Antonio Callaway claims marijuana in car wasn’t his

AP

Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway‘s defense for getting caught with marijuana in his car will apparently be that it wasn’t his.

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that Callaway says he recently had his car shipped to Cleveland from Florida and hadn’t used it in awhile, but that others had used his car. Callaway’s side of the story is that he allowed police to search his car not realizing there was marijuana in it.

Browns coach Hue Jackson sounded upset that he was just hearing of Callaway’s issue today.

“We’ll have a very strong conversation,” Jackson said. “Obviously I’m disappointed.”

The Browns spent a fourth-round draft pick on Callaway despite his long history of off-field trouble at Florida. Now Callaway has failed to make it through his first training camp without more off-field trouble. Whatever his excuse is, he may be running out of chances.

68 responses to “Antonio Callaway claims marijuana in car wasn’t his

1. Morons traded Corey and now 2 of their top 3 receivers are notorious for being in trouble or not being on the field. How’s that for supporting a rookie QB?

2. These guys give stupid a bad name. Weed is fine, but these guys are so stupid they just can’t get out of their own way. The CBA makes it really hard for someone with a brain cell to get caught, yet these clowns turn up every week.

3. What is it with the WRs on this team? Coleman, Callaway, Gordon, Dwayne Bowe, Kenny Britt, Greg Little…the list goes on and on. Why do they keep inviting idiots??

4. HBO planted it in his car to juice up Hard Knocks 1st episode ratings tonight covering the wacky misadventures of a 1-31 NFL team the last 2 years.

5. Unfortunately the law doesnt recognize that excuse. You are in the NFL. Letting friends/family use your car, house, etc isnt a smart move. Just talk to Shady and Malcolm Jenkins about it.

6. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching Live PD, it’s that they always claim it’s not their drugs that they got caught with, but that excuse has never actually worked.

7. haha, “Calloway will also claim that he thought he had resolved the issue with his suspended license”.

It’s like they don’t have an actual brain inside of the skull.

8. Easily one of my Top 3 favorite excuses.

It falls right behind:

1) The dog ate my homework.

AND

B) It was like that when I got here.

Bunch of characters, these NFL guys.

9. It’s been legal here for 6 yrs. Society has not crumbled into a cross between the Road Warrior and Up In Smoke.

Now I do a double-take whenever I read stories like this one. Really? MJ is still a problem somewhere? Why? It’s not a PED so why does the NFL even care? The doctors seem to think weed could do some good for players pain and maybe even help CTE.

Or would this be another case where player behavior is hurting Jerry Jones feelings, so the NFL is going to do something about it?

10. Doesn’t Calloway remember he got banged for a positive drug test at the NFL combine 3 months ago?

11. C’mon man…man up. Your history/track record makes your claim suspect at best. This is the problem, a lack of willingness to take responsibility when you know what you’re doing is wrong to begin with. 2/3rds!

12. I was gonna play football for the Browns, but then I got high

I was gonna catch lots of touchdowns, but then I got high.

Blew a promising NFL career and I know why! Cuz I got High, cuz I got High, cuz I got High

Lalalalala

13. Five-Oh came in and they caught me redhanded driving with a bag of dope.
    Picture this I was driving bake-ed smelling of some ganja smoke

How could I forget the dealer’d given me an extra key
    Why would they believe me when I told them it wasnt me?

Marijuana on the dashboard
    IT WASNT HIS
    Joint of reefer in the glovebox
    IT WASNT HIS
    Even had a bag of chronic
    IT WASNT HIS
    Cops found a pipe of indo
    IT WASNT HIS

14. cletuspstillwaterjr says:
    August 7, 2018 at 6:28 pm
    Was Josh Gordon in his car? It is a solid defense.

OK sorry that was funny…

15. rcahawk says:
    August 7, 2018 at 6:50 pm

————————-
    Is about decision making. It has nothing to do with legality in other states. He’s got a checkered past and promised to keep everything in line. Our at 3am during camp? Suspended license? Weed in his car?
    Cmon man, this is indefensible. He’s proving that all the teams that passed on him were correct.

