Pat McAfee: Ryan Grigson fining me for an Instagram post led to my retirement

Getty Images

Former Colts punter Pat McAfee says former General Manager Ryan Grigson fining him for an Instagram post was the last straw that led him to retire from the NFL.

McAfee says that late in the 2016 season, Grigson hauled him into his office with a printout of an Instagram picture McAfee had posted of himself in the Colts’ facilities. McAfee sees nothing wrong with the picture, but Grigson was furious about it.

“He has the picture on a piece of paper, slams it on the desk, pushes it across the desk to me and I look at it,” McAfee said on his podcast, via the Indianapolis Star. “At this moment in my head, I’ve already said ‘[expletive] it’ to this guy. I look at the photo and look up at him. It’s like a moment of silence. . . . He pulls out my contract, opens it up, goes to a clause. ‘Since this isn’t your first offense, I can fine you a game check for this.’ You only get 17 game checks in your entire salary, so if you want to look up what that was, it was $100,000 almost. I said, ‘For what?’ He said, ‘Is that a football room?’ I said, ‘Well the title is an equipment room. There’s footballs in there I guess.’ He goes, ‘Why do you have to be such a smartass? I can fine you anything I want. This is why we’re losing.’ This is why we lost to the Steelers, he tells me.”

McAfee said he told Grigson that the Colts’ losses were Grigson’s fault for failing to build an offensive line that could protect Andrew Luck.

“He goes, ‘What did you just say to me?’ I go, ‘Oh yeah, I’m the best in the game at what I do. I wish you would do the same.’ This is a moment he did not expect. He goes, ‘You’re going to walk into my office and disrespect me?’ I go, ‘You called me in here.’ He said, ‘I’m going to fine you a whole game check.’ I said, ‘Cool bro,’ and literally walked out of his office. As I walk out, he gives me the, ‘Get out of my office.’ I go, ‘Already walking out,’” McAfee said.

With that, McAfee decided he no longer wanted to play for the Colts. Grigson was fired after that season as well.

109 responses to “Pat McAfee: Ryan Grigson fining me for an Instagram post led to my retirement

1. They need to name the Lombardi trophy after Doug pederson . He is by far the greatest coach in the history of Sports

2. The problem was and is Irsay. It was Irsay who was keeping Grigson around. It was so obvious to the players that Grigson was awful.but it was the drug addict Irsay who kept him around.

3. I own a business and more than once I has said or done something I’m not proud of. That being said I have also apologized to my employees for outbursts. You are only as good as th players around you. Yes, it’s your company’s name but you have to encourage your guys to want to do more and be the best. Otherwise why bother? Its always easy to be average at what you do.

4. .
    It’s like watching the prequel to “framegate”. Grigson is the abject moron who who created that fiasco which was nothing more than a 10 million dollar black eye for the NFL.

Don’t forget that any work stoppage in 2020 will have seeds of animosity sown by Grigson, Harbaugh and the Goodell cartel from 345 Park Avenue. Why on earth would any member of the NFLPA believe anything that comes from the league office?

PS – It was a sad, sad day in the world of sports journalism when the media allowed Goodell, Pash, Kensil, Henderson, and Vincent to continue to collect multimillion dollars a year in salaries while sullying the integrity of the game.

5. jstew0103
    Sep 5, 2018, 6:04 AM EDT
    Grigson or Matt Millen as worst GM of all time?

I would say Grigson because he had a franchise quarterback dropped in his lap and not only did he not succeed, but he almost ended Luck’s career by not putting a half decent offensive line around him. And don’t forget, this is the guy who traded a first round pick for Trent Richardson after Richardson had already been in the league for a year. It’s hard to top those moves

6. Strong opinions even though he rarely makes a good decision. Tendency to blame everybody but himself. Entitled, grouchy, and severely under-qualified. Ryan Grigson is the Donald Trump of GM’s.

7. He is totally right, the O-line was becoming worse every year but let’s not draft any lineman…. it’s probably the punter’s fault … who was the only person leading the league in anything from the Colts.

8. Grigson is proof that rich guys are as stupid as everyone else. How this imbecile got the keys to the castle I’ll never know. A monkey with a fantasy football cheat sheet and a dart board would have been a better GM

9. Wiki:

On June 13, 2018, Grigson was hired in an undisclosed advisory role for the Seattle Seahawks. His position within the front office was later identified as Senior Football Consultant

There used to be something commonly known as the Peter Principal. Basically you get promoted or given a job higher than you are capable of because of a good/great job that you are currently executing and fail miserably.

It may very well be that Grigson can be a valuable cog in the wheel of some organization. Just not
    a big cog.

Or sometimes you are just a tool no matter what you do.

10. One of the Framegate architects. This is one of the guys you deflation believers hang your hat on. Personally had I gone out on that limb I’d never try to crawl back either. OTOH clinging to that lie makes you look like people who bought the story about the moon landing being faked.

