Report: Vikings think Mike Hughes tore his ACL

Getty Images

Vikings first-round pick Mike Hughes hurt his knee on Sunday and initial reports indicate that the cornerback’s rookie season is over.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports the Vikings believe Hughes has torn his ACL. Head coach Mike Zimmer said after the game that Hughes will have an MRI and reports from the game said the corner was on crutches.

Hughes had played more than 70 percent of the snaps heading into Sunday’s win over the Cardinals and he returned an interception for a touchdown in the season opener. He had one tackle against Arizona.

Xavier Rhodes, Mackensie Alexander and Trae Waynes would be the top corners in Minnesota if Hughes is indeed done for the season.

68 responses to “Report: Vikings think Mike Hughes tore his ACL

1. I never wish injuries on anyone and hope he’s okay.
    On the other hand, Viking fans in their La-Z-Boys have been among the loudest advocates of “make football violent again.” What you wish for sometimes bites you.

2. harry hands says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Aw man… darn it. Kid has some talent. He’ll be back.

+++++

True, but he won’t be the same until 2020. Lucky he was only a “depth” draft pick.

3. mnrasslinggovjesse says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
    I never wish injuries on anyone and hope he’s okay.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It was a non contact injury. Know what you are talking about. It can make you look silly.

4. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Injuries are the great equalizer in the NFL.

A Packers fan cheering injuries.
    +++++
    I don’t see the “cheer”. You are being oversensitive.

He didn’t even mention popsicles.

5. Not sure the Vikings have the depth to overcome all the injuries… they may not make the playoffs.

6. wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    Wait now, are we sure he’s just not faking it,

No I do not believe Zimmer will play games with Hughes on the injury report next week.

7. wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    Wait now, are we sure he’s just not faking it, or perhaps he’s made of glass or just soft.
    Are we sure he’s not just being a drama queen?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And you wonder why Viking fans troll packer stories. See you tomorrow night.

8. wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    Are we sure he’s not just being a drama queen

***

Maybe. Time will tell how he acts on the IR. Maybe he’ll go on a late night talk show and talk about it?

9. packertruth says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:32 pm
    screamingyellowzonkers says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Injuries are the great equalizer in the NFL.

A Packers fan cheering injuries.
    +++++
    I don’t see the “cheer”. You are being oversensitive.

He didn’t even mention popsicles.
    ——-
    Well, maybe there will be some injury equalizers on Monday night.

10. I would hold off on all the gloom and doom talk about this injury.
    Can we even truly trust this team’s training staff?
    After all, they completely misdiagnosed Everson Griffen’s schizophrenia and called it a toe injury.

11. wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    Are we sure he’s not just being a drama queen

****

I wonder if he’ll make passive aggressive comments about the coaching or front office.

12. Injuries are the great equalizer in the NFL.

— Packers fan

———————————————————————-

Don’t call yourself a Packers fan, we don’t associate with people who make fun of another team’s woes. Sorry to hear this Vikings!

13. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:45 pm
    wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    Wait now, are we sure he’s just not faking it,

______________

Well, he certainly has a history of it.
    One only needs to look back at the Everson Griffen “toe injury” to realize that.

14. 250dollarnflowner says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:06 pm
    Hughes will go on IR and Terrance Newman will transition back to player/coach to fill in. Book it

I will take that bet a million times over, because he cannot come back. If he had not taken a job on the coaching staff then he could. That question was asked after the game. The way it was explained was if he had just retired and wanted to come back he could but since he took a coaching job he cannot.

15. Packmangamble who can say what you meant, but I’m with you. You made a statement and all the liberals assume they know what you meant and where your heart is at. You not only made a statement, it is so true. It happened to the Packers, so we know first hand. Sorry to see this myself, get well soon and we’ll see you back on the field. Also a Packer fan.

16. Never like to see injuries ever but I don’t wanna hear the Vikes crying about it, until I see them make it to the championship game with their number one corner (Gunther) a undrafted free agent then they will know what injuries mean while they demean players on the packers when injured…..

