Gronk says with wise investments, he has more money than he’s made

AP

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is sometimes viewed as a meathead, but he’s smart when it comes to money.

Gronkowski, who has made about $45 million in his NFL career, told Maverick Carter that his net worth is more than that because he lives off his endorsement money and he’s made more in investments than he’s spent.

Gronkowski said that although he and his brothers made it to the NFL, their parents never allowed them to just be dumb jocks.

“They hounded us on school,” Gronkowski said.

Gronkowski said it’s now well known around the NFL that he’s smart with money, to the point that he gets questions from younger players who want to know how to manage their money.

80 responses to “Gronk says with wise investments, he has more money than he’s made

1. Not to knock him, but Gronk has the ability to make a lot more off endorsements than most players. In addition, being on a team that goes deep in the playoffs every year adds to his income.

It would be much harder for an average linebacker on a losing team to save as much of their salary as Gronk has.

Gronk is still to be commended for his fiscal responsibility and sets a great example for other players.

2. Good! then he doesn’t need a new high dollar contract. all of these contracts are like monopoly money. Even the worst of the worst don ‘t flinch at $15K fines for misconduct…

3. The guy doesn’t squander his $ on yachts, supercars and exotic animals and still seems to have a good time.

When he’s done playing he could probably run his own money management company, handling pro athletes $…Like a real life ‘Ballers’

4. Gronk plays hard…parties hard, and it seems has always looked to his future after football. I can’t stand the Patriots BUT love this guy. Living life to the fullest. ( oh by the way, watch the last play of the Super Bowl vs the Eagles and how he was just truck’en and crush’en any Eagle to get to the goalline…it was great & i love the Eagles)

5. Yeah but he has roommates. Seriously as an adult male the only person I want to live with is my significant other, and even that has its ups and downs. Maybe it’s just me. But I’d rather not have to lock my bedroom every time I leave the house.

6. terripet says:
    August 15, 2018 at 12:49 pm
    When you go on Ir you can spend some of it

——-

IR….that’s the place the Colts payed Andrew Luck $50M to spend the past two seasons right?

7. I hope he and his accountant are on “the same page” or the IRS may be quite interested in that claim!!!! kidding, good for Gronk!!!

8. Gronk is oddly positioned to benefit from his party lifestyle: running booze cruises and endorsing energy drinks apparently has paid dividends for him. Gronk knows his persona and milks it for money. It’s the American way!

9. I bet he has someone that handles the investment decisions and the money. It’s definitely a smart decision for a millionaire athlete to use someone like that to manage your money. But you can’t give him 100% of the credit for his investment earnings. I say that to say I doubt he is going to pursue a career as a financial advisor or money manager as some are suggesting here. I would guess someone does that stuff for him.

10. Gronk has Hollywood potential. He’s got the looks, the physical presence, karisma, hell, everybody likes him (even the Pats haters). See Dwyane Johnson, aka The Rock and the highest paid actor today. Gronk, when you are ready to leave NE Fear Prison and start a new career where you will be treated with respect, appreciation, and a friendly work environment, go west my man, go west.

11. Great that he hasn’t blown his nest egg. But lets be honest; Gronk IS a meathead. My guess is that his only fiscally responsible decision is letting someone else more qualified to make decisions with his money on his behalf.

12. Rdog says:
    August 15, 2018 at 1:18 pm

0 0 Rate This

True. But don’t try to take anything away from him. The fact he had the idea to hire someone to do is also brilliant in its own way.

13. badboysgetspanked says:
    August 15, 2018 at 12:48 pm
    Only a fool advertises how much money he has.

——————

The percentage of successful fools is pretty high in that case.

14. You mention is net earnings, but don’t forget to subtract half from taxes. If Gronk has way more than his net earnings then he also has made some great investments.

15. This works for everyone, btw. Live within your means, save, and invest. Except for socialists, of course, who can take an entire country’s wealth and destroy it in just a few years. For “fairness.”

16. Keyword on this story is “parents”. Parents that instilled in them to be smart with their money. How many other players can say the same?

17. Years back I saw an interview with some celebrity saying how hard it is to spend your own money when you’re at peak popularity. He said at times he wouldn’t even take his wallet with him because he knew he would never be asked to pay for anything. Even when he offered to pay for things people would knock themselves out to keep him from doing so.

18. Jesus, where has Gronk tried to take personal credit for making his own investments? Where? I’m sure he has a crack investment team to grow his assets. Don’t you? Everybody does except unemployed fanboys. Carry on fanboys. Your jealousy is delicious.

19. “If you see my NFL money, how much I’ve made — I got way more than that, baby,” Gronkowski said.

— Well yeah, in most cases I would expect that.

20. Exhibit A on how to blow your earnings up the wall:

Corey Coleman and his 1000 pair of sneakers.

21. Exhibit A on how to blow your earnings up the wall:

Corey Coleman and his 1000 pair of sneakers.
    ======

C’mon!!

