Zimmer on Diggs, Rhodes missing practice: They did not make me happy

AP

Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes missed practice Wednesday. It was not injury related.

“They did not make me happy,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said, via Andrew Krammer of the Star Tribune.

Zimmer did not elaborate, but Rhodes and Diggs were jawing with each other at the walk-through Wednesday morning.

According to Krammer, Rhodes and Diggs engaged in “heated chatter” during Tuesday’s practice. Rhodes intercepted a throw intended for Adam Thielen, and Diggs caught a couple of passes over the middle against Rhodes with the two players “chirping at one another.”

After Rhodes caught a long touchdown pass, he threw the ball into the stands. Rhodes refused to leave the field, staying at corner with the third-team defense.

42 responses to “Zimmer on Diggs, Rhodes missing practice: They did not make me happy

1. So is this a case of “making excuses for the season already, or being a diva?”

Or is it someone trying let players know what is or isnt acceptable in practice and being a leader?

2. Two of the best players in the NFL at their positions going against each other every day in practice, you’re going to get some competitiveness coming out. Sounds like Zimmer thought it was getting a little out of hand so sat them out to send a message, while privately not minding giving each of them a rest day.

3. shaggytoodle says:
    August 8, 2018 at 6:35 pm

So is this a case of “making excuses for the season already, or being a diva?”

__________

The latter for both Zimmer and Rodgers, but at least Zimmer didn’t use foul language. This time.

And his family loves him.

4. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician
    Aug 8, 2018, 6:37 PM EDT

5. Zim is the man who has to school the Type A personalities. Not necessarily divas; just really good players going up against each other. Don’t mean jack.

6. Two of the best players in the NFL at their positions going against each other every day in practice, you’re going to get some competitiveness coming out. Sounds like Zimmer thought it was getting a little out of hand so sat them out to send a message, while privately not minding giving each of them a rest day. I had to lmao there not even close to being best players .

7. cardinealsfan20 says:
    August 8, 2018 at 7:04 pm
    “After Rhodes caught a long touchdown pass”

Did the Vikes move Rhodes to WR?
    _________________

No… just Cousins finding the groove.

8. If you don’t think Rhodes is one of the best cornerbacks in the league, let me point you to the 2017 All-Pro team. Rhodes made both the first team and the second team. Not sure how that happened, but he’s certainly one of the best.

Diggs isn’t in that stratosphere, but plenty of people think he’s a top-10 receiver. Sporting News, Reggie Wayne at NFL.com, and nflmocks.com all had him ranked in the top 10. I’d say he’s in the 11-15 range but has an upward trajectory.

9. This competitiveness left over 150 fans at Training camp today with last minute cancellation for Autographs with Diggs. The line began at 4:30am and signing was scheduled at 11:30am. It was a rough day. I was one of the dedicated fans.

10. Michelle Lee says:
    August 8, 2018 at 8:01 pm
    This competitiveness left over 150 fans at Training camp today with last minute cancellation for Autographs with Diggs. The line began at 4:30am.
    _______________

You think after signing that contract last week he would be in midseason form for something like that.

11. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician
    Aug 8, 2018, 7:47 PM EDT

I’m with you on Rhodes, that kid can flat out play. Like I said before I really like Diggs and the way he plays and if he can continue to improve each game and each year he will be in the top 10 soon. I really like the combination of him and Thelien. They compliment each other very well. I’m curious what you think of Cousins. I think he’s good but now he needs to show he can consistently do it game in and game out. The talent around him is there so I’ll be curious to see what he does with it.

12. arealisticpackerfan says:
    August 8, 2018 at 6:48 pm

After Rhodes caught a long touchdown pass, he threw the ball into the stands

—-

Duel threat.
    ==
    shaggytoodle says:
    August 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm

cardinealsfan20 says:
    August 8, 2018 at 7:04 pm
    “After Rhodes caught a long touchdown pass”

Did the Vikes move Rhodes to WR?
    _________________

No… just Cousins finding the groove.

————————-
    Actually, Diggs caught the touchdown and threw the ball into the stands. TCO Performance Center posted the play on Instagram.

13. I’m a big Diggs fan but let’s be honest, he’s not even in the top 10 when it comes to wideouts. Don’t let the contract fool you into thinking this guy is one of the leagues best receivers. Like I said I really like the guy but he’s not in that top tier yet

_________________

I agree. But yet is the key word. If this kid wasn’t hurt every year for 4-5 games, I do believe he’d be in the discussion for top 5. His ability to take over games is rare.

