Browns announce they will cut Josh Gordon

Getty Images

The Josh Gordon era is over in Cleveland.

Gordon, the highly talented but highly troubled wide receiver, is done with the Browns. The team released a statement saying that he will no longer be with them going forward.

“This afternoon we informed Josh Gordon and his representatives that we are going to release him on Monday,” Browns General Manager John Dorsey said in a statement. “For the past six years, the Browns have fully supported and invested in Josh, both personally and professionally, and wanted the best for him, but unfortunately we’ve reached a point where we feel it’s best to part ways and move forward. We wish Josh well.”

The Browns did not say why they are releasing Gordon, but there will be immediate speculation that it has to do with his longstanding issues with substance abuse. Gordon has had his career nearly derailed with his addiction, and he missed training camp this year, saying he needed to focus on his mental health.

128 responses to “Browns announce they will cut Josh Gordon

1. Raiders, if you have no problem with Martavis.

Go get Flash.

We suck anyways and have no morale high ground with anything. Chucky is in way over his head. He’s still reminding me us of that Superbowl 20 years ago.

2. Oh wow color me shocked! I thought they were really high on him (no pun intended) either he got caught again and a suspension is coming down the pipe or he is just mentally unstable….. if that’s not the case I really hope this doesn’t cause the guy to spiral…. such a shame so so much talent

3. There will be a lot of comments from self-righteous people here but this is really unfortunate. Things were looking so up for him not even a week ago. Addiction is a terrible disease.

4. Well as a Browns fan, I am disappointed. But as a Browns fan, I am not surprised. 1) This regime ain’t fooling around, and 2) I think his demons may just be too great for him.

5. Long overdue, guy just couldn’t prioritize his job over getting high. While it certainly would be nice to see him become the next Cris Carter I highly doubt it will happen, hope he gets his life straightened out.

6. Headed to the three ring circus in Dallas where he can be “ mentored” by those pillars of leadership Prescott and Elliott

7. hound32 says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:34 pm
    ??? Why not try to trade him instead ?

1 0 Rate This

————-

would be unfair and unprofessional to try to trade a guy in his delicate condition

he is likely going to die soon and go off the rails

he cannot be stopped

8. He has a dirty urine or some other situation. They don’t put up with all the other stuff to all of a sudden cut him before game 2. This story is not fully explained yet

9. do you know how bad his problem must be to release him after 6 years when he finally was given the OK to play. Wow, millions of dollars thrown away to chase the dragon…

10. Wonder why? Seriously he should retire and try and live sober. Playing a game is not worth your life.

11. tdubdizzle says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:36 pm
    Raiders, if you have no problem with Martavis.

Go get Flash.

________________________________________________

Truth.

The Raiders should just be a “developmental team” for the rest of the NFL.

It’s a sad state of affairs man.

12. Holy crap. If he doesn’t get suspended I’d love for the Pats to give him a try. He should jump at low money with a chance to prove himself again with a better team and QB.

13. His problem wasn’t (just) weed. It was complete substance addiction. And it didn’t start in the NFL, he’s admitted he’s been high since college, maybe before. I wish him well, but this isn’t a “let’s see who picks him up” kinda thing, and I doubt he will be some sort of All-Pro, especially on the Patriots with Brady throwing to him. Or in Dallas with Dak throwing to him (even Dallas has given up on that guy, the fans I mean). Feel bad for the guy, but the NFL isn’t where you get over addiction.

14. hound32 says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:34 pm
    ??? Why not try to trade him instead ?
    ———————–
    Gee, you don’t think that ever crossed their minds? Either they already tried and got no interest, or there’s another major issue – probably drugs again (4 suspensions already).

15. If this was just some minor team thing that was the last straw then I would take him in Philly tomorrow. I think the leadership would be strong enough to support him.

If this is another league violation then he won’t be playing anywhere once the process plays itself out.

