Another broadcaster loses a job over Colts announcer’s N-word

Getty Images

Longtime Colts radio broadcaster Bob Lamey abruptly resigned this week after using the N-word at work, and now a second sports broadcaster has lost a job in Indianapolis in connection with the same story.

When Lamey used the N-word, he was repeating something he said someone else had told him in the 1980s. Now it turns out that “someone else” was an auto racing analyst named Derek Daly, and WISH-TV in Indianapolis has announced that Daly will no longer work for the station.

The story Lamey told co-workers last week referred to someone using the N-word at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Lamey told the story, N-word and all, and at least one co-worker was offended enough to report it to management. That led to Lamey’s departure.

Daly reportedly acknowledged this week that he was the person Lamey was referring to who used the N-word in the 1980s. Because of that, “WISH-TV is severing all ties with Derek Daly effective immediately,” the station said.

The Colts initially praised Lamey for his many years of service to the team and said that he had decided to retire. Only when news broke that Lamey had used the N-word at work did the team acknowledge that the “retirement” was actually a resignation.

114 responses to “Another broadcaster loses a job over Colts announcer’s N-word

1. Colts are a mess,starting with their owner. Tony Dungy was the only class act that organization had.

2. so he’s fired because of something he said in the 80’s with his buddies?

Not yesterday… not last year… not 10 years ago… 30+ years ago and they are firing the guy? Terrible language, yes. But this wasn’t something he said on the air. this is getting out of hand, especially when the ‘offended’ party probably wasn’t even alive when the original comment was made!

3. lolololololol In the 1980’s? I honestly hope a comet strikes the earth, its time. Tiis is the big one Elizabeth!

4. yetipro says:
    August 23, 2018 at 3:57 pm
    We are all also losing our jobs for having read this story.

——————-
    I like to think you are joking but I’m a little worried here.

5. The 80s?! Is there absolutely NO statute of limitations for stuff like this? But even beyond that, did they actually ask him if he was the source and he admitted it? Because if they DIDN’T ask him directly it’d mean they fired him based 100% on somebody’s recollection of who told him a story 30+ years ago.

6. This has gotten utterly ridiculous. I think one of my great uncles may have used the word back in 1930 or something. I guess he will be dug up and moved out of Arlington if anyone finds out.

Good grief.

7. I’ve been subjected to the N-word all my life. I have run billion dollar companies and still hear people use that word in my direction. Our president uses that word. But the Colts are a mess? How about society is a mess?

8. I didn’t say it but I was thinking it. Can I at least get a couple of days off for that?

9. minnesotablizzard says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I hate 2018 outrage culture. And the spineless corporate entities that bend to the loud minority of people that are recreationally outraged. What a joke.

Well said. “Recreationally outraged” describes it perfectly.

10. The SJW stuff is getting out of hand. Sure the word is bad and ought not be used but context matters. Intent matters. It is just a word. The measure behind its offensiveness should not be the spelling or the race of the individual who said it. (If that is your measuring stick, congrats, you are the racist) The measure should be the intent and context. If it is meant to demean then that should be more offensive than if you made a list of words that should be avoided and included that word on the list. People have a mob mentality now. The SJWs think the companies that react this way are noble. News flash: they aren’t. The reality is more likely that the company does not care at all that some person used the word 30+ years ago. They simply would rather not deal with the rabid stupidity of the SJWs on the war path. The people that rationally look at the situation and conclude that firing is unwarranted and/or moronic are far less likely to make a stink (and injure profits) as the crazy crowd always in search of victimhood and relative injustice.

11. So let me get this straight, a guy was talking to his black coworker about a news story that happened 30 years ago and what happened. Guy gets canned because he repeats what they guy said on the news. They guy who originally said it, gets fired from his 35 year old quote. Interesting, I guess we just need to pretend things didn’t happen. Let’s burn Huck Finn and tear down those monuments.

12. So the price for one person’s momentary hurt feelings is now two people’s livelihoods being destroyed.

I hope the person who complained has some perspective on that. Though I’m guessing the perspective amounts to little more than, “those types of people have it coming”.

Which, of course, is the exact type of thinking this politically-correct nonsense is supposedly trying to stamp out. But I doubt they’ll realize the hypocrisy.

