The Booger mobile is a problem for paying customers

Getty Images

In an effort to be different (even if different doesn’t mean better), ESPN opted for a three-man booth this year, but with one of the analysts not in the booth. Instead, former mid-level NFL defensive tackle Booger McFarland rides in an elevated seat that moves along with the spot of the ball to give him a down-the-line view of the play.

The only problem with this approach is that the so-called Booger mobile obstructs the view of people who have paid very good money to see the game in person.

Dan Katz posted a video last night of the dynamic, and other images have emerged in recent weeks showing how the Booger mobile keeps paying customers from seeing the game.

Making the situation even funnier (except for those who have paid for the seats with views blocked by the contraption) is that ESPN has attached a monitor to the back of the chair. So that those who have opted to expend significant dollars to come to the stadium can see what they’d be seeing if they’d merely opted to stay home.

Is it really worth it to ESPN and, more importantly, to the NFL? The NFL needs to tell ESPN what we’ve said from the outset: Just put Booger in the booth and be done with it. If the NFL cares about its fans, that mandate will come before next Monday.

95 responses to “The Booger mobile is a problem for paying customers

1. I’m continually amazed at the total disconnect between the NFL and their fans (relocating franchises, the booger-mobile, PSLs, etc). It is completely idiotic, callous, clueless…pick an adjective.

2. Honestly, I would rather hear onfield/stadium noise & announcements than almost any announcer. So few really add to the game, many take away from it significantly.

3. I have an even better idea. Let’s fire this entire crew of witless morons currently in the broadcast booth, and give Monday Night Football to a network that won’t turn it into a caricature of itself.

4. They can have 3 or 20 in the booth. I’ve discovered that I enjoy the game more with the sound off and without all the over the top commentary….

5. How did anybody think this was a bad idea & laugh hysterically the second some moron brought this idea to the table?

6. Booger is incredibly irritating to listen to for more then 10 seconds! He carries water for Beckham who has the maturity level of a 3rd grader and has been a problem child almost since day 1 in The NFL. Meanwhile Booger took every single opportunity to rip Eli almost continuously. I am an Eagles fan so I do not have a dog in the race.
    Jason Witten has done a pretty good job but Booger is flat out horrible. Witten tactfully tries to correct so many of Booger’s off the mark points. Anyone listening can hear what is going on. Witten would be wise to get a job on another network.
    ESPN has flat out collaspsed into complete failure.

7. I seem to be one of the few here that think Booger, though awkward, is a decent analyst who adds a great deal of strong, unique perspective. That stated, the booger mobile is just plain rude! Shame on ESPN and shame on the NFL that they have knowingly allowed this. These people paid for their seats, been sitting in these seats for years and at no time have been informed that the seats are suddenly “obstructed view seats”.

Additionally, I wonder what the legalities are related to seat licenses? But I digress, this is just plain rude!

8. rjth2012
    Oct 23, 2018, 7:16 PM EDT
    ESPN has flat out collaspsed into complete failure.
    ————

I agree. It was so odd how he just kept picking random times or subjects to rip Eli and simultaneously praise Beckham. Completely out of context in most circumstances.

He’s awful.

9. This is hands down one of the stupidest ideas I’ve seen in a while – maybe since FOX’s glowing puck for people who couldn’t follow hockey.

Seriously – half the time they use a reverse angle so we are listening to Booger talk while staring at the back of his shiny, bald head.

10. The same people who are critical of Booger were also critical of Beth Mowins. Notice a pattern?

11. rjth2012 says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:16 pm
    ————-

Knew after reading the first line that something stupid like that second line would follow.

You didn’t disappoint.

12. Easily one of the worst broadcasting crews in any sport. Jason Witten can’t string more than 10 words together before he loses his thought thread and starts stumbling. Blocking the view of paying fans just adds to the insanity.

13. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:28 pm

============

They both suck. It’s an ESPN pattern.

14. I really dont know why ESPN chose Whitten anyways. Hes not polished. Stumbles alot. Needs to practise. Booger i really liked before on Sirius NFL Radio, but I havent cared much for his points on Mnf.

It looks like things wont change this season but here is hoping for next year.

15. No idea how Booger got the job, and that thing is something out of Sarah Connor’s nightmares. That said, the commentary Monday was for the most part much better than the past Monday night games (not that it was a high bar to pass), so maybe there’s a smidgen of hope that they can at least be tolerable at some point. Witten offered more information than normal and Booger was shouting at a slightly lower volume, so there’s that. Still feel badly for Lisa Salters.

