NFL: Clay Matthews hit on Alex Smith is “textbook” roughing the passer

Getty Images

The NFL’s new focus on roughing the passer has once again created a Sunday evening ruckus. And, once again, Packers linebacker Clay Matthews is smack dab in the middle of it all.

But the NFL insists that today’s call — a penalty arising from Matthews landing on Washington quarterback Alex Smith with all or most of his body weight — was the right call. Former NFL referee, and current NFL consultant, Ed Hocuhli explained the reasoning to PFT by phone, not long before the start of this week’s edition of Football Night in America.

Calling it a “textbook” case of roughing, Hochuli said that the hit by Matthews falls squarely within the point of emphasis regarding the roughing passer foul, as it relates to the placement of all or most of the defender’s body weight on the passer.

“They’ve been calling it this way for six weeks,” Hochuli said. “It’s as clear of an example of roughing the passer as you could have.”

So what should Matthews have done differently? Hochuli said that the solution is simple. Matthews had two steps before hitting Smith. The league expects Matthews in that situation to hit him and roll to the side, landing with Matthews’ body weight on the ground, not on the passer.

“If I could show an example of fully body weight on a passer,” Hochuli said, “that would be the play.”

Players, coaches, fans, and media may not like it that way, but that’s the way it is. The league has decided to protect its quarterbacks, because the league knows that the quality of the product suffers greatly when the best quarterbacks aren’t on the field.

161 responses to “NFL: Clay Matthews hit on Alex Smith is “textbook” roughing the passer

1. So you hit them hard enough to lift the QB off of his feet, (Has anyone been tackled while still on their feet?) then, while in the air for that split second, twist your body while pulling the QB also, so that you each land on your side, but you still have the QB in your grasp.

2. Just wrap up the passer with both hands, pick him up off the ground but dont tackle him. Stupid league rules. Why are we listening to Hocculi. He messed up rules more than anybody in the league in recent years.

3. I was out all day and missed all but the second half of the 4pm games. Didn’t miss watching it. The roughing the passer emphasis was the topping point for me. I don’t think I’m going to be consuming this product like I used to.

4. Sucks that Anthony Barr broke Aaron Rodgers’ collarbone last year with a clean tackle. Now they changed the rule, and the Clay Matthews seems to be paying the biggest price.

5. You just don’t land with your weight on top of the qb, most other players seemed to have grasped this concept, maybe, just maybe, Clay is as dull as he seems.

6. So a defender has to hit the ground hard instead of the QB, so the defender can get hurt instead of the QB? This league has become a complete and underrate joke. If you want to protect the QB so bad, then as soon as a defender puts a hand on the QB, it’s a sack. Simple as that.

7. The NFL is ruining the game for the players and the fans. I understand protecting players, but you may as well put flags on QBs.

8. Are there any Viking fans, besides purpleguy, who can make a comment that sounds somewhat intelligent? Amid the league destroying itself, you all seem gleeful that it’s hurting the Packers. The grown ups are all more concerned that the league is ruined and want real football back.

9. Look I’m a Skins fan. I saw the game I saw the play. I don’t know anything else he could have done other than give Smith a pillow to land on.
    NFL is getting to soft.

10. Redskins fan here. First, that call was awful. They need to fix that interpretation because that was not a dirty play, nor was Matthews hit on Cousins last week. Second, that play had no affect on the outcome of the game. The Redskins ended up punting a few plays later. To listen to the pundits talk, you’d think it cost the Packers the game again this week. Third, it is an absolute joy to.watch Aaron Rodgers. Even at 60% like he was this week, he is just an amazing player. Best of luck to the Packers the rest of the way.

11. Meh; it was a bad call but the Redskins would have still beaten the Green Bay team handily.

12. The quality of the product suffers when you stop people from being able to play. Saying that in the last two steps Matthews should have rolled his weight is idiotic. The QB’s will start to shake the pass rusher away. Put flags on the qb. The game is really suffering

13. By that definition then yeah that was a penalty. Matthews literally bounces off of Cousins chest so there was no attempt to not come down on top of him once he was wrapped.

