Mike Tomlin unhappy with officiating, says it has to “get better”

Getty Images

Mike Tomlin is a member of the league’s competition committee. He isn’t happy with the officiating Sunday or what he has seen from officials this season.

The Steelers coach was asked about Bud Dupree‘s two facemask penalties and seemed to agree with those.

“But some of the other stuff, man, is a joke,” Tomlin said, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN. “We’ve got to get better as a National Football League. Man, these penalties are costing people games and jobs. We’ve got to get them correct. And so I’m pissed about it, to be quite honest with you. But that’s all I’m going to say on it.”

After the Steelers’ victory over Tampa Bay in Week Three featured 22 penalties between the teams, including four roughing the passer penalties, Tomlin expressed concern that the game is no longer fun to watch because of all the penalties.

On Sunday, the Steelers and Falcons each had seven penalties. Steelers linebackers T.J. Watt and Jon Bostic each had a flag they questioned.

28 responses to “Mike Tomlin unhappy with officiating, says it has to “get better”

1. Funny, MT never complains when the Steelers lose. But he’s much more vocal after a victory, even a big one like this one. I guess he doesn’t want to sound sour grapes.

The bigger question after seeing Conner have another big all purpose day is how much are the running backs a function of having three linemen go to the Pro Bowl last year and tight ends who block and catch and a HOFer QB?

2. The other 31 teams in the league have to deal with the same joke calls. Not an excuse for being the highest penalized team in the league.

3. I’ve watched the sport for 4 decades so to suggest I’ll stop watching completely isn’t likely. However, I’ve never cared less than I do right now. It is turning into a joke. The NFL should really be embarrassed by the brutal calls made each and every Sunday.

4. gpclaw says:
    October 7, 2018 at 6:31 pm

________________________________

The Steelers seem to be getting more than their fair share, though.

There were at least three, maybe four incorrect 15-yard penalties called on the Steelers in the Tampa Bay game alone. Another two today. That still leaves three games unaccounted for.

5. He’s not wrong exactly, but at the same time his team still gets more calls in their favor and gets away with more than anybody else in the league, so maybe shut up idiot

6. The penalties are indicative of the unprofessional and undisciplined nature of the football team. The penalties are there. The referees this year aren’t blind, stupid, or named Hockuli or Triplette. And Jerome Boogers didn’t do the game either.

7. I didn’t hear Tomlin complaining last Monday night when someone literally brushed roethlisbergers helmet and he collapsed in heap for fiftepen yards and first down.

8. I think it is more than just officials. It’s part rules and part the officials calling the rules. However as a fan today flipping between games it is hard to watch on one channel WR’s getting mugged on every pass play, then turn to a different channel and see two guys (DB and WR)both hand-checking and the DB get flagged. You could say the same thing for holding and roughing the passer penalties. This issue has many layers and there has to become a time where fans start leaving the game.

9. mjimmym says:
    October 7, 2018 at 7:19 pm

_______________________________________

lol… that was the only legitimate call of the four roughing the passer penalty calls in that game. It wasn’t brush. It was a forcible blow to the head. The other roughing calls in that game were brutal, but that one was correct.

10. The Watt penalty today was an absolute joke. Having said that, this Steeler team lacks discipline at times.
    In 5 years from now, I don’t think you will be allowed to hit the QB period!!! I mean, how is a defender, running and then hitting someone at full speed, supposed to twist their body so that a QB isn’t injured? Yes, the Rodgers’ injury last year ruined their season but that is part of a contact sport.

11. Cryin Mike Tomlin can’t teach his players to play dirty anymore and get away with it. Cryin Mike Tomlin is mad because he is in last place and can’t beat the Browns. Cryin Mike Tomlin is mad because his angry face is laughable. Cryin Mike Tomlin is going to be cryin even more after the Bengals embarrass them next week. Watch out Ben…55 is coming for you.

12. Leaders with integrity would never allow the NFL to devolve like this.

Unfortunately we have 32 Owners who aren’t Leaders.

13. No your teams undisciplined play is a joke. You have to get better st coach the rules to the players instead of letting them run around out of control. Take some accountability you hired cheerleader.

14. Ironic, because Steeler fans say they are unhappy with Tomlin’s coaching, and it needs to “get better”. Personally I like seeing them in the Karma basement.

15. hbk314
    Oct 7, 2018, 8:06 PM EDT
    mjimmym says:
    October 7, 2018 at 7:19 pm

_______________________________________

You mean the play where Roethlisberger himself came out and said that he sold it to make sure he got a flag. Even when the player comes out and tells you what happened you still don’t believe it. But I’m sure you know what happened on that play better than Roethlisberger did

16. boyso3 says:
    October 8, 2018 at 6:20 am

_______________________________________________

What’s your point?

It was a forcible blow to head. Period. It was a foul. Period.

Whether or not he sold it is irrelevant. The correct call was made.

17. gmen32 says:
    October 7, 2018 at 6:32 pm
    ____________________________________________
    Totally agree with you. The games are getting so hard to watch that I basically watch my team and then go on to something else…I’ll check the scores once in awhile, but I don’t linger and watch as much as I used to.

18. Yes, it is bad. Very bad. Very inconsistent and it sure looks like the refs are steering the outcomes.