Kirk Cousins: Clay Matthews penalty “probably a generous call”

AP

It looked like the Packers sealed a win over the Vikings on Sunday afternoon when cornerback Jaire Alexander intercepted a Kirk Cousins pass with under two minutes to play, but a penalty wiped out the turnover.

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews was penalized for roughing Cousins on what looked to the naked eye like an innocuous hit in line with how the NFL is asking defensive players to contact quarterbacks. After the game, referee Tony Corrente said that Matthews lifted Cousins and drove him into the ground by way of explaining the flag.

Matthews took issue with the call and said that the emphasis on protecting quarterbacks is “out of control” and Cousins placed himself closer to Matthews’ read on what happened in his own postgame comments.

“I haven’t seen it,” Cousins said in Peter King’s Football Morning in America. “I’m sure it was probably a generous call, and two or three years ago, it probably doesn’t get flagged. But that’s one of those plays the Packers felt made a huge difference in the game, and there are some we felt made a huge difference in the game. Both sides can point to several plays I’m sure.”

Both teams would get opportunities to win the game after Cousins led the Vikings to tie the game, but neither could push through and the game ended in a 29-29 tie.

47 responses to “Kirk Cousins: Clay Matthews penalty “probably a generous call”

1. Good man to admit it. Meanwhile Brady is calling Roger now asking why the refs didn’t let them best the Jags this time.

2. No it wasn’t Kirk. By rule it was text book leave your feet drive to the ground. They called the same penalty on the Vikings that was not even close to being the same. Funny the rule named after Rogers burns the packers by the cheap shot arrest Clay Mathews. How many times has roid rage done that or lead with his helmet (broke the bears QB’s wrist) Thanks Clay

3. It was a bad call – clean….wasn’t at the head, knees…wasn’t late, he didn’t land on him..

It was a great tackle that, in modern terms, protects the player.

Horrible horrible call.

4. Matthews took issue with the call and said that the emphasis on protecting quarterbacks is “out of control” ……
    —————-
    LOL
    Go talk with Aaron and see if you all can petition the league to change back the Aaron Rodgers rule.
    Or more likely, to have it ONLY apply to Aaron Rodgers.

5. If Matthews’ hit on Cousins was a correct call, the NFL needs to do away with the rule. It was an even worse instance of the rule and/or its interpretation than the Myles Garrett/Ben Roethlisberger call last week. It looked like a clean hit to me, it looked like Matthews was laying Cousins down on the ground as easily as he could, with no weight or force or attempt to injure. Yes, unnecessary hits whose intent is to injure has no place in the game, and quarterbacks and all other players should be protected from them, but this call was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard. Get rid of this rule ASAP.

6. What’s funny is Viking fans trying to deflect from the fact that they were supposed to win, all that trash talk leading up to the game for a tie LOL.

7. If the call was correct, then this a terrible rule. Matthews’ hit on Cousins was clean, he made no attempt to drive Cousins into the ground or injure him. Matthews practically laid Cousins onto the ground the way you lay your sleeping child into bed after they’ve fallen asleep from a car ride home at Thanksgiving. This was an even worse interpretation of the rule than the Myles Garrett/Ben Roethlisberger debacle last week. I’m all for protecting players, but this rule is ridiculous.

8. zappa73 says:
    September 17, 2018 at 6:01 am

It was a great tackle that, in modern terms, protects the player.

Horrible horrible call.
    ###

I don’t like the rule either, but based on the rule as written (which was lobbied for by a certain unnamed QB who fell wrong last year and broke his own collarbone), it was a good call.

If you know who hadn’t lobbied for said rule, that would have been one of the cleanest sacks Clay Mathews ever made.

But in the world where certain QB’s think that it’s not right that the opposing teams can hit him, this is what you get.

Contrast that to Mr. Cousins – who obviously didn’t think the hit was worthy of a penalty. But you don’t really expect him to turn it down, do you?

Both teams got called for one of the “phantom” penalties for roughing the QB. Neither call would have been made last year. I can give you “12” reasons why this rule sucks.

9. I woke up this morning feeling good that this promises to be a very good Packer team. Matthews call……meh. Carlson misses…..meh. Both teams should’ve won, both teams should’ve lost.

10. To drive Kirk into the ground Clay would have used his body weight.

Clay’s shoulder may have dug into Kirk but perhaps 75% of Clay’s weight wasn’t on Kirk but the ground.