13. 30 years ago I ran a red light, should i’d be worried I may get a ticket for that now? I mean this is getting ridiculous and I’m a minority.

14. Lamey lost his job for something he recently said. Doesn’t matter if it was a recounting of what someone else said to him in the 80s. He had the right to say it, and his employer had the right to terminate its relationship with him.

I’m not a huge fan of outrage culture either, but this is where we are, and common sense (such as not repeating things word-for-word when certain words are involved) goes a long way in keeping you out of hot water.

As for Daly, he can thank his old friend for putting him in the crosshairs.

15. Using that word is not right by any stretch of the imagination, and it should not be tolerated. So if they first guy dropped a “casual n-bomb” just recently, I say good riddance (no matter hold old he might be).

16. I would say they might lose audience with him as a broadcaster but something tells me auto racing in Indiana wouldn’t suffer a huge audience loss. I do know how the comments sections will react to articles like these every time though.

17. Fired for something that happened 30+ years ago? I wonder how many broadcasters, sports writers and journalists who have been working since that time have NEVER said anything racially offensive, even in private?

Of course, if these guys had been singing along to their favorite rap artist, the use of the n-word wouldn’t have been given a second thought.

18. thefappingbearcutler says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:18 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When ISIS took over territory in Iraq, Syria, etc. they destroyed ancient monuments, historical sites and other such things. People were horrified and called them monsters for doing so (along with the beheadings). Somehow the same people are out there destroying monuments and trying to eradicate history. Collectively, people are kind of dumb.

19. When did people become so wussified?

The moment the Emancipation Proclamation was signed, I think.

20. i don’t understand how anybody can think this is a good thing. It’s pretty scary. The same people who claim to be in favor of free speech are first in line to demand somebody be fired for saying something they don’t like.

If you’re a white guy, i guess you just have to hope no tape comes out of you singing along to an NWA song when you were 15 or your life is done now.

Quentin Tarentino may be executed one day.

21. As for the other guy who originally used the word 30+ years ago… well, that’s what happens when you try to apply today’s moral standards to decades past. Again, it doesn’t make what he said okay, but you have to view it by the moral standards of the time.

News flash: the word was considered extremely offensive and taboo in 1988.

22. I, and millions others are offended that people kneel for the National Anthem. I mean we have been brought up with national pride since birth. Our fore fathers struggled and rebelled to allow us to have the life we have. Yes they made mistakes and yes bad things were perpetuated that few agree with. You dont just scrap it or disrespect the core. You improve and we have. But the offended are the bad guys when the majority is Male and caucasian. Wash, the N word. If no one got offended at the dumb word, it would not have so much power. Screw that word and all other derogatory words. That’s all it is it does not define the person saying it. It is a momentary lack of judgement. Not a killing and it physically and mentally harms no one. Stop giving it power. I dont see race cause I dont give a crap about race. I have hit my head and smashed my finger and called the inanimate object the n word. It means crap to me. Stop being stupid. Offend the conservatives and it’s just fine. Just dumb.

23. For something he SAID (not DID) 30 years ago. We live in IDIOCRACY. Thanks, libtards.

Jay Z used to sell drugs and commit crimes 30 years ago and yet he would hang out with Obama at the White House.

24. goatbubba: you really need help with abstract concepts, history and understanding that posting comments while drunk or high is not a good idea…unless the goal is looking like a total dummy.

25. gauchosporlife says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:16 pm
    …..and the Trump crowd goes wild in protest.

—–

apparently David Pecker, the CEO of the media company that Trump’s lawyer admitted to working with to pay off women, was given immunity.

I wonder if we’ll see this headline:

Pecker Gets Trump in Trouble

26. I’m 46 I said nothing but stupid stuff when I was alive in the 80’s. I should probably just go ahead and resign?

27. My favorite comments on these stories are the ones that act surprised that the N-word is offensive to someone (though in Indiana this is news to a lot of people).

The words been offensive for what? A few hundred years and the best argument you can get is that “Black people (which I believe refers to the small percentage that listen to Gangsta Rap and not the large percentage that protested those rappers for using it) use it.” Highest selling rap album of all time sold 10 million copies. There’s 50 million black people in America and some of that 10 million are suburban Caucasians.

