Richie Incognito says Vikings called him, Vikings say they did not

Getty Images

Free agent guard Richie Incognito claimed in a recent interview that the Vikings reached out to show interest in him. The Vikings say otherwise.

“I’m mulling all options right now,” Incognito told TMZ. “I’ve had calls from Minnesota, Seattle, I really just don’t want to go to training camp, so we’ll see.”

Incognito has had an eventful offseason. He initially agreed to restructure his contract with the Bills, then said he was retiring, then said he wasn’t retiring, then got released by the Bills, then spent three days in a mental health facility after a bizarre incident at a Florida gym.

In the interview with TMZ, Incognito seemed lucid and upbeat. But it seems unlikely that any team will sign him after all of the issues this offseason, and previous issues in his career. The Vikings aren’t interested, and 31 other teams probably aren’t either.

74 responses to “Richie Incognito says Vikings called him, Vikings say they did not

1. I demand a second chance for Incognito!
    If other players can use illegal drugs, rape or beat women, beat children, or kill dogs and STILL get multiple chances in the NFL then Incognito is also worthy of another chance.
    I’ll use the same argument that people used for AD, Rice, Hardy, and Vick that they deserve another chance due to their race and if they didn’t get another chance then the NFL is racist. The media outright demanded more chances for these players and played the race card on their behalf.

2. All this hate on him, he is a pro bowl LG.. all of you get off your high horses and admit all you care about is wins and losses. So if he helps your team win then that is all you really care about. And as far as him being a bully?? To who? Snowflake Martin?? The same guy that is a nutcase? Give it a rest. Some injury will happen this season and he will be playing pro bowl caliber LG somewhere period!!!

3. Maybe there were actual calls from those teams’ offices but they were just returning calls to him or his agent to say thanks but we’re really not interested.

4. hes a psycho, but hes a psycho genius on the field. I remember one time on a zone run play with the bills he completely missed his first step and i was thinking “dang rickie is washed up doesnt even have a step”. and right as i said that rickie starts doing a full 360 degree rotation followed by another. he mustve tripped, shoved, and spaced out 4 defenders on the play looking like the tasmanian devil whirlwind. I would not mind seeing him in the league one more year

5. Will Hernandez is already projected to start in New York. That’s who the Vikings needed more than mike Hughes. Still don’t understand that pick, especially since Berger retired and elflein and Easton were injured before the season started. Then they took a tackle in the second. I am starting to think they are panicking at offensive line already, and the preseason has not even started

6. Got no issues with a guy with mental health issues. #nostigma. But I am pretty sure he is lying. He sort of has a history of it for whatever reason.

7. dryzzt23 says:

August 7, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I demand a second chance for Incognito!
    ———————
    Well, I don’t agree with your general take.
    But, Richie should have a collusion case.
    He should call Kap’s lawyer and file claims.
    I mean Richie is a bit off his rocker just like Mark Geragas. (sp)

8. As a Vikings fan I’d love to have him. Our O-line looks like a wreck this year, and with a 84 million investment do you really want to feed him to the wolves when there are people like this available? I’d get him if possible. You can never have too much deph at Offensive Line and the Vikings have ignored this spot one too many times. The O-line was average at best last year, and over performed expectations. What good is a great defense, good WR’s, RB, and a good QB when you can’t move the changes?

9. cantescapekarma says:
    August 7, 2018 at 1:02 pm
    Hey Richie, keep repping those Trump supporters and giving them a good name!! Hahaha lmao.

What does this have to do with Trump??? Enough of this nonsense, anytime something does not go your way or have your own agenda its always blame it on Trump?? And folks like you wonder how he got elected and will be elected again? Look in the mirror !!!

10. Why is it so far fetched that the Vikings contacted him about a job?
    We all know that character issues obviously aren’t a big concern in Minnesota.
    My biggest question is why Zimmer felt compelled to lie about it.
    Unless of course there’s a serious disconnect between him and Spieldope.

