Dalvin Cook “100 percent” ready, but no word on if he’ll play Saturday

Getty Images

Vikings running back Dalvin Cook came into training camp without any limitations on his practice schedule and feeling ready for contact after tearing his ACL in the fourth game of the 2017 season.

Cook got some of that contact in practices with the Vikings and some more in joint practices with the Jaguars this week, but it’s unclear when he might cross playing in a game off his list. While Cook said he’s “100 percent,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer declined to say whether Cook will be in the lineup in Saturday’s game against the Jaguars.

“I know everybody wants to see me out on the field and all that, but the coaches know what’s really going on, and they know I’m going to be ready to go once they call my number. I don’t get into the whole debate game of me playing or not,” Cook said, via the team’s website. “They pull my jersey, I don’t play, I just sit it out and cheer my teammates on. When my number does get called to go out there, they know I’ll be ready to go.”

Cook said the joint practices were beneficial even if he doesn’t play in this weekend’s game. He said he had to “make those cuts more precise” against an opposing defense than he does when facing his own teammates, which leaves him feeling ready whenever Zimmer decides it is time for the next step.

45 responses to “Dalvin Cook “100 percent” ready, but no word on if he’ll play Saturday

1. No need to risk it. Keep him out for the remainder of the preseason and keep him fresh for week one.

2. I’ve heard nothing but positive reports from people who have watched Cook in camp. If he’s just as good as he was last year, it will be a huge boost for the offense. I think the passing game will get better as the year goes along so there might be a lot of leaning on Dalvin in the first few games. They’ll probably get him in for a series or two in the third preseason game and that should be plenty.

3. This is the annual thank you for the clueless Packer management for passing on this best player in the 2017 draft despite the definite need. Just like they did with Kendricks in 2016. Cook will lead RBs in total yards this year if he stays healthy.

4. Well, at least he’s not abusing animals anymore, robbing people, vandalizing other people’s property or unleashing firearms on school property, so yeah, he’s got all that going for him too.
    Oh, and punching girls……..he hasn’t been punching girls either…almost forget about that one.

5. Have they sculpted his HOF bust yet

———-

Yup, it’s going to be right next to Eddie Lacy’s

6. This is the annual thank you for the clueless Packer management for passing on this best player in the 2017 draft despite the definite need. Just like they did with Kendricks in 2016. Cook will lead RBs in total yards this year if he stays healthy.

——————————————-

Your welcome. And this is the start of the annual Thank you to the clueless Vikings management for overpaying for an unproven QB, while the best QB you’ve had in 20 years signs a much cheaper contract with the Broncos.

7. Cook’s legacy will be more about his criminal behavior than his RB stats. The only question is will his criminal history surpass that of the child gonad whipper’s.

8. We know what he can do and that he is the unquestioned starter. Give Murray a few reps and then give the rest to Mike Boone and Roc Thomas so they can fight for that 3rd RB spot.

9. tokyosandblaster says:

August 17, 2018 at 12:35 pm

I’m excited to see his 3-4 games this year.

—————

So about the same as the Green Bay running backs?

10. ——————————————-

——

I’m going to go with Favre over Case…And Case still got paid a lot of money…25 guaranteed over 2 years. Case played well…it was also 1 good year on a loaded team. Did Kirk get overpaid, maybe, but that is because Washinton foolishly franchised him 2 years in a row. But that’s the price of a franchise QB. Do I need to remind you that Jimmy G is getting paid 27.5 mil this year? Talk about unproven…he has started what, 6 or 7 games? Cousins has 3 straight 4,000 yard seasons.

11. Yup, it’s going to be right next to Eddie Lacy’s
    *************************************************
    Not wise- Eddie Lacy’s bust would eat Dalvin Cook’s bust.

12. joker65
    30m ago
    Have they sculpted his HOF bust yet

———-

Yup, it’s going to be right next to Eddie Lacy’s

__________________________________________

Probably not, considering Eddie Lacy’s bust would have its own room at Canton

13. Given that Cook is just a 2nd year player with very few actual regular season snaps under his belt, they should have him playing atleast 2-3 series per game to knock the rust off as he hasnt played in a real game forever.

14. “If hes healthy don’t risk it”

He’s going into his sophmore season!!!! And you are going to treat him like Tomlinson or AP in his prime!?!

If he is healthy put him in there for a series in weeks 2 and 3.

15. aypeeswhippingstick says:
    August 17, 2018 at 11:34 am
    At least he isn’t one of the coaches. I heard coaching for the Vikings is now officially more dangerous to your health than farming.
    *****
    Trash talking is one thing, but making an a$$inine comment like that just a couple of weeks after a beloved Vikings assistant coach died is about as low and classless as a human being can get. Disgusting.

