Philadelphia FOX affiliate cut off Panthers-Giants before final field goal

Getty Images

Football fans in Philadelphia were unhappy yesterday, and not just because the Eagles lost.

In the early afternoon window, the local FOX affiliate showed the Panthers-Giants game. That turned out to be a great game that the Panthers won on a last-second 63-yard field goal. But the viewers in Philadelphia didn’t get to see it.

Instead, FOX cut off the end of the game to show two minutes of commercials, followed by the introduction to the Eagles-Vikings game. Here’s a video of exactly what Philadelphia fans saw.

“At the end of every game window there’s a 2 minute local break. Because it’s local it’s not really our time to manipulate,” FOX Sports told Philly.com in a statement. “We pulled out at the last possible moment to get that break in and still make it to kickoff of the Eagles game.”

In other words, FOX says the NFL’s rules about local affiliates televising every second of the local teams’ games required them to do what they did. But if that’s the case, the NFL’s rules need to change. The reality is, televising football isn’t like televising pre-taped scripted entertainment. Things change on the fly. Sometimes games go into overtime — and extra commercials are shown. Sometimes games run long and the programming scheduled to air afterward has to start later. The NFL should work with the networks to provide more flexibility so that a game in its final seconds, like Panthers-Giants was, doesn’t get taken off the air. If the NFL and its partners can show additional commercials when a game goes into overtime, it can figure out a way to miss a commercial to allow fans to see the ending of a great game. Or show the commercials in a split screen with the ending of the game — which would probably benefit the advertisers because viewers won’t channel surf if there’s an exciting ending of a game on at the same time as the commercial.

And if the NFL is going to mandate cutting away from a game in progress, how about giving viewers a warning on the screen a few seconds beforehand? That would give them time to look for another way to see the ending, such as turning the TV to Red Zone Channel.

There’s no better time to sit at home and watch TV than Sunday afternoons during football season. But there are simple steps the NFL could take to make the experience even better. And one of those steps is allowing fans to finish watching close games.

69 responses to “Philadelphia FOX affiliate cut off Panthers-Giants before final field goal

1. Showing two minutes commercials is infuriating but I’d be OK with missing the Giants-Panthers ending if it went straight to the Eagles game. I wouldn’t want to miss the start of my local team’s game for two out of town teams no matter how good a game it is. They’re not my teams.

2. Between that and the horrible officiating
    it was very tough to watch football yesterday.

3. The major networks have to appease the local affiliates for a number of reasons and do so in ways that most would be surprised by, such as the local affiliates having a say on what shows are accepted by the networks and what the content on those shows is as the seasons go on.

In this case though I don’t see what the harm of starting a game a few minutes late for television is and then if they go into overtime having the local games switch before the start of OT as has always been the case but doing so at a natural break in the game. This only affects a handful of games a year and keeps everyone with money at stake happy and the fans don’t miss something incredible for commercials.

4. >I’ll bet the Philly fans don’t really give a crap about missing the end of the Fiants game. They want their game. Typical media over-reaction.

Thats bull. That was a good game, and it’s ridiculous that the game just cut away. Even if it went directly to kick off, I’m supposed to care more about my team’s touchback into the end zone than the last 6 seconds of a game i spend 3+ hours watching?

5. In the local market it only makes sense to show the local game.

Plenty of ways to find what happened in the other games.

6. As an Eagles fan, trust me that people would’ve gone ape sh*t if they DIDN’T show the start of the Eagles game. Literally no home fan cares about seeing the end of another team’s game, dramatic or not. NO ONE. Especially in Philly.

7. Dude, this has been happening for YEARS… this isn’t new.

It’s worse when you are actually in NY and they cut away from good games to show you the Giants or Jets.

8. It wasn’t just in Philly. I’m much closer to Charlotte and they screwed us too. I was trying to figure out with 6 seconds to go and no timeouts left for either team why/how they went to a commercial? I had the game Directv mix channel on my secondary TV and my main TV on FOX still had the commercials. Then I looked up and noticed on the Directv feed OBJ making that loser face and saw the score change, went nuts and started sending texts to people that didn’t know what had happened at all. That game wore me out and to miss the payoff is ridiculous.

9. I’ve been complaining about this for years, morons. Thankfully I have Redzone now, so commercials aren’t even an issue.

10. So you’re saying that Eagles fans, the majority of those local fans watching Fox, should have been forced to miss kickoff of the Eagles game to watch part of a Panthers game? I promise you, missing part of our home team’s game for that would have been a colossal mistake.