Who doesn’t need a pair of sneakers to wear every day for nearly 3 years??!!

Or 3 pairs a day for nearly a year??…..

22. There is absolutely nothing that is Patriot -related that won’t be trolled. If more people handled their money this way, there would be a lot less bankruptcy filings. The guy EARNED the money the hard way and parlayed it into more…good for Gronk. He certainly did his share of suffering for the football money.

23. Rich guys like Gronk have rich friends like Mark Wahlberg, who have probably helped Gronk double his money with smart investment advice.

24. Yah, cause Wahlberg’s such a genius. He did get his GED a few yrs ago. He couldn’t finish high school when he was a kid because he was in the can

25. Gronk like touchdown, Gronk like party, Gronk like girl, Gronk like investing in synthetic collateralized debt obligations.

26. It’s too bad that many people are going to rip him for sharing this. It’s not like he held a press conference to announce his financial affairs. He was asked about it and he answered the question. That’s how these things work.

27. He parties for free and gets paid for it. Marry somebody like Gisele though. Stay away from gold diggers.

28. Rdog says:
    August 15, 2018 at 1:18 pm
    *****
    This is a troll comment, right? Anyone with that kind of jack hires a financial adviser. It’s common knowledge. Wouldn’t you?

29. Yeah because he didn’t spend all his money on cars houses bling partying strip clubs and taking care of all the homies. Smart!

30. why would you ever advertise your wealth?
    *****
    A good point, actually, although I’m sure Gronk has state of the art security system with crotch-biting Rottweilers lurking inside. Joking aside there are crews who scour the obituaries for funeral times and names of next of kin, then hit their houses after scoping them out. Happens every day.

31. Playing for the Patriots has provided great wealth for the players. They are smart taking less As a result they make more.

32. I got a little more than half way down and read all the positive statements like he’s actually a smart dude. I hope that’s the case. The other possibly is that he really is a meathead jock and some money manager is just showing him false statements.
    He doesn’t seem to spend his money frivolously, but that doesn’t mean that someone else isn’t.

33. A big part of being financial success is realizing you can have a lot of fun with out wasting money. Too many people enjoy the actual spending of the money as opposed to the activities the money allows.

34. Knowing all the facts would be helpful before drawing conclusions. So if Gronk blew $200 million in endorsement money during that time span is he “still smart with his money”?

35. “If you see my NFL money, how much I’ve made — I got way more than that, baby,” Gronkowski said.

It’s too bad that he can’t use some of that cash to buy a brain, what a true meat-head!

36. I bet when Gronk goes out he’s not wasting money on thousand dollar bottles of champagne. He just grabs himself a beer

37. I feel like Gronkowski is mostly playing a character, playing up his “bro-ness” for comic effect and because it draws sponsors like flies. I don’t think you can be a complete meathead and thrive in the Patriots offense. I think he’s an otherwise smart guy and definity shrewd with his money.

Yes he no doubt has investment professionals assisting him but nearly every pro athlete has access to the same and yet how often do we hear about guys going bankrupt shortly after their playing days? I don’t expect Gronkowski to ever be in that category.

38. ipskipskyblue says:
    August 15, 2018 at 3:55 pm
    the head lines after their first road game
    Gronks house robbed

why would you ever advertise your wealth?

——

39. When you’re in your early to mid twenties you think you’ll live forever. If you have smart, determined people around you, with great advice, and you pay attention and learn, it’ll benefit you later in life. Good for him.

40. Think that he is a wise smart man for someone who loves to party. But still a lot of players end up broke spending it on flashy cars and homes. Glad Gronk got smart. May have had family help.

41. Actually, Gronkowski’s house was robbed earlier this year while he was playing in the Super Bowl. The thieves barely got anything, but it made the local news.
    *****
    Man, these house ripoff teams are good. I’m sure Gronk has super good security too. If they want you they’ll get you.

42. Basketball great Rick Barry was smarter and he made wise investments. But unfortunately he made all his investments in one sector of the economy, according to him, instead of diversifying, and he lost his fortune.

43. tedmurph says:
    August 15, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Good to know that jealousy extends beyond Patriot Place. Normal people would look at that as a happy ending story. And compared to pretty much anyone who comments here, ya, he is a genius. Helped his brothers set up viable long term businesses, continues in a film career that will provide him revenue well beyond the playing years of any athlete.

44. One of Gronks first Investments was Body Armor Sports Drink. Which Kobe Bryant was also an investor in. Which was Just recently Purchased By Coke. Gronk was a spokeperson /Investor. when he became involved with Monster Energy. he was No longer spokesperson but he kept his shares in BA. It Has been reported Kobe $6mil investment paid him $200 Mil recently. A healthy return. just dont know how much Stock gronk had.

45. .
    that won’t work for the majority of other players as they do not get endorsements like him…
    being a dominant force in the NFL doesn’t guarantee endorsements either.
    is demarcus lawrence doing commercials?