Aaron Rodgers got everything he wanted from his one preseason series

AP

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers played one series in Thursday night’s preseason game, and did everything he wanted to do.

Rodgers said all he wanted from the preseason game was to knock some rust off and connect with new tight end Jimmy Graham and returning No. 1 receiver Davante Adams. Mission accomplished.

“I got rid of the nerves, got hit, had a scramble and a slide, and hit Jimmy and Davante. That’s kind of the checklist of my first action,” Rodgers said.

Thursday night’s game was the first time Rodgers and Graham have played a game as teammates, and Rodgers is liking what he’s seeing from the five-time Pro Bowl tight end.

“He can do it all over the field,” Rodgers said. “He’s an incredible athlete, he’s got a wide, wide catch radius and there’s a lot of things he can do. It’s exciting to be able to have a guy like that.”

After Rodgers hit Graham for a touchdown on the starters’ only series, the backups put on a show, and the Packers beat the Steelers 51-34. Everyone in Green Bay had to like that.

71 responses to “Aaron Rodgers got everything he wanted from his one preseason series

1. Man. I know its preseason but I really believe the Packs offense is going to be scary. Only concern is the O-line keeping Roger’s from getting hammered. Go Pack Go

2. Sharp drive, but nothing too impressive. Adams had such loose coverage he was allowed to run for like 40 yards. As a Viking fan thou, I’m worried about the JimmyG Red Zone factor. Maybe Barr can cover him. Should be a fun division this year!

3. Defense still needs work — gave up 34 points to Steelers back-ups. That’s cause for concern. And I am a Packers fan since the days of Head Coach Scooter McLean.

4. Didn’t Rodgers already win the SB this year? And last year. And next year? That’s what I keep hearing.

5. jimmysee says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:06 am
    ——————————–

HaHa looked a bit lost out there…..

but Josh Jackson looks solid

6. kingcheese says:

August 17, 2018 at 7:52 am

——————–
    Hmmm…..it seems that when Vikings fans get excited about one drive, the packer fans shoot it down.
    But when their QB has one good drive in the preseason, “it’s a scary offense”.

7. Oh boy on series and one TD, he’s already satisfied. No wonder pack ain’t going any where. It’s always one TD then I’m done, we win. lol

8. Can he play defense cuz pack defense is horrible, then you turn around and look at Vikings defense is stout. No team can run or throw on them. pack will have a tough year, maybe best 3rd team in the north.

9. Can he play defense cuz pack defense is horrible, then you turn around and look at Vikings defense is stout. No team can run or throw on them. pack will have a tough year, maybe 3rd best team in the north.

10. What am I talking about, my vikings are doomed to futility once again after our once-every-decade good season. Might as well cheer for the greatest QB of all time, Aaron Rodgers. Go Pack Go!

11. codylaws says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:55 am

————-
    If no team can run or throw in them then how did they lose to the Eagles?

12. HE got everything HE wanted. What about his teammates, new receivers, getting their timing down in game situations against another team with their QB? Brady played the entire first half last night for just that reason. That is why Rodgers will never be a winner like Brady.

13. “Packers defense still needs work. Gave up 34 points to Steelers back-ups”

============

You are aware it was a pre season game and the Packers back-ups played the majority of the game as well? I hope so. I am a little nervous for you if you actually are this completely clueless.

Real Packers fans don’t have to type “And I am a Packers fan”

14. nhpats says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:14 am

If no team can run or throw in them then how did they lose to the Eagles?

————–

Good point, 38-7, so you win.

15. HE got everything HE wanted. What about his teammates, new receivers, getting their timing down in game situations against another team with their QB? Brady played the entire first half last night for just that reason.
    ======

And if Brady had taken a shot to the knee.. or rolled up his ankle.. whats the commentary then??

16. The Packers had such a sucky year in 2017 that we’re excited for 2018. Aaron is back. We have a new defensive coordinator. And Now Jimmy Graham is in the house. Go Pack Go!