17. Shinnbone says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:55 pm
    Report: Vikings think Mike Hughes tore his ACL

Well I’ll be dogged, how’d she do that

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Funny to read PBR induced pack fans comments. You would never say that to Mr. Hughes face.

18. 90 % of Packer fans are responding with glee and puns….
    No big deal. I won’t stoop to your level. Have a good night.

19. wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
    Are we sure he’s not just being a drama queen

———————–

Nah, man. There’s only two big drama queens in the league: OBJ and Aaron Rodgers. The ladder being made of glass. That collarbone injury must really be setting him back.

20. wafflestomp says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:53 pm
    I would hold off on all the gloom and doom talk about this injury.
    Can we even truly trust this team’s training staff?

***

When was he diagnosed with schizophrenia?

21. I can’t stand the Vikings, but hate injuries more. Hopefully he comes back good as ever. There are a lot of things to make fun of…injuries shouldn’t be on the list. Like the morons who love to make fun of Rodgers’ collarbone or Cook’s ACL. That’s idiotic. Who finds it funny when a person gets injured?

22. All summer long we were told how foolish an NFL team would have to be to count on a rookie cornerback to make an impact.

So this shouldn’t have any effect on the 2018 Vikings.

23. Excuse me… after reading the comments. It seems about 70% of packer fans are happy this young cb has been hurt.

24. Just for the record, common sense and reading comprehension should show that I’m clearly mocking Barney fans and their team for the way they’ve regarded injuries in the past.

As always, I’ll state that injuries are a terrible and devastating issue that comes with the territory when playing professional football.
    And the average fan has very little comprehension on what it takes to rehab and come back and play at the high level that’s expected.

I sincerely hope that initial reports prove false and that Hughes is just dealing with a knee sprain.
    And if it turns out to be worse, I wish him a speedy recovery.
    Not because of dumb things, like, wanting no excuses next time the Packers play them, or because I don’t particularly like a certain player.
    But because I know this is a brutal sport and it takes it’s toll, all for our entertainment.
    So it should be acknowledged and appreciated.

25. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    OBVIOUSLY you didn’t watch the game or at least the play, Hughes got his feet tangled up with the offensive player and stepped wrong on it.
    ………… From the days of Robert Smith the Vikings have had the best Ortho. Drs for these kinds of injuries, look at AP’ ACL, next year he was 8 yards from breaking the ALL TIME single season rushing mark! Hughes will be back, but when he is it will be with a vengeance!

26. packertruth says:
    October 14, 2018 at 6:50 pm
    So this shouldn’t have any effect on the 2018 Vikings.
    ——
    Actually you were told all summer long how foolish Packer fans were for expecting the Packer to be successful while depending on rookie corners but I digress. Neither means a rookie can’t have a positive contribution.

27. That sucks. I hope Hughes heals up fast. As a Cardinals fan I watched the game today and he looked good. Hopefully he gets back on the field quickly. All the rookies on both teams played well today. For being on the road in his 3rd start in a hostile stadium against Zimmer’s defense/game plan Josh Rosen was excellent & played at a high level as did WR Christian Kirk, those two have very bright futures as does Hughes. I wonder if Zimmer plans on using him on the outside at all heading into the future?

28. kapptocousins says:
    October 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
    Shinnbone says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:55 pm
    Report: Vikings think Mike Hughes tore his ACL

Well I’ll be dogged, how’d she do that

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

——————

Give him a break. He was confusing Mrs. Hughes with Danielle or Mackensie.

29. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 14, 2018 at 7:22 pm

+++++

Seems to be working out ok for us foolish Packer fans so far, but thanks for your concern.

30. 13worldchampioinships says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:53 pm
    /////////////////////////

He might, but not until he becomes more valuable to the franchise than the coaches and front office combined. Then, he’ll have earned the privilege. That’s how it works. That’s how it works in my office too. It’s called “put up, or shut up.”

