Kelvin Benjamin might miss Cam Newton now

Getty Images

This offseason, Bills wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin made headlines when he criticized his former teammate, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. Now he may wish he could play with Newton again.

Benjamin has started all four games for the Bills this season, but he has just seven catches for 92 yards. That would put him on pace for 28 catches and 368 yards for a full 16-game season.

During the two full seasons Benjamin played in Carolina, he averaged 68 catches and 975 yards, but Benjamin said he didn’t think he was with a quarterback who could make the most of his talents.

“I should’ve just been drafted by somebody else. I should’ve never went to Carolina,” Benjamin said. “Truly, I just think Carolina was bad for me,” Benjamin said. “If you would’ve put me with any other quarterback, let’s be real, you know what I’m saying? Any other accurate quarterback.”

In Buffalo this season, Benjamin has played with two quarterbacks, Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen. And the result is Benjamin is on pace for the worst year of his career. He may wish he could play with a quarterback like Newton again.

46 responses to “Kelvin Benjamin might miss Cam Newton now

1. He’s going to be a Josh Allen fan before this season is finished. Very tough opening schedule for a team that wasn’t sure who would be starting at QB.

2. Benjamin has dropped at least 8 passes that I have counted including some at critical points

3. Benjamin still comes out of this smelling like a rose because he said what we all know to be true Newton is terrible and playing for any other team even in a reduced role with reduced stats is still better than having all the oxygen sucked out of the locker room air the minute Newton walks in.

Yes that is a very long run on sentence but my disdain for Newton knows no punctuation.

4. In his defense, he so rarely makes an effort that it is hard to tell whether accuracy is a concern. And this year in just 4 games he has had something like 274 passes bounce off his hands. So, you know, cut him some slack.

5. I didn’t mind his message. He just isn’t the right messenger. Newton is all about himself. If he is within five yards of the end zone he always runs it. Doesn’t matter if receivers are open. He runs it because it’s all about him.

6. waynefontesismyfather says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm

———————–

Speak for yourself my man.

7. Another WR who seems to be more about his own personal stats, as opposed to say, winning games……Watched thus guy last Sunday and talk about going through the motions with half effort.

8. Kelvin… Kelvin is that you?

waynefontesismyfather says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm

9. waynefontesismyfather says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm

_______________________

Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

Cam is responding well to the new system in Carolina. He’s on pace for over 40 total TDs and 3400 passing yards. His passer rating is at the same level as his MVP year. I think at the end of the season Kelvin is going to say it’d be better to be drafted by Carolina than traded to Buffalo.

10. Trust me…Bills fans hated when he said that, and we are no fans of Benjamin. Yes, the team is awful at the moment and our QB is starting at least a year before being ready to start, but his lack of effort and awful drops at key moments have helped to sink the ship this season.

I’m sure he’s eating his words right now, along with a whopper and a side of fries.

11. brownoholic says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:21 pm

He also misses the McRib and Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Cherry Garcia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In all fairness, everybody misses the McRib.

More seriously…

I was not at all impressed with Benjamin this past Sunday. Not just his performance but also his attitude; especially his attitude, if I’m being 100% truthful. He seemed to be chirping and looking for trouble right from the opening whistle. IIRC, he was yapping and poking on the first or second play of the game.

12. Seriously? The guy is a bum, can’t catch, can’t get open. Wouldn’t matter who was throwing the ball to him.

13. Never paid much attention to this guy, but watched the whole game Sunday. What a bum. Half hearted effort, talking smack, took himself out of the game multiple times looking winded.

14. Bills should have never started Peterman. Peterman is garbage. Josh Allen is a rookie but he will end up the best QB of this rookie QB class. Although that might not be saying much. He was right about Newton being inaccurate, but he is probably also overrating himself. I don’t think Benjamin really has the skills of a top notch WR. He’s a decent #2 on a good team.

15. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    October 2, 2018 at 2:55 pm

brownoholic says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:21 pm

He also misses the McRib and Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Cherry Garcia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In all fairness, everybody misses the McRib.

More seriously…

————–
    Seriously, I was waiting for Benjamin to get called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct a couple times, like when he stuck his fingers in a guys facemask. Stupid stuff after the whistle is the last thing we need.

16. I see a few Cam haters showed up. Is Cam the most accurate passer in years past? No he wasn’t but half of that equation is the receivers. They got rid of Steve Smith whose career was revived because of Cam Newton. Got rid of Lafell and until this year, not a very strong receiver core, I still don’t think Devin Funchess, the other half of the big slow receivers that included Benjamin. The Panthers have also not always had a good O-line which is a surprise this year. It also had to do with Cam not being Mr. Checkdown which he is getting better at with McCaffery. I think after three games Cam’s completion percentage is around 69 %. Benjamin should have kept his mouth shut, on and off the field.

17. billsmafiasalways says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:29 pm
    ———
    No kidding!! He’s not as great as he thinks. He also has no ambition to actually get a ball if a defender is anywhere near him! If not sent into his numbers with defenders only behind him then he doesn’t bother fighting for it. And even then has dropped some right in his hands. What a stupid article. It should have been I bet Cam doesn’t miss Kelvin now!

18. billsmafiasalways says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:29 pm
    ———

19. On Sunday he dropped what would have been an easy first down, and what does help? Gets in the DBs face, starts smack talking him, and tries to poke out his eye. What a bum.

20. On Sunday he dropped what would have been an easy first down, and what does he do? Gets in the DBs face, starts smack talking him, and tries to poke out his eye. What a bum.

21. He must be a Patriot Fan cause FACT IS the Patriots have never won against a Cam Newton lead NFL team

waynefontesismyfather says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm

22. Benjamin got what he deserved. Allen should have been penalized for two blatant “flops”. Coach needs to teach those boys how to play like men.

23. scottytreid says:
    October 2, 2018 at 4:25 pm

—————————————————————————————–

Scotty I was with you until you mentioned Lafell better known as LaDrop when he was a Panther!! He didnt start making catches until he got with the Patriots and thats only because it was a WAKE UP call that dude either you catch or you’re gone!

24. All you idiots saying Cam is terrible ….PLEASE tell me the qb you root for…Cam has an MVP and SB visit in his resume with most tds by any qb in history…unless you are rooting for brees,brady or rodgers he probably has better combined stats than your qb

25. All you idiots saying Cam is terrible ….PLEASE tell me the qb you root for…Cam has an MVP and SB visit in his resume with the most rushing tds by any qb in history…unless you are rooting for brees,brady or rodgers he probably has better combined stats than your qb

26. waynefontesismyfather says:
    October 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t feel strongly about Cam either way but that line is Internet gold.

27. I watched him the past two games. He rarely creates any separation and… he better hope Allen stops forcing hospital balls to him across the middle. He took a pretty good shot this weekend I was thinking “bet you wish Cam was throwing the ball to you now.”

28. Kelvin Benjamin sucked in Carolina and Cam made him look better than he was. It’s no coincidence that Cam had his best year in 2015 with Benjamin on injured reserve.

29. When the Panthers got rid of Kelvin it reminded me of when they got rid of Steve Smith, minus the talent, drive, skill, toughness, playmaking ability, route running, determination, work ethic, and production.