a PITA for his employer. He doesn’t deserve this contract. But as for you….just ask. You might be surprised.

13. These are probably how the “talks” went.

“Hey that buffoon with the terrible haircut and attitude wants to be the top paid receiver. What a joke, let’s send him to Cleveland”

14. upnorthvikesfan says:
    August 6, 2018 at 2:45 pm

8 2 Rate This
    ———————————————————————
    If you was one of the 10 best in the world at what you do & the most marketable at the company you could.

15. That goal to be highest paid is just fools gold. If you can only be happy if you are highest paid then you are doomed to never being happy for long. Because anything you sign will become the new baseline to be targetd by the next guy that wants to be highest paid. Also, just because a coupke teams shelled out what might be foolishly high money for a guy should not make it a requirement that other teams do so. Beckhame should be near the top of the WR pay scale without factoring in a couple dumb mistakes by desperate and bad negotiating teams.

16. 1phillyphan says:

August 6, 2018 at 3:51 pm
    upnorthvikesfan says:
    August 6, 2018 at 2:45 pm

8 2 Rate This
    ———————————————————————

———————
    I can honestly say I am a recognized industry leader and my organization is thrilled to have me and had to outbid to get me. So yeah, thats very personally satisfying. But still, if I ever become more nuisance plus expense than what I can deliver to our end product I will be gone. It has nothing to do with how good I am or that they will not find someone as good to replace me and be taking a hit at my one area of the larger organization. I have to be delivering net (effort/cost of having me subtracted from benefit of having me) results that translate into the the success of the end game. Bottom line, no matter how good you are, you are still never irreplaceable.

18. Can you imagine if Beckham had the luxury of playing with a Hall of Famer like Big Ben…? There’s a reason Pittsburgh produces WRs left and right… Its frustrating the hype that surrounds Antonio Brown despite the fact he disappears without Big Ben… If Brown played for NY, his career might look different… Compare Beckham’s first 3 years to Browns… and there wouldn’t be a debate over who was better…

19. my_old_name_was_offensive says:
    August 6, 2018 at 5:20 pm

There is no debate who is better. Simply none.
    Beckham is not the receiver that AB is. His numbers don’t stack up in any form or fashion. AB is on a Jerry Rice level of production.
    Almost any HOF WR had at least a large portion of their time with a great QB. AB is no exception. Ben is a big reason the Steelers have been so successful with developing WRs, but Richard Mann, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin have alot to do with it as well.

20. Be careful playing big money for a wide receiver when your franchise QB is on his last legs. It doesn’t work out well…trust me.

Signed,
    A Broncos fan

21. carpalboss says:
    August 6, 2018 at 2:23 pm
    Talk is cheap….OBJ is NOT!

—————-
    But if OBJ is talk then maybe talk is not cheap?

22. shaggytoodle says:
    August 6, 2018 at 2:56 pm

—————————-
    In theory I suppose. But hasn’t actually happened yet.

23. I’m not a fan of backing up the brinks truck to OBJ’s house and paying him as a top 3 receiver. I’m not a OBJ hater but this contract has to be smart money.

The only way to keep this personality motivated and focused is paying him one year at a time.

Long term money is for a good locker room guy AND elite talent that stays on the field. Yes, he is an elite receiver but he’s no team-first locker room guy that’s going to pull your team together.

Tag him once and trade him or let em walk, if he doesn’t take a reasonable and team friendly deal. Otherwise, his Days in a Giants uniform won’t end well for either side!

24. You B. Crazy says:
    August 6, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Signed,
    A Broncos fan

4 1 Rate Thi

———-

elway is a moron, that’s why