Getty Images

A throwback pass to Nick Foles in February helped the Philadelphia Eagles win a Super Bowl. A throwback pass to Nick Foles on Thursday night helped the Eagles beat the Atlanta Falcons.

While the iconic fourth down play from Super Bowl LII was dubbed “Philly Special,” the one from Nelson Agholor to Foles for 15 yards against the Falcons bore the name of what Foles uttered back in February when suggesting the call to head coach Doug Pederson.

“Philly Philly,” Pederson said when asked the name of the play.

While the name was decidedly Philadelphia, the play itself came straight from the Eagles’ opponent in Super Bowl LII. It was a copy of the same play that the New England Patriots ran against them when a pass intended for Tom Brady caromed off his fingertips harmlessly for an incompletion.

“That’s where we got it from,” Pederson said. “We just put different people in the game. They were in (one running back, one tight end) personnel. We were in (one running back, two tight ends).”

Pederson said they were looking for a spark on offense and the location of the ball on the field and down-and-distance situation were what they wanted to have in place to be able to call it.

“Honestly we were both thinking the same thing at the same time,” Foles said when asked whether he suggested the call or it came from Pederson. “I went over to talk to him to say this might be a good time and he pointed to the call sheet and I said ‘that’s what I was coming over here for’ so, yeah, it worked again.”

And it worked despite the Eagles only running it once in practice.

“We got one good rep,” Foles said.

The play moved the Eagles to the Falcons’ 26-yard line and set up the first touchdown of the night, a 1-yard run by Jay Ajayi.

39 responses to “Eagles ran “Philly Philly” once in practice, took the play from Patriots failed Super Bowl attempt

1. Seems that magic over the Philly Special to Philly Philly works twice with Nick Foles at the helm. It had a bit won them the game opener against Atlanta.

2. The Philly Special is a thing of beauty and so was the Eagles stout D stopping the Falcons AGAIN on another goal line stand! Great win for the champs!

3. Nick foles didn’t suggest anything. Doug pederson instilled the play into the playbook he was the one who taught the team the play. Anytime I read about foles suggesting the play in the supper bowl I laugh. If I invented something and told you of my invention there is nothing special about you suggesting the play I taught you . It’s not like he came up with the play

4. It’s likely not what you meant but they didn’t get the play from the Pats …. if anything NE’s failed attempt motivated the eagles to do it to stick it to them but as you state they ran it in practice . And no it wasn’t once . The story is it failed numerous times and only worked once in practice

5. I think it’s both Doug and Nicks way of admitting that Foles is a better receiver than quarterback !

6. The gods were with them when they ran it in game one of the season. If Foles would’ve gotten hurt, oh jeebus what a calamity. Fortunately it worked but really?

7. CowboyErik says:
    September 7, 2018 at 4:08 am

omg EAGLES WIN!

————————-

Good luck to your Yankees in the playoffs, and to your Warriors in the upcoming NBA season.

8. That was an ugly game to watch but a good win the the Eagles. Those are the types of games champions win and lesser teams lose

9. Did Eagles do it legally or get gifted an illegal formation (according to Mike Pereira) like in SB?

10. 1) the most exciting thing about that game was the lightning show that caused the delay
    2) will the Eagles never stop talking about the Superb Owl win? Maybe a little more focus on 2019 would be appropriate
    3) some of the flags in that game, oh my. Maybe the chicken little’s screaming about how the new rules would ruin the game were right………..

11. Illegal Formation – on the offense = TD and NFL narrative for the ages.
    Bobbled ball = reception and NFL narrative for the ages.
    Oh, and a statue. ( insert eyeroll here)

No philly fan can ever find fault with Fraudger again. You owe him your 1 and only Lombardi

12. nfcleast
    Sep 7, 2018, 8:44 AM EDT
    Pats fans still mad. love it

Patriots fans are not as “mad” as you think. Yes there are a few people on this site that can’t let it go, tylawspick6 is a perfect example of that, but for the most part we Pats fans have come to deal with the loss. Of course we wanted to win but having watched the Patriots in past Super Bowls we knew that the game was going to be close and there was a chance the Pats wouldn’t pull out the win. I would say more disappointed than mad

13. boyso3 says:
    September 7, 2018 at 9:22 am
    nfcleast
    Sep 7, 2018, 8:44 AM EDT
    Pats fans still mad. love it

——————-
    A fan base that so routinely forgets wins and moves on to the next game will routinely forget losses and move on just as quickly. The guys dreaming of Patriot tears have the perspective of losing fans because thats been their lives. If their team loses a big game they feel like they lost their one big chance, and thats usually true. With no guarantees for the future the past is all they can think of. So they dont understand what its like rooting for a team you know will always be a top contender. It means whatever the outcome of a given game or season those fans know the excitement isn’t ending for them and with all that to look forward to they forget the past and keep looking forward.and to that end this coming year looks fun and exciting for Patriots fans so dilly dilly.

14. I have Jeffery and Wentz both on one of my FF teams. I planned for some iffy weeks at the beginning because I think these guys will be money once they get going and it was worth it to get that kind of power at a reduced price. But still I hope they dont tease me too much.

15. Pats 2nd best team in the league. You know who the best is, the first 4 letters are E A G L…. 🦅

16. nfcleast
    Sep 7, 2018, 8:44 AM EDT
    Pats fans still mad. love it

Yeah, not really. That was the weakest of the Patriot SB teams by far, so frankly no surprise that they didn’t win. That the Pats somehow got by Jax was a shocker . Defense was in tatters, no Julian…no surprise. Game ended, watched the ceremony, went to bed. Woke up and the world did not end. Why? Cuz every Pats fan has already drank from that hose 5 times in 15 years or whatever. We all knew that team was deeply flawed. It may still be to be honest.
    Let’s see if the Eagles can get back up the mountain.
    I know the Patriots can. So many times to the SB I’ve lost count. 8? 9? Winning the big one is sweet, knowing every year is going to go into late Jan as a fan is priceless. Silly to think the BB/TB train is going to win every one, perfectly happy that Football in NE doesn’t end at Christmas…every year.
    As for the Eagles talking crap or whatever, every team is different, and the Eagles swagger will continue until some team crushes them. What I saw last night, that is going to be sooner rather than later. Better pray that Defense can keep you in games.

17. Lauren Smith says:
    September 7, 2018 at 3:36 am

If you watched the mic’d Up from the Superbowl, Foles went to Doug on that play and said “Philly philly?” He absolutely called / suggested it

18. The fact that Philly put a statue in front of their stadium to immortalize a gadget play …

The fact that they wore their SB jerseys in the home opener of the NEXT season …

Tells you everything you need to know about this lame franchise.

19. If the Eagles keep it up eventually when they get cute like that there will be a DB there that will take out their QB and they’ll have two guys sitting on the sideline cheering the team on!

20. Filly special? Why in the world would you expose your QB to potential for such a modest gain with a gimmick play? In the Super Bowl for a win? Absolutely. First game of the season? Why?

Did anybody else notice during that play, the hiccup in Foles’ right knee about two steps from the sidelines? With the rash of knee injuries sustained without contact every year, I cringed when I saw it … with visions of a lost year for the player … all over an 8 yard gain with a gimmic play.

A swing pass to a RB would have provided a similar gain, without the unnecessary risk to the QB.

21. MAN I’m so sick of hearing about that play, why does the media have to run everything 10 feet into the ground?

But we have a new item to get sick of coming around the corner, it’s “RPO” how many times did Collinsworth say that last night? I guess that’s why I believe he’s one of the worst commentators ever, he just keeps repeating the same things over and over and over and…………………….