PFT’s Week Four picks

Getty Images

It’s been a rough three weeks for those of us who try to predict what will happen in NFL games. Last week, I surged to a one-game lead over MDS. But I was an abysmal 7-9, which only looks good when next to his 6-10.

For the year, look away. I’m 25-23 and he’s 24-24.

This week, we disagree on five games. For all picks, scroll down. For the weekly “Best Bets,” check out the video attached to this post.

In that category, I was 3-0 last week, and MDS was 0-3. For the year, I’m 5-3-1. He’s 3-6.

Vikings at Rams

MDS’s take: You don’t go from losing to the Bills at home one day to beating the Rams on the road four days later.

MDS’s pick: Rams 31, Vikings 17.

Florio’s take: The Rams are too good, the Vikings are too distracted, and the season is too short for Minnesota to dig out of an early hole that is destined to entail a 1-3-1 start.

Florio’s pick: Rams 30, Vikings 20.

Jets at Jaguars

MDS’s take: The Jaguars turned in an ugly performance against the Titans last week, but they should bounce back against a Jets team that hasn’t looked the same since its Week One win.

MDS’s pick: Jaguars 21, Jets 10.

Florio’s take: A pair of inconsistent teams makes this one hard to call. I’ll go with the talent and the home team.

Florio’s pick: Jaguars 16, Jets 10.

Dolphins at Patriots

MDS’s take: If the Dolphins win this game, they’re the undeniable favorites in the AFC East. Who saw that coming before the season? But I just don’t think the Patriots are ready to give up the division throne just yet.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 24, Dolphins 21.

Florio’s take: This is one of those “forget about the uniforms and focus on who’s wearing them” games. The Patriots have been physically overmatched, and it will continue at least until Julian Edelman returns. The spirit may be willing, but that’s currently not good enough.

Florio’s pick: Dolphins 23, Patriots 17.

Eagles at Titans

MDS’s take: Carson Wentz should shake off the rust and turn in a good game in his second start of the season.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 28, Titans 14.

Florio’s take: Malcolm Butler finally gets his chance to face the Eagles. And his new team has become the NFL’s new do-whatever-it-takes-to-score-more-points-than-the-opponent franchise.

Florio’s pick: Titans 20, Eagles 17.

Texans at Colts

MDS’s take: I have concerns about both Andrew Luck‘s shoulder and Deshaun Watson‘s knee, as neither player looks like he’s really 100 percent healthy. But I think the Colts have a better team overall and should win at home.

MDS’s pick: Colts 27, Texans 17.

Florio’s take: The Colts have controlled this series, and this year the Texans haven’t controlled much of anything.

Florio’s pick: Colts 20, Texans 14.

Bills at Packers

MDS’s take: Can the Bills pull off a huge upset two weeks in a row? No.

MDS’s pick: Packers 23, Bills 16.

Florio’s take: If the Packers lose this one, they should just put Aaron Rodgers on IR.

Florio’s pick: Packers 31, Bills 21.

Lions at Cowboys

MDS’s take: Are the real Lions the team that got blown out by the Jets, or the team that dominated the Patriots? I’m betting on the former.

MDS’s pick: Cowboys 24, Lions 17.

Florio’s take: It’s destined to be an up-and-down year for Dallas, and they’re due to put enough together defensively to end up doing just enough offensively to win.

Florio’s pick: Cowboys 17, Lions 13.

Buccaneers at Bears

MDS’s take: I’m a big believer in Ryan Fitzpatrick, and much less a believer in Mitchell Trubisky. I’m taking the Buccaneers in an upset.

MDS’s pick: Buccaneers 24, Bears 21.

Florio’s take: It’s an NFC Central reunion, and the Chicago defense is good enough to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick in check. The only question is whether he struggles enough to open the door for Jameis Winston.

Florio’s pick: Bears 23, Buccaneers 16.

Bengals at Falcons

MDS’s take: The Bengals are a better team than I was expecting them to be, but the Falcons should be able to move the ball against them at home.

MDS’s pick: Falcons 27, Bengals 24.

Florio’s take: Teams that have played deep into the fifth quarter this year haven’t fared well the following week. Throw in a critical mass of defensive injuries and the Bengals have a chance to swipe this one.

Florio’s pick: Bengals 27, Falcons 23.

