Washington home opener played in front of 20,000 empty seats

Getty Images

After decades of claiming to sell out every game easily, and even claiming a season-ticket waiting list with more than 100,000 people on it, Washington has now admitted that it cant fill FedEx Field.

The team’s announced attendance for Sunday’s home opener was 57,013, which means there were upwards of 20,000 empty seats — and that’s after removing some seats from FedEx Field. Last year Washington’s announced attendance for the home opener was 78,658. In 2007, more than 90,000 fans attended a game against the Cowboys.

The fans who attended didn’t like what they saw in an ugly loss to the Colts. Adrian Peterson, the veteran running back who managed just 20 yards on 11 carries, said that during his 12-year career he hasn’t heard the kind of booing of the home team that he heard on Sunday.

It was a new one for me,” Peterson said. “It was different.”

That is sure to continue until the team starts playing better. Or until the stadium gets so empty that no one can hear the boos.

102 responses to “Washington home opener played in front of 20,000 empty seats

1. It’s a terrible stadium experience. FedEx Field feels like a giant concrete office building. It’s in the middle-of-nowhere, Maryland. The on-field product has not been good. Worst of all, it’s insanely expensive.

I love the Redskins, but they did this to themselves. Maybe they should lower ticket prices to reflect demand, until they can increase demand by providing a better experience.

2. They give away a franchise quarterback and expect the fans to keep showing up?

The organization is a mess from top to bottom.

3. Attention, Mr. Commissioner: the sign to your apocalypse is here…oh, and Mark Cuban is on Line #2, laughing his butt off.

4. I consider their fans ahead of the game then. Outside of someone giving me great seats and a good parking pass, or it being a special occasion, there is almost no chance I would go through the headache of attending a regular season game these days. Combine that with bad teams in September and spending more times watching for a flag to be called, and the idea of watching it at home with my family and friends seems about 1000x more enjoyable. It’s just not that fun to go anymore.

5. This fan base has been defeated. Sad to see such a storied franchise just crushed with bad management and mediocre/bad play for so long. This team used to be one of the cornerstones of the NFL, no longer. Is it Dan? Is it Bruce? is it Jay? who knows…but it all sucks and needs to be fixed.

6. I don’t think the Redskins are a bad team, but if I put myself in their fans’ shoes, how can you root and have hopes for a team that is so poorly run? Washington was amazing when Jack Kent Cooke owned them. Dan Snyder is the worst thing to ever happen to that franchise.

7. The NFL should be worried. After an exciting Week 1, you would think the Redskin fans would be psyched. The National Anthem debacle? PSLs? Bad officiating? Maybe football is losing it’s grip on the public. Whatever, the NFL should be concerned when a flagship franchise like the Redskins can’t fill the house in Week 2.

8. About the only way they would put butts in the seats is if the “hogs” and John Riggins came out of retirement.

9. As a Chiefs fan for 30+ years… this is why they let Alex Smith go. I loved the time he spent with the Chiefs… but if you are watching anything about the Chiefs… you can see why he was traded.

10. jam11163 says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:47 am
    Why would you pay to see they 3rd rate team with their high school coach ??? Get ready for the first overall pick.

———

I think Buffalo and Arizona (who got pummeled by the Skins, btw) will be vying for that top pick. Your point is still well taken, however… They’ll be picking in the top 5 anyway.

11. I live a few minutes from the stadium. I’ve lived there for about 14 years. I can see the massive difference in traffic from 2004 till today on game days. When I first brought my place I thought how bad could it be? I’ll only have to deal with traffic 8 times a year and maybe a couple of times for playoffs (snicker)….well back then it was horrible to the point that it took me 30-45 minutes to go a few miles on game day. Now I can zip through in 15 minutes on game day. The crowds I see are definitely smaller. I can walk into the parking lot at almost any time and get discounted tickets. This is what happens when the ownership puts out trash season after season.

12. Couldn’t have anything to do with Bruce Allen’s leadership. The guy clearly doesn’t care about winning…on the field.

Since the poor performance is finally hitting Snyder in the wallet, perhaps he will finally get a real GM to run the team.

13. Not AP’s fault. Any smart D-Coordinator will stack the box to neutralize AP, and make Captain Checkdown Alex Smith beat him. I mean 292 yards and no TDs, because all he does it throw to TEs and RBs. So much for Kirk Cousins being a bad QB. I mean 400-plus yards and 4 TDs is pretty bad. Given the receivers are still as bad as they were in Cousins’ final year, why wouldnt you always make the Redskins beat you with the pass?

14. When i saw the score, I figured the game had to have been played in Indy. Shocking that the Colts could win a game on the road.

