Vikings asked Everson Griffen to stay away from team last week

Getty Images

More details about the events that led Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen to get a mental health evaluation over the weekend came to light on Tuesday, including the fact that the team’s concerns about his well being began before a series of incidents led to police involvement on Saturday.

According to a police report filed on Saturday, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press, Vikings executive director of player development Les Pico described Griffen as “explosive, screaming and yelling at the workplace” for some time. As a result, a letter sent to Griffen and his agent last Thursday asked him to stay away from the team until he underwent an evaluation.

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer addressed Griffen’s situation in a Tuesday press conference.

“The only thing really we’re concerned about for Everson isn’t anything to do with football. It’s about him getting better,” Zimmer said. “In the five years I’ve been here, I’ve always loved Everson, the effort that he puts out, the work that he does. The chance to count on him in game time. Even in practice. So, he’s always been a really, really good model for us and obviously he’s going through some tough times now.”

64 responses to “Vikings asked Everson Griffen to stay away from team last week

1. Its being reported he jumped out of the moving ambulance while be transported to the hospital for observations… sad story… metal health is not joke material today, or any day. I hope he finds peace. GoPackGo.

2. So, the Vikes brass thought that the best thing for him was to be at-home, alone, with a bunch of guns? Yeah, i see nothing bad coming from something like that.

3. Vikings asked Everson Griffen to stay away from team last week

They should have asked Kirk Cousins to stay away last week and play whoever the backup QB is. That was an atrocious performance. #YouVikeThat

4. He had some earlier troubles in his career
    Hope he gets the help he needs to continue to be valued asset to the Vikings.were pulling for you Emerson..

5. This situation just keeps getting worse. I hope he gets the help he clearly needs before something tragic happens. Mental health issues are no joke.

6. Typical packer naysayers. Plus what does cousins got to do with this story since it as about a key member of the Vikings defence and his mental heath! Good lord there is some stupid comments out here by some dumb people!

7. Prayers for Everson Griffen! Hopefully he seeks the help that he needs and family and friends are there to support him. Eagles fan

8. Grumpysal

How in the world could you possibly know that EG owns “a bunch of guns”?

And why do you assume alone? He has a wife and 3 children.

Your comment make Zero sense.

9. The curse of the Vikings is alive and well. Just when things couldn’t appear to be any better after week one, the wheels start to fall off. I hope that is not the case, but what happened last Sunday is baffling. Football aside, Everson has been nothing but class since joining the Vikings. Prayers and best wishes go out that he recovers irregardless of his football future..

10. Typical Vikings naysayers. If this was a Packers player Rob Brezwhatever his name is today and his 40 screen names would all be making fun of the player. Not to mention CheeseIsFattening and his 20 screen names.

PS, where is he? It’s cute how you all disappear after getting destroyed by the Bills.

11. grumpysal says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:02 pm
    ****

For starters, he doesn’t live alone. Secondly, is it common for employers to know if their employees have firearms in their homes?

12. 11 comments in and so much misinformation. This is exactly. how things get misconstrued. Dont go by the comments folks and read into it yourself for more accurate information.

Lives alone?
    Owns multiple guns?
    Moving ambulance?
    Pending divorce?

Come on folks. Do better.

13. Did the team do anything beyond sending a letter saying “Stay Away and go get help?” Seriously, with all the doctors that are at team facilities, wouldn’t the team (or shouldn’t the team) be able to help him on site???

14. Guy has gone off the rails obviously, luckily he’s getting help before he injured himself or anyone else. If this has been a pattern for weeks as reported, shouldn’t someone have intervened? Friends, family, agents/reps, employers?

15. This has nothing to do with football right now. So many people fail to see the human side to a situation like this and it’s so sad. Forget about when he’ll get his next sack or if he’ll be back for the Packers game. He’s just a strong human being that plays a brutal sport and is struggling at this moment in his life. Let’s offer love and understanding and hope he finds his way because life can be a brutal place. More brutal than football mentally and being in pain either physically or emotionally takes it’s toll on anyone. Let’s educate ourselves on the situation and then act in a positive nature. If your not doing that then you lack empathy and intelligence.

16. waynefontesismyfather says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:03 pm
    Vikings asked Everson Griffen to stay away from team last week

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

For the first point this story isn’t about Cousins, If it were it still wouldn’t be Kirks fault the Offensive line that has basically been Ignored by Draft Management (Rick Spielman), putting 90% priority on Defensive players the past 11 years.
    But t is amazing how many NEW Packer Fan Posters have different names but say mostly the same thing and posting/wordin style HMMM?
    I hope Everson gets proper treatment, I also hope as a fan that Meds givin don’t turn him into a Zombie! As a fellow human being His health is most important. Honestly the Vikings will probably end up with an 8-8 record at the best to SHAKE up the Wilfs enough to fire Spielman or force him into rebuilding the O-line with High Draft Choices. There is a reason they have 2.5 yard per carry average. The line is moving, unfortunatly it is moving BACKWARD on every snap! I love my Vikings but it is time for a shakeup! Turner quit because Spielman REFUSED his request for O line draft/Free Agent $. Johnny Flip isn’t the blazing Offensive Coach everybody predicted. Or is it the tools he has to work with? I KNEW this was going to happen. It is going to be very, very ugly and embarrassing Thursday night, and the game will be over by the mi. 2nd Quarter.

17. This is a very unfortunate situation. If he was having issues I am not sure what is the best way to handle it. The Vikes have team docs. I imagine they are not in charge of his MENTAL Health, but it is not so simple to separate mental and physical It is one thing if Griffin was acting out. I thought he does have a history of bipolar–so were they trying to manage it or hands tied for whatever reasons?
    If he was truly starting to be in crisis…they just send him home and hope for the best?

