NFL is monitoring the lawsuits against Antonio Brown

AP

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown is facing multiple lawsuits, including troubling allegations that he threw furniture and other items from a 14th-floor balcony earlier this year in Florida. The league has taken notice.

Via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the NFL is keeping tabs on the litigation.

“We are aware of and will continue to monitor the civil suits,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Bouchette on Wednesday.

Both of the lawsuits arise from an incident that allegedly occurred in April at the Mansions at Acqualina in Sunny Isle Beach, Fla. One seeks compensation for alleged damage to the $10 million apartment that he rented for six months, and the other states claims arising from Brown’s alleged tossing from a significant height of large items that nearly hit a toddler and his grandfather.

“Apparently when Mr. Brown got upset he started throwing things in the apartment and the coffee table glass was broken, along with a few other minor objects,” the police report reads, via Bouchette. “He also threw some objects from the balcony into the pool area, causing minor damage there as well.”

Police didn’t charge Brown, but the league can impose discipline on a player even in the absence of criminal charges.

Brown apparently became upset because (as he told police) someone had stolen a gun and $80,000 in cash from the apartment.

The lawsuits become the latest evidence suggesting that Brown, who always seems to be smiling when anyone is watching, has another side that entails little if any smiling. Last month, he threatened an ESPN reporter who had written a balanced look at Brown’s life away from football, and it’s quite possible that there’s a real and troubling disconnect between his public and private persona.

If so, Brown had been able to keep the private side private for the first eight years of his career. That is now changing. Even if the NFL never takes any action against him, these developments could make one of the more visible NFL players from a marketing standpoint considerably less marketable.

76 responses to “NFL is monitoring the lawsuits against Antonio Brown

1. Like many of us predicted 2 years ago, the Steelers have turned into a walking, ticking time bomb of an organization. – Lead by Mike Tomlin.

My guess is another dozen of these stories, even the very patient Rooney’s, and the great owners will have enough with all and clean house.

Probably by 2020.

2. Here comes the Tomlin has no control posts…

There was a killer in New England playing for one of the most strict coaches in league history, let’s just forget about that.

3. If he played for NE he would be indefinitely suspended and Pats would lose a first rounder. Cheating Goodell is at again! Always holding the Steelers hand

4. Antonio Brown is a big turd for doing what he did, he is soooooooo lucky that child was not injured or God forbid fatally injured.

I hope he gets sued to the max and charged, then maybe he will think twice before doing any more dumb things.

I have said it before and i will say it again, NFL players are the dumbest athletes in all of professional sports, they have this sense of entitlement that they can do whatever they want and get away with it……SMH!

5. In fairness to Antonio Brown, he probably just dropped all those things because someone was passing them to him.

6. Why isn’t he getting the Elliot treatment? The police even said they didn’t believe his accuser. The accusations against Brown look more legitimate.

7. tylawspick6 says:
    October 10, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    +++
    Does everything that is not related to the Patriots have to be about the Patriots?

8. …….ESPN writer who had written a balanced look at Brown’s life away from football

Sounds like that’s an opinion….obviously not shared by Brown

9. I get that Brown is rich in a way that I will probably never understand, but what possible reason would someone have for keeping $80,000 in CASH on hand?

10. coloradocowboy says:
    October 10, 2018 at 7:08 pm

2 0 Rate This

——————-

read up and the creepy and criminal private life of marvin harrison that goodell covered up

these guys come from very questionable backgrounds

11. Cut the guy some slack.

Doesn’t everyone like to throw furniture from the 14th floor at toddlers?

What could be more fun???

12. I’m pretty sure that leaving 80k and an unsecured weapon lying around your apartment qualifies you as being not-so-smart.

13. How can you file a suit for something almost hitting you?

Emotional stress?…now you fear objects falling from the sky?

14. 80k and a gun. Did someone steal his bling too? No wait, he was wearing that at the time. What a fool this guy is.

15. Antonio Brown had 13 td receptions in 2014 alone. Thielen has 13 in his career.

Better person? Certainly probably. Better player? that requires a longer period of peak performance.

16. Throwing furniture off the 14th floor? Yeah he deserves that lawsuit. Shocked that he had $80k in the room? Not really. I’m pretty sure million and billionaires don’t stop off at the ATM at the corner store and banks aren’t open 24-7. If he’s licensed to carry, don’t care about the gun possession. If I’m renting a $10 million dollar apartment and someone steals said items, I’d be mad too. I doubt he’s paying $450 a month for it and probably expected security at such an expensive place to be better than what it was. pay for the damages. settle that $30k suit and find a better place to spend your summer.

