Dalvin Cook out again for Vikings

Getty Images

The Vikings have gotten used to playing without running back Dalvin Cook over the last two seasons and they’ll continue to do so again on Sunday.

Head coach Mike Zimmer said at his Friday press conference that Cook has been ruled out for the game against the Jets due to the hamstring injury that’s also kept him out of three of the last four games. He got in a full practice session on Wednesday, but left Thursday’s practice early and did the same on Friday as it became clear that he’s not ready to return to action yet.

Latavius Murray will continue to work as the lead back in Cook’s absence. Murray ran 24 times for 155 yards and a touchdown in last Sunday’s victory over the Cardinals.

Defensive end Everson Griffen is also out for the Vikings this week, but the team did get defensive lineman Linval Joseph and Danielle Hunter back at practice Friday after they missed Wednesday and Thursday.

31 responses to “Dalvin Cook out again for Vikings

1. Get him back to 100% before he returns. The run game means the most come November and December. Get Kirk and his pass game sharp and have the defenses game plan for that, then smash them with a healthy Dalvin Cook late season.

2. Way too early to be calling Cook a bust…give that a rest. On the other hand, it’d be great to see more of Mike Boone and/or Roc Thomas against the Jets.

3. Danjax, neither is a bust as their very good when healthy.they just cant stay healthy…maybe if they get healed up, it will stay that way.

4. Armchair GM’s are the worst. If a player that’s been in the league for 1.5 years and has torn an acl during that time is already considered a bust, you couldn’t field a 3 player team, let alone 53.

5. Those dang lingering hamstring injuries are season wreckers. I remember Ryan Matthews used to get them and then he said it stopped once he got on a new training and nutrition program or something that a new trainer put him on, it involved lots and lots of hydration.

6. For you people that know nothing about sports, a bust is a player that is typically drafted high and plays poorly over his career. Cook wasn’t even a 1st round pick, let alone drafted in the top 10. He had a torn ACL last season, so calling him a bust is straight up ignorant.

7. Robert Smith has a lot of injuries early in his career but then had a pretty nice career, considering how early he retired.

8. Why do I feel like either Cook or the team is trying to rush him back, and that is causing the re-aggravation each week? Just plan to sit him for 2-3 weeks, without pushing it, and see if he can actually get closer to fully healthy (since few players are fully healthy during the season).

9. L Fournette is not a bust he was beasting the Pats in AFC championship last year
    you could at most say he is a 1 year wonder
    D Cook on the other hand has only played 3-4 nfl games…

10. Let’s not forget that the surgery on that ACL had him inactive for months and months and months. There’s a lot more going in on in your body than just that ACL. All the other muscles around that knee have weakened from inactivity. Not long ago a rehab from this surgery would take much longer. But they’re coming back now 25% ( or more) less time than in the past from this type of injury. That’s 25% less time getting everything back in shape. So it stands to reason that some of these other components are not as strong as they need to be for an elite athlete. The problem is not him rushing Back after these little week to week setbacks, the problem is he came back a couple months too early from the surgery. I know it works for some athletes, but with the beating a running back takes with this offense of line, I don’t think he was ready

11. Must be the dreaded “high” hamstring tear. Very little blood flow to that area means very, very slow healing. More importantly for this team I just hope Sendejo is out for another 10 weeks and Hill gets benched once Reiff is back. If those clowns are still starting in a month I’ve lost all respect for Zimmer and this season will be another failure at years end. Hill will allow a single rusher to totally wreck a game, mark my words.

12. If Cook keeps coming back too early and has a setback each time, isn’t that on the training staff?

13. thefiesty1 says:
    October 19, 2018 at 3:48 pm
    I thought the Viking fans said he was going to be MVP this year! Wrong again!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Just because you say it over and over again, I would like to see these so called Viking fans that aid Cook would be MVP. I remember vividly that all packer fans saying Clay was going to be defensive player of the year.

14. waynefontesismyfather says:
    October 19, 2018 at 2:21 pm
    Cook or Fornette… who plays less

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Cook or Fournette………. who’s name can lion fan spell correctly?

15. kapptocousins says:
    October 19, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    thefiesty1 says:
    October 19, 2018 at 3:48 pm
    I thought the Viking fans said he was going to be MVP this year! Wrong again!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

_______________

You remember this vividly, huh? All Packer fans?
    Post it!
    I’ll even make it easy for you, post one.
    Find me one legitimate post where any Packer fan stated this.
    Post it and provide the story headline for verification.
    Just one. Or are you a liar like most Barney fans.
    I’ll be waiting.

16. diveleft says:
    October 19, 2018 at 4:18 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No. It means he was never injured to begin with. He faked the whole thing and changes in status on the injury report are due to the coach trying to pull some kind of fast one on all upcoming opponents.

I know this to be true because pretty much every purple here told us so… repeatedly… over the past few weeks.

17. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    October 19, 2018 at 5:59 pm
    diveleft says:
    October 19, 2018 at 4:18 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

This is tylawpick6 crazy talk., figures packer fan.

18. wafflestomp says:
    October 19, 2018 at 5:55 pm
    kapptocousins says:
    October 19, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    thefiesty1 says:
    October 19, 2018 at 3:48 pm
    I thought the Viking fans said he was going to be MVP this year! Wrong again!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

_______________

You remember this vividly, huh? All Packer fans?
    Post it!
    I’ll even make it easy for you, post one.
    Find me one legitimate post where any Packer fan stated this.
    Post it and provide the story headline for verification.
    Just one. Or are you a liar like most Barney fans.
    I’ll be waiting

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

RELAX dude, just making fun of pack fan feisty, saying the same thing about “the Viking fans” saying Cook will be MVP. What a touchy bunch.

19. ragnarthegreat says:
    October 19, 2018 at 3:07 pm

++++

Honestly Sir the problem is both those things.

Medical advances have made the recovery time moderately quicker and lets athletes get back on the field a couple months sooner than they used to.

But it seems to me quick-twitch explosive players take two seasons to return to close to their former level of play. Peterson is the small minority exception to what mostly is the rule.

It’s hard to trust your knee after you blow out the ACL no matter how much rehab you do (I did both of mine). Doubly so when other issues crop up at the same time. Not trolling here.

20. packertruth says:
    October 19, 2018 at 10:13 pm
    ragnarthegreat says:
    October 19, 2018 at 3:07 pm

++++

Honestly Sir the problem is both those things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would lean toward trusting Minnesota’s medical/training staff, especially when it comes to leg and/or knee injuries. Let’s not forget, they also worked what amounts to a miracle on Teddy Bridgewater. I would have bet my house that Teddy would never play again after that injury (I had one similar).

21. Not sure what the rush for Dalvin is when it is known the injury he has takes time. He shouldn’t been practicing with the offense this week or last . He should have been doing his individual work on the side.It is week 7 now, the injury happened in week 2. Not happy about this lingering so long.Not a bust be real.