31. 13worldchampioinships says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:53 pm
    ******************************************************
    You must be talking from experience from past players from your sweatshop franchise.
    Thats right your QB does all the “under the buss” throwing…..
    Next Question?

32. vikingsvoice says:
    October 14, 2018 at 6:26 pm
    Slot WR’s are going to eat the Vikings up the rest of the year.

Nope. wrong again. they have Alexander who has a lot of experience and Holton Hill who has a lot of promise. Hill looks like he could become a shut down corner if given more playing time.

33. kingthielanscourt says:
    October 14, 2018 at 8:04 pm

******************************************************
    Thats right your QB does all the “under the buss” throwing…..
    Next Question?

++++

The next question is: Do you realize the individual you were addressing is a Viking fan?

34. Second year in a row the Vikings’s number one draft pick goes down with a ACL injury early in the season.

35. packertruth says:
    October 14, 2018 at 7:42 pm
    cheeseisfattening says:
    October 14, 2018 at 7:22 pm
    +++++
    ———————-
    I have never seen weeks 1 – 5 celebrated as much as Packer fans have this year. And celebrating for a 2 -2-1 team for not sucking, no less.

36. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 14, 2018 at 8:26 pm

I have never seen weeks 1 – 5 celebrated as much as Packer fans have this year.
    And celebrating for a 2 -2-1 team for not sucking, no less.
    +++++

Short memory. Recall the 2016 Vikings, 5-0 going into the bye before ending up 8-8?

37. Reading through some of these comments I see total failure of people trying to be comedians and total fans. You freaking disgust me and are a total reflection of what society is right now. Being a keyboard warrior and sitting in total anonymity spewing your BS does not make you funny or cool. THIS KID IS A BALLER! We have a lot of young amateurs here who I wonder are real fans of the game and competition that ensues with it. Seems to me you need to grow up or root for a team that doesn’t have one stud.

38. But I digress. So the Pack’s garbage roster isn’t sucking… straight from cheese’s keyboard.

This Packer’s roster has yet to play a full season to show the extent of its garbage makeup. It’s week 5, sounds like you ‘re new to watching football. Don’t worry you will always have that historic week 1 win to rub people’s face in it

39. Glad Zimm went a little heavy on CBs – this is why they are not going to be hurt as bad. Great player though and making good progress as a rookie. Sugarman will train him up the right way and get him back. Just look at AP – 8 more yards in the packer game and the guy would have broke the season record. SKOL!

40. And you wonder why Viking fans troll packer stories. See you tomorrow night.
    ——
    He was mocking Viking trolls wh have been hammering every Rodgers story saying that he is soft, a diva, a faker, made of glass, etc. Wow you guys really aren’t that bright ..

41. pkrlvr says:
    October 14, 2018 at 9:13 pm
    And you wonder why Viking fans troll packer stories. See you tomorrow night.
    ——

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Ummmmm……durrrrrrrrr….urrrrrrrrrr what?
    You guys are so easy.

42. mrdarkness13 says:
    October 14, 2018 at 8:39 pm
    ==========================================================================================Oh, the irony!

43. stellarperformance says:
    October 14, 2018 at 7:47 pm
    13worldchampioinships says:
    October 14, 2018 at 5:53 pm
    /////////////////////////

***

So in your office, a top performer can disrespect leadership and run the company better than mangers/owners?

44. fmc651 says:
    October 14, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Second year in a row the Vikings’s number one draft pick goes down with a ACL.

My mistake, I think of Dalvin as a first round pick because of his talent. I do know he is a 2 round pick. At any rate, it’s second straight year the Vikings are losing top draft picks to ACL injury.

45. This really sucks to lose their best nickel corner but it isn’t the end of the world. Last week Hughes started on the outside in place of Waynes and the defense still played well. Alexander had a good game today and now they’re mixing in Iloka, Kearse, and Harris. Maybe Hill can step up and perform with the opportunity, but I don’t think they’ll rely on him much. It’s a setback and it will delay Hughes’ development but they’ll be okay.