Jalen Ramsey thinks Gronk is overrated

Getty Images

A recent GQ interview became a rollercoaster ride of praise and disses from Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey to pretty much every NFL quarterback. In a new ESPN The Magazine interview, Ramsey turns his attention to the man regarded as the most dominant tight end in football.

I don’t think Gronk’s good,” Rasmey tells Mina Kimes regarding Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. “Let me say — I don’t think Gronk is as great as people think he is.”

Ramsey went on to explain to Kimes that the numbers back up the assessment.

“Any time Gronk has been matched up with a corner, he’s had a very bad game,” Ramsey said, “and that corner has had a very good game.”

But that may be a function more of the position than the player, with Gronk more likely to face a corner if he’s split wide, and with Gronk simply being more effective in the slot or lined up tight to the tackle.

Really, if Ramsey’s comment were accurate on an across-the board basis, every team would put a cornerback on him, wherever he goes. Instead, teams wring their hands and gnash their teeth regarding the plan for defending Gronk, making him perhaps the most feared tight end in NFL history.

Which makes him a pretty great tight end. Possibly the greatest ever.

149 responses to “Jalen Ramsey thinks Gronk is overrated

1. Hopefully he insists that his coach puts him on covering Gronk when the two teams play early this year. Then he can tell everyone how that turns out after the game.

2. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion…..even if it’s rather foolish or downright wrong…. just go onto ANY Patriots thread & read the responses by so many of the envious & jealous non fans & you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about!!!!
    GO PATS!!!!

3. Young people say short sighted stuff all the time. I’m middle aged but I made all kinds of declarations that turned out to be false when I was 23 years old. You are technically and legally an adult but your 20’s are the infancy years of adulthood. You never really stop evolving as a person. Your not the same at 10 as you were at 5. Your not the same at 20 as you were at 10. You are not the same at 30 as you were at 20 and so on and so on. If you keep learning new things (if nothing else then you still learn by experience) you will keep changing into something better than your former self.

4. I love this guy Jalen Ramsey. He’s entertaining on and off the field. He’s just playing around. I don’t take him too seriously. Gronk is an all time great, but he probably wouldn’t be as great if he wasn’t playing with a HOF QB. You can say that about a lot of receivers through the years. No big deal here. Just entertainment. As long as Ramsey is the best DB in the NFL, I’m ok with him saying fun stuff. It’s free entertainment.

5. I miss putting bounties on players. It would be great to watch Ramsey get speared by someone so he’d shut his punk mouth. The dude is talking about a future Hall of Famer being overrated. Where was Ramsey in the AFC Championship game when Brady was carving up the Jags defense for 290 yards and 2 TDs?

6. There is always one guy who never shuts up.
    It used to be Richard Sherman. Now it’s Jalen Ramsey.

Yeah, Gronk sucks. So do Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell, Khalil Mack, and Aaron Donald.
    Everyone but me sucks. Right Jalen?

7. .
    OH where, oh where will the national media get a storyline for the week 2 matchup featuring New England at Jacksonville?

8. I wonder how much this idiot’s teammates are cringing at the thought of future interviews as the season goes on. His coach should rein him in.

9. The Jags were one of the surprise teams in the league last year but this year they’re not gonna sneak up on anyone. Marrone might want tell this buffoon to pipe down.

10. I’d like to see Gronk run over Jalen Ramsey. In the meantime, I’ll just go to Youtube and rewatch Derrick Henry running over Ramsey for a TD last season.

11. Man this guy just can’t keep his mouth shut.

You’d think he’s won multiple Super Bowls by how much he runs his mouth…

It’ll be so damn funny if the Jags come crashing back down to earth this year.

12. Ramsey went on to explain to Kimes that the numbers back up the assessment.

So where are the numbers, Ramsey? Usually when someone makes a claim that the numbers back up what they say, they can/will produce those numbers.

Hey Ramsey, the sky is orange. Just don’t look up.