#feelingtoostupidtoadmitiboughtintoalie

11. Ryan Grigson has to be the worst GM of all time, or at least recent history. Guy got handed the most ready-made elite QB we’ve ever seen, and he sabotaged every other aspect of the team’s roster (while badly damaging his franchise piece). He always struck me as a complete prick, which is weird, given that GMs tend to be more soft-spoken, heady types. Assuming that McAfee’s account is accurate, I’m not in the least surprised that Grigson ran his team that way.

12. “Grigson or Matt Millen as worst GM of all time?”

I was always sure it was Millen. But peering outside the bubble of Lions fandom, I’m not so sure…

13. And now McAfee is out at Barstool too. He said the people there disrespected him. OMG. I think someone needs to grow a set. Geez. Grigson inherited a 2-14 Colts team that had hardly any talent once Peyton Manning was off the field. Grigson patched together a squad that went 49-32 over his five year run, and never had a losing season. Real Colts fans will soon be laying out the red carpet to get a GM like Grigson back. Last year was the Colts’ first losing season since Bill Polian was there. I know the Patriots fans in the media don’t like Grigson either because he was the Colts GM when Brady got caught cheating, so they blame him. Just like McAfee. I heard pacifiers were on sale at Walmart.

14. Seen Colts fans complain about him for years. Like Giants fans and Reese. Reese inherited a team that won a SB and basically won a 2nd one out of the blue. 2011 was not even a top 10 team in Giant’s history although history will show they were (at least in the SB era).

The Colts have nothing to show for it. Manning was the QB that led them to the SB and the other Manning refused to go to San Diego. If a 3rd Manning was in line to be the next QB, Archie would prefer he inherited Rivers’ job vs Luck’s. Probably neither. Plenty of bad GM’s, owners and HC’s floating around. Colts had the combo of all three. Like the Browns before Dorsey (although who knows with Dorsey, yet).

15. Sometimes I hear things from players and most of the time it is just sour grapes. However this sounds like a Grigson move. I believe it 100%. He always came across as having a fragile ego. I suppose it made him feel like a man to pick on the punter. What a tool.

16. Hard to believe Grigson didn’t have anything better to do than scrutinize his punter’s gram looking for ways to fine him instead of trying to put a better product on the field.

17. Love it. McAfee can drink from my canteen any day. There are few things in life that thrill me more than reminding people who think they have some kind of power or influence you that that’s all fabricated reality and only works if the subordinate person accepts it, and that phony respect can go right out the window at any time. I don’t respect people who just fall in line with what someone else told you you’re supposed to do.

18. I read that the “swinging gate” play was Grigson’s design. Kind of a microcosm of his entire tenure with the Colts

19. And there ya have it folks.

Only Jim Irsay after 4 bottles of bourbon could hire a a complete doofus like Grigson.

What a joke. A grown man thinking he can talk however the hell he wants to another grown man.

20. Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

21. Doug Miller says:
    September 5, 2018 at 5:08 am

____________________________

I am dropping $200 on Atlanta to win outright.

22. This is not to say that Grigson was a great GM, but someone needs to explain how Grigson can be so dumb as a GM, but yet be so brilliant as to help set up the scheme of Deflategate.

23. Hold on! That ‘AFC Playoff Participant’ banner would not be proudly waving if it wasn’t for Grigson’s hard work!

24. nflyoda says: “Sometimes I hear things from players and most of the time it is just sour grapes. However this sounds like a Grigson move. I believe it 100%. He always came across as having a fragile ego. I suppose it made him feel like a man to pick on the punter. What a tool.”
    ====================================

That’s because he didn’t give ALL the facts. McAfee was warned multiple times NOT to post pictures from the inside of Colts facilities. This idiot once posted a photo of a nude Andrew Luck changing in the background. Another photo had an open playbook on the table. No GM would tolerate this stupidity.

25. Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?

26. beware, Seattle, this guy is a one man wrecking ball…it’s no wonder the Browns went 0-16 last year with Grigson in the front office, and Hue coaching on the sidelines…

27. Colts fans need to give it a rest. Deflategate was a complete sham, a fraud. If you want to educate yourself, fine, do that. But don’t display your ignorance by telling the people who red the Wells report and understood it to “give it a rest”. The Colts are a fraud franchise that tried to point the finger outward when the fraudsters were in their mirror.

28. This sounds like one of those stories where the guy telling it comes up with a lot of real smart answers after he fact that he should have said, but didn’t actually do so at the time.

29. This guy keeps changing his story.

From the IndyStar: “McAfee said he nearly retired before the 2016 season but was talked into staying by then-coach Chuck Pagano and responded with his best season as a pro.”

When he retired, on his Twitter he said he retired because he just had his third knee operation in four years. The letter also said he wanted to try standup comedy.