Seahawks at Cardinals

MDS’s take: In Josh Rosen‘s first NFL start, he’s going to have a tough time against a Seahawks defense that is starting to round into form after an offseason of changes.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 17, Cardinals 10.

Florio’s take: The Seahawks still have hope for a playoff berth. The Cardinals are justing hoping to get a win or two.

Florio’s pick: Seahawks 23, Cardinals 13.

Browns at Raiders

MDS’s take: If Tyrod Taylor were still starting I’d be picking the Raiders to win, but with Baker Mayfield opening up the offense, Cleveland should move the ball against an Oakland defense that is struggling to rush the passer.

MDS’s pick: Browns 27, Raiders 20.

Florio’s take: Must resist Bakermania. Must resist Bakermania. Can’t. Resist. Baker. Mania.

Florio’s pick: Browns 27, Raiders 24.

Saints at Giants

MDS’s take: The Saints’ defense is struggling, but I just don’t see Eli Manning taking advantage. At least not enough to match Drew Brees score for score.

MDS’s pick: Saints 30, Giants 20.

Florio’s take: Playing deep into overtime could affect the Saints, but they have enough firepower to overcome the Giants.

Florio’s pick: Saints 34, Giants 23.

49ers at Chargers

MDS’s take: If Jimmy Garoppolo were starting, I’d pick the 49ers in this one. With C.J. Beathard at the helm, I’m taking the Chargers.

MDS’s pick: Chargers 21, 49ers 10.

Florio’s pick: Chargers 27, 49ers 17.

Ravens at Steelers

MDS’s take: One of the best rivalries in football should be a hard-fought game into the fourth quarter, when I think Ben Roethlisberger will make a couple more plays than Joe Flacco.

MDS’s pick: Steelers 23, Ravens 20.

Florio’s take: The Steelers dodged a bullet on Monday night. They won’t be able to duck a superior team on Sunday night.

Florio’s pick: Ravens 20, Steelers 17.

Chiefs at Broncos

MDS’s take: Case Keenum will have a big game against a suspect Chiefs defense, but Patrick Mahomes will have an even bigger game.

MDS’s pick: Chiefs 38, Broncos 31.

Florio’s take: John Elway has been looking for a John Elway. He’ll see one on Monday night, wearing a white jersey with red numbers.

Florio’s pick: Chiefs 34, Broncos 21.

84 responses to “PFT’s Week Four picks

1. I can’t disagree with the Vikings losing to the Rams. I don’t see a path to victory tonight, especially after hearing that a road team crossing two time zones has never won a Thursday night football game. I do expect a much better effort than Sunday, though.

2. I asked this last week when MDS incorrectly picked the Broncos over the Ravens. Has MDS ever picked the Ravens to win in the history of this column ?

3. Lions at Cowboys

4. The crowd is going to be insane at Gillette on Sunday. They know this is for the division, and even though they’re probably overmatched the team’s not going to give up without a fight. Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

5. No way the Titans take this one. Alshon back, Ajayi and/or Sproles back and most importantly Carson after his “shake off the rust” week now in his second game? Birds 27, Titans 12

6. Florio calls the Ravens a superior team…after they got their azz handed to them by the Bengals in week two and had to come back to win against the Broncos. I don’t see them as superior but decent.

7. ss222222 says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:40 pm

OK just what part of I have to turn my picks in before noon and I need you to post this before noon wasn’t clear. C’mon man!
    __________

Maybe you could just flip a coin. What’s the difference?

8. sixtimesbchamps says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:41 pm
    ————————————————————-
    I agree that the Bengals beat up on the Ravens, but to say that the Ravens had to “come back” against the Broncos is misleading. After the blocked punt the Ravens totally dominated the Broncos. That game wasn’t even as close as the score indicated.

9. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:26 pm
    _____________

Without citing any past Thursday night games, as they have absolutely no bearing on tonight’s contest, why do you honestly believe time zones are of any concern or factor.
    Thursday night games kickoff at the same time every single week, regardless of where they’re played or what region of the country teams are traveling from.
    This has got to be the silliest excuse I’ve ever heard of.

10. Should the Patriots lose the comments from the Patriot fan boys next week will be interesting to read. Should the Patriots pull off an upset, fanboy comments will be obnoxious, as usual.

