Report: Jets have reached out to Steelers about trading for Le’Veon Bell

Getty Images

Talk that the Steelers could trade unsigned franchise running back Le'Veon Bell continues, and at least one interested team has been identified.

The Jets have reached out to the Steelers about trading for Bell, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports.

What would it take to get a deal done? Presumably the Steelers wouldn’t trade Bell for anything less than the compensatory pick they would get if he leaves in free agency next year. That pick would likely be a 2020 third-round pick, so the Jets would at least have to offer something better than that.

But how much are the Jets willing to offer for a player who would come in during the season, need time to learn the playbook, cost $855,000 a week, and potentially leave in free agency in the offseason? The Jets would likely want some kind of assurance that Bell would be willing to sign a long-term deal with them after the season, but no deal could be consummated until after the season.

So getting a deal done will be tricky. But the Jets are at least interested enough to give the Steelers a call.

54 responses to “Report: Jets have reached out to Steelers about trading for Le’Veon Bell

1. A while back Bell said he wouldn’t come to the Jets regardless of the money.
    And the Jets aren’t anywhere near being a playoff team.
    So why would they want him?
    This isn’t due diligence by their GM Mike Maccagnan.
    Its a stupid move by the Jets GM, and shows he is reactionary and doesn’t have long term plans.
    Use the extra cap money for the Oline or a pass rusher, rather than RB where they are already adequate.

2. Remember, a 2020 third round comp pick is currently valued as a 2019 fourth rounder at the end of the round. Because the Jets 2019 picks will likely be no lower than in the middle of the rounds, the 2019 Jet fourth round pick would have a market value a half round above a would-be Bell comp pick. That doesn’t mean that would be enough for a trade, but let’s make sure to not pretend that the Jets would have to beat a “2019 third round pick”, because that greatly overvalues the potential comp pick.

3. So the Jets, as only the Jets would do, are screwing with Bilal Powell, maybe the most underrated RB in the NFL right now–and a damned good one, IMHO–because they think paying large and breaking their future cap space for a diva RB when they already have a solid RB is going to help the Jets get back into the playoffs…when they can’t even beat the Browns?

And they thought Tannenbaum was bad…Mccagnan is even worse. At least Tannenbaum hired the right HC. And I really do like Todd Bowles. He doesn’t deserve this nonsense!

4. Bell upon hearing the news: “Hey guys, heh heh, just kidding with the whole holdout thing. I’ll sign the tender tomorrow. K. Thx Bye”.

5. Don’t see any team desparate enough to give up two picks to rent Bell the rest of the season. Especially after he has already said he doesn’t want to carry the load.

But more importantly, Bell has to be on a roster before he can be traded.

6. Great move by the Jets(if the Steelers agree) The Dolphins- Jets rivalry has been very weak of late.

7. Tricky smicky. Jets don’t have a 2nd rounder and definitely NO to a first rounder. So, other than that, if you can, sign him to a long term deal and get it done!

8. This is more applicable if Bell were to sit out the whole year. Then Pittsburgh would have a chance to trade him to someone who could work out a long term deal.

9. Bell is a snake how could any team trust him to sign a deal with them after the season? This guy is a real PIA.

10. cost $855,000 a week, and potentially leave in free agency in the offseason?”

Like any other free agent ever?

11. If I were the Steelers, I would wait for him to come back and them have every play directed at him. I would run him till he drops. This is also coming from a Ravens fan. They may as well make up for all the time he missed.

12. As Aron Rodgers would say, RELAX! Can’t kill Mccagnen for doing his due diligence. Why is everyone jumping all over this? He’s doing his job and “kicking the tires” If he pulls the trigger than respond. Also consider the source…Manish M…enough said.

13. Robert37 says:
    September 24, 2018 at 3:27 pm
    **********************************

What rivalry is that? The one for second or third place in the division?

14. Just rescind the tag and let the pos sit out a year. See if anyone is stupid enough to offer even$5 mil in 2019.

15. what3rd says:
    September 24, 2018 at 3:42 pm

——-

That would be a good way to make sure no FA ever signs with them again. The contracts they have offered him have been laughable.

16. I love what Bell is doing! Forget all the fan boys! You are a contractor you need to do what’s best for you! To hell with the garbage team mentality that applies when your on a team and getting what you feel you deserve ie what you negotiated. If you dont get it dont sign anything! When you walk funny from multiple hits no one will care! When your 5 years past playing the NFL and you have to take care of yourself no one will care. So please fight for what you believe you should be paid! I’m not a fan of a team I dont care to promote their brand with only entertainment value as my return, but I will say this if the colts get this dude… watch out!

17. Would be a dumb move by the Jets. If they were on the cusp of being a SB contender then ok, otherwise a waste of money and/or draft picks for RB with probably 3 good years left.

18. The only teams that can afford to pay him are 1) Teams with QBs on rookie deals, and 2) Teams that do not have an expensive #1 RB already on the roster.

I think that list includes only Cleveland and the NYJ.

