Frank Reich is “very glad” Josh McDaniels bailed on the Colts

Getty Images

The Colts hold a grudge against Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the man who reneged on a verbal deal to succeed Chuck Pagano. Well, not everyone with the Colts feel that way. The may who became the coach isn’t upset that McDaniels ultimately did an about face.

“Very glad about that,” Reich told Patriots reporters on Tuesday, two days before facing the Patriots and McDaniels. “Certainly very glad about that. It’s a funny league, strange circumstances, lot of things out of my control, so I can try to control the controllables and thankful for the opportunity that I have.”

The Colts ultimately were happy that McDaniels had a change of heart before officially arriving, given that it would have been a lot worse if McDaniels had shown up and then realized he wanted out. And it was the surprise decision of McDaniels to stiff the Colts that caused the Colts to consider Reich, who previously wasn’t on the radar screen.

25 responses to “Frank Reich is “very glad” Josh McDaniels bailed on the Colts

1. I literally laughed when reading this piece. The Colts are happy… Did they watch Frank’s coaching job this past weekend?

2. Not as much as McDaniels is. The only reason to sign on with that banner hanging, laughingstock of a franchise would be if you were “Jonesin” for a quick fix and had Irsay on speed dial.

3. terripet says:
    October 2, 2018 at 7:53 pm
    Good. All coaches who leave the cheaters never win
    ========================
    Better hope coaches who were never on the “cheaters” share the same fate.

4. Just because Mickey D failed in Denver doesn’t mean he would have in Indy! Best move on his part!

5. Time will prove that McDaniels made the best “non-move” of his life.

Patriots winning culture and organization vs. the mess that Grigson left in Indy.

6. I have no idea why mcdaniels ever took the phone call for the interview.

Ballard called and apologized about Framegate II saying he wasn’t there and knew what Grigson did with Goodell/The Ravens, so I am sure that got the ball rolling, but still.

How any Pats employee can go work for that disgusting mickey mouse franchise, is beyond me. Aas long as Irsay the 5th place trophy inducing loser owns that team, it is going to be a disaster. They got lucky with the Manning pick, but it will be a long descent back down.

And don’t think for a second they won’t run up the score for Framegate II revenge, too.

7. Good. All coaches who leave the cheaters never win

—-

I think you know quite well who actually “never wins” against the Pats….

When you’re part of a culture that never looks in the mirror to address the real problems and cowardly blame them on the team that pounds you, that’s not a winning mentality, and the results remain the same.

8. Colts glad they ended up getting the guy who wasn’t even on their radar? No wonder that ship has been sailing blind for many years.

9. McDaniels is where he belongs leave him alone. You don’t ask a meat cutter to perform open heart surgery

10. forenglishpress1 says:
    October 2, 2018 at 8:52 pm
    That whole incident smelled of Belichick behind the scene pulling strings. Just my opinion.

0 2 Rate This

——————

it was brady

11. forenglishpress1 says:
    October 2, 2018 at 8:52 pm
    =================
    And ?!?!?!?!

Clearly McDaniels made the decision. I guess I don’t really see the issue of Belichick bending McDaniels ear. Be it before or after he verbally took the job. The issue should still firmly be with MCDaniels and not Belichick. I’m at a total loss to see how or why he should be implicated … ?!?!?!?!?!?!

12. Dont mind McDaniels backing out, just didnt like him doing that after they were putting together a staff for him. Those guys must feel in between right now. McDaniels is a good play caller and I think he learned alot from his 1st HC stint which may carry over to a 2nd stint but I cant see that stint anywhere but NE. Backing out like that was unprofessional, and most teams will be reluctant to a verbal agreement now.

13. For a special Thursday night game I heard Pagano will be flown in to narrate a re-enactment of the FUNT PLAY!!!

BBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

14. terripet says:
    October 2, 2018 at 7:53 pm
    Good. All coaches who leave the cheaters never win

———————
    But in this case taking off from Indy probably increased McDaniel’s chances of winning.

15. fireroger says:
    October 2, 2018 at 10:47 pm
    forenglishpress1 says:
    October 2, 2018 at 8:52 pm
    =================
    And ?!?!?!?!

————————-
    The week McDaniels made his decision some info came out that showed the Colts were still not being truthful about Luck’s real status (and in those days they certainly were not) so McDaniels was faced with the reality that his prospective employer was not being candid with him about the scenario he would be stepping into. Any smart career minded person pulls away from any job he feels is not being honestly represented to him. But rather than Colts fans facing that reality its a whole lot easier to just blame it on the Patriots. It has worked before so why not again.

16. No dog in this fight, but I think McDaniels began to think that all was not well with Luck and decided to bail.