I’ve been trying to figure out exactly what makes the feel so awkward and I think it’s this: I think that the broadcasters try too hard to throw too much information at the viewer at once. Unlike Romo, who does not have to compete with another broadcaster for oxygen when he speaks and also is a better communicator, Witten and McFarlane are a bit too eager to shove information down the viewer’s throat and have little feel for a natural flow to express it. Tessitore has a good announce voice but the three seem to lack a natural connection with each other, which probably isn’t helped by Hoverchair Boogie not being in the booth. I mean, isn’t that what Lisa Salters is there to do, anyway?

16. Is it really worth it to hear stories about how he often peed his pants on the sidelines during games?

17. Is it too much to ask for to have actual professionals as commentators? Witten can’t get a sentence out without stumbling and stuttering while Booger offers nothing while being extremely annoying.

18. skippernuts says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:01 pm
    And not to mention the fact that he adds very little value to the broadcast to begin with.

———————
    IDK that he adds very little. This past Monday night I thought he was adding far too much.

19. In all honestly, Listening to Booger is very hard to do and it’s not worth it to watch a game. Booger constantly gets things wrong and has to be corrected by the other broadcasters. ESPN laid a big goose egg again on this one. I don’t plan on watching another game on ESPN with him as a broadcaster, just to hard to listen to and takes away from the game.

20. I dont mind him but the whole him being in that weird getup is just strange. And we see so many shots of the back of his fat head. Who thought that was a good idea?
    I do think he contributes well to telecast with his insight, though others here clearly disagree.

21. So unnecessary having him sit on crane doesn’t improve the horrible takes coming out of his mouth. That MNF crew is brutal to sit through.

22. Agreed but is there a bigger killer of highlights and Red zone program than the constant rock music playing all the time!!!!

If its such a good idea please play it on the news and political party broadcasts!

23. mjimmym says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:18 pm
    Is this the guy who is constantly yelling, and causes me to turn the volume off each week?
    —————————————-

He is this year’s version of ‘that’ guy. Last year’s is in Oakland right now

24. It’s just annoying. Put him in the booth or fire him. Fans need to end this by pelting him with beer, hot dogs, soda…..small children…whatever they’ve got handy the next time they use it.

25. They HAD to put him in that hydraulic contraption because he wouldn’t fit in the booth with the other two guys.

26. This is easily the worst MNF announcing crew ever. Not sure what ESPN was thinking but they really blew it big time. It’s unwatchable the crew is so bad.

27. First time I saw it, I was like it’s blocking 4 dudes and Booger is just sitting there oblivious to it all. It’s not like he sees anything better at that spot. ESPN being ESPN.

28. First of all, the Booger Mobile is on the Visitors side of the field, so who cares if those views are blocked. Secondly, Booger is great compared to Witten. Maybe they should switch them, at least it’ll be easier for those in the blocked view seats to see around him than Booger.

29. Booger calling OBJ a “diva” for going inside to ‘go to the bathroom’ while insinuating that in the good old days he just pee’d on the grass in that situation is cause for his firing and getting rid of that stupid nonsensical contraption.

30. Anybody that remembers Sunday night football on ESPN in the late 80s early 90s would remember Paul Maguire sitting up in his little tower near midfield. The big difference is Maguire could actually contribute intelligent points to the broadcast unlike Booger.

31. First of all, the Booger Mobile is on the Visitors side of the field, so who cares if those views are blocked. ”

Guess you’ve never been to an actual game. In most stadiums the vast majority of tix anywhere in the building are sold to home fans.

Second, if its visiting fans behind him they have most likely paid for a flight plus an absurd ticket price to buy one of those seats up close to the field online. They could easily have spent $750-1000 plus the cost of a hotel room for a couple nights to see the game. And you somehow think its right to block those people’s view?

SMH

32. I discovered last night, that I enjoyed watching the ESPN broadcast with the sound off and listening to the Westwood one call of the game with Kevin Harlan and kurt warner. For myself at least it was a 100 times better. ESPN is terrible no matter what they are airing. I find myself suffering through it only for monday night football or college football playoffs.

33. This isn’t just an NFL problem it’s an ESPN problem. I wouldn’t last a day at that place. The second someone mentioned this idea I’d be booted for making fun of them. Same with the rest of their BS. Sports has built in drama. It’s the best reality TV out there yet BSPN has to get in there with these uplifting stories and try and write in drama. Cover sports and the rest will take care of itself.