15. Ahhh … the beauty of Dan Snyder. I was weaned as a Redskins fan living in Virginia. My first year as a superfan was 1978. Later that year we moved to Georgia. My Redskins fandom stayed intense through four years there, two in Alabama, and five in San Francisco during the 49ers’ greatest years. My loyalty also lasted another 2 years in Chicago and the first decade I lived in Nashville. Even being part of the grassroots movement to bring an NFL team to Nashville couldn’t undercut my fandom. When the Oilers arrived, they immediately became my favorite AFC Team. But I was a Redskins fan–and I attended the the first Tennessee Oilers vs. Redskins game, pulling for my Redskins fervently, loudly and yes, obnoxiously. … And then Dan Snyder’s ownership slowly started chipping away at me. Three years after the Oilers arrived, they entered a Monday Night Football game against the Redskins as the Titans. Days before the game approached, I confessed to my closest football friends that I was feeling torn. Most of them were Titans fans, and they were shocked. Wouldn’t you know it, before the third quarter started, I found myself pulling for Derrick Mason to make catches against my all-time favorite player Darrell Green (who years later I traveled to Canton to see inducted into the Hall of Fame). That was 18 years ago. Even the misery of being a Titans fan most of the past decade doesn’t come close to being a Redskins fan under Snyder. I never looked back.

16. I go to FedEx when the Pats are in town, and it is a grueling experience. Terrible road layout and traffic management can make a 1:00 game eat up an entire day, and your type of parking pass is often more important and expensive than your actual tickets. Once there, you are treated to an utterly unremarkable experience in one of the most generic stadiums imaginable, enduring concession foods from the 1970s but prices from the 2070s while an over the top announcer freaks out about basic run plays like the Mexican soccer announcer from the Simpsons. Snyder was supposed to be some sort of marketing genius but created an experience similar to spending hundreds of dollars to go to the DMV.

17. MOSSistheGOAT says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:41 am

Cris Carter was right about AP

So was he wrong last week? Can’t judge a player on one or two games.
    —–
    I think AP did this when he was with the saints, started great and then…

18. Stack the box and stop AP. Alex isn’t consistent enough to beat you with his arm. He’ll do it occaisionally but not enough to have a winning record.

19. There are a bunch of reasons for this: (life long skins fan and actually attended the game yesterday)
    1-Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen and the overall poor leadership of the team for the past two decades.
    2-The team is not good and hasn’t been for a very long time. The fans are fed up with it. Enough with the highlights from the past!
    3-The drama around the team has gotten old. This is actually may be getting better.
    4-The stadium is horrible…all of it…the experience, the food, the parking/traffic control(except yesterday there was no traffic), the announcer, and this list can go on.
    5-The fans (not all of them)…the drinking at Fed ex is out of control. In part because the team has not been good and the location but the reality is there are almost no families at the game. Have some drinks and tailgating is one thing but this seems to be at an entirely different level compared to other stadiums I have been too. Parents don’t want to spend thier money (not cheap) to watch this and the drunks.
    6-Constant lying by the front office.
    7-Weak attempts to make the experience better.
    8-Expensive
    9-TV is better, especially for the skin fan…see list above.
    Problem…HTTR for life…Its an abusive relationship. I will always be a skins fan but I would rather go to an away game, as a redskins fan, then go to a home game at Fed Ex.

20. longislandcowboysfan33 says:
    September 17, 2018 at 10:01 am
    We don’t have that problem. Go Cowboys

———————————————-

You’re absolutely right. I seem to remember the Eagles playing a “home game” last year at AT&T Stadium. You guys really pack the place with visiting fans…lol!

21. You can change the coaches all you want. It comes down to culture. It’s rotten. Been rotten since Dan bought the team. What was once a classy franchise is no more!

22. patrickvwashington says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:58 am
    MOSSistheGOAT says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:41 am

Cris Carter was right about AP

So was he wrong last week? Can’t judge a player on one or two games.
    ……………………………………………………………………………..
    He’s not basing it off two games, its based off of the entire 2017 season…this is the AP you’re gonna get…3-4 great games mixed in with 1.7 ypc the other 12 games, ray charles could see AP is donzo

23. codycaillet says:
    September 17, 2018 at 9:59 am

———–

100% agree.

Taking out that I am a Lions fan and they have been frustrating to watch..

The flags-Take the Lions game yesterday, it essentially ended on a somewhat ticky tack defensive holding call that had no effect on the play. Or the Vikes Pack game- the roughing call on Matthews was absurd.

Everyone chirps about it being pricey, and it is. Even though I could afford a special occasion like you said , but why would I at this point? Spend a huge chunk of my discretionary income and blow an entire day off to deal with insanely drunk people at an increasingly over officiated game?

At. this point i would rather just watch the game at home with my brother in law and enjoy it.

24. I’m 1,000% against changing the team name, but maybe changing the name, taking DC dollars to get a new stadium in DC, and having a fresh start is just what the franchise needs?

25. The current trend in sports is the downturn of the NFL. Poor officiating, old outdated broadcasters and reporters, Neil Downers, entitled Nike athletes, filthy rich owners, high priced advertising, pre and post game shows that last forever, the cost of attending a game, listening to a drunk fan yelling about the play call because of his fantasy players,
    and the cost of NFL direct TV. There are better ways to spend your time and the youth is showing all of us the way.

26. I understand the product and cost complaints but how in the world does someone complain about pre & post game shows? Is someone making you watch, please get a clue and do some charitable work or something before or after the game. Life is…

27. It’s foolish to judge by a game or two. The Skins might yet prove to be competitive team on the field (doubtful, but possible) and their division looks weak.

