Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes: All is well after “family thing”

Getty Images

Wide receiver Stefon Diggs and cornerback Xavier Rhodes were on the same page Thursday after being held out of Wednesday afternoon’s practice by head coach Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer said the pair “did not make me happy” by getting into it with one another during a walkthrough on Wednesday morning and called their behavior “juvenile” on Thursday. Zimmer added that “everything is good” now and both players echoed that when they spoke to the media.

Diggs called it a “family thing” that’s now in the past and Rhodes used a similar analogy to explain what happened between the players.

“It was just the competitive nature in us,” Rhodes said, via the Pioneer Press. “I didn’t want to lose. He didn’t want to lose. … It’s stuff like that if you have a sibling you grow up with and he does something you don’t like and then something tends to go off.”

Diggs also went to the time-honored training camp tradition of saying it will feel good to hit someone on another team after a long run of practices. He’ll get his chance in Denver on Saturday night.

44 responses to “Stefon Diggs and Xavier Rhodes: All is well after “family thing”

1. Anybody who ever played knows the feeling. It will be a great relief for all players to play an actual opponent. Glad nobody got hurt, and hope there are -0- injuries this year.

(#pipedream)

Glad to see the season get underway. Hope springs eternal!

2. The Vikes are ultra-competitive in their training camp while the Packers put forth piss poor effort in theirs.

3. Diggs probably got tired of Rhodes grabbing him at the top of the route, and got mouthy. As you will see him do more and more now that he’s set for life.

4. diveleft says:
    August 9, 2018 at 3:52 pm

——————————————————————————————-
    They didn’t look so “ultra-competitive” in the NFC Championship.

5. Their “family thing” took away from many others trying to do “family things” like trying to get their favorite players autograph instead he Welched, on them

6. It’s because they are both in the top 5 at their respective positions in the NFL. With that much talent comes that much pride, which is why neither one want to be on the tail end of a play.

7. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm
    I wish I could control my kids as well as Zimmer does.
    __________

Rip up some stuffed animals in front of them in a fit of rage and they might.

8. So viking players are acting like who and what they are, and all their fans can think about is the Packers. I like that. Obsession about something other than your own business is just a little edge we’ll have. An what is with their obsession with Rogers. Grow up, mind your own business, Rogers is only one player. Children playing on the team, and children in the stands.

9. It’s a cultural thing. Zero self control, no accountability, ultra confrontational..and they wonder why nobody trusts them.

10. ariani1985:

Reggie white said this years packer team has no fight.
    ——————————————————
    Tony Sparano said Vike’s O-line sucks.

11. I think Diggs made a lot of money off that miracle catch and is feeling special. He’ll come back down. So is this where all my Packers friends have been hiding out since last season? On Vikings threads? Or did they just now decide to show up? Hmm, wonder what changed…

12. Ah, good to be back. Two vike players get in a fight in training camp and vike fans automatically think super bowl. You couldn’t even get to the big game with Favre having one of his best (statistically speaking) seasons, but I’m sure you will this year because 2 guys got in a fight.

13. Man If I had the money , I’d open a “ chicken Ranch” the day training camp is over in every training camp location ..!!!

14. Rhodes is pretty talented, but he needs to cut down on the penalties. Pretty sure nobody on vikes has been penalized as much as he has so far during his career. a lot of those penalties help to keep drives a live for other teams, too, so it’s a much bigger problem than just the yardage he’s giving up.

15. Sconny’s on here talking trash about inbreds and what have you in MN? LOL your state produced Ed Gein, Dahmer, and that piece of trash on that making a murderer show. What’s that old saying..don’t throw stones when you live in a glass house? LOL…Sconny’s….get a real city and get back to us.

16. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm
    I wish I could control my kids as well as Zimmer does.
    ============================================================================================
    You mean like his son Adam Zimmer who earned his way onto the Vikings as a coach who got a DUI a few years ago?

Zero excuses for this team not to win a Super Bowl. According to Vikings’ fans, nearly every player is a stud, they have the best facilities, best GM, best head coach, best ownership. With all of these “studs”, they should easily have the talent to overcome the line problems.

17. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    August 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
    ________________

Umm….just because you recently paid someone as a top 5, doesn’t necessarily mean they rate out as a top 5……..you know…at least skill wise.
    But, thanks for the giggle.

18. terrystown says:
    August 9, 2018 at 5:53 pm
    _____________________

Well Terry, for the sake of accuracy, Jeffrey Dahmer was actually a product of the state of Ohio, where he committed his first murder.
    But then again, I wouldn’t hold it against them.

As for the rest, you got me.
    Ed Gein did commit some horrible acts in the 1950s.
    And it’s true, there was a man who murdered a young woman that was highlighted on a Netflix show.
    I know, we are all horrible people, obviously.

It must be just wonderful living across the border, in the land of Oz, where murders never happen, the women are always beautiful, where everybody is eclectic, funny and intelligent and Super Bowl Championships are plentiful……..Oh wait.

And I’ll have to get back to you about that whole “real city” thing if I can find one, but how am I ever going to impress someone like you, who, judging from your monicker, obviously owns his own.

19. “The thing that puzzles me is, with the best GM, the best defense, adequate QB play, and given everything else, shouldn’t the great Zimmer have more than one playoff win at this point?”

And if not for a miracle play, Zimmer would be 0-3 in the post season.

20. thegreatjimbrown says:
    August 9, 2018 at 7:44 pm

And if not for a miracle play, Zimmer would be 0-3 in the post season.
    ________________________

Well, to be fair, they never would have suffered that humiliating loss to the Eagles if the Vikes hadn’t converted that miracle play.
    Which would have only left Zimmer at 0-2.
    And if my math skills are correct, that still comes to a postseason winning percentage of .000.

21. terrystown says:
    August 9, 2018 at 5:53 pm

——————

The most laugh-inducing post of the night.

First off, I’m plenty happy with Milwaukee being a “real city”, which was recently rated a Top-10 city in America

Outside of that, we have Madison, which surpasses any city in Minnesota in many ways.

Oh yeah, we also have far more other urban areas like Green Bay, Fox Cities of Appleton & Oshkosh, Eau Claire, Kenosha, Wausau, Sheboygan and more which surpass the two (Duluth and Rochester) your state has outside of Mpls.

We have a much better University.

We have much better options to enjoy the outdoors and nature, with all of our Great Lakes shorelines on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. We also have well over 10,000 lakes.

We have a real conservative as a governor, instead of the snowflake governor in your state.

And we have the Packers, the 13-time World Champions, and 4-time Super Bowl Champions.

MIC DROP.

22. Hmmmm. Ok.

I bet it is after your head coach was super mad about it.

The Vikings could be a really good team this year. They could also get any QB behind that O-line murdered.

I’m guessing more that the latter happens. 8-8 ish after Mr. Guarantee goes down in week 3.

That *might* be good enough for 3rd in the division…but I doubt it.

Enjoy going back into obscurity, Vikes!

23. Zimmer said he wasn’t happy and keeps both players out of practice because how they acted. And yet fans from another teams say the Vikings condone this activity from their players. Please get a dictionary.

24. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says: “I wish I could control my kids as well as Zimmer does.”

Said Mike McCarthy