Stereotyping is always 100% true as long as you don’t let facts get in the way.

28. People can change for the better in 30 years. It would be better to judge what kind of person he is now. Maybe they did, and he is still a racist. Who knows.

29. It’s funny all the honkeys on here deciding what’s racist and what brothers should be offended by

30. TruFBFan says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:08 pm

This is truly awful, and we should all work to have the word stricken from our language. However, it’s difficult when the word his so prominent in pop culture. My white suburban teenagers would never utter the word, and would be offended if someone else did. But, they hear it constantly on the basketball court, and in popular music. If it was removed from those areas, they most likely wouldn’t even know the word at all. I find the hipocracy difficult to justify.

31. 1976soulpatrol

Exactly, they don’t understand they’re all a bunch of bigots.

32. TruFBFan says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:08 pm

The fact that you added that the president uses that word kinda gives me an idea where you are coming from unless of course you have a tape.
    You run billion dollar companies? Good for you, sound like a great guy. Society is a mess because of all the thin-skinned people. I’m sure you never uttered anything that would be offensive

33. 1976SoulPatrol says:

August 23, 2018 at 4:44 pm

_____________________

This may be the post of the day. Subtle and fun. Thank you for this!

34. How to get a promotion at work … get someone to say the N word and if you can’t just accused them of saying it.

35. You don’t have to worry about losing your job for historical thoughtcrimes if there are no jobs. #SocialistLogic

36. 1976SoulPatrol says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:44 pm

=================

It’s not about what people “should be offended by” – it’s whether people should instantly lose their livelihoods for one use of an offensive word that isn’t even directed at someone.

No one should be too quick to support that, because tomorrow it may be a different offense, and you suffering for it.

37. wabbitslayer says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Good grief.
    —————————————
    If he was former military, be careful they don’t learn his name or they’ll revoke his Honorable Discharge, sentence him to a few years in Leavenworth and then move him out of Arlington.

On a more serious note, this is beyond stupid.

38. 345snarkavenue says: August 23, 2018 at 4:36 pm
    gauchosporlife says: August 23, 2018 at 4:16 pm
    …..and the Trump crowd goes wild in protest.
    —–
    I wonder if we’ll see this headline:
    Pecker Gets Trump in Trouble

Pecker has gotten nearly all of us in trouble at one point or another.

39. Good to know that you can get fired for a single word you said 40 years ago. Even if it is a bad word 40 years is a long time and a lot of changing that can happen to a person to have it held against you for that long.

40. minnesotablizzard says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:03 pm

—————

The sad thing is, most of the people ‘offended’ aren’t customers of the corporation that then bends over backwards for.

So in essence, they screw their normal customers to pander their virtue to non-customers. It really is insane.

41. 1976soulpatrol
    ————————–
    Yeah, everybody knows only minorities get to decide that and be offended.
    An entire group of people unable to comprehend the Sticks N Stones concept.

42. It funny Kap kneels and he should never get a job again because he is considered being disrespectful to our flag but a guy says the N word and you guys have so many excuses as to why he shouldn’t be fired. Rap songs use the N word with an A not ER there is a difference.

43. Whom ever fired those two needs to sit in the Colts locker room. Probly have to cut 60-70% of the team. You know, if the standard is the same for everyone in the organization. Would they have cut Luck if it came out that he said it in high school? Hell no. I’ll add this. My wife is black, I’m white. She doesn’t use the “N” word, & I obviously don’t either. However she wouldn’t divorce me over it. But I’d get that look we’ve all gotten from our wives before lol.

44. I wish I could tell on people for every little thing that offends me in everyday life…. oh wait I’m not 5 years old anymore. And I’m not offended by words. I guess sticks and stones aren’t the only thing that bunches up these guys panties.

45. dlw74 says:
    August 23, 2018 at 5:37 pm
    =================================================================================

Things have changed a lot in 35 years. Were you even alive then?

46. I don’t use that word at all in conversation, but if you are fired for quoting it all my favorite teachers would have been fired. I think it might be different if you are trying to offend someone on purpose but telling a story needs context.

47. dlw74 says:
    August 23, 2018 at 5:37 pm

—————-
    35 years ago vs the last couple is a pretty big difference to be ignoring. If someone was saying it at the same time as Kaep was kneeling I would be standing right by you to have the guy held accountable. But 35 years ago? Be serious.

