Patriots dominate Dolphins

Getty Images

It was probably too soon to believe Miami was different. It was definitely too soon to think the New England was.

The Patriots rolled to an easy 38-7 win over the Dolphins, erasing any doubts their 1-2 start had created, and bringing new doubts to the Dolphins’ 3-0 mark entering the game.

Simply put, it was an #asexpected result if you look at long-range trends rather than being slaves to the moment.

The Patriots played the kind of defense that had not this season, limiting the Dolphins to 172 total yards. They particularly frustrated quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who was pulled in the fourth quarter once they were down by 38.

Tannehill was 11-of-20 for 100 yards, was sacked twice and picked off once before yielding to Brock Osweiler.

The Patriots also broke out of some ruts offensively. Rookie running back Sony Michel ran for 112 yards, easily his best game of the year. With the running game working, the Patriots offense was back in sync, with Tom Brady moving it around among all his targets, including twice to new wide receiver Josh Gordon.

The only concerns for the Patriots after this one will be medical. Tight end Rob Gronkowski left with an ankle injury, and both defensive tackle Adam Butler and linebacker Elandon Roberts walked gingerly off the field during the late stages.

78 responses to “Patriots dominate Dolphins

1. Facing 2 ROOKIE QB’s and 1 wannabe QB in the AFC East. No wonder the Eagles beat them in the SB, the Pat’s never have any Division competition EACH YEAR!

2. Nope it was all the refs, right CRYBABIES??

Edelman comes back Thursday

I the the talk of the Patriots demise was once again just wishful thinking

3. Congrats Lolphins, that’s the first time I’ve seen the network cut to a more competitive matchup with 10 minutes left in the third quarter.

4. Wow..talk about players that suck. Ted Larsen yep you suck. # 66 Swanson. Dude give it up your not a football player. Replacement center…please stay home next game. The entire Dolphins roster and coaching staff need to donate their game checks to whatever charity BB decides because he owns all of you and he earned those checks.

5. Typical AFC Least game where the team rolls over for the Pats. But it counts I guess.

Thoroughly unimpressed with Brady’s play this season including today. Looks every bit his age. And I bet he knows it. I say this is his last season.

6. Pats always start off slow wasn’t surprised at all about this. Just run the ball and shut down Drake and Stills then it’s game over. Hope Gronk is ok but nice to have the offense back to normal and the defense actually doing their jobs. Go Pats!

7. Spectacular job by the Patriots today, Run game looked great, defense showed up ready to play full of energy. All the mumbo jumbo about the Patriots being done can now be silenced. Just like every year the Patriots are a series foe for the AFC and especially the Afc East. Patriots made a statement today.

8. As a Fins fan, this was the kind of game both teams needed. NE saw that they are fine and Miami saw that they have loads of work to do.

Still, I’ll take 3-1. Might be a dream, but I’ll stay asleep as long as I can.

9. Good team win gotta turn the page, its a short week the guys need to rest up as much as they can and be ready to go Thursday night vs Indy.

10. 1) beat the hell out of the Dolphins..check
    2) bearing the hell out of the Yankees..in progress
    3) bruins start Thursday…..
    4) Edelman is back AND it’s the Colts first game in Foxborough since you know when?!

I’ll be screaming here in Chicago! Hopefully everyone back home in route 1 can also hear me :). Congrats to my wife’s bears today as well, DOMINATION of the bucs…..that game won’t be easy my fellow new Englanders

11. Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Really? Please enlighten us with your wish.

How did he look every bit his age.

23/35 for 274 3 tds 2 int. (One was a bad one he probably shouldn’t have throw)
    Other than that not sure what you’re talking about

12. Haters never learn. The Pats have had the same mentality since BB took over. The self proclaimed experts don’t have a clue.

13. No reason to believe this Dolphin team can’t make the playoffs. One bad game in September against a Super Bowl team in their crib does not a bust make. Go Patriots!

14. Small but important was Gordan not only making 2 nice catches with good runs after the catches, but also blocking well. The reports of him settling in well this week seem to have been true.