16. Hard to believe the “it wasn’t mine” story from this dude based on his track record of bad decisions. Also hard to believe how incredibly inept the Browns are at judging character before the draft and during free agency. How horrible it must be to be a Browns fan.

17. Okay, so it’s pretty straightforward how to resolve this, and it’s not taking the know-it-all approach. All they need to do is have him take a hair test. That will find if he’s taken any in the last 3 months. Then we will know if he’s being truthful here.

If he were smart, he would pay for the hair test himself to prove that it wasn’t his. If he tries to avoid testing then we can feel pretty confident that it was.

18. New movie out of Cleveland…”The Wizard was Oz” starring Corey “no hands” Coleman, Hue “no courage” Jackson & Antonio “no brain” Calloway.

19. yetipro says:
    August 7, 2018 at 7:21 pm

If he were smart, he would pay for the hair test himself

If he were smart???? The jokes write themselves.

20. orcahawk says:
    August 7, 2018 at 6:50 pm

===============================================================================

Did I miss where the article said how much was found in the car? Or,does legalization mean have all you want in the car?

21. He’d have gotten further and had a bunch of people come to his defense if he said the cops planted it on him.

22. The guy won’t make it in the NFL. I’ll assume the weed isn’t his which still makes him a NFL prospect who knows he’s on thin ice that decided to drive with a suspended license. The fact he didn’t drive like an old lady going to church because of his license tells me he won’t get it. People can change. It happens all the time. But this can’t will never change in time to have a NFL career.

23. garyandersonsonly1998fgmiss says:
    August 7, 2018 at 7:49 pm
    orcahawk says:
    August 7, 2018 at 6:50 pm
    ===============================================================================
    ===============================================================================

It’s the former, the original report stated that it was a very small amount which is why he wasn’t arrested and just cited for it.

Either way if the kid has passed all his drug tests since the draft which we know he’s had a lot of due to his being in stage 1 his excuse checks out. The not informing the team is what is going to land him in the dog house (no pun intended).

24. It’s just a little grass, cmon. It’s not like he was getting PEDs from Alex G.

25. goddfatherd says:
    August 7, 2018 at 7:58 pm
    I understand, I have some weed in my car that belongs to someone else right now
    ————————————-
    LOL….great comment… I had a great laugh, THANK YOU!!!

26. sllabskcustfpk says:
    August 7, 2018 at 8:44 pm
    When will the NFL (and certain parts of America) get over this irrational fear of marijuana?

You’re asking a lot from a group that thinks temperature doesn’t affect air pressure. After many years reading posts they have ceased to amaze.

27. Reminds me of an episode of “Cops” I once saw. A young criminal was chased and tackled and cuffed. As the officer is searching his pockets he proclaims “These aren’t even my pants.”

28. vicnocal says:
    August 7, 2018 at 7:06 pm
    Five-Oh came in and they caught me redhanded driving with a bag of dope.
    Picture this I was driving bake-ed smelling of some ganja smoke

How could I forget the dealer’d given me an extra key
    Why would they believe me when I told them it wasnt me?

Marijuana on the dashboard
    IT WASNT HIS
    Joint of reefer in the glovebox
    IT WASNT HIS
    Even had a bag of chronic
    IT WASNT HIS
    Cops found a pipe of indo
    IT WASNT HIS

Damn man, that got a good belly laugh. 10/10

29. I swear the Browns can’t get out of their own way. Why would they draft ANYONE with a sorted history? #factoryofsadness #0and16

30. buckeye3892 says:

August 8, 2018 at 7:38 am

First rule when getting pulled over for a traffic violation is don’t submit to a search.
    ————————————–
    They’ll just get a search warrant most of the time.

I got pulled over for my middle brake light out at 10pm at night in an OKC suburb. Cop asked if he could search. I had nothing to worry about so I let him. I had to work the next day, didn’t have time to wait for a search warrant.

-Caucasian

31. “Callaway will also claim he thought he had resolved the issue with his suspended drivers license.”

Wait so throwing out the suspended license didn’t resolve the issue?