11. It was awful and stupid for fans of sport. It cut off in Atlanta too and I have Sunday Ticket. I watched the whole game on the Ticket except the last couple of minutes because it then was moved to the local broadcast…and simultaneously blacked out on the Ticket. When the local affiliate switched away from the final FG I thought I could at least watch the ending on the Ticket…nope still blacked out!!! WTF am I paying for???!

12. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    October 8, 2018 at 9:59 am

Given that the field goal shouldn’t have even occurred in the first place, it was just the same.
    ————————————————————————————–
    At the end of the year you can tell everyone the Giants should really be 5-11 instead of 4-12.

13. I’ll bet the Philly fans don’t really give a crap about missing the end of the Fiants game. They want their game. Typical media over-reaction.
    —————–
    Absolutely. It’s far worse for fans to miss the opening of their home team’s game in the late window when the early game runs long–which has happened a LOT the past few years.

14. So what? As an Eagles fans living on the other side of the country, I was worried I would miss the beginning of the game and be blacked out on Sunday Ticket, which has happened numerous times before. Eagles fans don;t care about the Giants-Panthers game, no matter how close the game was and even despite that they are the Eagles next two opponents.

15. Isn’t it great to fork over half your paycheck to cable TV for the privilege of watching commercials and missing the ending to the football game you’ve been watching for three 3 hours? What a joke.

16. In my region, the Browns-Ravens featured the oddest cutaway I’ve ever seen. They’d joined the game already in OT for some “extra coverage” but then had to cut away right around the 2 minute mark. They cut back to James Brown and Company in the studio who proceeded to give play-by-play and show replays immediately after the plays had occurred. Apparently, THAT was just fine by NFL rules.

17. Fox 29 has unbreakable rule that they have to show a commercial for Good Day Philadelphia host Mike Jerrick in a Halloween outfit before all Eagles games in October. There is no way they can show the end of a football game to preempt that commercial.

18. As with almost everything else in America, money itself replaces that which it money is supposed to bring us.

More football? First, more commercials.

More justice? First, more lawyers.

More employment? First, more capital.

What ever happened to things having a value that cannot be quantified and monetized?

19. azvikefan says:
    October 8, 2018 at 10:05 am

———————

How is horrible management, corruption, greed, constant lying, different application of rules and then treating the customer like an idiot, a “typical media overreaction”?

Real fans just want to watch a football game without so much drama tied to it.

Is it this hard to understand?

20. When CBS cuts away in NY, like they did 2 weeks ago during an OT game, you can switch to channel 3 which is a New England channel that does not cut away. Everyone in eastern NY (especially Long Island) knows the channel 3 trick.

21. They were contractually obligated to show a game in a home market from beginning to end. Had they delayed showing it and there was a kickoff return for a touchdown people would be complaining about that. Can’t win.

22. Same thing happened to the Bengals Falcons game they were showing me in the NY area last week. Not that I’m a fan of either team, but they cut away during the final drive with about 30 seconds left so I missed the last second go ahead TD to AJ Green. After devoting an hour or two of your Sunday to a game you deserve to see the conclusion when it is that close.

23. I would have been mad if I’d have missed the beginning of the Eagles games to see the end of a game I didn’t really care about. I would guess the number of Eagles fans who care more about seeing the end of NY-Carolina is pretty close to, or exactly, zero.

24. How about spreading the time between the early games and the afternoon games so that there isn’t as much overlap at all. And maybe even consider scheduling more afternoon games. I’ve never understood the 10 early games and 2 or 3 afternoon game schedules. Give the people at home more afternoon viewing options. They are paying a lot for the service, but the service is still stuck in the last millennium.

25. I believe Florio is completely wrong on this.

I worked at local television stations for 20 years.
    We would get calls when the local team was NOT on because something else was.

Fox Philly would have been SWAMPED with MORE callers complaining about the Eagles NOT being on.

26. Chunk Life says:
    October 8, 2018 at 10:55 am
    —————-

This was the game I was talking about. In NYC metro area, CBS is on 2 and 3. 2 is a NY station, so it’s obligated. 3 is from Hartford or New Haven so it’s not obligated to a NY game.

I made sure the game was also on channel 3, anticipating the cut away. I anticipated the cut away. When it happened, I instantly switched to 3 and saw the end. (It’s not in HD, but I still got to see the end of the game).

If you can’t get channel 3 because you live in western NY, then that is what it is.

27. badboysgetspanked says:
    October 8, 2018 at 10:56 am
    Sorry fanboys but Goodell does not control the tv network commercial scheduling.

