Nick Foles: Shoulder “feels pretty good”

AP

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles exited his team’s Week Two preseason game after taking a hit from Patriots defensive end Adrian Clayborn, one that prompted Foles to grab his arm faster than Rodney Dangerfield. So now the question becomes whether and to what extent Foles has an injury that could keep him from playing in two weeks and six days against the Falcons, if starter Carson Wentz isn’t ready to return from his torn ACL.

“I was getting ready to throw a deep ball and it got grabbed as I was following on through, so it sort of got a little strained,” Foles told reporters after the game. “So, you know, I was with the trainers, I’ll go in tomorrow and get treatment on it and sort of go from there. But it feels all right, feels pretty good. Hopefully there’s no issues.”

Foles said the injury is only in the shoulder.

“[J]ust sort of got jarred in a funny way as I was following through but you know it feels good and we’ll check it out tomorrow more thoroughly,” Foles said, adding that it’s “fair to say” he was in “some pain” after taking the hit.

“[W]hen you’re following on through on a deep ball and somebody grabs your arm when you’re going, it’s not the best feeling,” Foles said. “But I feel optimistic about it and I’m excited to get into treatment tomorrow and just get this thing moving forward.”

Foles tiptoed around whether he’ll have an MRI, and wouldn’t address whether he’ll be ready for Week One.

“I’m not even going to go there,” Foles said. “We’re just going to live in the moment and just sort of go day-to-day so I’m going to do everything I can to get back on the field and hopefully practice the first day we get back practicing, be ready to roll.”

His goal, indeed, is to play in the next preseason game.

“I mean, I’d be back on the playing field with the guys so that’s my goal, that’s what I feel like’s going to happen,” Foles said. “But once again, you sort of have to go through the proper channels and proper protocols with all this so I’ll find out more information tomorrow and then go from there.”

Much of what goes from there depends on how Foles feels when he rolls out of bed on Friday morning. He’ll know at that point whether there’s a problem that can or can’t be managed between now and September 6, when there’s a chance that the Eagles may have to trot out Nate Sudfeld on the night they celebrate the city’s first Lombardi Trophy.

51 responses to “Nick Foles: Shoulder “feels pretty good”

1. I’m just checking in in to see how Lane Johnson fared and if he kept his mouth shut or if he’s still talking about how much the Patriots & their fans hate him

2. I’m still laughing at the Patriots fans in the other Foles’ injury article who seem ecstatic that they got their revenge against the team they lost to in the Super Bowl in a meaningless preseason game. Eagles fans, while I of course don’t like your team since I’m a Giants fan, get ready for the coming years of insults hurled your team’s way by the crybaby Patriots fans. No fanbase is more pathetic in all of sports, and they’ll never let this past Super Bowl go. I mean, they still show their maturity when they comment on any and every Eli Manning and Giants article, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with their team.

3. gmen05 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:21 am

I’m still laughing at the Patriots fans
    ———————————————–

Laugh all you want 🙂

Go Pats

4. I wouldn’t be worried if I was an Eagles fan. This injury and Wentz not being 100% at the beginning of the season might cost the Eagles a couple of losses early in the Season, but they can gain that ground and still make the playoffs.

5. gmen05 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:21 am
    ———————————-

Says the troll who can’t appreciate the irony of sowing his immaturity on an article regarding a preseason game that did not involve his team. I for one tip my cap to the Eagles & Giants on their SB victories. Sometimes the other guy gets more right and wins, we call that football. Good luck to your team on cleaning up their mistakes and becoming relevant again this season.

6. gmen05 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:21 am

—————————————

No one is saying the Pats got revenge over a preseason game. What the Pats fans are laughing at is that the Eagles fans were acting like their team is going to be the next dynasty, and their starters could not hang with NE’s starters last night. I realize Philly was missing a number of players, but NE was without Gronk, Michel and Flowers, among others. Foles turned into a pumpkin yesterday, and the Eagles are going to have a hard time winning their division since Foles sucks and Wentz won’t be the same for a while.

