Nick Easton likely out for year after neck surgery

Getty Images

The Vikings have been banged up on the offensive line this offseason and it looks like one of the injured players will be out for the rest of the year as well.

Nick Easton went to see a specialist this week after he began suffering neck pain last week and the result of that visit was a trip to the operating room. Easton’s agent Joe Linta told Adam Schefter of ESPN that Easton had surgery to repair a herniated disc.

As a result of the surgery, Linta said that Easton will likely miss the entire 2018 season. Easton was set to start at left guard this season, although he was filling in at center for Pat Elflein this summer as Elflein hasn’t been cleared after offseason ankle and shoulder surgeries.

Tom Compton has been filling in at left guard with Cornelius Edison at center and Danny Isidora taking Mike Remmers‘ place at right guard while Remmers recovers from an ankle injury. Quarterback Kirk Cousins recently called the shuffling good preparation for the regular season and it seems at least one of the backups will be in a much more prominent role than expected.

72 responses to “Nick Easton likely out for year after neck surgery

1. Compton has experience, and history with Cousins, so hoping not to much of a drop off if at all. Now let’s get the rest healthy.

2. That is really terrible. Easton isn’t a great player by any stretch but he fit in really well with the rest of the line. Things really got a lot worse when he got hurt toward the end of last season. At least he’s out early so there will be more time to integrate Isidora or Compton into the starting lineup. Getting Elflein back ASAP as really important because now there really isn’t a legitimate backup center either.

3. Well if there is any positivity from this…it’s that Easten is by far the most untalented part of the line. He missed a few games last year and little drop off was noticed….but it’s also never good losing quality offensive lineman.

If I were the Vikings I would try to talk Berger out of retirement. Get him back! NOW!

4. A lot of people will be watch Kirk to see if the deal the Vikings made was good or bad. It would be nice to have an OL capable of protecting him so we can judge based on his performance as a QB, not his performance on running for his life.

5. Losing Easton is a massive hit to the MN offensive line, especially with the questions surrounding Eflein going into the season. Given the issues up front the Vikings line does not look good, the line could revert to what they were in 2016. Cousin’s doesn’t operate well under heavy pressure at all and will start turning the ball over throwing the ball to guys in the wrong colored jersey if he’s under heavy duress and hit early and often. The Vikings offensive line situation is something to monitor heading into 2018. With Kirk as their QB if they cannot protect him it could sink any Super Bowl hopes that squad has.

6. ajzinnecker says:
    August 9, 2018 at 12:47 pm

_________

I agree they should check on Berger but he probably hasn’t kept himself in football shape. I don’t know why he would want to come back now if he didn’t want to come back five months ago.

I disagree that there was little dropoff noticed when he missed time last year. Maybe there wasn’t much change in the regular season, but he missed both playoff games and the line struggled. I don’t know how much that was due to him or to moving Remmers to guard to make up for it. I’d think Compton or Isidora would be almost as good but it’s a hit to the depth, too.

7. I was worried about the quality of our OL before Remmers got hurt, before Elfien was put on PUP, before Sparano passed away and before Easton had surgery. It’s nearly impossible to overcome a weak OL (See 2016 MN Vikings). This will likely be a tough season unless some of the younger guys make some serious strides.

8. hawkkiller says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:02 pm

______

Let’s not get too pessimistic. In 2016, they lost both tackles, who weren’t very good to begin with. Then the backups to the backups were lost for the season. So far, Easton is the only loss. Elflein is still expected back at some point and Reiff is a legitimate starting left tackle who hasn’t had any injury problems yet. There could always be a load of injuries, but 2016 was apocalyptic.

9. It’s not even week 1 of the preseason and this season is already lost.

You can’t patch an offensive line together every single year!!!! Why doesn’t this franchise understand this??!!

10. Not to concerned yet as there are 4 exhibition games and we will see how the offensive line holds up. Plus there will be some cuts from other clubs to their offensive line that the Vikings will be able to pick up. Plus the biggest question will be dalvin cook if he can play like he did before the acl injury and him helping the offensive line block.

11. aypeeswhippingstick says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:12 pm
    —————————
    That’s funny since you are asking other teams to release the hounds since GB doesn’t have anything on that side of the ball.

12. h0metownzero says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:11 pm
    I think we all know how shoddy MN healthcare is. I strongly suggest getting a 2nd opinion from out of state.
    **********
    Very astute observation. I guess we could acknowledge the fact that Mayo Clinic is considered one of the very best Medical Facilities in the world, but its more fun to ignore it so we can take a potshot at the expense of a dead coach. You’re pathetic man

13. After watching the way your fan base yucks it up at every other team’s misfortune, this is what I’d call well deserved Karma.
    And I hope it keeps on coming. You all thoroughly deserve it!

