Jon Gruden: I don’t see us trading Derek Carr

Getty Images

Raiders head coach Jon Gruden met with the media on Wednesday and the trade of wide receiver Amari Cooper was one of the big topics up for discussion.

Gruden had said in the past that Cooper wasn’t going to be traded, but that “opportunities present themselves” and that the Raiders are “doing everything we can to win football games and build this football team.” Gruden also fielded questions about what other moves might follow.

Gruden said he didn’t anticipate any other trades and “certainly” does not think the team is going to trade quarterback Derek Carr.

Given how things played out with Cooper and Khalil Mack, that will and should be taken with a grain of salt but Gruden did add that he thinks Carr is “going to be fine” in relation to questions about reported issues between him and others on the team.

84 responses to “Jon Gruden: I don’t see us trading Derek Carr

1. You gotta have somebody under center or in the gun to take the ball. If you think Carr is really that bad all you have to do is look at Bortles or Blaine Gabbert to realize Carr isn’t so bad after all.

2. Lies.. Watch Jerry silly self package Dak, Lee, this year’s 2nd and next year’s 1st and they will bite for Carr. Who wouldn’t take advantage of Jerry stupidity? nobody

3. Behind a healthy line and a good core of skill position players DC4 was in the MVP conversation during the 12-4 season….I trust DC4 and hope he remains in S&B

4. “Jon Gruden: I don’t see us trading Derek Carr”

Were his eyes closed when he said that?

5. Raiders are currently $75,248,604 under the 2019 salary cap after the Cooper trade. I’d guess that guard Kelechi Osemele would be the next up to get moved. Getting Osemele off the 2019 books would be another $10,500,000 in cap savings (no dead money). Some quality free agents out there in 2019.

6. Stating that he doesn’t think they’ll trade Carr is a far cry from saying they won’t trade him if the right offer is presented.

7. Carr for Prescott straight up, two guys playing like crap who may benefit (i doubt it) from a change of venue

8. I think what people forget about this whole thing is you can have a multitude of draft chips, but IF YOU DONT DRAFT WELL it means NOTHING. That ESPN 30:30 called the “great train robbery” jimmy Johnson said the most important aspect when it came to all the draft chips they had was TAKING THE RIGHT PLAYERS!. As a pats fan, Belichick was whiffed, they all do. Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Ras I Dowling, Easley, Maroney, but they manipulated the draft board, and found chips where they shouldn’t be. I hope for the raiders fans that gruden picks the right guys, but its going to be a long road to recovery.

9. Regardless if you like or don’t, just a matter of time he will get hurt , not one of those long career guys, and yes I’m in the don’t category these days

10. “Which free agents would want to sign here?”

Ones that he’ll offer to overpay far more guaranteed money than any other team will?

11. Gruden is a below-average HC and a horrible personnel/draft guy. However as a used-care salesman he is an expert at dishonesty.

12. I agree sigbouncer, but as a Raider fan, I fear that no quality free agents would want to play for this team unless they were getting grossly overpaid.

sigbouncer says:

October 24, 2018 at 2:54 pm

13. 700levelvet says:
    October 24, 2018 at 2:47 pm

I don’t see how the players can believe a word Gruden says…

=====================

Much less any other Raider fan who isn’t completely naive

14. Josh Alper, re: Gruden’s saying he won’t trade Carr, says “Given how things played out with Cooper and Khalil Mack, that will and should be taken with a grain of salt.”

What do you want Gruden (or any other coach or GM) to do, tell you (the media) beforehand of any roster moves he’s considering? Are you kidding? Sounds like quite a bit of media arrogance to me. The media, in its own eyes, is all powerful and all important. But then there’s the rest of the world that says, no, not so much.

15. I really can’t blame John Gruden …he’s been out of the game for 10 years sitting in the Monday night Football booth. He’s playing fantasy football with the Oakland Raiders because some dim-wit owner gave him 10 million dollars. I would play too…..but man, I can play ALOT better than John can.

16. Do any of you people, with the negative comments ever spend as much time reading about your own team, as you do reading, and commenting about the Raiders, you guy’s are really obsessed with the Raiders!