13. He didn’t say much about AJ Green and that whooping he took. Gotta give him credit Green is mellow and if you pissed him off you either shut him down or went somewhere with the trash talk you shouldn’t

14. Ramsey is a total JAGoff… Just shut it already and play. You haven’t won or earned a thing. I’m no Pats fan but anyone watching Gronk play knows he is a mismatch nightmare. I respect his game..

15. GRONK is overrated….well when you cheap shot him to take him out of the game, yeah I guess you would conclude that.

But Jalen, YOU were IN the game. And the GOAT torched you. Whats YOUR excuse ?

16. gronk is good and several times in his career hes been the best tight end in the league. but when i look at the whole package at tight end hes not an all time great. so yes i agree with ramsey, if a corner covers him he looks terrible. product of patriots system

17. Lol and u wonder why football players always bring up the fact that writers n fans never played football.

If they put a corner on him all the time then the Pats would just run the ball bc the defense would be short a safety, lb, or d linemen.

So no your “proof” that Ramsey is wrong, born from a very elementary understanding of football, carries zero weight.

18. On another note I wonder where Lebron will be when 90% of the media says they love what Ramsey is saying, even tho they all attacked Lane Johnson for a MUCH mellower take.

19. Lol. I can say Gronk is not very good too. See that? I just did. And I can say there are unicorns. See? I just did. And I can say the Browns will win the SB this year too. See? I just did. I can say Bortles will be in the HOF after winning 10 SB MVPs. See? I just did.

20. I long for the days, as a fan of the 70s, when players, for the most part, let their play do the talking. Of course, those were the days when players would show up a punk like Ramsey physically, and were pretty much allowed to do so.

Ramsey, shut up and play.

21. dunstonjones14 says:
    August 30, 2018 at 10:54 am
    I am honestly going to laugh if he gets torched a lot this season.

———————–

Everyone will (except Jags fans). He has put himself in a position where he has to play lights-out, or he’ll look like a fool.

22. whodatalien says:
    August 30, 2018 at 11:07 am

————-

Ha… then who are the all time greats?

23. factschecker says:

You never really stop evolving as a person.

Some people stop evolving a lot sooner than others obviously.

24. edgerules says:
    August 30, 2018 at 11:17 am
    Ramsey, shut up and play.

—————

Jalen Ramsey is nearly as big as the 70’s line backers. Jack Lambert was only 220!

25. Ramsey’s mouth is like the energizer bunny. It just going and going and going. I’m going to laugh when QB’s he dissed score on him and I can’t wait to see Gronk run him over like a dump truck.

26. He probably also thinks that TB12 is an average QB, BB is only good because of Parcells, and that Blake Chortles will be the MVP this year.

This guy…

27. Dude is a good player but a loudmouth. It made me laugh to hear his assessment on wentz. He said wentz is good but hasn’t been in the league long enough to say he’s one of the top qb’s. Yet he says HE is the top corner in the game. I wonder if he forgot him and wentz were drafted the same year and have the same amount of years played??

28. Hey Jalen you moron…an NFL CB SHOULD have a good game covering a TE.

Otherwise they wouldn’t be a CB in the NFL.

But against safeties and LB’s…Gronk is a headache for them.

Dude can play….though I lost all respect for him after jacking that Bills player from behind like a STINKING COWARD.

29. charliecharger says:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    I don't believe the consensus agrees with you charlie.
    3 Thumbs UP / 50 Thumbs DOWN as of this post. And I'm one of the downs.

30. What is this guy even talking about if you put a cornerback on Gronkowski, Gronk will use his overwhelming size and strength advantage to out muscle/out leverage most CBs. And then after he pulls in the easy completion, good luck to any CB trying to tackle Gronk alone.

Best bet to cover Gronk is a super athletic/physical LB/Safety hybrid type and even then Gronk is going to win most of the battles, it’s just the best bet to contain him.

The truth is, if you’re a DC, just double cover him and do your best against the rest of the Patriots weapons.