But the ownership and front office HAVE shown what they are, for years and years, so no need to reserve judgment there. Anyone who was/has been a season ticket holder for a long time can testify to how arrogant and miscalculating the front office has been in marketing themselves. Little Danny remains clueless. It’s his DNA. If he really wanted to show he had changed, he would have replaced Allen.

28. Am I the only one who heard about the hurricane that was expected to affect most of VA? Am I the only one who realizes that most of the fans who come to games come from VA? I didn’t buy tickets because early projections said I needed to be home due to the storm. As the storm redirected, many Virginians at some point were expecting to need to be home. Not saying that accounts for every empty seat but I’d guess it accounts for an awful lot of them.

29. This cant be, according to nhpats and the rest of the clown patriots fanbase , Luck wpuld never play again, let alone winning a road game as 6 point underdogs. Ohh and tammy just got sacked again

30. Wrap your head around this tidbit: They let Kirk Cousins go for a mediocre dude in his 14th season. 14th SEASON!?!?! Who’s running this team? The AARP?

31. I saw a ton of Colts fans in the stands… along with one dude in a purple Ravens jersey (sitting in the end zone seats and one dude in a blue Cowboys jersey sitting around the 30 yard line. Come on man, ya don’t wear the gear of a team that isn’t even on the field to a game!

32. The reason Washington got beaten is because Indy is better than they’re being given credit for. If not for a late fumble, they probably beat the Bengals in week 1, and those same Bengals thrashed Baltimore in week 2. I’m not saying Indy’s elite, just that they’ve been written off by every talking head out there. Washington isn’t an awful team, I bet they won’t finish last in their conference. They have some weapons on offense and a stout D.
    They’re not going to be picking top 5.

33. If you are a Redskins fan, you have to hope that the stadium attendance continues to decrease, prompting Dan Snyder to sell the team. Snyder selling the team is the only chance the Redskins have of being competitive in the future.

34. Redskins fans have been disappointed with the franchise since heath shuler days and Dan snyder. We’re tired of being teased that we’re going to have a good season only to find out we were played. We’ve supported this team long enough and coughed up our hard earned money. I’m not going to another game until they can prove they’re winning and changed football team. They know they’re losing fans. Fedex was sitting 95,000 at one point. Then 80, 72 and now, their new stadium is only going to seat 54 thousand. They know they’re losing money and their fan base. I’m embarrassed to be a Redskins fan. Redskins had the ability to sign good players for cheap and they didn’t make a move.they got overrated wide outs that can’t catch or do anything.Their only receivers are adrian Peterson, chris th8 and Jordan Reed.They need to get Dez Bryant or Josh Gordon and take a chance with the. Becaus right now. I’m done with this garbage. I’ll be at home wat hung from now on until they prove to me and the fans that they’ve changed and are better than what they use to be.

35. I miss the good old days when that dimwit VoiceOfReason used to come on here telling everybody how great the Redskins were and how many Super Bowls RGIII and Cousins were going to win, oh man, Good Times!!!!!!

36. People were worried about heavy rain, so they didnt go to the game. If you metro in, its a mile long walk to the stadium.

37. Blah blah blah…AD’s fault.

He had a whole 3 carries in the 1st half. And when he did have a carry, by the time he got the ball, there were 2 Dlinemen in the backfield. Not to mention Gruden’s playcalling was atrocious.

Love to bash him when his stats aren’t great and love to downplay what his stats are good/great. That’s called not being able to win in the eye of the public and AD cant.

38. Had nothing to do with the team… it was all about people worried about the remnants of the hurricane. 20,000 people decided stay home and watch it on tv. Game was sold out hence no local blackout. Relax

39. Is this a shock? The Redskins are a mediocre football team and it costs a lot to attend their games. $60 for parking. $100 plus for tickets. Food and drink in the stadium is expensive. Why would you want to pay that much money for a mediocre football team?

40. Overall interest in the league is down everywhere but it proves how fickle the “left leaning” crowd base is.

41. Skins fans have finally stopped being blindly loyal. They haven’t had a good team, let alone a great one, in years. Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL.

42. frodoftw7 says:
    September 17, 2018 at 11:47 am
    As a Raiders fan I know exactly why those seats are empty.
    ________________________________________________

Yep cant just keep punching the fans in the face with crappy product. I dumped seasons when they started their protesting. I watch at home. Win win for me. When my team plays like trash I switch to a different game.

43. jake6879 says:
    September 17, 2018 at 11:37 am

****************
    Doubtful. By Friday, weather forecast was for a mostly clear day on Sunday.

44. The Jacksonville Jaguars used to play to a nearly empty stadium just a couple years back, but now they have to remove some tarp to add more seats after they went deep into the playoffs last season. Watch the fans come back if they start winning again. Football tickets are not exactly dirt cheap, and paying dearly to watch your home team lose is not fun.

45. I don’t understand. Even fans of the opposing team would like to see the comeback player of the year. I guess not.

46. 1. New Tax Law when entertainment expenses are no longer deductible.

2. Daniel Snyder is still owner.

3. NFL experience is much better on the couch or local pub than in any stadium.