11. You Vikings fans know as well as anyone that Matthews did not leave his feet and drive Cousins into the ground. To his credit, Cousins knows it too and said so.
    There were three other calls that had a huge influence in the game earlier and all three of them were bogus calls. One was against Jimmy Graham, one went against another Packers WR, and another one went against Lane Taylor, their left guard, for holding.
    I wonder how much the officials wagered on that game yesterday.

12. nyneal says:
    September 17, 2018 at 7:47 am
    I wonder how much the officials wagered on that game yesterday.

Mathews wasn’t penalized for leaving his feet. He was penalized for lifting Cousins feet and driving him to the ground.

I don’t like the new rule either, but you need to put the blame for the rule where it belongs – #12.

Cousins is correct – the rules are wrong. That’s what a real QB says.

As to the WHINING about some calls that determined the outcome of the game…

I find it hilarious that you only found some that went against the Packers.

Get your eyes checked.

13. So, NFL fans know it was a bad call. NFL media all agree it was a bad call. Dean Blandino and Mike Pereira both came out and said it was a bad call. Kirk Cousins admits it shouldn’t have been called. Yet Vikings fans still think it was illegal. Why am I not surprised?

14. The referees in this game were particularly bad. We counted 10 calls that were obviously bad just watching what was on the TV screen. 10!

And that includes only one offensive line holding call which shouldn’t have been called because the defender tripped and fell down. Seems like if a defensive lineman goes down the referees are instructed to automatically throw a flag.

In most game there may be 2 or 3. This one had 10. That was pathetic refereeing.

15. On to Washington. Officiating reeked going both ways. Calling it the Rodgers rule is stupid – thus, Viking fans here run with it.

16. How is it always different when it’s the Packers? We get the same call on us earlier in the game and it’s a good call but if it’s on them, “horrible, horrible call”

Packer fans are the worst in the league.

17. Every year, with the NFL ownership, Commissioner, reffing, the game I’ve loved for a lot of years gets a little less interesting. I’m not looking for the old days where the basically tried to hurt people, but the rules and refs are impacting waaaaay too much of the game.

18. nyneal says:
    September 17, 2018 at 7:47 am
    I wonder how much the officials wagered on that game yesterday.

****

you WHINE!

19. I’m just chillin’ on this whole debate. It’s early, there’s a lot of football left, the Green Bay defense will be just fine when they get their regulars back, Rodgers is phenomenal even on one leg……and he’ll recover. It’s looking and feeling good for the Packers. The bottom line? The Vikings will be very good as the season progresses. I’m liking Cousins and he’s the real deal. I have news for all of you: The Packers will be just as good as the season progresses. I can relax knowing the Vikings have nothing on the Packers this year.

20. marvin1958 says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:13 am
    __________________________________________________
    It is the Rodgers rule…it was based on his sack by Barr last year. You’re just playing semantics.

21. Terrible, terrible call…….

So just to make up for nobody knowing what a catch is; the NFL doesn’t want anyone to know what a fair tackle is either. If defenders can’t now tackle a QB like Matthews did, then it truly is time that QB’s wore red shirts

Andy Dalton got tackled about five times like this in the Bengals Colts game, without the hint of a flag……

Its not some much the rules; but the sheer inconsistency of them being applied that is killing the game. It tells you all you need to know that we have to have NFL stooges on TV like Perreira and Blind Dino to explain the rules to us.

22. The referee was wrong. Matthews didn’t lift and drive Counsins into the ground. This was a terrible call. I respect the fact that the refs are doing it at full speed, but this one was a clean as Barr’s.

The good news is that a lot fewer of these calls seem to have been made this week and even fewer bad ones.

23. I’m getting tired of Clay. Had this been Perry or Gilbert, no flag. If I was a Vikes fan I too would say Clay is a dirty player.

Matthews needs to stick to his assignments and start playing football.

24. beerbratscheese says:
    September 17, 2018 at 8:11 am
    _______
    you have got to be kidding me….I have been totally on the Packers side on this until I saw this post….all we heard about last year was that the Barr hit was illegal…even though it was completely legal under the current rule at the time…disagree with the call yesterday if you want….I certainly do….but your post is hypocrisy at its finest

25. Classic how Packers’ fans want it both ways. Last year their savior gets hurt on a completely legal hit and they cry so much that the NFL changes the rules. Now they don’t like the rules. Wah wah wah. Call the Wahmbulance. There were terrible calls both ways in the game so suck it up and get over it. The roughing the passer call against Kendricks was nearly an identical hit to the Matthews hit. Got get a hair cut and quit your crying Fabio.

26. I thought that call, along with the call against Kendricks earlier, were both wrong. The defense needs to be able to tackle the QB without having to worry about being penalized for it. We saw the effects of that in one instance when Cousins was about to get sacked, and the Packer defender just let go of him while he still had the ball.

