Everson Griffen: This is bigger than football

AP

Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen returned to the Vikings on Wednesday and took part in practice with the team for the first time since taking a leave to deal with personal issues.

The move to focus on that aspect of his life came after a series of disturbing incidents inside and outside of work and Griffen apologized “to the people I impacted” while taking full responsibility for the actions during a press conference. He declined to discuss the specifics of his issues, but said it was the right thing for him and something that he expects to address at some point in the future.

“This is bigger than football,” Griffen said. “This is all part of the process. We’ve got a good group of individuals in place — the Minnesota Vikings, myself, my doctors, my family. We’ve got a plan in place. We’re going to execute the plan day in and day out. We’re going to stay on top of it. That’s our goal.”

Griffen, who said there’s been no determination about whether he’d play, urged others who might be struggling to get help and hopes that when he shares his story that it will provide some help to people in similar situations.

54 responses to “Everson Griffen: This is bigger than football

1. Is this like a serial like Days of our Life and we need to stay tuned to the next part? BTW Who is Alexander Griffen? I just want to watch football next Sunday. Just scrub out the extra B.S. Thanks.

2. Wishing the best for Griffen. When he came out of college there were questions about his character, and he really seemed to overcome them and make the most of his opportunity. The Vikings didn’t reup Jared Allen because they expected Griffen to fill his shoes, and he didn’t disappoint.

I hope he makes a full recovery. I also hope he sees action Sunday night and is a difference maker.

3. Ok so we can threaten to shoot hotel staff and avoid legal issues and nfl suspensions as long as we have mental health issues. Got it.

4. Hope all is well Everson Griffen. This is bigger than football, and it looks to me that your family and your football family have been equally supportive. hope to see you in action again doing what you love. And I hope even more that you find the peace you and your family deserve. God speed sir.

5. bird2urmother says:
    October 24, 2018 at 4:55 pm

__________________________________________________________________________________________

If arrest were to made solely on comments like that being made from individuals, half the fans in attendance at Eagles, Raiders and Jets home games would be arrested.

6. I’m sure a bunch of you sick people will downvote me, that says more about you. Mental health is no joke. Many people are suffering and have had similar episodes, only to be shamed. I’m glad to see him back and I hope he lives a long and healthy life after football too.

7. It may sound trite to say that sharing his story might help people in similar situations, but the fact is a lot of people are suffering through these kinds of issues and they feel completely alone. Seeing that a high-profile individual is dealing with the same thing actually could encourage someone to get help and maybe prevent a bad outcome.

8. I’ve already heard talking heads saying he absolutely shouldn’t play in the game this week. They could be right but they have no idea what his situation is. His doctors and the team staff are the ones that can make that decision based on the information they have and no one else does. Whether he plays or not, I’m confident the right decision will be made.

9. bowenfootdoc2013 says:

Dear Bowen,

If you just want to watch football on Sundays and not hear about the “extra B.S” my suggestion is to stop reading articles about football on the internet and stick to just watching football on Sundays. Thanks.

10. Mr J says:
    October 24, 2018 at 5:02 pm
    bird2urmother says:
    October 24, 2018 at 4:55 pm

—-
    Oh, ok. So since drunk rowdy fans sometimes make threats, it’s ok for NFL players to do the same. Again, got it. Not trying to troll here. I’m honestly wondering if everything is just getting dropped now because he went to rehab. Thumbs down all you want. If it was a player on another team other than yours, I’m sure you’d be wondering the same thing.

11. Let me thank all the posters that have made appropriate comments.

To the others – I hope you reap what you sow.

12. fwippel says:

I hope he makes a full recovery.
    ================================

I hope he doesn’t overdose on cocaine again.

13. If ignorance is bliss there sure are a lot of happy PFT readers out there. No one knows what type of mental illness he suffers from or the most effective method of treatment, and accordingly, any opinions voiced without such information are worth about as much as a share of Green Bay Packers stock. For those saying he shouldn’t be back with the team or playing Sunday, ask yourself this question — have you ever heard of people seeing a therapist or undergoing treatment for mental illness while they still went to work?

14. And remember people, when people with mental illnesses commit crimes, they still get punished. They just get locked up in different facilities other than prison. It’s not like the courts just say “oh he has a mental illness, it’s ok.” Just clearing that up because it seems like Viking fans don’t understand that.

15. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 24, 2018 at 4:46 pm
    In Green Bay the only thing bigger than football is Packer fans
    —–
    I met a girl one time from Green Bay who was so big her bathtub had stretch marks.

16. hen someone goes batshtt, you have to figure it out real fast. As a (retired) police officer who has had a ton of these types of encounter, it is imperative to assess other’s lives, yours and damage control. As in, instantly.

Reasons: Drunk, drugs, mad at wife, mad at the world, emotionally disturbed and often, some combo of.

The emotionally disturbed, (aka ‘EDP’) is real easy to figure out. A couple of quick questions and they almost always retreat. They also have this outer world look on their face. Bewilderment and bug eyed.