17. swaderhoo says:
    October 24, 2018 at 3:18 pm

————————————————————————-

The free agents signed will be the tone setters and leaders of this team. Moving to Las Vegas (no state income tax) will have the allure of a Los Angeles or New York. And don’t forget our history (3 Super Bowl wins). There will always be players out there who want to be Raiders.

18. The last time Gruden was in Oakland, he turned the Raiders into a super bowl team. Then he went to Tampa Bay and won a super bowl with a slightly above average roster. Derek Carr has a great arm, and Gruden will turn him into a great QB. Gruden knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s trading away players who have helped contribute to one winning season in the last 16 years, and he’s gotten 3 additional 1st round picks for them. So Gruden the GM looks like he knows what he’s doing too. The Raiders’ locker room is good, from everything I’m hearing. The negative rumors are just rumors. Everyone in that locker room knows who’s in charge. Coaches don’t usually tell players ahead of time that they’re going to be traded, just like the teams who trade draft picks for players don’t tell the guys on their roster that they’re shopping their position. What Gruden is doing makes a lot of sense. That’s a boring thing to write about, so here we are.

19. Translation:

“I don’t see any team accepting a trade of Derek Carr’s ridiculous salary”

20. nolahxc says:
    October 24, 2018 at 3:13 pm
    **Always Sunny Music**

The Gang Trades Derek Carr

– – –

That’s fantastic. Playing for the Raiders is worse than “Charlie Work”.

21. cardinealsfan20 says:
    October 24, 2018 at 2:41 pm
    Did anyone ask Gruden how trading away the team’s best players constitutes “doing everything we can to win football games”

———-

Can someone tell this cards fan, that keeping your best player(s) dsnt translate to winning?? NY GIANTS best player is Odell, they still have him, they’re not winning. Cardinals have a top 5 RB in DJ, also not winning, jags have a ton of pro bowlers, not winning much this year either. Sometimes your best isnt good enough, and its takes a man to restart and take all the heat. I believe carr is good enough to get it done if we get players like Odell, and bell etc around him. Coop, Crabtree, and seth robert all led the league in drops at one point in the past 4 years. I wouldnt want to throw them the ball down field either! Anyone who’s played QB knows if someone ain’t catching the ball, they ain’t getting it!! GRUDEN WILL MAKE EVERYONE EAT CROW!

22. Anyone remember the last time Gruden was our coach? Hey Jeff George, we need to redo your contract, we’re going to cut you and then have you sign a new deal that is cap friendly. 3 days or so later…I’d like to introduce our new starting QB Rich Gannon. LOL. Gruden will always take a great football mind over a supposed great football arm any day of the week. He’s eyeing Alex Smith as much as I hate to say it, again.

23. Gruden was never going to keep Carr especially with that contract. He has said many times he is a big fan of Mike Glennon. I bet he trades Carr to Tampa Bay, Jacksonville or the Giants for a 2nd round pick. Then trades a third of 4th round pick for Glennon and drafts some offensive lineman and front seven help next year.

24. Jon Gruden: I don’t see us trading Derek Carr

Translation: We will trade Carr if the price is right!

25. I don’t see them trading Carr either unless someone offers them a sweetheart deal then the haters will say he lied. I don’t get it. Situations are fluid in life.

26. Carr can’t be traded in 2018 because he has a dead cap value of 32.5 million. Next year, 2019 his dead cap hit is 7.5 million.

27. Not that Cooper or Carr aren’t worth trading, but Gruden is setting this team back 10 years. Still amazed his has name carries so much weight. He won a Super Bowl on Tony Dungy’s legwork. Beyond that, he’s just another talking head.

28. Krikey… a year ago they’re an up and coming contender one or two picks/trades away from being a serious contender; now they’re rebuilding? What the heck?

29. Carr has been inaccurate and Cooper has killed many of drives with 3rd down drops. It would be good riddance if he is gone. This team is not going anywhere. The Raiders should have beat Miami and Denver but Carr int’s killed that.