With that being said a pass rusher’s job is ridiculously hard now because if you don’t hit the guy hard enough the QB is just going to slip out of the tackle and if you hit them too hard it’s 15 yards for roughing the passer. It’s a bad rule because if an offensive lineman misses a block it’s almost guaranteed to now be roughing the passer on the pass rusher just due to physics.

14. Wow. Just WOW. I’m not a fan of Green Bay on bit. But when you villanize a guy who is one of the faces of the NFL and you paint him in such a picture? Well,yeah that’s pretty messed up. What’s next? You can only Blitz once on every set of downs?

15. SMH! I still like my football. Screw the stupid penalties! I still look forward to Thursday, Friday and Saturday college football. A lot more enjoyable than Sunday crap.

16. So if Matthews would have used physics he would have never been flagged? So if his body was 69 degrees to the left and instead of running at 6.9 mph but instead ran at 6.7 mph it would have been a legal hit? Roger Rabbit Goodell, Ed (neptotism) Hochuli and the rest of crap the NFL who has never played a down, you are ruining the game.

17. As a Packer and football fan, I don’t have a problem with a rule that helps protects players but what they’re asking defenders to do is borderline trying to defy gravity and laws of physics. The only solution is to go with two hand touch or put flags on QBs.

18. When Smith folds like a wet paper bag on contact, how do you not land on him?

I don’t really care anymore…theres a Helluva lot more to do on Sunday afternoons.

19. ds34952 says:
    September 23, 2018 at 8:40 pm
    Like when the KC player landed on Jimmy GQ causing him to blow out his ACL? Oh, wait……never mind.
    —————————————–
    Did you actually watch the play? I’m betting you didn’t. Jimmy G initiated the contact with the DB and nobody actually landed on him. Oh, and if you watch the replay you can clearly see that that Jimmy pulled up right before contact meaning that the ACL injury occurred prior to the contact.

20. djvh2 says:
    September 23, 2018 at 8:42 pm

////////////////////////////

A bit of an overreaction isn’t it? “the league is destroying itself”, “the league is ruined”. The NFL put in a rule to protect their QBs, it’s not carved In stone, they will tweak it and all will be good. Unfortunately for packer fan you are going to have to put Matthews on a leash or he will continue to take stupid penalties and the most inopportune time.

21. Dear Vince McMahon,

If you want the XFL to be a success, skip all of the gimmicks, and just play the kind of football that the NFL used to play.

22. Glad Viking fans seem to have all the answers. The dirtiest team in the league and their fans feel qualified to offer advice on the virtues of clean play .. Yeah, good one Flboy

23. If that’s a penalty, they’re going to lose way more fans that they did over then kneeling BS.

That’s a perfectly clean good hit.

24. The Rules Committee should be running for cover. That was a textbook tackle of the quarterback. You want people to be less passionate about the NFL and follow other sports more? Keep it up.

25. NFL Football Operations is currently seeking a Coordinator, Social Content to assist with strategy and maintenance of the overall NFL Football Ops social ecosystem and manage the day-to-day programming of the @NFLOfficiating social media accounts. This individual must have a strong working knowledge of both the NFL and social landscapes.

26. Looked more like a textbook tackle.

Now the NFL is going to tell us what our eyes see. What are they, leftists?

27. There should be a button on the QBs Jersey that, when pressed, lights a strobe on top of his helmet. Then we can still say, “wow!That dude got lit up!”. They could even add a siren, kinda like when a goal is scored in hockey. It would count as a sack unless you pressed his button too hard.

28. blogatron2000 says:
    September 23, 2018 at 9:12 pm
    ds34952 says:
    September 23, 2018 at 8:40 pm
    —————————————–
    —————————————–
    Quick, look up, there is something going right over your head

29. Sort of ironic how a rule made specifically to protect a certain teams whiny QB, comes back to bite that same team. Twice!

30. djvh2 says:
    September 23, 2018 at 8:42 pm
    ——————-
    Are you living in an alternative universe?
    The rule exists because of the Packers QB.

We all think it’s a stupid rule.
    And it was stupid to create a new rule because of Aaron Rodgers injury.