And lets not even kid ourselves with that nonsense about A vs ER. If I said it with an A insted of and ER, and in any context whatsoever, you would not be saying thats ok.

48. I’d like to see every last member of the media go over their careers, however long, and honestly say they’ve never said even in private or jokingly, something that was inflammatory or derogatory. How many of you would there be left? Ask yourselves that question as that’s what’s its gotten to.

49. voiceofrealism says:
    August 23, 2018 at 5:29 pm
    1976soulpatrol
    ————————–
    Yeah, everybody knows only minorities get to decide that and be offended.
    An entire group of people unable to comprehend the Sticks N Stones concept.

————————
    Went right over your head man. That guy was making what was probably the funniest comment in this thread. The one about us all now getting fired for reading the article was good to. This whole thing is annoying sure, but if we all lose our own heads we are no better than the SJW that lost theirs.

50. Wow one word we don’t want you to say and y’all complain why do white people want to say a word you that you know it offends us and we don’t like when y’all say

51. dude just flat out admits using that word all the time and gets equal up votes. insane. this is insane. what a horrible world.

52. The ironic part is that I can pull up to a traffic light and hear that word being blasted out at 130 db anywhere in this country. Mostly in vehicles being driven by black people. Last night at Mickey D’s I parked and there was a Caddy with the windows down, the driver inside, the car running and the 1,000 watt sound system sharing that garbage with half the city.

53. Wow one word we don’t want you to say and y’all complain why do white people want to say a word you that you know it offends us and we don’t like when y’all say
    ——————————————

How about nobody say it. It’s ignorant and so is any variation of it.

54. You know the answer to all of this would be to put black people in all positions because they can use the N word all day long with out consequence. Problem solved.

55. So let this be a lesson. Context means nothing. Even if you’ve lived a life free of racism and have fought for equal rights for all, if you utter the word and you’re not African American….you must be destroyed. Even if you’re repeating what someone else said as a story making sure not to direct the word in anger or bigotry ……you will be destroyed. Even 30 years later.

56. Be forwarned. ….you cannot recite a comedy monologue from Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle or Kevin Hart.
    If you do even in adoration of their work…..you will be destroyed.

57. Amazing, how the powers to be can say and or do as they please. However, anyone else, is to deal with it and keep his / her mouth closed.

58. No. Howard was fired for saying, “Look at that little monkey go” referring to Alvin Garrett. I wish all these companies/tv stations would use zero tolerance. You can’t hear this in the locker room all day and on the radio and not react with the same righteous indignation.

59. cardinealsfan20 says: August 23, 2018 at 8:41 pm
    “Even if you’ve lived a life free of racism and have fought for equal rights for all…”

We can be pretty sure that you’ve done neither of those.

We can be pretty sure that you know none of the above..

60. dlw74 says:
    August 23, 2018 at 5:37 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There is a difference? Really? So spelling and articulation count now? How about accent? If you naturally drop the r in words are you safe to use that one? Your rationale is stupid. The only real difference as I stated above is intent, not spelling. I guarantee that if the guy who got fired would have used the -a version it wouldn’t have made any difference at all.

61. Something tells me if Michael Irvin said “n-word” on the air, he wouldn’t have a job anymore either. People screaming “double-standard” are just trying to reconcile.

62. boytrin says:
    August 23, 2018 at 6:59 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Because in that case you are not offended by the word. You are offended by the ethnicity or race of the person using it which makes that thought process no less racist than the person actually using the word.

63. randomcommenter says:
    August 23, 2018 at 4:31 pm

—————-

No Vaseline and My Summer Vacation on the playlist even as we speak; expecting muh pink slip at any moment…

64. What’s sad to me is, Derek seems like a genuinely good guy. He comes over from Ireland, uses a phrase commonly used in Ireland, is immediately reprimanded, and never does it again. Yet his whole legacy, racing, broadcasting, and otherwise, could be tarnished. He didn’t even know it wasn’t a cool thing to say. It’s not like he was calling black folks out or being derogatory. As a black guy, I’m not offended AT ALL by what he said. This is getting ridiculous.

65. There is a comment on here where someone used the H word (honkey) and I am extremely offended.