That said, both teams should be kicking themselves after failing to notch the victory yesterday. The Packers had too many chances to punch the ball in the endzone, especially late in the game, and they settled for the FG. Meanwhile, if the Vikings haven’t already contacted Dan Bailey and/or Kai Forbath, their GM should be canned. That was a great comeback led by Cousins, and spoiled due to a rookie kicker who can’t take the heat.

27. mikeinminny says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:59 am
    ///////////////////////////

The Barr hit may have been “legal,” but it was late, dirty, intentional, and unnecessary. It should’ve been illegal and now is. That’s good.

Matthews was too close to the fire, stupidly, and got burned. I have no problem with the call. It was weak but discretionary from the view of the official. Stuff happens. The game was not won, lost, or tied on that play.

The Packers will be just fine this year. Cousins was the right move for the Vikings in order to compete with the Packers. He impressed me a lot yesterday. It’s all good. Neither team deserved to win or lose. There were plenty of opportunities for both and plenty of bad calls for both.

Frankly, I like the Packers’ chances this season. Kevin King needs to get healthy and stay on the field. The pass defense was doing just fine until he left the game. That’s the breaks.

28. stellarperformance says:
    September 17, 2018 at 10:36 am
    mikeinminny says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:59 am
    ///////////////////////////

————–
    Couldn’t agree more..here’s to a fun, competitive season…may the best team win!

29. mikeinminny says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:59 am
    beerbratscheese says:
    September 17, 2018 at 8:11 am
    _______
    ————

Wow, out of all the posts made since that play, mine was the one that caused to change your mind? If you go back to previous stories and search for my posts, you’ll see that I have stated that I’m against the new penalty rule.

That being said, there is a clear distinction between the Matthews hit and the Kendricks hit. Matthews hit him solely with his right arm and knocked him back, then even used his left had to break his fall to do what he could do to not put all his weight on Cousins. Kendricks wrapped up Rodgers then used his right hand to reach behind Rodgers’s knees and pull him up to knock him on his butt, and then he intentionally fell on top of him driving his body into Rodgers.

30. stellarperformance says:
    September 17, 2018 at 7:04 am

_______

Great way to put it and I completely agree. The Packers played a good game and Rodgers is amazing. They made the Viking defense look bad on several occasions, although Rodgers does that to a lot of good defenses. I loved that Cousins showed he could lead a 4th-quarter comeback and that was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Too bad the kicker blew it multiple times so they didn’t get the win, but neither team really deserved to win so we can be happy with that.

31. It’s a shame that this phantom call is taking away from the real story of this game.
    Once again, the Vikings choke. As they have been doing in big games since the days of Fran Tarkenton and Joe Kapp.
    They should change their name from the Vikings to the Chokings.

32. They tied. Neither team won and neither team lost. Get over it. There’s another game next week. Let’s not rehash it ad nauseum two or three times every day this week.

33. Win Just One for Tony says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:28 am
    It clearly was. Maybe we vike fans can admit that, too, now that Cousins has.
    ————————————

From what I’ve seen the Vikings fans including myself do agree it’s a stupid rule, but a rule nonetheless. It was called correctly the way it was written just like the Kendrick’s play. If you want to rant and rave about it blame Erin Rodgers who made a sack almost impossible to accomplish.

34. We’ll know whether it was a valid call or not by what the refs do in future games – even if the NFL says nothing official about it.

35. I am appreciating his perspective – but not appreciating the NFL’s rules on contact. Football is the ultimate contact sport. But DLs and LBs are reticent to hit receivers on the line because they fear the penalty. Penetrators are reticent to hit the QB, because if the QB (Brady) raises his arms, the flag comes out. When I played, you hit people. Pure and simple. Hit them.

36. If Matthew’s hadn’t of grabbed Cousin’s leg and slightly pulled while they were falling then there would have been no flag. The ref had that exact angle. To him, it appeared that Matthews drove Kirk into the ground. The hand on Kirk’s leg had to of led to the flag being thrown.

37. i thought the play that characterizes todays rules is the one where cousins got wrapped up but the defender let go of him to avoid getting a fine

38. The best way to protect QB’s is to allow chucking receivers for 10 Yds from the current 5. Promote running the ball. Go back to prior to 1978. Hard to get hurt when you’re handing off 40 times instead of 15.

Only reason QB’s got hurt then was because defenders could wail on them at will. But if your QBs are going to throw 45-50 passes a game, it’s just a matter of time.