11. MDS asked who saw the Dolphins as the AFC East favorites ummm someone has been posting that the Dolphins will win the e AFC East on this site in the comment since at least August if I remember correctly.

12. “Florio’s take: 49er backup quarterback C.J. Beathard squares off against a team his grandfather once put together. And his grandfather would have had a better plan at backup quarterback.”

That is cold-blooded, Florio.

13. Rams are feeling invincible and Vikings are feeling desperate. Both teams had a short week. Rams are down their top CBs and they’ve yet to face any adversity. I have a feeling the Vikings will blow them out tonight.

14. Good teams do not lose to the Bills at home. The Packers will beat the Bills at Lambeau.

The Vikings are not a good team/roster. The Vikings and their delusional fanbase have been fully exposed. I told Vikings fans who puffed their chests out all offseason that the truth would come out. It has.

#TruthAndRealityTour2108

#GoPackGo!

15. sixtimesbchamps says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:41 pm

9 6 Rate This
    —-

By this reasoning, how about the fact that the Steelers rushed out to a 30-10 lead and then barely held on for a 30-27 in their lone win?
    You are what your record says you are. 2-1 > 1-1-1 until proven otherwise.

16. wafflestomp says:

September 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:26 pm
    _____________

This has got to be the silliest excuse I’ve ever heard of.
    ==============================================================
    1. Check out the records of how teams fare going to the west coast on Thursday Night.
    2. BTW, the silliest excuse is packers fans blaming every loss(or tie) on the refs. EVERY SINGLE LOSS.

Careful, you’re turning into redundant performance.

17. Always giving the Packers a Pass.. Bills 21, Packers 17
    Pams will beat the Vikings, Minnesota did not find the OC they thought in DeFelipo
    They don’t have an Offense, The Defesce is on the field too long and Zimmers Defense is a power rush system that cannot work when they are on the field for 40 minutes a game.

18. wafflestomp says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:26 pm
    _____________

This has got to be the silliest excuse I’ve ever heard of.
    _______________

I suppose I could blame the officials for every loss, but you’ve already kind of cornered the market on that excuse. I’m sure all road teams are at a disadvantage on a short week, but I have no idea why teams traveling across two time zones are 0-10 on Thursday nights. All I’m saying is there is a very strong trend for Thursday night games and I don’t see the Vikings being the ones to beat it this week. They could be playing at home on a Sunday and I wouldn’t pick them to beat the Rams.

19. wafflestomp says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm
    Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:26 pm
    _____________

•••••••••••••••••••
    I think it’s obvious to everybody that the Vikings hectic schedule has been driving some of them crazy!

20. freefromwhatyouare says:
    September 27, 2018 at 1:08 pm

_____________

21. fcox91 says:

September 27, 2018 at 12:31 pm

———————-
    Meanwhile the Titans get their starting QB and their all-pro RT back. And they finally have a semi-normal week to prepare for a team, without having to worry about Blaine Gabbert or a 7-hour game delayed by the weather.

22. I kind of like the Vikings for the upset tonight.

Also to the person saying they said the Dolphins would win the AFC east since August: People say that every year. Eventually it will happen. Just like people predict the Chargers to win the AFC west. Law of averages says you’ll be right eventually.

23. harbaughtothebears says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:32 pm
    Tampa is not beating Chicago in Chicago.
    ________________________________

Wanna bet? Team with a QB who has all of 3 total TDs and 5 turnovers in 3 games, who isn’t even averaging 200 yards a game vs a team with a QB coming off 3 straight weeks of 400+ yards and at least 3 TDs. Wonder who has the edge?

24. paleandpasty says:
    September 27, 2018 at 1:05 pm
    __________________________________

Yeah and Max Kellerman has been saying Brady is going to fall off a cliff since 2014, what’s your point?

25. As a diehard Vikings fan, I agree with both the Vikings game and the Packers/Bills game. After losing badly at home to a winless team playing a rookie QB and without their starting RB, the Vikings need to reinsert themselves into the group of good teams, and the only way to do that is to beat good teams. These next two weeks will determine if they are looked at as SB contenders or not. Pretty pathetic that they didn’t upgrade the OL, and the 84 million dollar QB lacked pocket awareness, and can’t hold onto the ball.

