Report: Josh Gordon to sit part of Monday’s game as disciplinary measure

Getty Images

The Patriots will reportedly play the first part of Monday night’s game against the Bills without wide receiver Josh Gordon in the lineup.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Gordon will be benched for “several series” or the entire first quarter as a disciplinary measure. Per the report, Gordon is being disciplined because he has been late for work. He is expected to play a regular workload beyond that point.

Gordon was traded to the Patriots earlier this year after showing up late to work for the Browns on a Saturday. That was the last straw after several suspensions and other issues in Cleveland, but Gordon apparently still has some strikes left in New England.

The Patriots have some history with similar in-game disciplinary actions. Former wideout Wes Welker sat out the opening series of a playoff loss to the Jets after the 2010 season for making repeated references to feet while talking to the media about former Jets head coach Rex Ryan.

99 responses to “Report: Josh Gordon to sit part of Monday’s game as disciplinary measure

1. C’mon kid, don’t screw this one up. Straight and narrow, straight and narrow, you can do it, good luck.

2. What is wrong with this guy? You have been given God given ability to do what 99.99% of others can’t do & make a GREAT living doing it and you EFF it up every chance you get. What a loser. Maybe he can go catch passes from Chad Kelly in the Arena League.

3. Hey……if this dude doesn’t straighten out drop him. That’s probably why BB is looking at acquiring another receiver as he may be seeing the handwriting on the wall. Last stop Josh…..if u don’t do it here go flip burgers.

4. I’ve learned this based on personal experience:

You can never, ever, ever count on an addict. They will always let you down. It takes many, many years of sobriety before their word can count for anything.

I said this when the Pats traded for him: get everything you can from him this year and then move on after the season.

5. Lesser players get cut with the Patriots for the same offense. Josh Gordon loves to stretch the limts of the talent vs tolerance scales every where he goes.

6. I don’t know what kind of disciplinary standards he was used to in Cleveland. I hope he gets the picture that actions have immediate consequences with the Patriots, and he straightens himself out. I’m sure it hasn’t escaped his notice that the Patriots are scoping out other receivers, too.

I hope the guy gets himself together, because he is fun to watch on the field and he and Brady seem to be progressing well in their routes. But he’s on a short leash now and he should know it.

7. trollaikman8 says:
    October 29, 2018 at 4:39 pm

I have a feeling being 5 minutes early to a meeting is actually considered late by the NE coaching staff.

_______

You should be a few minutes early to any scheduled activity. To show up at the exact moment it starts is just plain lazy.

8. You can literally pay someone a paltry $75k per season to ENSURE you don’t screw up. Not waking up on time for work? This person will dump water on you to get you up! Not to mention have the car started and your damn breakfast waiting. I’ll never get it.

9. trollaikman8 says:
    October 29, 2018 at 4:39 pm

***************

No, that’s a BS Coughlin rule.

10. Please, don’t use the “go flip burgers” quote. I do that for a living, and I make a darn good one, if I may say so myself.

11. Remember when Brady was saying he’s doing all the right things…like he actually knew… funny… Dudes a stoner. One instance, yeah ok, give him a second chance…. 5 years of instances… umm NO. They actually thought they would help resurrect his career. No one with an ounce of intelligence should be surprised. But they got him for a Late round pick. Dorsey of all people, out maneuvers the genius. Too funny.

12. phinatic29 says:
    October 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm
    Mahomes > Brady.

New GOAT already … that didn’t take long!!

Not
    For
    Long
    ——————————–

This is what is left to lolphins fans, success for teams other than their own.
    Some things ARE long in the NFL chip, for instance the sustained run of excellence New England has seen. Some things are even longer, the lolphins quest for relevance for example.

13. Gordon has been given the “keys” to the kingdom & took a giant dump on it !
    What is it with this guy – He had to know Belichick has ZERO tolerance for stupidity,
    and I’m sure his agent should’ve at least mentioned that part if not!

14. No one player is above the team….. it matters not how talented they are or what issues in their life that they are dealing with……
    Hopefully Josh takes this serious & takes the appropriate steps to make sure nothing further happens…..
    Not freaking out yet but my panic alarm has been turned up a tad…..
    MAYBE Bill does see the writing on the wall & that’s exactly why there are rumors going around that the Pats are in the market for another receiver……I hope that’s not the case but I wouldn’t be totally shocked either…….
    Go Pats!!!!!

15. I will point out something that is concerning. When he first got here he was on his last career legs, even lucky to have that chance, and he knew it. He did not do any ‘taking advantage of his situation’ because he had no situation. But now a few weeks in he has shown some seriously great stuff that proves just how valuable he can be to this team. So a little situation now. And if he is taking advantage of it that quick its a bad sign. Im a fanboy so I don’t like seeing that and wish I could convince myself I didn’t. But as someone who manages a large team of people who are all there for their talent levels I know the signs of a guy who is starting to think his personal talent level earns him special grace. Its only a tiny sign so I could be wrong, but its a sign.

16. Okay,if he’s going to continue to be a knucklehead and never get it,let’s move on to someone who takes his WR job seriously. How many chances does he expect?