11. Well if Rick called him or another coach without tellin’ ol’ Zimm…..Well there is deniability. The Vikings are in Desperate need of O-linemen because of the total ignoring of that section in the Draft By Rick and Zimmer, except in rounds 5-7, This has been the Achilles heel of Minnesota for the past 9 years! Zimmer wants to have the top D but by doing so has left the rest of the team vulnerable. Now they don’t have the cap space. Their offensive problems were figured out by NO in the 2nd half of the playoff game and the Eagles picked it up and Slaughtered the Vikings. Every team they play will be looking at those tapes and Minnesota just might not win 5 games this year.. Unless they a Baseball score game where the D scores enough to win.. If Minnesota doesn’t pick at least 4 high round O linemen 91st-3rd rounds) the next 2 drafts, GM anD HC should be fired. Give the HC job to De Filippo..OR He will be the next in the long line of ex Vikings coaches to win a Super Bowl without them. (Pete Carrol, Tony Dungy, Brian Billick), Have I forgotten any? They hang on to their HCs too long and let the young talent move on. I’d say gave Incognito checked out, keep him in a padded cell in the locker room with no contact with other players lol, and let him help us win..

12. It’s pretty clear for anyone who’s been around someone who is bipolar that Richie is manic right now, even if he seems “lucid and clear”. His thoughts aren’t going to make sense, and it’s a shame that his mental health is being used to generate click bait titles for an uneducated public.

13. dryzzt23 says:
    August 7, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I demand a second chance for Incognito!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cut it out, Richie; you’re not doing yourself any favors with this.

14. Richie is a great player Teams want great players, but they also want players who buy into their systems, report for camp and aren’t a distraction. Oline requires a lot of coordinated effort in the blocking schemes. A lot of Timing, adjustments to calls and team work go into having a successful Oline. You need to be in OTAs and training camp, particularly if you are going into a new system.

15. “I demand a second chance for Incognito!
    So if Incognito doesn’t get another chance, the NFL, and the media (which is ALWAYS silent when the player is white), are racists.”

Assuming you have standing to “demand” anything, Richie has had about 5 or 6 “second chances” in his life. I suspect he’s used up all he’s going to get.

16. Richie?

Hey guy, its Jerry. Always looking to add another character guy to our roster. You seem like a perfect fit for “the culture” here in Dallas. Let me run it by Garretts guys and if Sean, Dak and the Ewok are down Carrot Top and Id love to sign you!!!

17. Richie means he got a call from some actual Vikings from the year 1066.
    ********************************************************************
    This post really cracked me up

18. “I really just don’t want to go to training camp” <- That right there screams lazy. I wouldn't want that in my locker room or on my team.

19. But Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer said there is “no interest” in Incognito and it’s “totally false” that the Vikings reached out about him.

“And I wasn’t behind the stuffed animal thing, either” Zimmer added.

20. Incognito did get a 2nd chance. Remember when he got in trouble when Big Baby Martin tattled on him? Seems he’s getting a 3rd chance but he’s not sure what imaginary offer he will take. Give him time.

21. The Vikings need help on the O-line, it’s true, but they don’t need Incognito. The Vikes locker room is a good one, and Incognito is a head case. Zimmer and the Vikings don’t need that kind of foolishness. The Vikes are on track to win a Super Bowl this year, and Incognito isn’t the kind of guy that would help them get there. The chemistry wouldn’t work.

22. If he had anything left in the tank the Bills wouldn’t have cut him. Like an earlier poster said, try the WWE, Richie. You’d be a natural there.

23. Minnysoda would never make an offer to a low-life white trailer trash like Incognito. They’re PC, diverse and tolerant. They’re player interests wain more towards blacks that whip their kids in the gonads and call it cultured.

24. His career is over after how he went out in Buffalo. They gave him a chance to resurrect his career and he spat in their face.

25. He said that he got calls from Minnesota & Seattle. Perhaps he meant he has friends that called him to say hello. We all know Richie would never lie intentionally. Dude reminds me of the type of person you go to the gym and hear him grunting loudly, with roid range making fun of everyone. The good news is these guys grow old one day and eventually get the crap beat of them because they continue to be total aholes the rest of their life. I’ve seen it.