16. I TOLD YA.

The blind drunk non-educated football masses blamed it all on Tyrod Taylor

FACT: gordon look slow… in a lumbering sort of way

17. So what happened? Six days ago he was the best offensive player on the field for the Browns, had a hell of a game, and the team was behind him 110%. What’s happened since then? We can guess, but can’t someone break the story?

18. syzygy says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:40 pm

And then he got high
    =========

Lmao. ‘They took my whole paycheck and I know why…because I got high, because I got high, because I got highhhhh…

19. “He is going to clear waivers”
    ————–

He doesn’t go through waivers. That only applies after Week 8 for veterans with more than 4 years in league.

20. Who cares if he relapsed? So long as he didn’t fail a drug test, why does it matter? Especially now?

Unless he failed a test, he’ll be picked up quickly. There are plenty of recreational drugs that don’t show up on any drug test, as well. Doesn’t sound like there is any speculation yet that he failed a test.

21. Josh showed up late “not himself” at the training facility. I think it is safe to assume he had a relapse, therefore is unable to be traded and is facing another long suspension. The browns are not going to wait thru another long suspension and released him.

22. braddavery says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:39 pm
    ————————————

The fact you think it’s a dumb rule is beside the point. If these idiots can’t quit for 10 years and make a mountain of cash then they don’t deserve it. Retire a zillionaire at 35 and smoke truckloads of the best weed money can buy for the rest of their life would be the better choice, don’t you think?

23. braddavery says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:39 pm

20 37 Rate This

I get what you are trying to say, but it can’t be that harmless if you are so addicted you are choosing it over a sport you love, plus fame and fortune. Think about it. Anything that can cause an addiction is not harmless, by definition.

24. “Six days ago he was the best offensive player
    on the field for the Browns, had a hell of a game”
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I don’t know what game you were watching.

I saw a slow, lumbering guy who was targeted three times
    and only caught one pass.

25. He’s already made more money (5.3 mill) than most of us ever will in our lifetimes (thats 100k a year for 53 years)…lets not lose sleep. I dont want his life to go down the tubes, but if it does, whatever.

26. Greg Swaney says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:42 pm
    ________

BROWNS

27. Just because it is not “lethal”, weed nevertheless is NOT “harmless”.
    Saying it is harmless is simply wrong.

28. amurdora says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:37 pm

————————————-

It is a terrible disease but in the beginning it’s a choice.

29. It’s not you, it’s me.

You’re giving me the “it’s not you, it’s me” routine? I invented “it’s not you, it’s me!” Nobody tells me it’s them, not me! If it’s anybody, it’s me.

All right, George, it’s you.

You’re damn right it’s me.

30. He had to of failed a drug test or had a mental issue, Otherwise the Browns would have traded him in a heartbeat. Gordon has many red flags, but I’m sure some team would have doled out a 2nd round pick, But something must have happened for the Browns to just cut him.

31. People talking about just weed didn’t read his article, did they? He’s been on everything except PCP apparently. Furthermore, who says he can fit within the structure of an NFL organization anymore? That great season he had was like 6 years ago now, and he had issues as I recall when he came back from that first suspension the following year. Everyone just forgets because Manziel was there then and was such a train wreck. His career I’m afraid is over. He’ll be a Charles Rogers or Justin Blackmon cautionary tale. It had to be bad for Haslem to finally stand down and allow this because he apparently was standing in the way in the past from him being cut or traded.

32. I could be wrong but doesn’t he have enough accrued years that since he was on the 53-man roster to start the season, the contract becomes guaranteed for the year?

33. Funny how Eli Manning commits fraud and his team laughs it off. Gordon gets run out of town like nothing. African-American players are deemed criminals automatically and thrown right out of the league. It’s a real shame what the NFL has come to.

34. If he’s not suspended there is no way he clears waivers. He is grossly underpaid for his talent, so someone will take a chance. If the stories are true that he showed up drunk or high today, then it likely won’t matter. I believe he wants to be clean and he’ll take the year off to do rehab or just retire and try some other line of work without so many temptations

35. Guy’s gonna lose his career due to an addiction to a harmless plant. Nice job, NFL. #priorities
    ——————————————————-
    While I would tend to agree with you on pot, is it really harmless if it causes addiction? Is it really harmless if an addict can’t stop showing up to work high?