Now, a day after leaving Barstool, he’s making waves in the media because he needs to be relevant…

30. Grigson inherited a 2-14 Colts team that had hardly any talent once Peyton Manning was off the field.
    ———-
    You mean the year the Colts lost games on purpose so they could have the #1 pick? The year they didn’t win any games until they had mathematically locked up the #1 overall pick? That year? The year Colts fans made signs that read “Suck for Luck” that year?

31. I hated Ryan Grigson as a GM and don’t feel their current GM is much better but can’t ignore that McAfee had a terrible reputation in the league for his mouth and off the field antics and Grigson was the only reason he was still in the NFL at that point to “retire” in the first place.

How soon he forgets how no one called when the Colts (Grigson) let him test free agency in 2014. No one wants a punter who sits on the sidelines and calls out his own teammates who do way more than he does during games.

On top of that in the game in question the Steelers scored on a Punt return so he had no place blaming the “offensive line” when the whole team sucked an egg including Mcafee in that game.

32. “He pulls out my contract, opens it up, goes to a clause. ‘Since this isn’t your first offense, I can fine you a game check for this.’ You only get 17 game checks in your entire salary, so if you want to look up what that was, it was $100,000 almost.”
    ==============================

WRONG. His final year with the Colts, McAfee was making $2.75m – which means each game check was $161,765. Dude is just making stuff up now.

33. McAfee…the only problem with your story is that you retired after Grigson was fired…and I believe you said it’s because your knees were “shot.” But hey, let’s not let the facts get in the way

34. factschecker says: “You mean the year the Colts lost games on purpose so they could have the #1 pick?”
    ==============================

So the GM (Polian) and head coach (Caldwell) intentionally lost games to get the #1 pick? Was getting fired at the end of the year part of the plan?

35. Takes guts to do that, but most players would never do it as losing a chance to play football and the big pay check that often comes with it would be too devastating. So they just do whatever the coaches and GMs say regardless if they are idiots.

36. Doug Miller says:
    September 5, 2018 at 5:09 am
    Doug pederson needs to have the nfl name changed to his name “DPL” doug pederosn leaugue

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Butt hurt patriot fan

37. nhpats says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?
    ***************
    We’re not cheaters! You’re the cheaters!
    ~ 5 year old

38. “Grigson lol he’s at home not makign the playoffs in Madden now.”

Sad part is that he actually just got hired in June by Seattle as a Senior Football Consultant after being fired by the Browns in January. NFL is a solid example of “it’s not what you know, buy WHO you know”.

39. 1-McAfee violated a team policy on photos inside facilities several times, once involving a playbook and another involving naked players in the background
    2-Grigson was fired on Jan 21 2017 and McAfee retired Feb 2 2017. So the whole story is a look-at-me BS fabrication.
    3-Grigson was worse than Millen because at least Millen was a really nice guy in over his head. Grigson was a jerk in over his head.

40. mcnabbster says:

–He’s retired and living comfortably at 31 years old. Sounds like a win to me.

41. nhpats says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?

I love that question. Slams the door on all of these claims.

42. You can tell Patriot fans really believe their QB cheated and lied by all the lies, deflections, half truths, blame and hate spewed against the Colts.

The Putztriots are so defensive and act like little spoiled rotten kids. Wah wah wah

And BTW I did read the Wells report and Brady is guilty and a liar. Maybe you Putzers should take off your Brady blinders.

43. crush22 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 9:25 am
    nhpats says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?
    ***************
    We’re not cheaters! You’re the cheaters!
    ~ 5 year old

No one cheated or both cheated. Opinion based on all available evidence.
    ~Adult

44. Most teams could abolish the GM position and be better for it with just the Coaches and Owners making the personnel decisions, thereby cutting out the middle man who is a glorified paper pusher anyway. If Belichick can be successful all these years wearing two hats, perhaps other teams could learn something and put a better product on the field.

45. itsalwaysabout says:
    September 5, 2018 at 9:34 am
    nhpats says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?

I love that question. Slams the door on all of these claims.

———-

Yup. It shows how stupid the entire farce is. It also shows the blatant arrogance of Goodell and Co. where they could penalize one team but not the other for the same infraction in the same game.

46. “McCafee and Grigson are both out of the NFL. Hard to see this as a “win” for McCafee.”
    _______________

It was totally a win for him. McAfee lasted 8 seasons so he had a very good career and left on his own terms without being bullied by a total moron like Grigson.

47. itsalwaysabout says:
    September 5, 2018 at 9:37 am
    crush22 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 9:25 am
    nhpats says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?
    ***************
    We’re not cheaters! You’re the cheaters!
    ~ 5 year old

No one cheated or both cheated. Opinion based on all available evidence.
    ~Adult
    _________
    And yet the Colts kept all their money and draft picks.
    Wonder why…..