It’s just hilarious because the refs have the gall to call it on the packers.
    It’s not just the packers getting called for it. But they are getting the headlines.
    Sniff sniff

31. It’s over. I can’t believe it but it really is over. They actually killed their own game. I’m sickened over it but I’m done. Good Luck folks this is my last post and the last game I will watch. Good Bye.

32. Most of you need to read the rule. Matthews clearly had his body weight land on smith. It was way more obvious than last week. It’s the rule! You can’t just pick which rules you follow. I don’t like the rule. But it’s the rule and the NFL is only going to make these calls tougher. Get used to it. It’s the way the league is now. Stop complaining that it was a bad call. It wasn’t. It was the right call. It’s a bad rule. McCarthy should have been ejected for his childish reaction. He is also clearly coaching his players this new rule incorrectly. That’s his fault he is coaching them wrong when the league clearly had laid out the new rule. But keep whining. It’s not going to change anything. The rule is here to stay forever.

33. Mathews is a dirty player.Two years ago he broke Brian Hoyer’s arm by leading with his helmet. No flag thrown. It’s about time that he’s getting penalized.

34. The problem with the rule is everyone can look at that play and say it shoould not be a penalty. That is all. This should not have been a fumble. At some point you have to allow these guys to play football. It almost penalizes the players who are able to get to the QB.

35. KARMA !!!

Erin (made of glass) Rodgers whined non stop from the minute he got hurt that they needed rules to stop defenders from landing on them.

NFL institutes rule to keep Erin (made of glass) rodgers safe from being landed on.

Roid Mathews whines he cant land on QB’s any softer.

Erin (made of glass) rodgers whines that the new rule is bad.

The refs called the play correctly BY THE RULES (the erin made of glass rodgers rule). Roid mathews just needs to go talk to glass rodgers about why he is getting flagged.

36. This is so ridiculous. There’s no way Matthews hit on Cousins last week or this hit on Alex Smith today were illegal. I am sick and tired of these stupid rules and officials deciding games. Every defensive player and defensive coach should be voicing their displeasure and anger with these calls.
    As a fan, I am growing so sick of these calls, I turned that game off after that b.s. call on Matthews today. I refuse to watch any more games until they amend this rule and tell these officials to stop making these ridiculous calls. The officials stole that game against the Vikings away from the Packers last week and they made a crucial bad call again today which definitely impacted that game. I am thoroughly disgusted.
    Mike McCarthy was absolutely livid at the officials over that call and I was hoping he’d take his team and pull them off the field and head for the locker room. What’s the sense of playing when the officials steal the game from you? The NFL will of course back the official and this call. Stupid is as stupid does.
    In the meantime, they have lost a fan who has been a faithful watcher for 57 years. Next weekend I will find something other than the NFL to do. I hope others join me in my one man protest.

37. marvin1958 says:
    September 23, 2018 at 9:21 pm

//////////////////

My deepest apologies marv…….. let me get into packer fan character………the sky is falling…the sky is falling!!!!

38. And by the way — Vikings fans are laughing their tales off at these bad calls on Matthews. They love it. Until it happens to one of their players, of course — then they’ll be crying like stuck pigs.

39. Also — those people who are blaming Aaron Rodgers for this rule and unbelievably stupid. Rodgers had nothing to do with it other than the league wants the highest paid guys in the league to play every Sunday. If it happened to Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, or Kirk Cousins, or any other top QB, the NFL would have reacted the same way.
    So stop your childish blaming of Rodgers and get real.

40. Everyone was worried about the helmet rule ruining football but they have only called it twice all year because it`s not happening on QB`s. This crap rule was the last straw that has changed my football priorities to watching on Saturdays and taking the family out on Sundays. I catch one game maybe but i`ve stopped spending my Sunday watching 3 games of don`t touch the quarterback. My team is winning and this seasons product still isn`t worth paying for. #NFLJUMPEDTHESHARK2018

41. What about Payne’s hit on Aaron? That was a body slam for goodness sake but that’s not flagged? I get it, they are going to call this otherwise they catch hell from the league office but then be consistent. Sadly there is no ref with any stones to stand up and take the heat for the sake of the game.

The NFL is going to lose a lot of fans because of this. I only watch my Packers now, the rest frankly is not worth watching if they are going to call the games like this. I guess I should thank you for getting my life back. Can’t wait for basketball and hockey to start.