31. Gronk could dominate every single game if the Patriots fully unleashed him but in the interest of keeping him fresh for playoff/super bowl runs they use him pretty carefully and limit his exposure to huge shots on post/seam routes.

But when they decide to let him loose, hes the most unstoppable force in football.

Go watch the highlights of Pats-Steelers from the 2017 regular season. Gronk put the Patriots on his back and won that game single handily.

Ramsey is a damn good corner, but I’d love to see him get crushed on a crack back block in week 2.

32. Although Sherman is one of the more outspoken players in league history, he always has a well-constructed argument. Even if you disagree with what he says, or how he says it, most people will agree that he is intelligent. Ramsey can’t carry Sherman’s brief case in this regard, so it looks like he is over-rated.

33. Anyone who keeps telling people he doesn’t care what they think of him, while making sure they know what he thinks of them, has issues.

It’s not easy to make anyone outside NE take the side of a Pat.

34. terripet says:
    August 30, 2018 at 10:42 am
    He’s right Gronkowski is a clumsy runner

No, if you’re picking on the Patriots that was “All World Russ Francis”. Sorry, Howard (Cosell).

1. Tony Gonzalez, no contest. 14 pro bowls, 111 TDs, 11 million yds (I may have exaggerated a little there) but not even worth the discussion. 2. Shannon Sharpe for his skills, his guns and his mouth. Best trash talker ever. I’d put Gronk first in two skills categories -running through tackles/ after being hit, and first in effective catch radius both high and low. Right now he’s not even in the top five in yds and it doesn’t sound like he was planning on spending the next five seasons in the NFL. The WWE? That’s another story.

35. I’m still trying to figure out whom I’m more upset with, Jalen, for his stupid comments or the media for their continuous coverage of this foolishness.

36. This reminds me of wrastling in the 80’s. He just needs a “manager” in a 3 piece suit next to him, pumping up his ego more.

I can’t wait to watch him get humbled this season. Makes for great TV.

37. dolorespringlebrule says:
    August 30, 2018 at 10:40 am
    I’m a Jags fan….

So you’re the one?

38. Are you sure this guy isn’t a wide receiver??? God he talks like one. Truly great players let their play talk for them, this guy just can’t stop talking.

39. vikesr4reel says:
    August 30, 2018 at 12:00 pm
    Ever notice how pat fans claim Brady is the goat, but never say of what!
    They must be talking about lying and cheating!
    lol
    ———-
    LOLZ, such clever comment, witty you are.

40. Diarrhea of the mouth, constipation of the brain. Sounds like he has bumped his head one time too many. Somebody will jack him up this season.

41. It is low class to tear down the names of others to build up your own. Why keep giving him a forum?

42. He’s probably the best corner in the game. I know some of the guys do this to make sure everybody knows who they are (Richard Sherman) but he needs to learn to shut his mouth.

43. Jalen is not ‘polished and well spoken’, but he KNOWS football. Gronk struggles as a wideout against a corner. But Gronk is amazing at what he does and one of the best. Jags will face them twice this season and win both. ‘Bank it!

44. Translation?

“Anytime the refs allow a team to cheat, mauling Gronk with no calls all game long on Goodell’s orders, it helps the Pats’ opponent.”

45. When you consider that Gronk is made of glass and plays about 5 games per year, he is overrated. That said, Ramsey’s new schtick is getting tired at a rapid pace.

46. One of three classless Jag punks who walked straight off the field without any handshakes after the AFC Championship game last season…’nuff said…

47. bullcharger says:
    August 30, 2018 at 11:31 am
    edgerules says:
    August 30, 2018 at 11:17 am
    Ramsey, shut up and play.

—————

————————————————————————————
    As someone who has watched football for over 55 years …I can say that I watched Jack Lambert play on many, many occasions than …….I have also seen Jalen Ramsey play….Jalen Ramsey is no Jack Lambert …..not even close……

48. Honestly, i think you are giving other nfl coaches outside of NE and a couple more places more credit than they deserve. How many times have you watched coaches trot out their teams with the same system, same game plan week to week no matter who they are playing vs the ones that say, line up a corner on gronk or make specific tweaks week to week to win a specific game.

many coaches have become to stuck in their ways, to ego maniacal or to scared to try something different to realize that winning is also a function of planning. meanwhile, limiting practice to 5 minutes per day isn’t helping.