17. We all need to remember that 2 Time MVP and Super Bowl Champion Aaron Rodgers knows what he needs to accomplish in the preseason.
    I’d trust him much more than, say… a QB that has never won a playoff game playing for a team that had a Home Super Bowl in their grasp and $#!t the bed in a way that redefined ineptitude.

18. “And if Brady had taken a shot to the kneee or rolled up a ankle..whats the commentary then”

============

Exactly aarons444

Aaron would like to play a little more in pre season, but he isn’t in charge of that, the coaches are.

You can’t wrap your QB in bubble wrap in May and not unwrap till Sept, but you also do not need to take unnecessary risks in meaningless pre season games.

19. nitzie says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:28 am
    How many Vikings trolls were even alive the last team their team made a Superbowl?
    ————-
    And how many packer trolls were alive for all of those “13 world titles”?
    If being alive is the qualification necessary to touting, than packer trolls should stop with this nonsense. You’ve got 2. That’s more than Vikings, but then please stop with the other 11.

20. stellarperformance says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:38 am
    It’s only preseason. I got out of it what I wanted too…….Viking troll anxiety.
    ——————————————

A rookie QB just diced up the Packers 1st string defense. I figure Cousins could throw it left handed and do the same. You’re mistaking anxiety for anticipation.

21. Hate the Packers but the Rodgers to Graham connection is scary. Should be a fun year in the NFCN. Skol Vikes.

22. Packers fans:
    After 1 preseason game we are going to the Superbowl!
    All other NFL fans are delusional.

23. “The Packers are who we thought they were.If you want to crown them, then crown their ass!” Yep NFC North the Green Jesus is back no need to play the season because the Packers are automatically in the play-offs by default because he’s back. Its pre-season Felicia, your “new defense” got sliced up by and 2nd string QB and Le’veon Bells back up. Did Antonio even play last night? Congrats your 2-0 in the pre season. (slow claps)

24. nitzie says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:28 am

/////////

I’m 53 seen all four of em!

25. Liberalsruineverything says:
    August 17, 2018 at 10:37 am

================================

You must have missed the 1st play of the game. That said – I’m worried about a pass rush. Clay can’t get home 1 vs 1. MACK ATTACK TIME!!

26. mrdarkness13 says:

August 17, 2018 at 11:01 am

nitzie says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:28 am

/////////

I’m 53 seen all four of em!
    ————-
    So have I.

Most packer fans have seen only 2 of their superbowls. (3 if they brag about the one they lost). Yet they brag about the other 11 as if they just watched them when they weren’t even alive.

27. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    August 17, 2018 at 11:19 am
    mrdarkness13 says:

August 17, 2018 at 11:01 am

nitzie says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:28 am

/////////

I’m 53 seen all four of em!
    ————-
    So have I.

//////////

I work with two Packers fans who always always brought the rings thing up. They only know the Farve / Rodgers era. If ya gonna brag about 13 World Championships at least know the history of your team! Besides Man U, Packers have the biggest bandwagon fan base.

28. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    August 17, 2018 at 10:31 am
    nitzie says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:28 am
    ————-
    And how many packer trolls were alive for all of those “13 world titles”?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can’t speak for the trolls, but I’ve been alive for seven of them. Coincidentally, these are the seven that have come since your Vikings came into existence. I get it, it must make you feel better to think the Packers are only up on you 2-0 but the Packers are up 7-0 since the long boat limped away from the dock and 13-0 overall. You can complain all you like but the record book says 13-0.

Is there anything else I can hep you with?

29. “A rookie QB just diced up the Packers 1st string defense.”

Afraid not. They didn’t play 2 starters in the secondary: Kevin King and Jaire Alexander.

And since Cousins is known for throwing 4th quarter picks, the 2 pick sixes were particularly exciting.

30. “3 if they brag about the one they lost”

==========

Says dude bragging about seeing the 4 Super Bowls the Vikings LOST.