26. Also on the Vikings vs Rams game, y’all forgetting their down their top 2 CBs? Don’t care how good that D-line is you’re not gonna be able to stop the Vikings WRs with back up corners.

27. Florio…… when will u learn to not pick against the eagles you dope? That’s why your record sucks…lol

28. It won’t be a common pick, but don’t be surprised to see the Bills beat the Packers on Sunday afternoon. Buffalo loves being the underdog and has had several upsets over the years. Watch Josh Allen continue to improve and move the offense enough to put points on the board. The newly-inspired Bills defense, led by their pass rush and lockdown secondary will frustrate Aaron Rodgers all day. Who knows if his knee will make it through the game.

Buffalo Bills 24 – Green Bay Packers 19

29. I respect ARod(in his collarbone) having a small bit of humility and honesty in his post.

His fellow Vikings fans could learn something from him👍

#TruthAndRealityTour2018

#GoPackGo!

30. “…they should just put Aaron Rodgers on IR.”

Very true.

His knee will not get better while he continues to play.

31. I’ll admit my Bills got the doors blown off of us the first week by being destroyed by Baltimore 47-3. Ouch! As tough as it was to watch that game, there is no way we’re THAT bad. After all Nate Peterman started that game. So I’ve erased that game from my mind. We lost by 11 to the Chargers, but something happened in the second half of that game that caused us to get things back on track. For a rookie Josh Allen is playing some pretty good ball and the defense has stepped it up big time. From the second half of the Chargers game to now, we’re out scoring opponents 41-3. No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills. Jerry Hughes, Matt Milano, Lorenzo Alexander and Tremaine Edmunds will be chasing a gimpy A Rod alllllll over Lambeau field on Sunday. LET’S GO!!!!!!!!

32. “I can think of nothing better for the Vikings’ fresh new blowout than playing the best team in football. I mean, the reason why they got Cousins and dumped Keenum was because they wanted to have the perennial loser (Cousins) start winning? Interesting strategy there Vikings. How is that working out for you these days? Prediction: Vikings 13, Rams 34” — Pete Baron

33. MF- you are right, Ravens are the better team but they won’t beat the Steelers this week. The Steelers have too much riding on it and the Ravens are not as buttoned-up as they need to be to show their potential power on the weekly. Hope 10-6 / 9-7 is good enough for my guys this year.

34. minneanderthals says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:02 pm

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Who is the heck is Pete Baron? Must have had to dig pretty deep to find this quote. Whoever Pete Baron is he carries zero clout.

35. “Florio’s take: 49er backup quarterback C.J. Beathard squares off against a team his grandfather once put together. And his grandfather would have had a better plan at backup quarterback.

Florio’s pick: Chargers 27, 49ers 17.”

============================

Bobby didn’t even have a plan for a starting QB, He drafted Ryan leaf, even though there were all sorts of warning signs for him not to.

36. OBP says:
    September 27, 2018 at 1:34 pm

It’s true Diggs and Thielen could huge games..or….the D-line of the Rams you mentioned cause so much pressure that Cousins will have a hard time getting them the ball. With that out of the way let’s talk about the Vikes defense that just got torched by a rookie QB and going up against the top scoring offense from last season and is averaging 34 pts per game this year. How is that going to work out?

37. diveleft says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:33 pm

minneanderthals says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:02 pm

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

________

How dare you insult me? For your information, I’m a fan contributor to a Denver Broncos blog site, so I think I’m pretty qualified to pick football games. I’m also a great fan of Minneanderthal’s work on this site. What a great football mind.

38. ss222222 says:
    September 27, 2018 at 12:40 pm

________________

Are you that dumb that you’re incapable of using whatever football logic you have to make picks on your own. Just some advice maybe you shouldn’t be picking games or hell even watching football, if you need others to make picks for you.

39. The Great Pete Baron says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:52 pm
    diveleft says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:33 pm
    minneanderthals says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:02 pm
    ÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
    ________

—-

I love it when you cats have conversations with yourself and just change screen names.

He does picks for a Denver Paper.

Calm down.

40. “a road team crossing two time zones has never won a Thursday night football game”

viking fans digging deep into their list of creative excuses to make themselves feel better after a loss, and it’s still early in the season!