42. I blame the time we strip sacked Flacco inside his own 20, and the refs said actually his forward progress was stopped even though he was dropping back, and gave him the ball back just so the game would be close. Goodell’s dream is 32 8-8 teams all hoping for the playoffs and he will do anything to make it happen.

43. I wonder if this rule will make players revolt, and actually defenders try to actually hurt QBs. If they’re going to get penalized, no matter what they do, they might hurt the QB and get their money’s worth.

44. Dirt Mathews is a historically dirty player – he needs to clean up his act or be sent packing from the sport – he is not a professional – he’s an enforcer for the Cheese Cheater mob. I love when he gets flagged.

45. If Ed had played, or paid close attention to the mechanics of the game, he would realize that his suggested Tackling form would lead to a lot of missed tackles, especially against some of the bigger, stronger, and slipperier QBs. Of which there are many in the league. That form of tackling just isn’t as reliable and makes no sense if you are coming straight-on at the QB. Why would you sidestep if you have a clear, direct path?

46. Edit. The. Textbook.

It’s fine to protect quarterbacks–I’m not thrilled when ours is injured, either. But some of us actually enjoy good defense, and since the officials aren’t smart enough to recognize unavoidable contact, the NFL has to adjust this rule. As for Hochuli, his opinion is no longer relevant.

47. I say if the QB is touched, the play should be dead. I don’t care if it’s a pass, escaping pressure or a designed run, if a defensive player touches him, play over.

48. ‘ bit of an overreaction isn’t it? “the league is destroying itself”, “the league is ruined”.’

I don’t think so. Have you read the comments? At least a handful of fans have said they are through, most are going to watch college football instead or are so frustrated they are on the verge of stopping. Me personally, have watched since 1960 and really don’t enjoy watching any more. Today I didn’t watch any game, just about 2 hrs of Red Zone, and that only because I work for a cable company and get to watch that for free. Honestly, if I wasn’t visiting family at the same time I would’ve done something else. It was bad enough when they ruined the balance of running vs passing, and made even duds like Cousins able to throw for over 4K every year, but now they don’t even let teams rush the passer.

The only fans that seem happy, again, are the Vikings fans, and not even all of them. It seems that the Packers doing bad trumps everything else for them.

49. “One idea for Clay–if he just wrapped up the QB and held him until the whistle, no chance for a penalty.”

But that’s the point. He made a clean tackle. If he had to slow down to do as you suggest, Smith would just run away. Some of these QBs are great athletes and can easily get away if the tackler isn’t going full throttle.

Same with hitting him straight on. Shouldn’t that be the best way to get the QB, instead of trying to catch one side of him? It’ll be like soccer OT, when the goalie guesses which way the kick will go, and misses completely when he’s wrong (is there anything more boring?). Except that for a pass rusher, if he guesses right, he’ll crush the QB and get a flag thrown for not tackling him from the side. This rule seems like a rule made by someone who never played sports.

50. “All these people saying the NFL is ruined, can’t watch it anymore… Yet here you are, watching and commenting…”

Why is that hard to understand? People want what they had before. If they don’t get it, don’t worry, they’ll be gone.

51. I watch the NFL games using the following process……set my Fantasy lineup and determine if I have enough interest to DVR the game….this allows me to fast forward through the endless commercials….the product is so poor that I never watch the games live nor do I attend any longer at the stadium…..yes, Roger and the idiotic rules have gotten so out of control I wont allow myself to spend 4 hours in front of my TV…better things to do.

52. As a skins fan I saw that hit…looked clean to me…and Smith got Lit up. I think we are at the point of giving them flags…and furthermore if were going to go so soft with the QB…they shouldn’t’ be allowed to scramble either. Clearly I’m not going to stop watching tomorrow….football is too ingrained in me…. but between owners whining about stadiums, players whining about pay, politics in the sport, and the nuderification of the sport it certainly diminishes the sport. I don’t want anyone to get hurt…but its not like these athletes don’t know what they sign up for.