And how do you know which Packers fans did or didn’t see all 4 Super Bowl WINS?

Yes I was alive for the 1996 and 2010 Green Bay World Championships. Two of the best sports memories of my life. And I know personally MANY Packers fans who were alive for the 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967 World Championships as well.

Also, I don’t know them personally, but I have seen some that were alive for all 13 World Championships.

Vikings fans look at yourselves, you are in a Packers thread crying because you are butthurt that your team has never given you the joy to experience a World Championship.

Clear your eyes of tears long enough to look in the mirror and see how pathetic you come off in EVERY Packers thread.

#100Seasons

#Titletown

#GoPackGo

31. freefromwhatyouare says:

August 17, 2018 at 11:47 am

“3 if they brag about the one they lost”

==========

Says dude bragging about seeing the 4 Super Bowls the Vikings LOST
    —————-
    In case you missed it, which you clearly did, a packer troll BROUGHT up the point that most Vikings ans weren’t even alive for the four superbowl appearances.
    It wasn’t a Viking fan who brought it up.
    It was one of your foolish packer trolls who did.

If being alive is the requirement, by your own packer fan rules, then stop bragging about “13 world titles” that you have NEVER SEEN.

32. kingcheese says:
    August 17, 2018 at 7:52 am

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    What O line? They looked like crapola last night and that was against the second team of the stealers, the better guys were held out. Rogers is going down just dont know which shoulder this time.

33. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 17, 2018 at 12:09 pm

What time is the parade?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February, if all goes well. It’s a long shot with all the changes but there’s no harm in a little cautious optimism. You should try it some time.

34. Cabbage, you’ve never seen me predict a Super Bowl. As a Viking fan, that would be crazy. The problem is that whenever any Viking fan expresses cautious optimism, which I think is warranted this season, guys like you claim every one of us is guaranteeing a championship.

35. A rookie QB just diced up the Packers 1st string defense. I figure Cousins could throw it left handed and do the same. You’re mistaking anxiety for anticipation
    ________

Thats better than mistaking vanilla preseason defense for what will be seen during regular season.

36. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    August 17, 2018 at 12:35 pm
    Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    August 17, 2018 at 12:09 pm

What time is the parade?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

——–
    Last year the night before Rodgers was hurt you were on here going on and on about Green Bay’s depth and being a superior organization saying even if Rodgers was hurt Green Bay would still be the better team and win. After Rodgers was hurt you disappeared from here. I can only assume you stopped watch Green Bay games as well if you have any kind of optimism for the upcoming season with that team.

37. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    August 17, 2018 at 12:03 pm
    freefromwhatyouare says:

August 17, 2018 at 11:47 am

“3 if they brag about the one they lost”

==========

Says dude bragging about seeing the 4 Super Bowls the Vikings LOST
    —————-
    It wasn’t a Viking fan who brought it up.
    It was one of your foolish packer trolls who did.

\\\\

I have seen three super bowls and two wins. My great grandfather lived to be 100 years old and saw every one of them. He also got his season tickets to Lambeau when it was built, still in our family today.

My family has enjoyed the history and success. I have no problem being proud of all the championships because of it. I used to enjoy listening to him talk about them.

Trying to minimize it is childish. Someday your team will get one and I bet you will enjoy telling your grand-kids about it. The viking fan way right now is to minimize any success another team has had to make their team feel relevant. Your first post on this thread confirms no one said anything about the vikings until you made the point to drag them into the conversation. Seeking relevance.

38. Someday your team will get one and I bet you will enjoy telling your grand-kids about it.

I don’t think any current generation of Viking fan will ever see a Lombardi trophy. For one thing, the “Loserville” culture is just too strong. For another thing, they win a lot of Darwin awards in MN and don’t have a lot of remaining runway left in terms of life expectancy.

39. Are “Vikings fans” really thinking they can tell us Packers fans how they feel we should celebrate the history of our team?