19. They possibly realized that Darnold might be decent but he isn’t taking over the league at this moment, but a player like Le’Veon Bell could make them pretty effective offensively while Darnold develops.

20. “carloswlassiter says:
    September 24, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I think that list includes only Cleveland and the NYJ.”

Well, Cleveland is paying Tyrod Taylor about 20 million this year to ride the pine, but I guess he is a forgone conclusion at this point.

21. thefiesty1 says:

September 24, 2018 at 3:56 pm

_________

If they rescind the tag he becomes a FA and can sign anywhere he feels. He would go to the highest paying contender at a discount show off his stats and then cash in the following year as a FA.

22. Earlier today the Bucs’ were linked with this selfish diva..please don’t Jason…let some other dumb GM make the move.

23. Packers need him badly. Crappy defense and no running game is not something that a team can make up for and make it past the first round of the playoffs…at best…no matter who is at quarterback. Unless of course GB is throwing in the towel already this year in regards to Superbowl aspirations.

24. Bell doesn’t deserve the kind of contract Gurley got, because Le’veon has proven to be unreliable off the field, and has been injury ridden. I’d think because of that track record, teams will be hesitant to offer him a significant amount of guaranteed money.

25. I have come on here in the past and attacked people who said they should trade him, because I didn’t think you could trade unsigned players. Although I’m still not sure how it’s even possible, I guess you can. So to all of those people I criticized, I apologize.

26. This guy has completely destroyed any positive image he had.
    3 years ago I knew him as a work horse back who could run, catch and block.
    2 years ago I started to hear whispers that he was going to command crazy money and that he might become a problem.
    1 year ago I was thinking this guy better break records and lead his team to the SB or he’s going to become a locker room cancer. He’s a bleeping diva.
    Now?

27. What rivalry is that? The one for second or third place in the division?

Last nights disaster with Detroit is just a preview of what is to come. When New England fails in 2018-19, The Jets and Dolphins will be there to replace them.

After Buffalos big win, who knows it might be them!!!

28. Packers need him badly.
    =====

McCarthy is in love with the forward pass.

1 time, 1 single, lonely time in 12 years, he has managed a top 10 running game… no coincidence it was 2013 the first time Rodgers broke his collar bone.

10 times in the top 10 in passing yards.

.. I’ll take Earl Thomas instead.

29. I think he’s radioactive and I wouldn’t want him on my team. They should start a expansion franchise for malcontents and he and Earl Thomas would be picks 1 and 2.
    =====

Yeah, aside from Earl showing up and playing absolutely lights out….

30. ajg314 says:
    September 24, 2018 at 3:28 pm

———

The Steelers will likely have to give the Jets a pick to take Bell and his salary off their hands…. Just like the Texans did with Ossweiller

31. James Jackson says:
    September 24, 2018 at 4:16 pm

“carloswlassiter says:
    September 24, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I think that list includes only Cleveland and the NYJ.”

—————————————————————————————-
    Good point. So it’s just the Jets.

32. Trumps Real Fixer says:
    September 24, 2018 at 4:01 pm

———-

Yeah that plan worked our really well for Kaep and Reid

33. Jets fans will livid if this happens. He’s not worth it. Too many more important positions to get better at. I’d upgrade runningback last. If you’re good in many other offensive positions, especially O line, you don’t need an expensive back to win.

34. Bell would not necessarily be a one year rental. The Jets would control his rights and have the option to tag Bell in the off-season. Yes that would be expensive but the Jets would then likely offer a long term heavily front loaded deal to replace the tag, one too good for Bell to refuse. The Jets have the cap space and won’t have to pay Darnold for several more seasons.

35. Crowell has looked pretty damn good this year and Powell is a great 1b. What that team is desperately lacking is a dominant receiver. The Jets are shopping in the right store, wrong department.

36. It’s either the Jets, Colts, or Texans. The other teams with the room to make the deal either have an established RB, a young RB they drafted, or won’t be able to compete even with Bell. If I were the Texans or Colts I’d see what the asking price is, since both could be in the hunt for a wildcard. Jets, I don’t know if Bell moves the needle enough to give up picks with the possibility of losing him after the season.

37. “Bell would not necessarily be a one year rental. The Jets would control his rights and have the option to tag Bell in the off-season.”

You really think that’s an option now? The only reason we are having this discussion is because the Steelers made the mistake of tagging him and he refuses to play. Think he will suddenly want to play for the franchise tag next year?

38. Bell has overplayed his hand. NFL owners and management are done with headcases – ONLY and UNLESS they have an immediate shot at winning a Super Bowl.

39. Robert37 says:
    September 24, 2018 at 4:41 pm
    What rivalry is that? The one for second or third place in the division?

After Buffalos big win, who knows it might be them!!!

—————-
    Or the Pats could turn out to be the Pats and start running the table like past years. Anything is possible. All I know is that the myth of the AFC east spotting the Pats 6 easy wins is not holding up so well.