49. Mathew Keen says:
    August 30, 2018 at 11:07 am

_____

So, in other words, Gronk is a huge mismatch for the defense and the Pats take advantage of that.

50. 2 times Super Bowl Champ
    5 times Pro Bowl
    2011 TD leader
    13 NFL records
    One of the best blocker at his position

And he did not play an entire season since 2011.

Can’t wait for week 2. Ramsey misses the tackle. Gronk scores. Gronk spikes. Gronk dances.

51. I would love to see Jalen attempt to tackle Gronk 1-on-1 in the open field. Gronk would squish the little man

52. His mouth is eventually going to catch up with him. And if I’m his teammate I’m more than irked. Shut up and let your play speak volumes. The team doesn’t need an attention hound bringing negative light to the team.

53. Does this guy ever stop talking? Personally I think Ramsey is overrated. I think Patrick Peterson and Xavier Rhodes are better…and they don’t open their mouths.

54. “5 games a year”

In your world.

In reality, Gronk has played in 87/128 (68%) of the Patriots regular season games since being drafted, or 10.8 games per year. Only playing 68% of the time since 2010, he has caught more touchdown passes than anyone else in the league.

And we haven’t even addressed his blocking. Dude may actually be underrated.

55. Another example of the media creating a monster which they love because it stirs the pot. Phony issue after phony issue.

56. The Jags get to host the Patriots at home in the second week of the season. It’s the home opener for the Jags after having lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. The fans will be in a frenzy. The Patriots will be extremely short-handed at the receiver position so extra attention can be paid to Gronkowski, even if it’s just bracketing him and allowing a corner to cover him. Not a true double team, but it definitely helps whoever is covering him. He’s also putting pressure on his team to perform in that game. This can work when you’re playing at home in a big game, but I doubt he’d be doing this if they were playing on the road, but you never know, because he’s clearly a rude and undignified individual. But again, they’re catching the Patriots at the very best time they can this season. The Patriots will quite possibly have to play their best game of the regular season in the second week, which is not normal for them, as well as being extremely short-handed in the passing game. Stats will likely not be great. They’ll probably have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to win that game. Jalen is just setting himself up for more media time afterward, regardless of who wins. But if the Jags win, he’ll likely be intolerable. He knows they have the advantages, so this isn’t really stepping too far out on a limb. He’s playing with house money. A bit recklessly I might add.

57. teeman2110 says:
    August 30, 2018 at 1:07 pm
    What has this kid done?…other than run his mouth.

———

He has watched a lot of SBs from home…..just like he will once again this coming season….

58. “When you consider that Gronk is made of glass and plays about 5 games per year, he is overrated.”

Double facepalm.

Not once has Gronk played only 5 games.

2010 – 16 games
    2011 – 16 games
    2012 – 11 games
    2013 – 7 games
    2014 – 15 games
    2015 – 15 games
    2016 – 8 games
    2017 – 14 games

That’s over 80% of the possible games he could have played in not including playoffs and Super Bowls, and his stats are better than other players who do play 16 games except in the years he played 7, 8 and 11 games.

The glass comments are clueless too. His knee got blown out because a DB put his helmet on it at full speed. Someone like you would likely never walk again if you took a hit like that.

You want to hate the Pats fine. You want to hate a given player fine. But all you had to do was click the link it he article for Gronk and see his stats, and you would have known you were making a ridiculous claim.

59. There you go thinking, Ramsey. Man, this kid Ramsey just can’t keep his mouth shut, and he gets more annoying every time he opens his trap. Gronk will likely be a first ballot HOF’er, and for good reason – he is a stud.