Now each week as he learns the route tree to more plays he will have some big chances to shine I think.

15. Flash1287 says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm
    Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Really? Please enlighten us with your wish.

How did he look every bit his age.

23/35 for 274 3 tds 2 int. (One was a bad one he probably shouldn’t have throw)
    Other than that not sure what you’re talking about

——-
    Not a wish at all. I like watching great players and I like Brady. Never said anything different. But he is 41 and he is looking it. Forget the numbers- he looked hesitant with the ball, it looks like he lost a bit of zip on it, and some of those throws and tip balls into tight coverage could have been picked. Especially in the first quarter- and maybe it turns into a different ballgame.

The decline has started.

16. I said it last week – we were going into the lions den with a
    pork chop tied around our necks!
    NE was angry & looking to stomp on someone….THEY DID
    I can’t ever recall a Belichick coached NE team that has EVER lost 3 in a row & Miami
    has only played 1 good team so far in Tennessee, so I expected a loss NOT a blowout though! My hats off to NE, they came to play – we sure didn’t & I know the season is young but to
    be the best you have to beat the best ON THE ROAD !
    Miami’s schedule has them playing 2 more tough ones – at Cleveland & home for Chicago,
    and they better get that OL squared away or Mack will have 10 sacks!
    I know the Defense is banged up but did they even show up today? Very little fire…
    not even an ember in the way they were flying around the ball the last 3 games.

17. Until watching this game, I had no idea in the first half it was a penalty on the opposing team if the Patriots dropped the ball on 3rd down. 10 points for the refs off the bat, make the game one-dimensional and it’s easy from there on out. I can’t believe the NFL allows such terrible calls in Foxboro and then I saw on the internet pictures of Goodell and Kraft hanging out at Kraft’s house and it all made sense. Yes, one can say the Dolphins were bailed out on a 3rd down but that one was an actual hold if you saw the replay because it was a TD if the db didn’t hold.

18. patriotmaleorgy says:
    September 30, 2018 at 5:23 pm

————————————————————————————–
    31 point loss and this guy thinks it was the refs’ fault. You can’t make this stuff up.

19. TruthfulDolphinsFanNotWearingBlinders says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:35 pm
    Where are all the Tannehill apologist to tell me he’s our future??
    ********************
    You had to wait 4 weeks for that. I bet you enjoyed that game that more than the last 3 because Tannehill had a stinker. Guess what, the whole team including the coaches had horror show. Not great for any Dolphin fan. Well done Patriots, you are who we Know you are.

20. Congrats finsfans for losing your Super Bowl and claim to the division, all why blaming the refs like the big baby fan base you are.

21. A solid drubbing of these frauds doesn’t really tell us much about the Patsies. The fins are a bottom 3rd of the league team. They have no QB. Not much of a defense either.

22. Im pissed off. That was an absolutely pathetic performance. The Lions had a blueprint how to beat them play press-man coverage Jam at the line don’t give receivers free release. That combined with the ref spotting the Patriots 10 points made them one-dimensional. Absolutely horrible game.

23. vaphinfan says:
    September 30, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Congrats patriot fans on winning your super bowl.
    ————————————————————————————–
    What a bizarre comment from a fan of a team that has not been to the actual Super Bowl in 4 decades. No one in NE thought this game was anything other than the next one on the schedule, though admittedly it was an opportunity to remind Dolphin fans that their team isn’t very good.

24. THill had a bad game but he was not the reason they lost. Anybody see any receiver open today? No. Anybody see Devante Parker? Oh, I forgot he must have had a tummy ache and couldn’t play…again. Anybody seen the rushing stats for Drake? Zero yards. Anybody see a hole to run through? No.Hey Gase.. Why not put Ballage in at least a little? At least he tries to run people over. The only tough guy on the O-line is Josh Sitton and btw he’s gone…..Coach should make the offensive line wear lipstick and skirts all week as a reminder of how they played.

25. tigerlilac says:
    September 30, 2018 at 5:18 pm
    Coach Cowher picked the Dolphins in an upset. Boomer made fun of him before the game.
    ——————————————————————————————

Coach caught some crap at half-time too.