34. No idea how Booger got the job, and that thing is something out of Sarah Connor’s nightmares. That said, the commentary Monday was for the most part much better than the past Monday night games (not that it was a high bar to pass), so maybe there’s a smidgen of hope that they can at least be tolerable at some point. Witten offered more information than normal and Booger was shouting at a slightly lower volume, so there’s that. Still feel badly for Lisa Salters.

——————————————————————————-

You seriously don’t know that Booger McFarland worked at ESPN the last 5 years or so doing college football analysis? And he did it well, I think he’s good at this job too.

The one in the booth that was just given the job with no experience was Witten and it shows, just like it did Romo at first. I don’t think either of them should’ve been given a job such as they got w/o working some non-primetime games first like other analysts. Some have slaved for years, like Moose Johnston! Moose should be in the Monday Night booth for sure!

35. streetscoop says:
    October 23, 2018 at 8:18 pm

1 2 Rate This”

You possibly can’t be so dumb that you think visitors sit on the visitor sideline. Are you?

36. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:28 pm

9 32 Rate This
    ——————————————
    Never heard of her, but if she is as bad at this as Booger, I don’t like her either.

37. I had a front row seat for the Vikings Rams thursday night game in LA this year and the Fox cameras were in front of us the whole game. It wasn’t booger but a another fat guy in a gigantic crane was blocking our view (at the 40 yard line). The NFL needs to do something about camera obstructions.

38. Nine times outta ten when they show Booger in his “ride” it’s the back of his head. Useless, if you don’t intend to include the fans in that element (but I can see that going horribly wrong).

39. The ESPN games are really hard to watch. When I first saw the Booger hovermobile I thought it was some terrible sketch comedy.

The 3 in the booth have no chemistry and Booger basically bust in anytime he wants over Witten who is always stumbling through his words. How did Witten get tossed right from the field into prime time?

40. Bad enough to listen to Bo and Win show let alone paying to watch the game and have to have this thing if your way.

41. “You seriously don’t know that Booger McFarland worked at ESPN the last 5 years or so doing college football analysis?”

——-

Clearly not what I meant, but you’re entitled to your opinion. Not sure how many people agree with that opinion, but you are nonetheless entitled to it.

42. BSPN blowing it again. Witten is brutal as bad as the match up. And then I heard Berman back doing the highlights on Sunday night. With his stupid sound effects. I didn’t miss him BSPN let him re-retire. He is so annoying can’t speak without shouting and running out of breath.

43. I love nfl football. But, I haven’t had season tickets in years. I usually opt for the directv package and going to one game a year. This year I opted to buy a 70” tv, drop nfl Sunday ticket and not go to a game. I can spend a week in the Caribbean for what season tickets cost. Just economics is all.

44. schmitty2 says:
    October 23, 2018 at 8:24 pm
    ———-

Your memory is fuzzy.

Maguire just spewed “get off my lawn” rhetoric and sounded half in the bag most of the rest of the time.

I was there. Don’t come on here lying. I loved that booth, but Mike Patrick carried him and that other egomaniac.

45. greymares says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:34 pm
    I’m blown away it’s the first time ever I agree with Mr. Wright. Lol.
    ———

That says a lot more about you than you’d probably want.

Outside of the times when I’m clearly joking around, most of what I say is substantiated with data to back up my assertions.

46. I don’t know what’s worst when it comes to Monday Night Football. That stupid thing Booger probably uses to ride home, Booger not shutting up during the game or the commentary that makes me want to rather listen to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman on loop which I’m sure most people would only do if they want to be put to sleep early

47. No comment on the broadcast crew, but I do have a comment on the fan obstructed view. Reality is, the sideline cameras on roving cranes already block the view of those who have seats up close. Yes, they made the obstruction larger, but that is just a matter of degree. If you are really concerned about the view, you would eliminate the sideline cameras altogether, and we all know that is not going to happen.

Bengals season ticket holder since they were founded in ’68. My seats in Riverfront were on the home side where they were always shaded from the sun. And while i am staunch fan of the home team, when they built the new stadium in 2000, i chose my season tickets on the visitors side for winter comfort reasons. Outdoor stadium in the winter, sun exposure matters. In Paul Brown Stadium *in December* 1:00pm game start, the entire home side is in the shade well before the game begins. Visitor side has sun through the third quarter. It makes a difference.

48. One of the worst ideas ever conceived by the NFL. It does ZERO to enhance the game,and Kurt’s Cousin above is correct. Booger and Witten never stop talking.

49. Liberalsruineverything says:
    October 23, 2018 at 7:06 pm
    It’s like having a Booger on your windshield.

——

lol….I’ve disagreed with you on many things, but you had me laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair.

Thanks, I kind of needed that.