16. Alan Light says:
    August 17, 2018 at 11:34 am
    ============================================================================================
    He hasn’t even proven himself to be the best running back in the 2017 draft after one year. Alvin Kamara had the best YPC in the NFL, was 6th in yards from scrimmage, and 2nd in rush/receiving TD’s.

17. Why bother — we’ve only got about 3 healthy O-linemen. And I see the self-loathing cheeser troll that wrote in to Magary’s annual why my team s___ks Packer article is at it in force today. Getting to be a cliché there bud.

18. With all of the packer commentators on this story, it looks like the gang green and yellow fans to the east are very worried. We love the hate, keep it coming.

19. wafflestomp says:
    August 17, 2018 at 3:51 pm
    Who’s green and yellow?

////////////////////////

Sorry, meant to say the mint and lemon fans to the east. Triggered by colors, good to know.

20. tokyosandblaster says:
    August 17, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Is this the same guy that wasn’t as good as Aaron Jones through their first four games?

Oh. Yes. Yes it is.
    ________

I detect a hint of bias in that statement. Let’s examine the stats, shall we? Because I know you’re all about the “facts.”

Jones – 346 yards on 62 carries (5.6 ypc), 5 receptions for 17 yards (3.4 ypr), 3 TDs.
    Cook – 354 yards on 74 carries (4.8 ypc), 11 receptions for 90 yards (8.2 ypr), 2 TDs.

You seem to be focusing on the yards per carry stat, which is quite impressive, but we’re talking about a small sample size. Cook had more yards rushing and receiving, which some might interpret as indicating that Cook had a better first four games, especially since he missed almost half of the fourth game with a torn ACL.

I remember last year you were touting Ty Montgomery’s yards per carry on a mere 77 carries from the previous year to indicate that he would be the next great running back. How did that work out?

21. wafflestomp says:
    August 17, 2018 at 3:51 pm
    Who’s green and yellow?
    ———————————

It’s shameful that the Waupun Prison allows Steven Avery access to a smartphone and WiFi.

22. jbvikes says:
    August 17, 2018 at 5:08 pm
    Could be the best RB in the league this year if he stays healthy so do NOT play in the pre-season!!
    ________________________

Well, with ironclad reasoning like that, theoretically, anybody could be the best RB in the league.

And no, I’m not claiming anyone on GB will lead the league in rushing.
    RB by committee won’t get you there and there probably wouldn’t be enough carries anyway.

flviking, I’m never triggered by colors.
    I typed that with a smile on my face.
    Try reading it that way.

23. jbvikes says:
    August 17, 2018 at 5:08 pm
    ________________________

And no, I’m not claiming anyone on GB will lead the league in rushing.

flviking, I’m never triggered by colors.
    I typed that with a smile on my face.
    Try reading it that way.
    ___________________

On a side note, I think a few of you should try googling the color gold.
    I think you may be surprised.

24. Hey guys… my time is up.
    I have to come clean. Lost a bet with my packers fan wife.
    I am cheeseisfattening, filthymcnasty, ariani, wiscowomenrplump, Wisconsin’s favorite son Jeffrey b dahmed, numba1wiscosportsfan, a realistic packer fan, and several others.
    Sorry that I’ve been such a jerk.

25. erikthepurple, Robert Smith was a great back who was just as dangerous catching the ball, as he was carrying it.
    I believe he had 4 or 5 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, with his last being his most productive.
    Talk about going out on top.
    I always had a ton of respect for him.

But, Smith’s career and ability has absolutely no bearing on Dalvin’s.
    With that being said, I have no ill will towards the kid and I hope he bounces back from his injury.

26. Cook said he had to “make those cuts more precise” against an opposing defense than he does when facing his own teammates
    +++++

Calling out his own defense? I guess Cook is feeling comfortable.

27. 25screennames says:
    August 17, 2018 at 6:03 pm
    Hey guys… my time is up.
    I have to come clean. Lost a bet with my packers fan wife.

I guess congrats on the trophy wife. Lombardi’s aren’t the only trophies that we have more of in WI.

28. h0metownzero says:
    August 17, 2018 at 7:45 pm
    25screennames says:
    August 17, 2018 at 6:03 pm
    Hey guys… my time is up.
    I have to come clean. Lost a bet with my packers fan wife.

//////////////////////////

You’re having a conversation with yourself?😂

29. I heard the training camp participants are calling him the Treadwell of running backs.

What does that mean?

30. If hes 100% let him play a series, maybe 2 when was the last time he played October or so?

He isnt Ladanian Tomlinson so dont treat him like it yet.