17. **Raises Hand**

Um, as a owner of a concealed carry permit, if a hand gun is stolen, the police consider that a HUGE deal. If a gun was really stolen (legally owned firearm) this would ahve dominated the summer NFL headlines.

18. tylawspick6 says:
    October 10, 2018 at 6:44 pm

====================================================================

Good grief man, give it a rest

19. “I get that Brown is rich in a way that I will probably never understand, but what possible reason would someone have for keeping $80,000 in CASH on hand?”

Nothing legal.

20. Stiller43
    Oct 10, 2018, 7:31 PM EDT
    How can you file a suit for something almost hitting you?

Emotional stress?…now you fear objects falling from the sky?

21. Stiller43 says:
    October 10, 2018 at 7:31 pm
    How can you file a suit for something almost hitting you?

Emotional stress?…now you fear objects falling from the sky?

——————–

Ever hear the term ‘reckless endangerment’?

22. i could be wrong,but if you got 80k cash and a gun laying around in your apartment,youre probably up to some shady stuff….

23. Your sport creates violent soldiers who are taught to be relentless and ruthless and mean and brutal. Then you are surprised they can’t just shut it off and be nice, calm civilians off the field? I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more actually.

24. “You have to actually read the article before you comment. He’s being sued for damages by the owner of the property. The part about the toddler and grandfather was mentioned simply because they were almost struck by the object he threw out the window.”

Actually Brown is facing two separate lawsuits for this one incident. One is by the owner for the property damage. The other is by the guardian of a 2-year old who claims that, after the incident in which he was nearly hit by the furniture, the 2-year old is experiencing anxiety and has trouble sleeping.

25. There are two lawsuits: one from the owner and one from the child’s family.

He is an idiot for keeping a gun and $80k just lying around. That is a big problem. Nothing will happen here because he is a Steeler. The Rooney-Mara hegemony won’t allow Goodell to punish him.

26. Maybe I’m wrong or I have mis-read some shuffled-under-the-rug article from a while ago, but Patriots TE Hernandez accused of murder and found guilty several years ago – wasn’t his verdict reversed after his suicide? And was’t this the reason for his girl friend’s receiving money from his contract and signing bonus? Enlighten me, please.

27. I am a huge Steelers fan but I think this guy is wearing out his welcome. His diva antics are getting old. Trade him and Bell and get a load of draft picks to improve the defense. But first get rid of Tomlin so those draft picks don’t get wasted.

28. I think the most important thing is that we get Antonio Brown in for a steroid test, a 180 pound guy tossing couches off balconies sounds more suspect that $80,000 and a gun. And to the people that can’t understand the $80,000 cash in his apt, I’d presume it was just spending money. $80,000 to Antonio Brown is the equivalent of $250 cash to the avg man making $50,000 a year. You might want to go out for a night on the town, that might run you $100, Antonio Brown goes out for a night on the town, he’s spending $10,000 on a VIP section and $1,500 a bottle. It sounds crazy but that’s the type of life these guys live. As opposed to being enraged with jelaousy, I’m working my butt off so I can one day have the wherewithal to spend $10,000 and not blink.

29. 1 The league is not going to punish him for throwing something out his window and not hitting someone and not trying to hit someone.

2 The league is not going to punish him for possibly damaging his rented apartment.

Get a grip people.

30. There was a killer in New England playing for one of the most strict coaches in league history,
    ——
    And the NFL and all the networks still praise him!

31. campcouch says:
    October 10, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Ahh, pretty sure it was, and evidently still is by low lifes, talked about. NE cut his a$$ instantly. They aren’t a protected team like the Steelers who can deflate balls on the sideline during a game and it’s NDB.

And I don’t care how much he makes, keeping 89k in your apartment proves idiocy or hubris or both. Chris Rock explained why you bring your new TV in at night.

32. They never punish him for his childish transgressions…and all that does is reinforces the idea he can get away with it…

33. Here’s my opinion of all the NFL players now. I am sick of many of them and I am sick of the rules changes and the officials making a mockery of the game I grew up loving.
    I am a Packers fan and started rooting for them in 1960. I used to get very upset when they would lose a game. Now, it no longer bothers me. Why? because the NFL isn’t what it used to be and neither are the players. At least to me.
    I never thought I’d say this, but I really don’t care anymore. I don’t even care if I watch the games anymore, either. And if the Packers lose, I really don’t care all that much anymore. I just don’t have the same passion for them or the NFL that I once had.
    So — with Antonio Brown, I only care about one thing. I finally gave in and joined a Fantasy Football League for the fun of it made up of mostly guys I used to work with, and my top receiver is Antonio Brown. So all I care about is how he does on Sundays to help my Fantasy team. I couldn’t care less how he acts on the field or the sidelines or at home, and I hope the league doesn’t suspend him because I need him to score points for me. He can be a jerk all he wants as long as he scores points for me.
    That should tell you how I feel about the NFL and the players now.