14. I agree. But yet is the key word. If this kid wasn’t hurt every year for 4-5 games….

_______
    Sounds more like the keyword is IF…as in in IF that flag was or wasn’t thrown or IF that defender didn’t whiff a tackle.. EVERYONE NFL team hinges on that.

15. They probably thought it would be best if 2 team mates both highly competitive, skipped practice and get things squared away between themselves.. Happened to me and my best friend
    in HS Football practice, 2 Nebraska football fans banging heads.. ah to be back there again!
    BTW were still friends 40 years later. Diggs and Rhodes will probably be too. I hadn’t though of that memory for decades. I still remember talking together after school that day, became better friends because of it. Sometimes Zimmer need to let his players work things out instead of him telling them how it needs to be.

16. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 8, 2018 at 6:37 pm

+++++

No, no you got it wrong, It was Rhodes and Diggs not Rhodes and Thielen.

17. Wow!
    The ink isn’t even dry on Diggs’ contract and he’s already acting like a first class Diva.
    Rhodes’ situation is no real surprise to anyone.
    He has a history of not listening to coach Zimmer.
    Sad. Inmates running the asylum.

18. boyso3 says:

August 8, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician
    Aug 8, 2018, 6:37 PM EDT

—————

I kind of agree, but who is better than him? Brown, OBJ, Julio, Hopkins, maybe Larry Fitz, AJ Green, but after that I can’t really name anyone who is for sure better.

I’d take Diggs for Cooper, Watkins, and even Adam Theilan at this point. Anyone who says Adam is better is basing it off of one season.

Diggs has all the skills to be a top receiver. Great route running, attacks the ball, good speed, and great at contested catches. I think the only thing holding him back is his durability issues.

19. I mean it’s only a matter of time before these divas (who have no right to be) start calling their own plays and doing whatever they want.

It’s just what they’ve done in the past. No reason to think it will change.

20. Boys will be boys. We are how many days into camp? Like Two weeks? Meh nothing to see here. More concerned about the O Line getting healthy than Diggsie and Rhodes trash talking.

21. Meh, two competitive players getting under each other’s skin. That’s not necessarily a bad thing — like a WR group that is unprepared, poorly coached and called out publicly by their HOF QB rather than quietly working with them to make them better.

22. wafflestomp says:

August 9, 2018 at 8:23 am

Wow!
    Rhodes’ situation is no real surprise to anyone.
    He has a history of not listening to coach Zimmer.
    Sad. Inmates running the asylum.

—————–

lol. Diggs is not a Diva. He is a hardworker. If he was a Diva he wouldn’t have accepted less than the standard WR going rate to stay in MN.

And Rhodes is one of the best Corners in the NFL. He didn’t listen to Zimmer in one game, ever! lol. That’s not much of a history. They are both players Green Bay would love to have! Just like Rodgers is a player we would love to have.

I’m not really worried about these two missing one practice. What I’m worried about is the offensive line.

23. Diggs caught some good balls when Rhodes was covering him, and was making a show and celebrating. That didn’t sit well with Rhodes, so Rhodes stayed on the field as the 2nd and 3rd teams came on, all the while jawing at Diggs on the sideline to get him back out on the field for another go. Diggs didn’t come back out.

Full props to the Access Vikings podcast for telling me the story before I told it here to you.

Personally, I love this action. I love that Diggs and Cousins can get it done, at least on a limited basis, against one of the best CBs in the game. And I love that Rhodes isn’t having any of it.

24. Wow, THATS why we waited in the autograph line for 3 hours after a 2.5 hour drive to camp only to find out Diggs wouldnt be signing anything?! You could still have sent him to the autograph line Zimmer! HOURS standing in the blazing sun on a cloudless 92 degree day. THANKS A LOT ZIMMER!!! Way to show the fans some appreciation!!!

25. packertruth says:
    August 9, 2018 at 7:14 am
    Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 8, 2018 at 6:37 pm

+++++

No, no you got it wrong, It was Rhodes and Diggs not Rhodes and Thielen.
    ________

Works either way.

26. 13worldchampioinships says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:01 pm
    stellarperformance says:
    August 8, 2018 at 7:45 pm
    He wouldn’t leave the field. I guess he’s ignoring the coaches. Again.

***

Why are you fight pickin?
    ////////////////////////////

Am I? Did he leave the field? No. Did he ignore hIs coaches? Yes. Again? Yes.

What’s the fight?

27. “If he was a Diva he wouldn’t have accepted less than the standard WR going rate to stay in MN.

Diggs is the 9th highest paid wide receiver. He has never had more than 903 yards receiving. What do you think the standard rate is?