14. I’ll reiterate what I’ve said in the past, injuries in August are the worst, regardless of what team you root for.
    They can derail a team’s season before it even gets started.
    So hopefully, this is a small bump in the road.

The Packers play the Titans tonight and win/lose, I couldn’t care less.
    I just want the team to get the info they need on the rookies and to get through it relatively unscathed.

15. OK, everyone relax. All they have to do is sign a few free agents. Spielman can dump the aluminum can recycling bins from TCO Performance Center and see what he can come up with. The coaching staff can start donating plasma too.

16. I had herniated disc‘s in my neck a few months ago so I know exactly what that feels like, caused me mine blowing nerve pain in my right arm to the point where I couldn’t move at all without feeling pain. His must be more severe though because I didn’t need surgery, after about two months it thankfully cleared itself up

17. Karras71 says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:21 pm
    And I hope it keeps on coming. You all thoroughly deserve it!

////////

Nto me dude, I wished both Packers players good luck healing here on PFT who got hurt last week. don’t generalize everybody into being like a bad fan.

18. Better now than later, plenty of good FA’s still available, as well as camp cuts coming – if a Donald Penn fell into their lap, great. Would prefer a G/C though.

19. I remember the comments when Jake Ryan went down. Softest team in the league, now we’ve got excuses, blah blah blah. Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot doesn’t it guys?

20. It’s always interesting to read comments about how unhealthy and stupid Minnesotans are. Have you ever been there? Or seen statistics? Very successful state filled with healthy and educated people. Maybe you should all check it out. Wisconsion, on the other hand, typically doesn’t fare very will. Beautiful state though.

21. Karras71 says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:21 pm

And I hope it keeps on coming. You all thoroughly deserve it!
    _______

Nice generalization. And Packer fans yuck it up at other teams’ deaths. What do they deserve, then? If you’re a Lions fan and you believe in karma, I guess some Lions fan must have poked fun at some team’s 60 years of ineptitude 60 years ago.

22. filthymcnasty3 says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:09 pm
    Karma sucks. We tried to tell you people.

———-

His name is Alvin Kamara* and he’s not even mentioned in this post. He’s good. I don’t know why you would say this on a Vikings thread.

23. Unfortunate but it is what it is. I think if you ask any team what they need and the answer would be OL depth. Hopefully the Vikings can bring their young guns up to speed and get lucky come cut time or FA. The season must go on.

24. I was doubtful that Brzezinski was really a magician, but here he is making the Viking offensive line disappear.

IF the o-line woes hurt the Vikings performance be prepared for a raft of posts talking about how your GM should have prepared better for the potential losses to a key unit.

But since Minnesota has the deepest roster of any NFL team, that every team must “catch up to”, they can afford to use their first round pick for “depth” on the side of the ball where they were ranked 1st last year. Until they can’t.

25. Cousins is used to playing behind a decimated line. It’s not ideal, but if any QB can play well in that situation, it’s him. If the Vikes can find a way to get the running game working, they’ll be fine.

26. Preseason injuries are hurting everyone. What it really indicates is that the rosters need to be expanded. Add more players, give the coaches more practices and the ability to get guys ready. I’m tired of injuries deciding the season. This doesn’t need to be this way. There is no lack of talent, but there is a big problem with the size of the roster.

27. Hey Incognito about those texts….

Well, every season a team cuts a lineman during preseason who was expected to be a starter. There will likely be a couple serviceable guys available on the waiver wire.

Kirk gets the ball out so fast it probably isn’t going to matter

28. Better knowing now, than half way thru the season. At least now you can possibly address this a little easier, than it would be addressed later on.

29. Doesn’t matter. Still going to Superbowl and going to win. You could put replacement players in there, it wouldn’t matter. Superbowl! Zimmer is smart than every coach, defense is too good, and Cousins is 1b right behind Brady. Superbowl!

Says every delusional Vikings fan

30. filthymcnasty3 says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:09 pm
    Karma sucks. We tried to tell you people.
    ————————–

Kinda funny seeing karma talk from a guy who’s been banned 3 times for being a horrible person.

31. wafflestomp says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:29 pm
    They can derail a team’s season before it even gets started.
    So hopefully, this is a small bump in the road.

The Packers play the Titans tonight and win/lose, I couldn’t care less.
    *************************************

Give it a rest, Wafflestomp. As a Packer fan, you should know better than to let this lousy fan base off the hook.
    They are the worst, so full of their self entitlement and their team has never accomplished anything. Zero Super Bowls wins. Ever!!!
    At least I know my team has sucked in the past, a lot, and act accordingly.
    I don’t pretend my team and it’s players, are better than a perennial winner, year after year, when it’s clear to everyone with eyes and a basic knowledge of football, that it isn’t.
    It’s so Damn sickening.
    And the fact that they love to rub it in when an opposing player is hurt or injured is the worst yet.
    Last year’s injury to Rogers should have shown you that.
    They reap what they sow. It’s what they deserve. Give it to them.

32. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:41 pm
    Karras71 says:
    August 9, 2018 at 1:21 pm

And I hope it keeps on coming. You all thoroughly deserve it!
    _______

Right. I remember Vikings fans gloating when Rodgers went down.

33. packertruth says:
    August 9, 2018 at 2:02 pm

_________

Brzesinski is the salary cap guy, not the GM. He doesn’t draft players, nor does he cause injuries to them. Truth.

34. ragnarthemagnificent says:
    August 9, 2018 at 2:21 pm
    Hey Incognito about those texts….

Kirk gets the ball out so fast it probably isn’t going to matter
    ////////////
    The amount of delusional posts on this story just makes me laugh. This is just one example of many. Truly amusing.
    I’m sorry about the injuries your team has suffered on the offensive line. I’m not one to mock injuries, but I agree with quite a few others that this is just karmic justice for the Viking fans.
    Sad, but true.

35. Win Just One for Tony says:
    August 9, 2018 at 2:46 pm
    This is ridiculous. This team is stacked with the exception of a slight lack of depth at OL. Now, it looks like this lack of depth might derail the season before we even get started.

They were a good defense last year, but they had VERY few injuries. I don’t think they are that stacked. I see a deficiency at QB, and the O line is obviously weak.

36. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 9, 2018 at 3:07 pm
    Looks like Karras71 has joined Frank Booth as fans of other NFC North teams that love the Packers because their teams are so terrible.
    **************************
    You are too funny. I have no love for the Packers or their fans.
    No, what you mistake for love of a division rival is just an honest assessment. A full accounting of our division as a whole.
    Something you and the rest of the Viqueen fans sorely lack.
    I deeply despise the Packers, because more often than not they’ve bested my team and have been simply the best that the NFC North has had to offer
    That doesn’t mean I can’t respect them and all they’ve accomplished.
    At least when their fans talk smack, they actually have reason to.
    I take solace in the knowledge that it won’t last forever. Things change, they always do.
    And eventually I expect my team to be on top for once.
    And when they are, I suspect I’ll have a few Viking fans yapping in my ear about how much better their latest crappy team is.

37. skoltrain says:
    August 8, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I’m not going to worry until I hear IR, Season Ending or out 6+ weeks.

++++++

I hope you enjoyed your worry-free day.

38. Get me fat boy line 2 quick. This happened to the Vikings last season right before the Saints game. Completely reshuffled the line and it almost cost them vs the dirtbags & definitely cost the against Phi. Keenum for all his leadership last year, when he got hit he played like a backup QB and stared down his first option and threw up ducks. After that pee wee league toss for a TD return against the Eagles Case became a bowl of jello. There were 4 separate occasions where his secondary option was wide open with nobody to stop a TD and Case either dumped it off to RB or missed the pass to another covered receiver. 28 points down the tubes. Maybe Cousins hits those. The Oline being in shambles cost them. Spielman instead of fixing it in the draft with Hernandez drafts yet another CB/return specialist. Now the D vs Phi is easy to see why they blew it. Griffen injured his foot against Cle and never recovered. Could generate no rush on grass and should have rotated on passing situations only. FACT. The Vikings DB’s thrive on hard hits but if you get them in long pass routes covering receivers for extended periods they can be beat deep. The Redskins, Panthers, Eagles, Lions all did this. The Eagles exploited that perfectly. I wish Zim would stick to HC and leave the D to Edwards. So looks like we are all going to find out how Cousins does behind this line. With his ability to throw on the run and throw deep accurate passes it might not bother him as much as it did Keenum who just can’t throw over 30 yards without it being a floater or missing the target.

39. @karras71-

They don’t understand mutual respect and likely never will. They confuse distaste for rivalry. The easiest way to put it is like this:

If the NFL tried to move the Bears, the Lions, or the Packers out of this division, all three of those fan bases would likely storm the castle with pitchforks and torches. It just wouldn’t fly.

If the NFL tried to move the Vikings out of this division, all three of those aforementioned fan bases would likely enjoy a heated debate about what team they’d want moved in to replace them.

40. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    August 9, 2018 at 5:10 pm
    @karras71-

///////////////////////

41. If I were you I would lobby for the Staten Island Stapletons. During your hey days you could always count on a win.
    +++++
    or the Minneapolis Red Jackets, who finished their nfl career at 2-16-1.

Maybe it’s the water?

42. BearDown54 says:
    August 9, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Sad, but true

//////////////////

If I were you, I would wonder why the Bears draft pick Smith won’t sign. He is the only one who won’t sign his rookie contract. I wouldn’t want to play for that horrible team either.