34. clearly some people are so eager to post their opinion or slant on topics that they neglect to read and understand the content of the article and its links before commenting.

for those that do….it doesn’t make you look very intelligent

35. nyneal says:
    October 11, 2018 at 8:38 am

That should tell you how I feel about the NFL and the players now.

——

your position on this is clearly understandable.

however….as a society, it lends credence to the “horray for me and f*** everyone else” attitude, which, ironically, is the same attitude that these prima donna players have.

I’ve read many of your posts, and although I often disagree with you, it seems to me you’re a better person than that.

Please….don’t be that guy.

36. The 80k was needed for 10$ pizza Tuesday. The wife and kids usually put away 8,000 pizzas. Seriously the real issue is the disappearance of a gun. What terrible thing is going happen with it? Not likely to be used for target practice.

37. I have an idea. Don’t keep $80K laying around your apartment and you shouldn’t need the gun to protect it. But, honestly, I’m relieved that whoever had the wherewithal to steal the cash knew to steal the gun, too. Otherwise, there might have been a dead toddler instead of an almost smashed toddler.

38. Who keeps 80K in cash on hand laying around the house……and a Gun unsecured???

The thought that you can just toss something out a window when your pissed off and not care if it hits someone below is crazy…

Now what if any of the 3 kids posing with him above in the picture….had been hurt from some moron throwing out the window a heavy object that falls and hit the kid below…… how pissed would he have gotten then??

If you or I did this……. we would not have a job today, and our kids would be taken away…..for a while … till they figure out if we are sane or not….

Double standard…..seem to always apply to the NFL and it players when it comes to breaking the civil laws of the country…

But because he means sooooooo much to the NFL in TV cash and the Steelers are nothing with out him… slap his wrist and take away his phone for 3 hours and give him a 30 minute time out…..that will be the extend of the NFL watching this case….

39. 345snarkavenue says:

October 11, 2018 at 9:06 am
    nyneal says:
    October 11, 2018 at 8:38 am

That should tell you how I feel about the NFL and the players now.

——

your position on this is clearly understandable.

Please….don’t be that guy.

—————————————————————————————

First, thanks for the compliment and feel free to disagree with me. Having different opinions without resorting to personal attacks is what forums like this are for, in my view.
    I really don’t have the f***** everyone else attitude — honest. That’s not who I am. It’s just that the NFL and rooting for my Packers has always been about fun for me. But all that I’ve seen happen with the NFL has taken a lot of the fun away for me. It has finally made me realize that this whole thing is about one thing — money. I never looked at like that years ago, but I am now convinced that that’s what it is all about and there’s no loyalty anymore from any side — not the owners, not the players, not the rules committee, and not even the fans.
    I realize it’s a reflection of the world in general, but it turns me off. This me-me society we live in sickens me and I was always naive enough to think sports was the one place where team work was more important than anything else. But it isn’t.
    I watched an NFL player score a TD last weekend and he immediately laid down with his knees bent in the end zone and pretended to give birth to a baby, using the ball as the baby. Another player took it from between his legs and handed it to him and he rocked it back and forth in his arms as a mom would do with her newborn! I said, “really????” …. “has this what the NFL has come to?” I switched the channel and stopped watching the NFL.
    I wonder sometimes if these nut cases ever think about the young people who might be watching?
    So, it’s stuff like that that has completely turned me off. What’s really sad is no one will condemn these players for doing something as sickening as that. I am thisclose to not watching the NFL at all. That’s how much disdain I have for all the stuff we hear and see.

40. nyneal says:
    October 11, 2018 at 10:14 am

—–

Thanks for responding, and your point is well made and well taken, and in fact I agree with pretty much most of how you feel. I think I misinterpreted your intent, and I apologize for doing so.

Years ago, we didn’t have the 24 hour news cycle and social media stuff, and so we didn’t learn every microscopic bit of information. Sport was sport, and that was all it was. I think at first when more information was available….say staring with ESPN in the 80s…we loved it. It seems the bad information far outweighs the good information we get. and the social media provides an instant worldwide stage.

Anyways, I really appreciate the way you clarified this.