26. Thoroughly unimpressed with Brady’s play this season including today

If Dorsett didn’t have the dropsies, Brady’s numbers would have been huge.

27. carloswlassiter says:
    September 30, 2018 at 6:32 pm
    vaphinfan says:
    September 30, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Congrats patriot fans on winning your super bowl.
    ————————————————————————————–
    ++++++++++++++
    True but what a bizarre comment from a fan of a team who sits 2nd in their division.

28. Chiefs, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Titans, Steelers, and a December game in Miami….a bit of a gauntlet there….miles to go. The Pats should be well tested by the end of the season, which is good come playoff time.

29. Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 5:19 pm
    Flash1287 says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm
    Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Really? Please enlighten us with your wish.

How did he look every bit his age.

23/35 for 274 3 tds 2 int. (One was a bad one he probably shouldn’t have throw)
    Other than that not sure what you’re talking about

——-

The decline has started.

——-

Oops, my bad. My sister just explaind it for me. She understands football so that helps a lot. But if you dont mind I still want to make stuff up here because rooting for my own team (Steelers) is just too depressing these days.

30. Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 8:39 pm
    Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 5:19 pm
    Flash1287 says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm
    Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Really? Please enlighten us with your wish.

How did he look every bit his age.

23/35 for 274 3 tds 2 int. (One was a bad one he probably shouldn’t have throw)
    Other than that not sure what you’re talking about

——-

The decline has started.

——-

———————————-

Its all good Braz. I can imagine thats tough for you. If your team’s articles are too hard to take then its fine to troll a better team. And I get it you choose the Patriots for that because there is no better. Its important everyone finds their peace however they can. Blessings for your sister.

31. Im not going to do the emotional roller coaster. I was not that down about the early struggles, Im not too high after this game. The season is young. Regarless of how the Patriots start Belichick spends all year dialing them in and up. Really the only takeaway from todays game is that the process has started.

32. So that’s why the Pats dealt Cooks. Sony Michel in the first round?
    Eh… deal is looking a little better now…

33. patriotmaleorgy says:
    September 30, 2018 at 7:06 pm
    carloswlassiter says:
    September 30, 2018 at 6:32 pm
    vaphinfan says:
    September 30, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Congrats patriot fans on winning your super bowl.
    ————————————————————————————–
    ++++++++++++++

——

Do you, or any intelligent person think that the division will stay that way? I mean, c’mon…

There’s only one Super Bowl the Patriots care about. It’s ok if Miami wins September. Enjoy.

34. Look this was a great victory for New England. BUT Brady so far has not looked as good this year as prior years. His throws have less velocity (and I doubt that will improve much at 41), his accuracy is clearly down, some of his decision making is questionable, and the number of bad interceptions so far is alarming. In years past he would take a sack and make an uncatchable throw when pressured and nobody open. Now he’s trying to force things a lot like how Bledsoe used to do. Some of this is correctable and having a healthy Edelman will change this. But so far 2018 has not been a very good year for him. I’m a Pats fan for life and can be honest about this.

35. skawh says:
    September 30, 2018 at 4:04 pm
    Facing 2 ROOKIE QB’s and 1 wannabe QB
    ________________________________

Are you talking about Rosen, Beathard, and Carr?

36. davew128 says:
    September 30, 2018 at 11:05 pm

==========
    Exactly. Brady was very fortunate that some of those tip balls weren’t picks or we could have seen a very different ballgame play out. The decline absolutely has begun.

Brady is not and never will be Greatest of all Time (that would be Joe Cool). Most Successful of All Time for sure.

