Jerick McKinnon on ACL rehab: I love challenges

AP

The 49ers placed running back Jerick McKinnon on injured reserve Monday after he tore his ACL in practice on Saturday.

It goes without saying that this wasn’t what the team hoped to see when they signed McKinnon as a free agent this offseason and McKinnon said he was “devastated” when he realized that he would not be OK for a Week One matchup with the Vikings. McKinnon spent the last four years with the team and feels the game “probably meant a lot to me” than other members of the team.

McKinnon’s going to be out for a lot more than a week, of course, and he also addressed the rehab process that will start after he has surgery in the near future.

“My main thing is just I’m excited for the process,” McKinnon said, via the Sacramento Bee. “It’s going to be a challenge, everything is a challenge. Everybody that knows me knows I love challenges, so I just see it as probably one of the toughest challenges I’m going to have to face, but I’m excited for it.”

The 49ers’ plans have been scrambled, but they got a head start on a new approach by signing Alfred Morris after McKinnon strained his calf in August. He’s also played for head coach Kyle Shanahan in the past and the 49ers will be hoping that Plan B turns out to be a successful one.

14 responses to “Jerick McKinnon on ACL rehab: I love challenges

1. I suppose it’s best to look on the bright side but the 49ers I am sure would love to have you challenging for the rushing title instead of attacking ACL rehab.

2. Rushing title? Let’s pump the brakes a bit. McKinnon can’t break tackles. There’s no way he’s ever going to win a rushing title.

—–

eagleswin says:
    September 4, 2018 at 6:41 am

3. @Grugenhagen
    I thin you’re the one who need to “pump the breaks there Mr correction breath.

I’m sure eagleswin was simply referring to the rushing title as a high Kevel GOAL (for any running back) not an EXPECTATION.

GEESH

4. Take the Niners and the 6 points Sunday.

Garoppolo is the only big name in this game so only 1% of the country will see it, but yeah Niners+6 is a good bet.

5. Getoffmylawn! says:
    September 4, 2018 at 10:14 am
    You have to admire his attitude here. Many would head straight for self pity. Best of luck to you on your journey to recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He got paid in the off season, and if the money is managed wisely, he is set for life. Why would he have any self pity?

6. iejdaniel says:
    September 4, 2018 at 10:24 am
    Getoffmylawn! says:
    September 4, 2018 at 10:14 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

——————————–
    Because there is more to life than money. I hope you have plenty of money if you ever suffer a horrible injury. It will make it all better, I’m sure. Don’t worry that you may never be able to do the things you trained your entire life for though. You have money! Your accident could leave you in a vegetative state but, you will be fine because of money! Brilliant!!

7. Getoffmylawn! says:
    September 4, 2018 at 11:45 am
    iejdaniel says:
    September 4, 2018 at 10:24 am
    Getoffmylawn! says:
    September 4, 2018 at 10:14 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

——————————–

//////

I think what iejdaniel was trying to convey is that if he cannot go back to playing that he is financially set. yes the level of suckability not being able to get back into the game would be epic. There is a big difference having a career ending injury and being in a brain dead state. With they way medicine is now and the knowledge of rehab, diet and exercise. Jet will be on the field next year, it’s an ACL tear, not like it’s a heart condition or neck injury. Stop forcing your beliefs on everyone. More to life than money? I guess but having money sure makes life a lil easier doesn’t it? Sounds like a lil jealousy there.

8. Niners should grab Abdullah from the Lions if cut, or trade a later round pick. He fits the mold

9. I don’t think Morris is a downgrade at all let alone plan B. Should’ve won OROY and the “great” rookie yr RG3 had (I admit great yr) was made possible by Morris. He had 2/3 VERY good yrs, then got stuck behind very good backs in Big D with Murray, McFadden and Elliot. Low mileage and tons of experience. Don’t know why he wasn’t picked up sooner…I bet he eclipses 1,000 yrds and adds 40+ catches (I hope bcuz I picked him up cheap on my Dynasty fantasy team)

10. Alfred Morris is an all round better back than McKinnon who is merely a 3rd down back as he is too small to be an every down back and the Niners gave him way too much cash.