I recall an article I read about a cornerback–can’t remember his name–started to have some mental health issues–bounced around the NFL between a few teams and was noted to have very weird behavior. I think ultimately was more on the schizophrenic spectrum. He was cut and in crisis and killed his mother. Sad thing was, there were warning signs–but NFL coaches are not trained to respond or note hit–just cut and move on.

Perhaps the league does need to work more closely with players association to address not only depression as a mental health issue but other things like bipolar or schizopaffective/schizophrenia. Tons of players try to self-medicate anxiety with marijuana–which gets them suspended and in more trouble.

At least it does not seem Griffen hurt anyone–which is a miracle. But this could have been tragic or a lot worse. What can the Vikes and NFL learn from it?

18. Ain’t nothin funny about anyone from any team having mental or physical issues. Remember that Purple People

19. Tokyo I have been on every day as if you saying I’m not means everyone can’t see. LOL
    But at least you are breaking pattern a bit. The last 2 times I called you out for being filthy and minneanderthals and hometownzero you got pissed and came back at me with the same pattern.

as your tokyo alias that I was being your filty alias among others.
    as your minnesotaneanderthal alias that I am your filty alias among others.

——-
    tokyosandblaster says:
    August 2, 2018 at 1:54 pm
    If I’m being honest, I think cheeseisfattening is really the following screen names:

wiscowomenrplump
    wisco’s favorite son Jeffrey b dahmed
    filthymcnasty3
    ariani
    contra
    numba1wiscosportsfan

just to name a few.

————-
    minneanderthals says:
    September 11, 2018 at 4:32 pm
    Oh. I thought it was common knowledge that this guy is a Vikings fan with like 20 screen names. Filthy, Numba1, Cheeseisfattening, wiscowomenrplump, Jeffrey b dahmed, etc…
    They’re all one dude. One Vikings fan.

20. No real significant comment other than to say that I’m pleased this entire situation was handled in a professional manner by hotel staff and the police responding to it.
    This episode had all the earmarks of a dangerous and violent tragedy.
    And I’m just relieved that the ending has yet to be written.

21. VIP on the swole says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:28 pm
    What could go wrong? A mentally unstable superhuman with violent tendencies.
    *************
    Yes, ‘roids will do that to you.
    Sad, but true.

22. My son met him out boating with his wife and kids a few years back. He was super nice, took the time to make small talk, and posed for a photo. I hope he gets the help he needs. Mental illness and/or substance abuse does not discriminate.

23. Mental illness is real. I am not only concerned about the person dealing with it but other folks that are around them. I hate the Vikings but this is bigger than football. Get him the help/medication that he needs and when he’s ready (yes Viking fans, when he’s ready) get back out there.

24. Hopefully he gets the help he needs. This is no time for fighting between rival fan bases. People will always be more important than games.

Best wishes to Everson from Packers Nation.

25. That you, Charles Haley??? You and your five rings for two teams while unquestionably dangerous to yourself and those around you???
    I’ll leave the labels for what Charles was at that point to those of you who so love to judge your fellow man, but the man got help, serious help, and has been leading a functional relatively balanced life for a decade now.
    Personally, I hope the same can happen for Everson Griffen, whether he ever plays another down.

26. Everson’s Fragile Sanity says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:25 pm
    Ugh, the team deserted him in his desperate time of need.
    I don’t Vike that! I don’t Vike that one bit!!!
    ——————————————————————————-
    Wow. Just wow. You created that screen name. That’s pretty classless, but then you go on to mock a guy suffering from mental illness?? You must be a truly heartless individual. You should be ashamed of yourself.

27. Man, the comment section on PFT has gone way downhill. This is coming from a veteran PFT comment section trash talker (10+ years).

Sometimes it’s ok to leave the trash talking for another post…

28. This reminds me of the Justin Strzelczyk way to much. Scary stuff. If you saw the move concussion you remember the guy arguing with his wife driving off in a truck as it explodes into flames.

29. minneanderthals says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:16 pm

________

I’ve been here the whole time, commenting on most of these articles. Half my innocuous comments get deleted so there’s nothing I can do about that. Why don’t you go find some of my comments making fun of Packers for physical or mental issues. I’ll wait. Then why don’t you switch back to your “Everson’s Fragile Sanity” screen name and entertain us with some more of your hilarious banter.

30. I agree with the commenters above. This is nothing to joke about. And I hope Dimitrius Underwood, I mean Everson Griffen, gets the help he needs.

31. Some of these posts sound like they’re coming from guys who really think they know what they’re talking about. Please don’t even attempt to speculate on what the deal is here! Praying for the man and his family! Let the professionals do their job!

32. minneanderthals says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:16 pm

****

Is everything always about you and the packers?

33. Shows you how classless some people are here to crap on someone at their lowest.

Hope he gets the help he needs, always seemed like a good guy.

34. Folks, this is not the place for the fan base back and forth. Doesn’t matter that he’s a Viking, Bear or Patriot for that matter. If he is sick, all I hope is that he gets help before he hurts himself or someone else. I’m embarrassed for any of my fellow Packer fans using this to take shots at the Vikings, and I’ll apologize for them as they clearly don’t know better.

35. “Zimmer said the team will do “everything possible that we can” to help Griffen as he navigates those tough times.”

+++++++

“except have him in our presence”.

36. minneanderthals says:
    September 25, 2018 at 3:16 pm

————————————

Funny you’re still here after getting slapped around by the Redskins for the second time in three years.

37. Sounds more like he’s gotten into synthetic marijuana (aka spice, K2, etc.) Symptoms include erratic behavior and stripping clothes off because it apparently makes a body hot.