Ramsey gets to see Gronk in week 2 up close and personal, and I am SURE Coach Belichick will have Ramsey’s quotes plastered all over the place as bulletin board material. Watch for Gronk to steamroll this kid, along with the New England WR’s attempting to do the same. “When you lose say little, when you win say less” has always been his mantra, and it works. Ramsey could learn a lot from the Patriot way.

Great players let their playing do the talking for them, and that has been Gronk from day one. Sadly, Ramsey just doesn’t get it. I like his confidence, but when he starts bad-mouthing his fellow players, it just further shows he is an annoying diva. We will all see what he is made of when Jacksonville goes on a losing streak, and how he handles the press asking him questions about why they are losing.

60. Anyone else find it funny that all good white players are either overrated to just average and all black players are they underrated in this guys opinion.

61. Normally nothing would have me rooting for new england playing anybody ….except now. I hope gronkowski trucks this stooge

62. This guy is trying to be the next Richard Sherman, but the problem is his remarks are all about raising him up….and slandering others….and there is no logic behind them.

Richard Sherman would talk but most of what he would say made sense, and was accurate….and on top of it…Sherman is a good sport. When the Patriots defeated the Seahawks in the Superbowl….Sherman was the first to congratulate Brady….on his performance….vs. Ramsey wouldn’t even shake hands in the AFC title game.

Sherman is a smart, good player and he wasn’t dirty. Ramsey talks too much and plays dirty…. This guy has accomplished nothing but talks like he is the greatest ever and everyone else is no good. It’s great to have confidence but acting like you have been to the top of the mountain when you haven’t is just sad.

Gronk has more records, and more rings than you ever will have Jalen. Gronk is probably the best TE to ever play the game. When it comes to blocking, catching and the whole package he is probably the greatest. And this is coming from someone who can’t stand the Patriots.

63. If you can find somebody gronks size, then yeah maybe you can shut him down. The problem is there aren’t guys his size who can cover, except for guys like Ramsey and a couple others.

64. EVENT: Meeting of the Mensa Society

DATE: September 16, 2018 (immediately following the Patriots vs Jaguars)

FEATURED SPEAKER: Jalen Ramsey

TOPIC: “How To Remove Foot From Mouth”

65. “The Jags get to host the Patriots at home in the second week of the season. It’s the home opener for the Jags after having lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. The fans will be in a frenzy. ”

Like many teams, when the Pats come to town it will be this year’s “Super Bowl” for them. Even if the win they will find out like almost all the others that week 2 is a long long way from the last week of the season, the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

And like most of those teams its highly likely even if they win they won’t have much to talk about at the end of the season.

66. I was actually really surprised when they combined the words Jalen Ramsey & THINKS in the same sentence…… I mean that struck me as being quite ironic right there!!!!

67. He might be right, but it isn’t smart to poke the tiger. We will see pretty quick, because the Pats aren’t going to have a very good crop of WR’s this year. This year will reveal much. We will find out if Brady can carry a mediocre offense. It looks to me like the Pats are in teardown mode.

68. Jags have to get rid of at least 2 of their defensive lineman and possibly some defensive backs and offensive lineman after this year because of cap problems. Then they have to worry about signing Ramsey.

Made no sense at all to sign bortles. He will count against their dead cap even if he is released or traded. It would have made more sense to sign Teddy on a cheap deal or draft a rookie on a cheaper rookie contract.

Signing Ramsey long term will be problematic. He’s going to ask for Donald type money or more.

69. Even if he believes that, Ramsey should just keep it to himself. The low IQ athletes flap their gums before thinking and social media is their downfall

70. This guy is awesome. The Networks are going to invent Jalen cam for every time someone he says isn’t any good goes and toasts Ramsey for a TD.

71. Gronk is overrated … He did nothing against my Jags and Jalen Ramsey in the AFC Title Game … Then refs bailed him out with a penalty when they laid him out on a perfectly good hit. He kills teams that have weak defenses and weak secondary’s and that’s how he gets his good stats. Don’t believe so ? In Week 2 it’s Jaguars vs Patriots in Jacksonville this time, he will get shut down and Patriots will loose and so I’ll remind everyone I said so and we can see what Gronk did. Straight facts bra !!! Book it Baby !