Drugs that cause this behavior also cause aggression as are most drunks. These guys are a pain to deal with. The worst. The mad at the wife/world are the easiest ones to calm down. You can reason with temporary insanity as sanity often returns when you reassure them you’re there to help not hurt.

Sounds like Mr. Griffen had the EDP variety. Otherwise we would know the particulars. I hope he gets the care he needs to live a productive life. Most don’t.

17. Get your popcorn ready, the Lions still suck and their fans are in their usual mid season form. Same Ol’ Lions are coming your way once the actual divisional games start up in a few weeks.

18. bird2urmother says:
    October 24, 2018 at 4:55 pm

***

The world needs more people like you.

19. Lonntimefanh8tr – yeah too bad he is not an upstanding packer like good ol randy wood field or Mr Prom Night Chewie

20. Going out on a limb here, just an honest question. Was BRob his handler? I kinda see BRob as being that rock that kept him in line, his support system on the team that kept him at baseline. I wonder if losing him this offseason has anything to do with what happened. Regardless, great to have him back in the fold and I think being around his brothers will help him out and it sounds like he has great support away from the locker room too, that’s great. Welcome back Grif.

21. I recognize that I’m doing nothing but wasting bandwidth in even posting here but for gawd’s sake people, professional athletes are people who bleed red just like the rest of us.

I don’t care what colors the guy wears on Sunday and neither should anyone else when a person’s well being is at stake. A little humanity by some of you boneheads would be shocking…when it should be expected and demanded.

22. It is bigger than football, which is why it should be treated as such. Being rushed back just because of football is troubling.

23. Everson most likely got diagnosed with a disorder and is taking medication for it- its as simple as a once a month shot. No reason to believe he can’t still contribute.

I’m Bipolar and I feel for him- I had my first mania at 29

24. Guy obviously has mental issues, but will continue to play where he will have constant head trauma that could possibly lead to CTE. Ok, got it.

25. Haldol and Thorazine have to be on the banned substances list, don’t they? Probably just waiting on the therapeutic exemption to go thru before he can play again.

To the Viking fans acting all high and mighty on here, so it’s not ok to make fun of mental illness or premature death but everything else is fair game? Injuries, sexual orientation, substance abuse, being fat, ect.

I mean we gotta draw the line somewhere I guess…

26. For those of us who’ve been following the NFL for decades, and have seen this scenario happen before, all I can say is, if he is completely healed and the saga is over, and he never causes anyone any more problems—it will be the first time this has ever happened.

Sorry Vikings fans, you’re the only ones putting your heads in the sand.

And if he played for say, the Jets or the Bengals, you’d be saying the same thing as the rest of us.

#SkolBeforeMentalHealth

27. bird2urmother says:
    October 24, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Mr J says:
    October 24, 2018 at 5:02 pm
    bird2urmother says:
    October 24, 2018 at 4:55 pm

—-
    ——————————————————————————————————————-
    What crime was committed here? The guy wasnt arrested, didnt have a weapon on him, the hotel where he was at didnt press any charges and the police let him go on his own accord, what is missing here? NFL players should be suspended for being questioned by Police? Get real

28. What do the birds say flying over his house? Cuckoo

Then they smash into the windows of the Vikings stadium.

He’s a distraction the Vikings don’t need. It’s all generated from one source too. His wife. Read the police report. She’s the catalyst.

29. Mental Illness is the biggest problem facing the country today. The problem was exacerbated when mental illness turned from something that needed to be addressed immediately through counseling and medication, to something that was to be praised as “a gift”, “special” or calling the ill a “free spirit”. Then it became a civil rights issue when the ACLU sued to allow the inflicted to refuse hospitalization, medication and even encouraged the hiding the diagnosis. These days all you have to do is put on any news station, look at the protesters or simply review any bit of social media and see the horrific problem mental illness and ignoring the facts has caused the society as a whole.

30. Mental health is nothing to joke about, on the other hand, the Minnesota Vikings are. They provide so much material that your average person need not resort to joking about Griffen to get their thrill for the day. I mean between the Wizantor, Love Boat, scalped Superbowl tickets, getting their draft picks in on time, missed 26 yard FG’s, and not drafting Aaron Rodgers when they had not one but two chances, I mean, take your pick but leave Griffen alone to battle his demons.

31. realityonetwo says:
    October 25, 2018 at 8:19 am
    Still don’t know what’s wrong with the guy.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Really? Why would you want to know? If you had a medical or mental issue would you want the hospital to tell everyone?

32. I was having issues with anxiety attacks that left me pretty much incapacitated for an hour or so after they occurred. My thought was “tough up, power through, you’ll be fine”. That never worked.

When Kevin Love published his piece about his attacks it, for some reason, nudged me to talk to someone about it. I’m sure I’m not the only guy who can say this.

This stuff is no joke. Athletes who speak up and share their stories are making a difference.