53. Glad I didn’t watch any football today. I did see the play later on a sports show, and it was ridiculous. That is simply a sack, and no propagandizing will change it. Y’know, I am not really missing watching the game I used to love. The league has become a joke.

54. Pack fan here. The Redskins beat the Packers convincingly and the refs didn’t affect the outcome of the game. Grats to their fans. Having said that, the calls on Matthews and Kendricks last week and the repeated call on Matthewps today were terrible, and I appreciate those Skins fans who in fairness have pointed this out. This isn’t about the Packers. They deserved to lose. This about the wellbeing of the game for all fans.

55. Ok…I say everyone just quit and sign with the Alliance League. The Alliance League can just adopt the rules the NFL used back before the league became a joke. Problem solved… As an added bonus, they can just sell streaming packages for the Alliance League for a price that isn’t completely ridiculous instead of price gouging when they’re already billionaires.
    Problem solved!

56. Same exact play was flagged against Antwione Williams playing for Minnesota this summer. Here are some comments

LandOf10000MethLabs says:
    August 24, 2018 at 4:46 pm
    Anthony Barr is mentoring him on the subtleties of delivering cheap shots.

stellarperformance says:
    August 24, 2018 at 4:59 pm
    Well, what do you know! It was deemed “unnecessary.” Where, oh where, have we heard that before?

tokyosandblaster says:
    August 24, 2018 at 5:08 pm
    They’re trained to hurt people in Minnesota. Not to play the game within the rules.

filthymcnasty3 says:
    August 24, 2018 at 5:29 pm
    It sounds like those naughty refs are really out to get the Vikings.

marvin1958 says:
    August 24, 2018 at 5:39 pm
    Wooo-doggie, Viking fans have their frilly laceys all bundled up on this one.

Tell ya what boys, I tackled like Barr did…and it was my intent to injure. You boys have NO idea what you’re talking about.

longtimefanh8tr says:
    August 24, 2018 at 5:36 pm
    Can’t wait to see the Vikes get flagged again and again and again for their cheap shots.

usdcoyotesfan says:
    August 25, 2018 at 2:18 pm
    Good. It was excessive and unnecessary.

57. The quality of the product also drops when players, defensive, have no idea how they legally tackle. Then when they aren’t whiffing on tackles and do it pretty much textbook wrap up it’s a penalty.

Between the Chiefs game and Vikes game I lost count of squared up missed tackles cause they just can’t do it anymore. They don’t get to practice it enough and are actually getting injured more due to their bodies not being ready to take the pounding of a season.

The NFL really needs to stop the way it’s going. It’s becoming unwatchable.

58. The problem with this rule is they want Matthews to get injured by falling off the QB full speed and probably landing directly on his shoulder or head as opposed to the QB taking any kind of physical damage. This is gna ruin football and decide games. Wait, it already has!

59. cheeseisfattening says:
    September 23, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Same exact play was flagged against Antwione Williams playing for Minnesota this summer. Here are some comments…

+++++++

Now you are doing clip shows? Weak.

60. This rule change is “ruining the game” but…but… no one believes a blatantly lying president is ruining the country?? Weird group of posters on here.

61. Two out of three times the refs got it right with Clay. He is such a selfish player he isn’t going to change though. The hit on Cousins was a horrible call and he has every right to complain about that. But Smith and Trubisky were the right calls. Fabio hit Smith helmet to helmet and landed on top of him. He has always been a dirty player and these plays are in the open.He needs to adjust because he is hurting the team. I just don’t see it happening.

62. Cheeseisfattening…good post.
    The call was complete bs. Cut to the chase… it was a sack. I don’t like the Packers, and these GB fans are getting what they deserve… but damn. It wasn’t after he threw the ball… it was a sack. Good old fashioned football. Bring it back.

63. What’s funny about Clay3 whining is that if he was hitting Rodgers as a BFF if he played for another team he would launch and roll to the side.

Instead, by throwing his 235lbs on an unfriendly QB his intent is to sack, humiliate and injure!

64. weepingjebus says:
    September 23, 2018 at 10:23 pm
    I blame the time we strip sacked Flacco inside his own 20
    _______________________

Flacco still giving you nightmares? We just lost to 2 very average teams, Flacco is the least of our problems right now.