37. So, let me get this straight…. all last week the Pats dynasty was in disarray & crumbling…. now, after this blowout it’s not as bad as people wished it to be yet Brady is now old & declining…..
    LOL….you guys need to get your PERCEIVED STORIES right….
    Brady is playing with most teams #3 & 4 WR’s….. Hogan is a number 2, Josh will be a number one but he’s still new to an entirely different program…. EDELMAN hasn’t played yet & Hollister has yet to see the field due to injuries…. Sony missed all preseason due to injury…. the players they were counting on at receiver all off season sustained major injuries & couldn’t stay on the practice field & were let go…. 2 of the starting RB’ are now on IR & the O-LINE has a NEW LT learning the system & trying to gel with the regulars…..& Brady himself took additional time off this offseason to spend with his family…… GEE, I wonder if any of those things have anything at all to do with it??!!??
    I just sit back & LAUGH at you poor lost souls & the MEDIA that tries to paint this doom & gloom narrative on how the sky is falling….. you all need to read the CHICKEN LITTLE STORY…..LOL
    I for one am ONLY WORRIED ABOUT THE FREAKIN INJURY BUG…. HE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN WORKING OVERTIME IN
    NEW ENGLAND…..Hope it’s had its fill already!!!
    GO BRADY & GO PATS!!!!

38. patriotwayrules says:
    October 1, 2018 at 2:35 am
    Hey Braz………whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

———————-/

Bras is just salty because his beloved Steelers stink. He doesn’t want to face that they are falling apart so his best way self delude his denial is to go on a different team’s site and try the old it’s not us it’s them trick. Unfortunately while he was pecking away his Steelers were getting pounded yet again so it was a rough night. And the Patriots had nothing to do with it. Everyone is beating up on the Steelers these days.

39. kenwalterholds says:
    September 30, 2018 at 9:54 pm
    So that’s why the Pats dealt Cooks. Sony Michel in the first round?
    Eh… deal is looking a little better now…

______________
    It was looking good before. The Patriots got back a pick better than they gave to get him the year before so they finished with more than they started. And they dodged the big expensive contract that was going to be needed to keep him. So basically they got paid to use him for a year.

40. superpatriotsfan says:
    October 1, 2018 at 8:51 am
    So this is the result of a game when New England has the officials in their pockets.

———————
    Aww you gonna cry? 🙂

Tee hee 🙂

41. More Cowbell says:
    October 1, 2018 at 7:13 am
    patriotwayrules says:
    October 1, 2018 at 2:35 am
    Hey Braz………whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    ———————-/
    ————————–
    No Braz is actually a Patriots fan. 🙂

Accidently outed him/herself in a post as a Patriots fan before logging off and switching accounts. Whoops!

42. Don’t be sad Patriot Hater. Your puny little weakling team may never be in OUR league nor deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as US…. but you do provide a valuable service here, a never ending source of amusement for the superior fans of the back to back AFC Champions and soon to be 6 time World Champions, winners of more Super Bowls than any NFL team, winners of more games this century than any NFL team, home of the greatest QB that ever graced an NFL football field with his presence, the greatest head coach that ever graced an NFL football field with his presence, the NFL’s Greatest Dynasty, the greatest organization in sports, the greatest fanbase in sports as proven by a recent study, the paragon of excellence in the modern NFL and if we’re being completely honest the paragon of excellence in any sport at any time. 🙂

Yup! It’s GREAT to be king!

🙂

43. Braz says:
    September 30, 2018 at 11:21 pm
    davew128 says:
    September 30, 2018 at 11:05 pm
    ==========

—————————————–
    Tom Brady is GOAT AND because of his greatness he is most successful of all time 🙂 As a Patriot fan, you should know this by now. Get with the program chief!

🙂

44. GoodellMustGo says:
    October 1, 2018 at 9:52 am
    More Cowbell says:
    October 1, 2018 at 7:13 am
    patriotwayrules says:
    October 1, 2018 at 2:35 am
    Hey Braz………whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    ———————-/
    ————————–
    No Braz is actually a Patriots fan. 🙂

——————

Lol, nice try but no I am not. Im even insulted to hear it suggested.

45. GoodellMustGo says:
    October 1, 2018 at 9:50 am
    ———————
    Aww you gonna cry? 🙂

Tee hee 🙂
    ———–

Hook…..line…and sinker….too bad I throw you back.

46. carloswlassiter says:
    October 1, 2018 at 12:38 pm
    Danny Amendola: Averaging 3 catches / 30 yards per game in 2018, no TDs, $6 million.

————