7. Did I miss something, or was last night’s game preseason that doesn’t count against your regular season record?

8. eaglesfanalways says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:11 am

—————————

It doesn’t, but your starters looked horrible.

10. “Nick just face it you quit last night !”

“And this is how disappointing seasons begin. Enjoy last year, Eagles fans.”

Good grief. Preseason prognostication? It’s preseason football for cripes sake. It means less than nothing as a regular season indicator. They are glorified scrimmages with no other point that to warm up your starters a bit and evaluate the rest of your players. You guys do know that, right?

Case in point (among many):

Browns 2017 preseason: 4-0

(At least they had that going for them, which was nice.)

11. I wouldn’t know. The NFLN put those Patriot homers on and they bellyached about the helmet rule the WHOLE game. I didn’t even know he was banged up.

12. gmen05 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:21 am

21 30 Rate This

Says the Giants fan commenting on a Pats/Eagles game.

13. Sudfeld looked good, especially throwing outside the pocket and under duress. The eagles probably have the best 1-2-3 QB depth chart in the league. Let Foles and Wentz heal/rehab while Sudfeld develops the last two preseason games

14. pauldeba says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:30 am
    I repeat “No Repeat”. They will get blown out in the regular season opener on their way to an 8-8 season

————————-

They don’t seem to get the RPO gimmick is just that; a gimmick. It will have as short a shelf life as Kaepernick with his, Mike Vick with his penchant for running, and Tim Tebow’s reliance on the Wildcat.

Instead of being happy there wasn’t much to study on Foles late in the year and Philly getting lucky with Goodell wantint to cheat for them so badly, all but announcing he woudl fix the SB before the SB was played, they run around pretending they’ve formed a dynasty and will be unstoppable.

lmao

15. endtimesparty says:
    August 17, 2018 at 8:50 am
    Laugh all you want. If winning 5 Super Bowls doesn’t command respect, your team will likely never find any.

—————————————

How can a team demand any kind of respect when they cheat so often and get caught….?

16. Wish he’d torn his shoulder up in feb. if it had to happen! But cant take anything away from a team that loses its starting qb and wins the bowl – that’s how the great one made his bones too. Nicks tough, he’ll be ok.

17. “It doesn’t, but your starters looked horrible“

Half of them sat entirely while the Pats treated it like a playoff game for the first half . I hope you got NFL Game pass so you can watch that preseason blowout over and over again

18. Yeah, Foles wasn’t having a good night before the injury, but that happens, especially in preseason. The upside for anyone who cares about football and isn’t just a pathetic homer is that it sounds like he’ll be fine very shortly. Also, it gave Sudfeld more reps and he looked pretty good.

It’s only a few nuts that made out last night’s matchup more than it was; a preseason game. It was a good chance to see a mix of first teamers, other returning guys and guys trying to make the roster. From that standpoint, it was an interesting game to watch.

19. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 10:02 am
    Pats fans excuse when Foles ripped them in the super bowl was that he wasn’t a back up. Today he sucks. Which is it?
    ———
    Both? I mean he was previously a handsomely paid starter before he became the back up to Wentz. Wentz gets hurt, Foles is no longer a backup. Pretty simple. He then went on a great run of strong play just like we’ve seen in the past with flacco or Eli, etc…. despite being semi average overall.

His QB play is likely somewhere between his SB play and Rams QB play.

20. why wasn’t NE more deferential to the Eagles?
    they shouldn’t have played so hard.
    Silly NE, why did they run actual plays?
    That must mean they’re sad.
    Don’t they know that you shouldn’t try in these games?
    and if you do, you’re a dingleberry?

poor Philly… NE is just so mean!

21. unclebluck says:
    August 17, 2018 at 10:05 am

————————————–

Time to stop crying and put on the big boy pants.

22. Nice job Patriot fans. Gloating a week 2 preseason win against the team that beat you in last years Super Bowl.
    Secondly, i wonder if the Patriots would’ve made the superbowl last year if they lost thier starter, Tom Brady, in week 13, like the Eagles did.
    Never mind that the Eagles won the superbowl with their back up QB, Who,by the way, can also catch a football.

23. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 10:02 am

He’s wasn’t a backup last night. And last night he sucked. And I haven’t heard any Patriots fans make those excuses, and I’m pretty sure you haven’t either.

24. bcgreg says:
    August 17, 2018 at 7:35 am
    I at least hope Lane Johnson had fun last night.

——————
    Did he play? I wasn’t really watching for him but now that you mention it I don’t recall his name getting called either.

25. Not gloating because it’s extremely unfortunate . But isiah Wynn , your first round pick is out for the year . That’s the cost of playing your starters way too long and treating preseason like the playoffs

26. jstew0103 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:23 am
    —————+
    Yeah, props to Sudfeld for that performance. There were some perfectly thrown balls last night, some of them were downright uncoverable because he placed them so well. If he can show consistency at that level of play he will pass Foles on the depth chart. And agreed the Eagles if they dont have the best 123 in football are still among the top few.

27. Coffeehog says:
    August 17, 2018 at 11:19 am
    jstew0103 says:
    August 17, 2018 at 9:23 am
    —————+

————

So the Eagles have the three best QBs in the NFC East then…… Interesting

28. hammmerr says:
    August 17, 2018 at 11:03 am

——————
    I just read up the feed and cannot see a single comment attributable to a Pats fan that gloats over a freaking preseason win.

Its incorrect to assume all trolling cones from Payriots fans. Several teams do have a history of contentious grudges with the Eagles while the Patriots have simply split Superbowls with them. So its a safe bet most trolling of the Eagles comes from those other fans.

Unless you have something from TLP6. He is only one guy out of our millions but we do still have to take the blame for him. (Hes all ours and you cant have him)

And we do have about 30% bandwagon contingent that gets more vocal than the core fans (to be fair the eagles probably just shot up to 20% thenselves) but dont worry we know those same folks will be the ones trolling us some day so whatever. Yours will troll you someday too. Thats the nature of bandwagons.

29. Loving how the Patriot’s fans are trying to troll Lane Johnson. Hope he doesn’t read these mean comments, it might be”deflating” and worse might be “recorded” without him knowing it. Your team is a bunch of cheaters and there should be an asterisk next to your trophies, better yet be stripped of them.
    —————

30. Nothing like home cooking from the refs right? Too bad no one can put an asterisk next that pathetic fan base. You lost SB 39 Fair & Square, quit crying & act like an adult for the first time. Go fly some planes over Jerrah’s house
    ————————————————————————————–
    LOL at fair and square. Check the tape. By that I mean Belichecks spy tape.

31. “I’m still laughing at the Patriots fans in the other Foles’ injury article who seem ecstatic that they got their revenge against the team they lost to in the Super Bowl in a meaningless preseason game. Eagles fans, while I of course don’t like your team since I’m a Giants fan, get ready for the coming years of insults hurled your team’s way by the crybaby Patriots fans. No fanbase is more pathetic in all of sports, and they’ll never let this past Super Bowl go. I mean, they still show their maturity when they comment on any and every Eli Manning and Giants article, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with their team.”

Most of the people you see comment are patriots fans since 2001. My family was season ticket holders until 2002, because they priced us out. We could easily afford the season tickets but it gets a little much when people start whining about the punt game and have no idea who Steve Grogan or any of the old timers were. My pops was at the first Boston Patriots game, and we got to watch 5 Super Bowls together, 2 were just as fun in the loses. After he passed I got to watch 3 with my kids, anyone who doesn’t realize the true rarity especially after freezing their asses off on the old benches of the fox as we got whooped by everyone is not a true fan, IE everyone that posts on the internet.

32. 99% of comments are by Eagle haters. Us Eagle fans don’t care bout your stupid hate. We love it and encourage you to continue to do so. I just know I’ll never come to a point where I read articles about another team’s backup QB and get incredibly excited over a pre-season game where the coach played his HOF QB/starters for a full half while we were missing Wentz, Peters, Sproles, Alshon, Agholor, etc. I pity you haters.