#SaxsonvilleAllDayLong

72. yodaddycrapper says:
    August 30, 2018 at 2:23 pm

#SaxsonvilleAllDayLong
    ———————————————————

You are absolutely right Gronk did nothing that game….

Except help his team win!

How did Jalen Ramsey’s Jaguars are going to the Super Bowl prediction work out?

73. dadsource says:
    August 30, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Jags will face them twice this season and win both. ‘Bank it!

yodaddycrapper says:
    August 30, 2018 at 2:23 pm

“Bank it!” “Book it!”

Yeah, we’ll see. And the only thing “yodaddycrapper” will “loose” are his bowels.

74. Although I agree that Ramsey mouths off way more than anyone would like to see/hear, he’s getting the result he wants. People get flustered, he’s in everyone’s head, everyone is talking about him and what he has to say. There’s a reason networks are putting a microphone in his face more and more. He’s causing controversy and forcing topics to talk about. This article just came out today and is already one of the highest commented/trending articles on the website at the moment. Whether you like him or not because of what he says and how often he talks, you can’t claim he’s not a very good player. Among the best in the league at his position. There’s a lot of people that are now talking about wanting to see him take an unsportsmanlike hit just because he talks smack. Those of you saying that are pathetic. He got in your head, “straight facts”. That’s what he does. He runs his mouth to get people off their game. He is the ultimate troll and he’s getting the reactions he wants. Is he going to regret what he says if he gets burned on the field? Probably not. Because he has a very large ego and admitting being wrong is difficult to do for anyone, especially one with a big head. Fact is they ask Ramsey questions, he answers them as he wants. Honestly in his opinion. Does your opinion differ? Probably. But Ramsey doesn’t care about you. This is Ramsey’s world, you all just live in it. Get used to it.

75. cheapseater says:
    August 30, 2018 at 10:37 am
    Haha. Jalen loves to stir the pot.

————–

Judging by his comments lately, I’d say he’s moved past stirring the pot and is now smoking it instead.

76. somefans says:
    August 30, 2018 at 11:53 am
    The thin skinned pat* fans out to defend anything the team does, cheating or not. SMDH.
    ============================
    Riiiighhhhttt.

Just like 2 weeks ago it was thin skinned Giants, Steelers, Lions and Falcons fans.

SMDH indeed.

Who was on the sideline literally crying after the AFCCG again last year? That’s right … Mr Ramsey.

77. vikesr4reel says:
    August 30, 2018 at 12:00 pm
    Ever notice how pat fans claim Brady is the goat, but never say of what!
    They must be talking about lying and cheating!
    lol
    ==============================
    How about everything!

He’s within reach of owning every record. The three exceptions being most MVPs, most regular season passing yards, and most interceptions.

What’s there to really answer. Come on now.

78. joco45215 says:
    August 30, 2018 at 10:53 am
    He didn’t say much about AJ Green and that whooping he took.

jumping Jalen from behind, choking him and sucker punching him is not a ‘whooping.’

one catch. six yards. that’s a ‘whooping.’

79. tinye67 says:
    August 30, 2018 at 1:06 pm

you’re not.
    they aren’t.

80. vikesr4reel says:
    August 30, 2018 at 12:00 pm
    Ever notice how pat fans claim Brady is the goat, but never say of what!
    They must be talking about lying and cheating!

_____

Tom Brady has more SB wins than the Vikings have SB losses…….this coming from a guy who roots for both of those teams since the 70’s

81. Gronk is the master of the push off. How do you think he gets separation on seam routes all the time? Everyone knows its coming but without help over the top he pushes the defender off and uses his 6″ 7″ frame to easily haul in the pass.

82. Jags had a great season last year but no way they are getting back to AFC Championship. They might not even make the playoffs. I like the trash talk but this is very stupid of Ramsey to say lol. I have seen Gronk bully corners so many times. He is a matchup nightmare.