Way too funny.

It is really shocking at times how much they embarrass themselves.

40. Someday your team will get one and I bet you will enjoy telling your grand-kids about it.
    ——
    This is what you are proud of, that you watched a football game? How about sharing with your grand kids your accomplishments?
    What’s worse, being proud that you watched a football game of the team that you cheer for OR thinking that you had anything to do with it?

41. cheeseisfattening says:
    August 17, 2018 at 5:17 pm
    ——

————

The fact that you took the context of the Packers being the only thing Im proud of in my life is cute, but it actually shows a very shallow mentality on your part. I dont come on a football site to do anything other than talk about football. Do you want to hear about my life and accomplishments while browsing PFT?

I didnt create a username pertaining to the team I hate. I didn’t even create a username pertaining to my team, but you want to challenge me on the grounds that football is the only thing I live for? Funny, but thanks for jumping in and proving my point.

Your username is a perfect example of the dependance you have with sport and the obsession you have to prove your teams relevance.

42. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    August 17, 2018 at 11:19 am
    ////////////////////////////

I’ve seen three Packer SuperBowls on TV, two in-person, and I’m an Ice Bowl veteran. I was there throughout the Dark Years and loved every minute of it. I’m a very patient and appreciative fan that doesn’t require the Packers to ever win anything ever again. That’s why I can’t identify with how wired and frustrated and angry many Viking fans are.

…….good luck with that.

43. The fact that you took the context of the Packers being the only thing Im proud of in my life is cute
    —–
    Maybe you need to reread my comments, you’re not quite grasping it.
    Hey did you also share with your grand kids that you watched the last episode of Mash?

44. cheeseisfattening says:
    August 17, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Maybe you need to reread my comments, you’re not quite grasping it.

+++++

Believe me when I say this – nobody needs to reread your comments. It’s a waste of time to read them once.

45. aarons444 says: “I just can’t root for Jimmy Graham. Simply can’t do it”

===============

I know you feel he is overrated and say he will flop in Green Bay. The facts just don’t jive with your statements however.

This is one of the best TE’s in the NFL. You can disagree, you are entitled to your opinion, but not many who are anything other than haters agree with you.

You can claim he is “lazy” or that “Seattle fans hated him” or some other petty dislike. That is fine. But the fact he is a very talented TE does not go away.

If you are really a Packers fan as you claim I think you will enjoy the results he has this year catching balls from the best QB in the league. Not sure why you feel the need to constantly hate on him. At least give it a wait and see this year. As a “Packers Fan” I think you may like the results.

46. andrwken says:
    August 17, 2018 at 3:28 pm

. My great grandfather lived to be 100 years old and saw every one of them.

///////////////////

Gramps must have had some TV

47. 1L says:

August 18, 2018 at 7:41 pm

he’s 53 and still posts on packer articles on the internet! lolol. yikes

????????????????????????

hey kiddo, all of packer trolls are over 70

48. I’ve heard people say the last few years in Seattle he was “garbage” This also is not true. 2016 he had 65 catches for 920 yards. 2017, 57 catches and 10 TD’s. Now granted in Seattle’s system he didn’t have the one 99 catch year or 80+ catch years like he had with the Saints, but come on. Back in a pass heavy offense with a QB better than Brees..I think you will be embarrassed all season if you continue this “Jimmy Graham sucks” charade.
    ======

Did you watch him play last year?

The guy quit. I’d be embarrassed to root for someone like that.

.. as for the rest, lets put it this way;

Pretend Warren Sapp had signed with the Packers. Would you be able to root for him?? After the Chad Clifton/Mike Sherman episode, and all the years of being public enemy #1?

Or Randy Moss, after the mooning episode?

I won’t root for Graham. I’d be embarrassed to root for a quitter. Don’t care how many passes he catches, or how many tds he scores… which, by the way, scoring in the redzone has never been a problem with Rodgers at the controls.