36. Yes every team should look at him….

Bunch of doors. Obviously failed a test or committed an infraction and is getting suspended.

Damaged goods due to an “innocent” plant.

37. footballpat says:
    September 15, 2018 at 8:22 pm
    amurdora says:
    September 15, 2018 at 7:37 pm

————————————-

It is a terrible disease but in the beginning it’s a choice.

———————

I grew up neighbor’s with a man whose mother injected him with heroin when he was 9. It took him 3 or 4 decades to finally kick that habit (and literally every other drug habit there is). While almost every addict isn’t that doomed, for many people drugs are a nearly inevitable result of experiences growing up and predispositions in their genes.

I’m an economist by training and one of the things I tell my students each year is that every human being is unique and we can all determine our own destines given the will and drive but that doesn’t mean we can’t make predictions that are quite accurate about the behavior of groups of people. For many people it’s far less of a choice than those of us who don’t suffer from that problem realize.

38. As a Patriots fan, I say no thanks on Josh Gordon. We don’t need him to win the SB and he would be more trouble than he is worth.

39. He must have started to snort Marijuana, because we all know the damage that does! I have zombies in my neighborhood right now all insane from snorting Marijuana. The studiies

40. As someone with experience in the matter, weed is not and will never be addictive. People may love weed and love to smoke all day, everyday, but it is in NO way addictive. There’s a huge difference between enjoying something and truly being addicted to something.

41. All these comments about so and so will take him, only weed, I would take him. WOW most have to pass a pee test to get a job, this guy has had how many chances? You only feel sorry for one so long.

42. “weed is not and will never be addictive…it is in NO way addictive”
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I am crazy pro-cannabis… but… weed can be addictive.

43. If this guy can’t “get the help that he needs” with access to EVERY kind of treatment, therapy, counseling, etc… that being an NFL player can provide, how is he going to get the help he needs when he DOESN’T have that access?

This is a guy that has had chance after chance after chance, and basically just spit on every chance. He will NOT ever “get it together”. No one to blame but himself.

44. doctorrustbelt says:
    September 15, 2018 at 8:43 pm
    “We should never take things for granite. I’m just saying, life’s short”
    ——————————————————-
    Was that quote from “The Flintstones”?

45. Belichick demoted a guy who had just run for 200 yards in a game because he slept through his alarm clock and was late to practice (Jonas Gray)

I doubt Josh Gordon is his type of player.

46. As someone with experience in the matter, weed is not and will never be addictive. People may love weed and love to smoke all day, everyday, but it is in NO way addictive. There’s a huge difference between enjoying something and truly being addicted to something.

————————————————————————————-

Spoken like a true pothead. I have two friends that died as a direct result of marijuana use and have two kids that started on pot and worked their way into harder drugs. So don’t even try to tell me that pot is not addictive or dangerous.

47. Belichick needs to sign Gordon. The Pats are weak at receiver and they need more speed. Make it a stipulation that Gordon has to live with a life coach for the rest of the season. All he’s known is Cleveland and their pathetic team culture of losing. If Belichick can get Gordon to follow the “Do Your Job” system and focus on continuous improvement, Gordon and his freakish ability could make him the best WR they’ve had since Moss. It’s a low risk move since the contract isn’t guaranteed.

48. jkossrt says:

September 16, 2018 at 7:53 am

————————————————————————————-

———————————————–

Sorry for the loss of your two friends. I’m curious to know how it is that they died as a direct result of marijuana use. Obviously marijuana can impair one’s judgement when operating a vehicle or something, but no one has ever died from an OD on marijuana so I think that is where people misconstrue it’s effects. I personally condone the use, but I don’t discredit anyone’s opinion on the matter.