Shawn Williams: I don’t know what else they want me to do

AP

Bengals safety Shawn Williams was ejected from Sunday’s victory over the Colts after drawing an unnecessary roughness penalty for a hit on a scrambling Andrew Luck.

Luck was in the grasp of another Bengals defender and had been brought down when Williams delivered his hit. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Williams “just can’t” make a hit like that, but Williams said he was unclear about how to handle the play in any other manner.

Williams claimed he didn’t know if Luck was going to try to run him over, which is a bit hard to believe given he was on his way down before Williams began to deliver a blow, and said he doesn’t “know what else I’m supposed to do.”

“If you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to not get a flag and still do my job, then let me know,” Williams said, via Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “… All the onus is on me to understand. I don’t know if they want you to know what Andrew Luck is going to do. I don’t know what he’s going to do. If it was up to me he should slide and give himself up earlier, but he didn’t.”

Williams’ feeling wasn’t shared by officials, Lewis or Bengals defensive coordinator Teryl Austin. He said he hasn’t heard anything from the league office about a possible suspension, which may be less likely than a fine given Williams was already ejected from a game due to the hit.

35 responses to “Shawn Williams: I don’t know what else they want me to do

1. I saw worse hits on Matt Stafford last night with no flags thrown. Andrew luck was protected by the league in that game……good luck to the afc south having to play the colts and the officials too

2. “If you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to not get a flag and still do my job, then let me know,” Williams said

Can he really be that thick?

Here’s a clue, stop handing our cheap shots.

3. THE DEAL: Luck wants that first down (as did “ELITE” joe flacco when DESTROYED by Kiko Alonso)… but… if you want to capitalize on REFEREE INDUCED DEFENSIVE HESITANCY… you must pay the price every once in a while

4. Come on dude. I’m a fan of yours but when you lower your shoulder so it’s only a few feet abive the ground to deliver the hit then it’s prob a bad idea. It’s an even worse idea when you are trying to hit a QB.

5. Well get used to it because the league wants QBs to be heros. The QB is headed out of bounds better not touch him, oh wait he just faked going out and ran for 10 more yards. Thats fair.

6. I am a Bengal fan and Williams hit was definitely avoidable. No excuses there Shawn. However, the 2 or 3 other calls especially against Dunlap were complete bs and very easily could have been game changing calls. Especially the one where the the Bengals had a turnover and returned it to the 5 yard line of the Colts. Those calls and then the obvious miss calls twice where Dalton’s head was hit……one of the times being hit by two separate guys is inexcusable the way they are supposed to be watching that stuff.

7. Luck was already down dumbass, pull up, don’t hit with your helmet, don’t be stupid, do what your coaches tell you…. I could come up with some more if you need… How long have you been playing football? Dirty player

8. i am all for doing away with the the new penalties when hitting qbs (as well as the old ones where you cant get a qb from the lower legs), however williams hit was a justified flag. he had lots of time to pull up on that hit

9. No mal intent on Shawns side. Both Luck and Williams were flying 100 miles per hour. Its hard to change your target twice in seconds.
    NFLs got to figure it out

10. I mean the ejection was bs. I could see if Luck was sliding but he didn’t. What really pisses me off about this type of play is Andrew Luck was trying to fight through the tackle. Yeah he ended up going down…as he is going down Williams hit him. What if he lets up and Luck who is big and athletic or a qb breaks the tackle? Williams looks like a lazy fool and gets criticized. Its really a lose lose now for defensive players in almost every situation now. Sideline plays are the worst….you blow someone up who is slowing down towards the sideline and you get penalized. Same qb slows down….sees the defense let up and then continues to go for an extra 5 or 10 yards. You see it all the time. Whats sad, is the people expressing all of the outrage about the physicalality of football are usually the people who dont even watch. Smh.

11. Stop spearing the pile, Shawn…. You look like Mike Mitchell, don’t be ignorant . That is exactly the kind of hit they are trying to eliminate. In the photo above, Luck is clearly sitting on the ground. Much as you want to hammer him, you can’t. Vontaze, please take notes… they are waiting to make an example of you upon your return.

12. That wasn’t even a close play. Luck had already been tackled by a teammate and Williams flew in helmet first directly at Luck’s head. It’s a dumb play and would have been a penalty even before the new rules.

13. WhoDey4Life says:
    September 11, 2018 at 8:50 am
    I mean the ejection was bs. I could see if Luck was sliding but he didn’t.
    _______
    Kinda hard to slide when you’ve already been tackled and sitting on the ground.
    (see pic above)

14. oco45215 says:
    September 11, 2018 at 7:47 am

Dude, look at the pic above. Luck is clearly down, he us sitting on the turf. Williams is known to be dirty and he proved it here. Just because y’all hate the colts don’t let that blind you.

15. Erik Gainer says:
    September 11, 2018 at 8:38 am

———

You can argue all day whether Dunlap deserved a late hit when the Bengals returned the incomplete pass to the 5 yard line. It was ruled a fumble on the field but clearly it was an incomplete pass and would have been overturned.

16. There are a whole bunch of guys in the league that can say this to reporters this morning, but this guy is NOT one of them. His hit on Luck is EXACTLY the type of pointless contact the league is trying to eliminate, late and with intent to injure rather than tackle.

17. On one play… Andy Dalton was hit in the head/face by two different players.

Still… NO CALL.

As long as there is an officiating imbalance against certain players/franchises…
    … teammates will believe that the only justice is violence.

18. The refs are going to throw the flag there every time but the ejection was silly. That hit occurs in every single game. The QB was out of the pocket and running for a 1st down. Penalty? Yes ejection? No.
    Also for the people looking at the still photo and making a determination on the hit, get real people. It’s a fast game played at a fast speed. The decision and the hit were made instantaneous. He didn’t have time to look the situation over, order a pizza and then decide whether to hit him or not.

19. joco45215 says:

September 11, 2018 at 7:47 am

NOT THE OFFICIALS. THE COMPETITION COMMITTEE. Get it right

20. lukedunphysscienceproject says:

September 11, 2018 at 10:27 am

That hit has been a penalty in the NFL for at least 30 years. The current rule changes have nothing to do with why that was illegal

FINALLY – A smart one that gets it!!! Well done sir!!

21. People acting like a still photo is the same as running literally 20 MPH. All these armchair rules experts (including those who created this garbage in order to insulate the NFL from future lawsuits) make me sicker than the league itself.

22. “That hit has been a penalty in the NFL for at least 30 years”
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

30 years ago… the nfl instituted the qb slide to prevent these hits.

Still… there are qbs that don’t slide in an attempt to get extra yard/first down.

If a quarterback chooses to roll the dice… he must accept the consequences.

23. joetoronto says:
    September 11, 2018 at 7:57 am

Can he really be that thick?

Here’s a clue, stop handing our cheap shots.
    _________________________________

That was his first personal foul his entire career. It was an illegal hit, but he certainly is not a repeat offender or a cheap shot artist.

24. Doesn’t have anything to do with sliding… Yes luck was trying to get everything inch cause that’s what he does but, saying Williams couldn’t pull up is asinine. He is known as a headhunter for a reason

25. pacers1968 says:
    September 11, 2018 at 12:19 pm

_____________________

Haha….NO he isnt! First personal foul of his career!

26. He doesn’t have any argument on this one. I think most Bengals fans will agree it was the right call. The Dunlap one that got a fumble called back was atrocious however.