—————————-

Um, he’s the commissioner of the league and overseas the CBA and TV contracts. Yes.

He DOES CONTROL IT. He also manipulates games with officials to drive ratings.

Have you been in a coma or just a naive MIllennial?

They’re running commercials that were contracted, and MORE of them for attempts are more revenue and to show advertisers the numbers are there for the next CBA package in 2020.

At the EXPENSE of the NFL FAN.

Get it?

And you’re wondering why ratings are plummeting?

28. Im ok with that. Last week – CBS showed extended coverage of a game I cared nothing about, rather than showing the start of the Saints game. I missed the ENTIRE first quarter because of that stupid overtime. I also have NFL Sunday Ticket – which had the Saints game blacked out of course. Someone has to put 2 and 2 together and say “Hey, if we’re not going to switch the game we’re scheduled to show, we should make sure it’s viewable in Sunday Ticket until the national coverage commences.”

There have to be people smarter than me up there, right?

29. In the DMV(Northern VA, DC, Lower MD) the ending of the game was shown. Luckily the Redskins had No game yesterday. Since I had no dog on the fight watching the ending was nice and loved seeing a reliable kicker and how undervalued Gano is in comparison to others. Made me think of Mike Vanderjact(circa 2006) while with the Colts. Vanderjagt missed a 46-yarder wide right during the playoffs. Then stated” Why depend on my leg now?They have Not been depending on me.” Referring to Manning and the offense had gotten through the season on the high powered offense.

30. Just as bad was that nonsense on the other network where they can’t show us the OT game live, but can tell us what happens and then show the play when it isn’t live.

How stupid is that?

31. Eagle fans would have been happy if FOX cut off the first half of the Eagles -Vikings game.

32. SMH. The NFL controls, to a degree, who they will accept as advertising sponsors. The advertising scheduling is left largely to the the the networks which is why they pay the NFL mega bucks. GET IT?

33. That was one great football moment. The entire country should have been able to see it. Not a fan of either team by a long shot,but I love to see history being made,(or tied with Tom Dempsey) in this case.

34. This happens all the time in Seattle.

Why would anybody in the local markets care??

As if you’re not going to see the highlights dozens of times (if you care to)

35. Fo you amateur historians who feel that you must inform us of things that we already know: Yes, we all remember the Heidi game or have heard of it. Every single one of us. Please don’t waste our and your time posting about it.

36. I wasn’t watching that game, but I’ve had other issues with how these things are handled.

Week before last I was watching the Bengals/Falcons game. When it ended, I expected to see the afternoon game between the Saints and the Giants (which is the one I was waiting for).

Instead of showing the Saints game, they switched to the Colts/Houston game, which was already in OT and drug on so long that I missed the entire first quarter of the Saints game.

Why would they switch to a game between two losing teams for audiences that had already missed the first 4 quarters of it rather than showing the regularly scheduled game?

37. This happens all the time out here on the west coast. Almost every week theyll cut off the early games to switch over to niner and raider games due to contractual obligations. I dont get why theres an article about it.

38. That’s nothing compared to Hulu cutting off the last 2 minutes of the Super Bowl last year. Surprised more hasn’t been made of that. It was not isolated to my region either as there were many comments on the web immediately afterward from various locations, and then the story disappeared.

39. That’s nothing new. Here in Cowboy county we routinely got cut off from early games to show a 3:00 Dallas game. It’s been like that for the past 30 years. Contractual obligations in “home” markets. Nothing new.

40. Actually could have seen it. Just tune to Red Zone. They would have simultaneously show kick-off in Philly and Panthers driving for win.

41. Who wants to see a field goal anyway? Most boring play besides a touchback! I flip from Fox to CBS and back whenever a commercial comes on. All the advertisers are wasting their money on me! It’s frustrating when they both run commercials at the same time.

42. Get the Red Zone channel. Best $12/month you’ll spend. Even if you don’t like or play fantasy football, the channel makes Sundays very entertaining and they always show bonus coverage of games like this one.

43. tylawspick6 says:
    October 8, 2018 at 10:48 am
    azvikefan says:
    October 8, 2018 at 10:05 am

———————

Real fans just want to watch a football game without so much drama tied to it.

Is it this hard to understand

//////////////////////////

Registering about a 100 on the tension meter there bud.

44. cardinealsfan20 says:
    October 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm

///////////////////////////

I remember when they switched from the end of the game over to the Heidi movie. It was called the Heidi game thereafter. Good times Goodtimes.