26. 7 years ago the Vikings might have but they have finally got their stuff together and have grown the franchise into a playoff contender without him. So why would they call him?

27. Zimmer also imphatically denied Barr is on the trading block. Barr to Dallas for one of their numerous 1st round OL would make sense to me and Barr would fit well in Dallas in their 3-4. All I know is at training camp yesterday and today there were more OL not in pads than in them and I’ve never heard of the ones having to protect their $86m iQB

28. “I really just don’t want to go to training camp” <- That right there screams lazy. I wouldn't want that in my locker room or on my team.
    ____________

I agree.

And I understand circumstances and context are entirely different…but I bet you'd want Le'Veon Bell, Khalil Mack, or Aaron Donald on the Vikes…

29. It’s pretty clear Incognito has a serious mental health problem. I don’t doubt he’d be a pretty guard for some team if he could keep it together for a season. I doubt that any team takes that risk. Nobody wants to have a full blown psychotic episode occur with someone on their roster.

30. moltensteelgumbo7 says:
    August 7, 2018 at 3:55 pm
    ____________
    I agree.

—–

You don't understand the basic Vikings fan.

They are the perfect team. No other team has anyone that is better at any position than the Vikes players. If the team does add a free agent and cut someone else, the new acquisition becomes exponentially better than they were before–seemingly overnight.

The only reasons they've ever lost any game in their history are as follows:

1. Their 3rd string punt returner has a hangnail (any injury to any player is insurmountable, and only the Vikings have to endure injuries)
    2. The refs are clearly favoring the other team
    3. The other team cheats

31. He was pretty good for Bills last year. I think he had a breakdown with the odd firing his agent and then asking to be released right after signing contract. But I would still take him back as Bills could really use him.

Plus, after all his debacles in Miami he was actually a pretty good locker room guy in Buffalo.

32. It was probably Jonathan Martin pranking him saying it was the Vikings. I am surprised Richie didn’t figure out when a similar voice called 5 minutes later asking him if his refrigerator was running.

33. Skinny Pete out in Seattle might have a place for Richie, he wouldn’t be the first unusual personality to pass through that locker room.

34. He would already be signed if he were black. Truth is we live in a society where whites, especially males, are blatantly and consistently oppressed. Treated like second class people who aren’t deserving of respect, let alone opportunity. This great country was built on their backs and yet they now are left out in the cold, hungry and hopeless.

35. Who cares if they called or didn’t call. Richie’s nuts and Minnesota has O line issues. They could use each other. Zimmerman should say, “Yeah. I called. So what. I call my mom once a week too. You gonna report that too?”

36. dryzzt23 says:
    August 7, 2018 at 12:58 pm
    I demand a second chance for Incognito!
    =================================================

A) He’s already had his second chance after his suspension, so your “demand” is hilarious, and B) why are we not surprised that PFT’s biggest Trump supporter and conservative bashes black players and wants a bully like Incognito back the league.

37. Karras71 says:
    August 7, 2018 at 1:21 pm
    Why is it so far fetched that the Vikings contacted him about a job?
    We all know that character issues obviously aren’t a big concern in Minnesota.
    My biggest question is why Zimmer felt compelled to lie about it.
    Unless of course there’s a serious disconnect between him and Spieldope.

————————

Hahaha, a person that’s obviously enamored with one of the biggest dirtbags in the history of the NFL (Alex Karras) wants to call out others not being concerned with players’ character issues.

Since you were obviously there when he call was made, you should come out to the press and straighten this out. You were there, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to know Zimmer is lying about this, would you?

38. v2787 says:
    August 7, 2018 at 2:55 pm

“The Vikes are on track to win a Super Bowl this year…”
    ============================================================================================

Their record is 0-0, just like 31 other teams. Shouldn’t they at least play one full game before they are considered “on track”?

39. The Vikings are desperate for oline help and depth, I bet Rick called him he just didnt let Zimmer know.