41. My favorite meal is getting easier to catch every year…

Can’t wait to be all up on my favorite Burger on Sunday Night…

Love to Sizzle that Roethlis Burger with a lil Heinz Ketchup….

42. If good teams don’t lose to the Bills at home, do good teams tie teams that lose to the Bills at home at home?
    _______________________________________
    Only if the refs help the team that loses to the Bills. That being said, the Bills won’t pull 2 road upsets in a row. Packers 31 Bills 10

43. Things have gone far to easily for Mahomes and the Chiefs offense. Same could be said for the Rams. There’s always a dud coming. I can not argue with picking either because they have looked really good, but I think Vikings-Rams is a coin flip and Broncos pull the upset Monday.

44. Patriots 20 Dolphins 17 sorry but I don’t believe in the Fins at all their defense can be exploited using White, Gronk, and Gordon and their offense other than Stills and Drake is overrated. Ravens beat the Steelers 21 to 16 as the Ravens look better on defense. Finally Colts unfortunately win against the Texans 31 to 14 as Watson looks bad and so does the Texans D.

45. Take them all with a grain of salt. When the people picking talk, report and go on major networks can’t pick games straight up and be better than 500 something is wrong.

46. sasattack says:
    September 27, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Pit may indeed lose but to call the Ravens the “superior team” sounds like something a Steeler’s troll would say.
    ——————-

I can’t see Nodroolfool ever saying that.

47. The Bears and Dolphins are worse than their records. Both have benefited from weak opponents so far, so views of them at this point are distorted.

And you can never, ever, trust the Falcons.

48. minneanderthals says:
    September 27, 2018 at 3:15 pm

He does picks for a Denver Paper.

Calm down.
    ____________

Thank you for defending my honor, sir. That’s the first time I’ve heard milehighreport.com referred to as “a Denver Paper,” but I guess we could think of it that way. Thank you for using me for all of your great NFL takes.

49. wrm1230 says:
    September 27, 2018 at 4:12 pm
    You folks still think the NFL is real. How adorable.

———————

“Adorable” isn’t an adjective I see on here too often.

50. notwhoyouthinkitis says:
    September 27, 2018 at 1:58 pm
    And if the Steelers win Sunday night it is a good bet that flaccodelic won’t be here. And no, your record is not just your record. It matters what teams you have played. smh

4 7 Rate This

Great point, that was a sweet tie against the Browns. Way to co-dominate that one. Against the Browns.

PS- At no point have I claimed the Ravens are anything special this year. But at least their top guys want to be on the team.

51. Bears over Bucs – Assuming Fitz starts, I feel this can go either way but the Bears defense gives them the edge.. If JW starts, Bears with tremendous confidence…

Falcons over Bengals – Falcons average 30+ points a game, their defense just needs to step it up..

Saints over Giants – Giants o-line is none existent and the Saints are scoring with ease..

52. I’m not saying the Vikings will win tonight, I just don’t understand why it’s a no brainer the Rams are going to cruise. The Rams looked great against the Chargers, Cards, and Raiders, but who hasn’t?

53. friskypasta says:
    September 27, 2018 at 4:58 pm

________

True, those three teams are a combined 1-8, but that one win by the Chargers was against the Bills. I saw the Bills play last week and it was the best team I’ve ever seen.

54. The Lions are bad despite last week. But so are the cowboys. The cowboys can’t score and have no offense. The worst game of the week.

55. dabears7190 says:
    September 27, 2018 at 4:27 pm

I have a better record on the season than both of you, and I’m picking winners based on the spreads.
    ——————–

No one cares what their record on weekly picks is.

56. gtodriver says:
    September 27, 2018 at 1:48 pm

“…they should just put Aaron Rodgers on IR.”
    Very true.
    His knee will not get better while he continues to play.

++++++

So you’ve finally given up on your “his shoulder makes him damaged goods” nonsense? Progress. Not much, mind you, but progress should be recognized.

57. “You would actually bet that? Wow, I wouldn’t touch either team with a 10 foot pole. Having said that the Lions should win this game. Dallas is one dimensional, exactly what the Lions have been the past 10 years. How has that worked out…“

As a lifelong lions fan to say they “should” win a road game, regardless of opponent, but especially a road game against a decent defense, is crazy. The body of evidence is actually overwhelming—they should lose this game. But here’s to hoping I’m wrong.