65. I’m not a fan of the rule as it stands now, but this is the correct call under the rules.

I’d say this is comparable to the Jesse James play against New England last year. Everyone knows that should have been a touchdown. He caught the ball with a knee down and made a separate move, with full control, to extend it over the goal line. He lost the ball when he hit the ground. Unfortunately, under the rules last year, it was an incomplete pass. This play, while a great tackle, violates the rule.

My biggest problem with it is that QBs don’t even have to throw a pass to get a “roughing the passer” penalty called. They’re deemed to be a “passer” if they’re in a passing posture before, during or after a pass. On this particular play, Smith saw Matthews coming and had braced for impact. He wasn’t defenseless in the dictionary sense of the word, but he was in the NFL rule book sense.

I honestly haven’t seen a lot of NFL football so far this year. I don’t watch preseason and I’ve only seen a little game action so far, so I’m not sure how often this has been called. It’s an officiating point of emphasis this year, so expect to see more of it.

66. The NFL is really playing itself here.

It’s like they’re a shady ‘non profit’ organization that takes advantage of their ‘loyal’ fan base…

67. I’ll keep saying it. I may have been a lowly Division II player, but I had over 30 sacks in my career. That’s up there.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to do what they want. In fact, I probably played around Clay’s size (6’3.5, 245) and I was a former QB. As athletic as I was, no way I could make that adjustment in that short of time. And I was a 4.5 kid with a 4.2 shuttle. I was just weak as hell and keeping 245 on was even hard. Hahaha.

68. It’s a stupid rule but Clay clearly breaches the rule.
    I hate that this is one of the regulations but you can’t do what he’s doing

69. nyneal says:
    September 23, 2018 at 9:56 pm
    ———–
    Selective outrage. Take off your blinders.
    It was called on Kendricks….but no headlines.
    There have been 28 other calls across the league, but no headlines.
    It’s a bad rule across the board.
    After 10 years of phantom free plays for Rodgers, it’s about time GB fans get a taste of this nonsense.

70. They are applying this rule inconsistently, which shouldn’t surprise anyone. A conspiracy theorist might think this is just another way for the league to control the outcome of games to their liking, or ratchet up the drama in certain situations.

I am hopelessly addicted to Fantasy Football / DFS so I will continue to pay attention but within the last 10 years or so the prestige of the NFL and meaningfulness of the results/champions has been severely diminished in my view. It’s just another sports league to me now, whereas 10+ years ago it was the only one I really cared about. I miss the 80’s / 90’s NFL.

71. hbk314 says:
    September 24, 2018 at 4:30 am

—————————————————————————————-

I knew you hadn’t seen a lot of football as soon as you said that call against Matthews was the correct call. it was a bullspit call and any football fan worth his weight in salt knows it. So was the one against Cousins last week.
    And all you buffons who are saying the Packers get preferential treatment from the officials are clueless.

72. All I know is that Mathews has been called for the same penalty every game this season.

When do the fines or ejections start for being a repeat offender on a point of emphasis?

73. This reminds me of the iPhone reception issues…

Apple’s brilliant response was to hold the phone differently…whatever…do something unnatural to fix their issue….

74. Another Skins fan here. That was a stupid penalty and it should never have been called. If only the League had refs with even a little bit of common sense then maybe some of these bad calls wouldn’t be made. Calls like this are why I prefer college football. The NFL sucks under Goodell….

75. if that hit was a penalty , then quarterbacks can’t scramble. they cant have it both ways. or maybe the qb needs to wear a flag or go back to 2 hand touch

76. whatever idiots in the NFL office think that that was roughing the passer needs to get off their fat asses and go demonstrate themselves at NFL speed how the laws of physics need to be altered during game time.

77. The flags are getting ridiculous. The NFL banks on the loyalty of everyone on sites like this. They know we’re not going anywhere so they don’t care what our opinion is. The product is becoming such a watered down version of what it used to be it is becoming tough to watch. The Matthews hit was a flag to the letter of the law but I’m not sure what the NFL wants a defender to do. I’m 165 pounds and it would be impossible to shift my weight when all momentum is taking me one way. How is a 275 pound LB or Defensive end supposed to do that? When is it that QBs will just fall over when guys are coming for them? Do you think Vince McMahon isn’t sitting back looking at this and seeing dollar signs every time a flag goes flying?

78. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    September 23, 2018 at 8:42 pm
    LOL…….
    Part of me is starting to think this is a set to allow Rodgers to win the Super Bowl while playing in a wheelchair.

HAH!!! dont even pretend like you wouldnt watch that

79. To be clear this new rule sucks. But Packer fans called for this rule when Rodgers was injured and cheered it when it was called against the Vikings in the preseason. Having it called against them is sweet irony. More please.

80. I am really getting sick of all the complaining about this rule. The Packers are the biggest whiner and it was their diva QB and head coach that got this rule implemented. The first place Chicago Bears lead the NFL with 14 sacks and if my memory serves me right they have not had a roughing the QB penalty called on them yet. C’mon man.

81. Hey NFL I have news for you (as a lifetime redskins fan) the only thing this was a textbook example of was the LAWS OF PHYSICS. When you wrap your arms around someone while moving towards them and they are stationary, you and they will fall down, and you will land on top of them. Matthews sack was, if anything else, textbook NOT roughing the passer. Helmet was to the side, no head contact, let gravity take QB down, did not in any way drive QB into the ground. At this point we just need to give QBs flags to wear and be done with it. The NFL has to be the stupidest multi-billion dollar entity in the history of mankind. The current NFL head of officiating is an idiot.

82. I can guarantee you that if Rodgers doesn’t whine and moan for two weeks after he was sacked last year, nothing would have changed. Just shut up and heal. He made enough noise and was the NFL poster boy, that the NFL was forced to do something.

83. I’m not in support of actions that create more injuries, but I wonder if there could come a point when the players just decide to say “screw it” and start REALLY punishing the QB’s. I mean, if I’m going to get flagged anyway I may as well make sure it’s worth it, right? Like I said, don’t want to see that happen, but looking at it from the players point of view, it seems like a logical thing that could happen.

84. remember when Monday football would show all the big hits that happened on sunday’s games?
    maybe the tv networks should show all these rediculous calls on Monday and Sunday night games at halftime. They pay big money to the NFL they should hold them accountable for the product that is being shown on the field

85. I think they implemented this rule to keep us talking about it and less talking about the anthem. When does the XFL start again?

86. Clay’s helmet hit Smith’s helmet on the tackle and that has always been a penalty. Any time you hit a QB in the head they will call that most of the time. Fabio is a meathead.

87. Fantasy Football

It is ruining the NFL, not helping it. The NFL turned the position of QB into something it was never intended with all the rule changes to help offenses. And because of that QB’s take more of the salary cap from their team. The NFL defense’s are now defenseless. Plenty of football fans enjoy good defensive teams playing.And get rid of the 5 yard penalty with the automatic first down too. If offenses can’t get first downs on their own they punt.

88. The NFL is lying here. The rule literally says the QB has to either:

A) Be in the process of throwing the ball

OR

B) Have already thrown the ball

None of that applied on the Matthews play.

89. Im sorry, but from the age of 6, all the way up through high school, that was exactly the textbook definition of what type of tackle the coaches wanted to see.

Shoulder to the midsection, not too high, not too low, no helmet contact whatsoever.

How is he supposed to pull his weight off the QB in midair? Im sorry, but if that’s not a clean tackle, Im not liking the direction the NFL is heading AT ALL.

And on the other end of the spectrum, Wentz was ruled down by contact, when he wasn’t even down last week. He scrambled out of a players grasp to extend the play, and they blew the whistle. The NFL is going waaaay overboard with protecting QBs to the extreme.

90. The calls are changing, but Matthews has been hitting late and driving QBs into the ground his entire career. That’s why he gets the most calls. He was probably the subject of film studying the hits. Cheap player gettin his.

91. It’s somewhat funny as a Pats fan that other fans are now complaining about the NFL’s lack of knowledge when it comes to physics as it pertains to this full weight/roughing the passer problem.

During deflategate, they straight told you that they don’t believe in physics – yet you’re all on here now complaining about them not understanding physics?

The irony on this is priceless.