48. I think the best question to ask is why hasn’t the NFL released the football inflation study to the public? If it had confirmed that the Pats cheated, you know it would have been released. That’s all the proof anyone should need.

49. And after his legendary tenure with the Colts, the Seattle Seahawks rushed out to hire Grigson asap. They weren’t done shopping just yet, and added Jeff Fisher’s legendary offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer.

The Seahawks are a tire fire. 4-12

50. The best McAfee story was when he got cited for swimming in an aqueduct in Indy.

“After stumbling upon a shirtless McAfee in a parking lot, the cops asked him why he was wet. “It was raining,” he replied. They asked him where his shirt was. “In the water,” he replied. They asked him how much he had to drink. “A lot ’cause I’m drunk,” he replied.”

Thats hilarious. But it also gave him a reason to fix his life and get it on track.

51. What a dumb move by the Colts, who else would have their 31yr old punter retire over a nothing post. I cant imagine how they have not won AFC south since 2014.

52. What the hell are my Seahawks doing with this guy in the building? I remember Reggie Wayne sharing his story about Grigson walking around the building basically trying to intimadate and strike fear in his players.

Pat McAfee has always been one hilarious dude. That story is gold.

53. crush22 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 10:17 am
    itsalwaysabout says:
    September 5, 2018 at 9:37 am
    crush22 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 9:25 am
    nhpats says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
    Karras71 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 8:32 am
    Patriot fans need to give it a rest.
    Stop blaming Grigson for blowing the whistle on your Golden Boy.
    Put the blame where it belongs, on the cheater himself.

—————
    So why were the Colts’ footballs under-inflated?
    ***************
    We’re not cheaters! You’re the cheaters!
    ~ 5 year old

No one cheated or both cheated. Opinion based on all available evidence.
    ~Adult
    _________
    And yet the Colts kept all their money and draft picks.
    Wonder why…..
    ————-

54. Someone needs to tell Mcafee it’s not, “he goes”…. or “I go”…. it’s “he said”…. or “I said” ……
    Geesh. I wonder what these NFL players actually do when they are at college, other than football (and I already know the answer).
    It seems to me these two guys (Grigson and McAfee) were made for each other. No wonder the Colts have been a disaster for a long time.

55. Not a fan of Grigson but punters and kickers should never be heard from…
    See McAfee, Vanderjagt and Marquette King.

56. No way in hell anyone touches Matt Millen for worst GM in the history of the league. His Lions teams were historically bad; longest losing record on the road, couldn’t win in Washington, couldn’t win in Green Bay, got massacred on Thanksgiving, first team to go 0 – 16.

Dude. Was. Awful!

57. sjsmarts1 says:
    September 5, 2018 at 7:23 am

214 1 Rate This

————

The one lone dislike was from Ryan Grigson’s home computer.

58. Broncos* can’t say the same after their back-to-back championships of the late 90’s. Wonder why….?
    ______________
    Who’s a Bronco’s fan?

59. 26predator says:
    September 5, 2018 at 11:43 am

Dude. Was. Awful!

_____

True.

But don’t forget Ryan Grigson was part of the Cleveland Browns organization in 2017 that went 0-16 as well.

Oh, and Ryan might be the only GM to run a franchise, potential hall of fame, QB into the ground for 5 years in a row.

60. mcnabbster says:
    September 5, 2018 at 6:32 am
    McCafee and Grigson are both out of the NFL.
    ————————————————

I think Grigson currently is working for the Seahawks in some capacity.

For the record, there is no shame in being a hot dog or peanuts vendor, but I believe he is actually in their front office.

61. sounds about right. grigson blamed soft footballs (which were proven to be properly inflated) in the first half for their humiliating performance in the second half of 2014 playoff loss.

62. Speaking truth to power so rarely goes well for the speaker.

But it’s a rare comfort to know that the thing that so many fans wanted to say to the boss was actually said to him by someone. Even with thousands of online comments, one never knows if a given message really gets through to the people in charge (see: Goodell, Roger).

63. ibillwt says:
    September 5, 2018 at 12:40 pm

——

Umm, No

Grigson sent an email to the league saying the Patriots were known for taking air out of their footballs. He never blamed the loss on the footballs.

You Putztriots fans just can’t get the facts correct. Keep up with the lies.

Grigson sent the memo and the ballboy is named the deflator. That’s funny.

And it’s getting old that Putztriots fans blame everything including their loss to the Eagles on a conspiracy theory.

64. thebirdofprey says:
    September 5, 2018 at 11:07 am

What the hell are my Seahawks doing with this guy in the building?

==============

Drifting further away from Super Bowl relevance by the season, apparently…

65. nflyoda says:
    September 5, 2018 at 10:29 am

—————-
    BINGO!!! This is also the total proof that the “scandal” that Mr. Grigson ignited was a total sham and a fraud.