17. immylikesthat says:
    October 29, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Kid was late to work, not drinking a 5th in the parking lot. Some of these comments are a bit overblown

___________________________________________

With Gordon’s track record,he has to be on a zero-tolerance policy. Everything he does is going to be magnified,and it should be.

18. & we’re gonna have to listen to all the talking heads pregame & durring the game as NO DOUBT they will all become FIXATED on this & talk about this endlessly & no doubt try to turn it into a colossal story that AGAIN WILL BE TALKED ABOUT & analyzed all week….. YAHDA YAHDA YAHDA……
    But, I guess bringing Josh into the team opened them up for it….. yeah right, who am I kidding, the MEDIA needs no excuse to spread its stories about anything & everything Patriots related….. especially the perceived negative tid bits…..

19. “Mahomes > Brady.

New GOAT already … that didn’t take long!!”

I think you need an English comprehension lesson. Greatest of all time is not a title given to someone with half a season of starts. Its given to someone who has sustained an amazing level of excellence for almost 2 decades.

Mahomes is great, but he’s got to sustain what he’s done for years to come to take that title from Brady. If you want to say he’s the greatest QB right now, fine, eveyone get to like the players they like, that I can’t argue.

20. Knee jerk reactions from jerk fans. He was late. He will be disciplined. Because this is New England. Then it will be set aside and everyone will move on. Stop overreacting.

21. The guy who needs discipline the most can take it the least. I can’t see a relationship between Gordon and Coach Belichick lasting very long.

22. Talk about being handed a lottery ticket at birth and just throwing it away. But, a lot of us have known drug addicts through the years and that’s how they are, just half out of it day in and day out with no attention to detail or any desire to live with any self-respect.Guess we can stop criticizing the Browns for finally dumping him. If the fear of crossing Bill and Tom with the obvious notoriety that will bring doesn’t make him fly straight nothing will.

23. Dublin Demons says:
    October 29, 2018 at 4:39 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No, he can’t.

How many times does he need to prove he can’t before supporters of his talent finally get it? 20? 30? He is already in double-digit territory as it is.

24. phinatic29 says:
    October 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm
    Mahomes > Brady.

New GOAT already … that didn’t take long!!

Not
    For
    Long

————-

It’s cute when fans of teams that can’t beat the Pats hold up other teams or their players in attempt to disparage the Patriots. Keep up the good fight little guy!!

25. You know what? Just cut his butt. Goodbye big paycheck, goodbye pro football career, hello unemployment. So long, fool. Hope you remembered what you allegedly majored in in college.

26. It’s probably why the Pats leaked that they’re looking for a WR, which otherwise makes zero sense. If Gordon gets cut, he can’t pay child support and could do time. Can’t be late in the can.

27. i have known potheads growing up .. they are like him .. and i would imagine that if they had a skill that could get them a job making millions, they would still be potheads .. so this coming from JG does _NOT_ surprise me one bit .. not even a little.

you all need to understand .. people that love weed really love weed .. that’s just the way it is

28. Your stand to make millions I personally would hire someone to littearly babysit me and pay him 100k a season if I have this many issues and given a Golden opportunity

29. I don’t get it. If you think the guy is a playmaker, then refusing to play him punishes the entire team. It basically says that you’d rather lose on principle. There have to be more intelligent ways to “punish” a player for violating a team rule. But we are talking Belichick, who proved in last season’s Super Bowl that his pride is more important to him than winning.

30. Better to punish the team than lose the locker room because you don’t backup what you say.Think Butler is showing he was worth the money this year? FA bust signing of the year

31. He doesn’t like to be punished for his actions. He is going back to the Marijuana after this for sure!

32. trollaikman8 says:

October 29, 2018 at 4:39 pm

———-

I have no problem if that’s the case. There are many, many jobs that are like that and let’s be honest he’s not a rookie so he should know the importance of being on time and what on time means and that could mean showing up a half an hour early. It’s called responsibility and being an adult but too many people want to to shrug off their responsibility and act like a child instead.

33. I am so far down that this will never be seen. It won’t be seen by Josh. I am struggling RIGHT NOW… THS SECOND… but if Josh ever see’s this, you failing somehow affects me, as a fan, it shouldn’t but it does.

34. @RigerThat! – whatever your struggle is, keep up the fight. Please don’t let Josh’s failings negatively impact you! There are many examples of people who have overcome great odds.

35. Dorothy needs to realize real quick that he isn’t in Kansas anymore. He may be in the worst place in football for pulling nonsense like being late.

36. I’m a big fan of people conquering their demons and living a productive life. Daryl Strawberry is a perfect example. I hope this kid finds his peace of mind and get his life in order.

37. What made the Patriots think they could change this guy? He is a loser and never will be straightened out. If I were part of his family, I’d be very worried where he will end up once he’s out of football for good. Because we can all see where he’s headed.

38. Ivan Pavlov says:
    October 29, 2018 at 7:16 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That was less a punishment for Gordon and more a reminder to the team (and potential future players) that the team is greater than the individual. Letting him play sends the message that rules do not matter. Your point about the SB last year is shallow. Butler was getting roasted more than the rest of their CBs were late in the year. Reputation does not mean they would have won when actual recent performance shows they could have lost worse.

39. I repeat after all that Josh Gordon was on the field for the 1st NE snap.I guess desperation wins out over team accountability for Bill B now.