Aaron Rodgers announces $1 million donation to California fire recovery

Getty Images

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has announced that he will donate $1 million to help those affected by wildfires in his native California.

“The California wildfires have devastated countless communities,” Rodgers said in a video posted on Twitter. “In Northern California, where I was born and raised, the city of Paradise burned to the ground, and many of the residents who got out are now displaced to my hometown of Chico, and across the north state. I personally reached out to my friends and the mayor of Chico to find out how to be of the most help. And raising money for both immediate needs and the long-term recovery is what is needed most right now. This is why I’m partnering with the North Valley Community Foundation and donating $1 million to help with recovery and eventual rebuild of these communities.”

Rodgers also announced a donation from State Farm, and encouraged fans to donate to the North Valley Community Foundation.

NFL players have often rallied to support their communities in the wake of tragedy. Perhaps most notably, last year J.J. Watt spearheaded an effort that raised more than $40 million for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

51 responses to “Aaron Rodgers announces $1 million donation to California fire recovery

1. PG&E has every politician in its back pocket. They are never held fully accountable. Maybe someday we will get a Governor with a back bone who will push to break up the corrupt monopoly. Kudos to Rodgers though.

2. I’m sure all of the AR haters out there will find something with this to be critical about, but now’s not the time. An entire town in Northern California is GONE. People have lost their homes and their lives. This man is giving $1M to help – what have you done?

3. ariani1985 says:
    November 21, 2018 at 11:04 am
    Thats great but how do you prevent this from happening again?
    ———————————-
    Unfortunately, only by moving out of fire-prone areas, but wherever you move to will have it’s own weather challenges.

4. Tax write offs are still only a “write off”. He doesn’t save 1 million in taxes. Pretty pathetic trying to put a selfish spin on this, but nothing surprises me anymore. Bear in mind people reading these comments may have lost love ones and homes to this disaster. I’m sure they are thinking about his “tax write off”. Show some class. It’s a very nice gesture by Rodgers that goes without saying.

5. Nice work Aaron. I already made a donation to North Valley. I hope those here who are able do as well.

My heart goes out to all those affected.

6. An athlete putting their money where their mouth is. The trolls that find something negative to say about this really need to evaluate their lives.

7. Great gesture, but if he doesn’t have a bunch of write-offs like this, the $ goes to taxes. So its not really costing him anything. I’d like to see him donate actual time or energy one of these years instead of just throwing money at something.

8. toothfairyretributionmanifesto says:
    November 21, 2018 at 11:16 am

++++

“I personally reached out to my friends and the mayor of Chico to find out how to be of the most help. And raising money for both immediate needs and the long-term recovery is what is needed most right now.”

Do the phone calls count as time and energy? Yes, they do. Your first and second take on this is to criticize the man because you don’t like him. If it was a bye week and Rodgers spent three days helping out on the ground you would of said “that’s great, but why doesn’t richie-rich donate some money”.

Why don’t you just sit the rest of this thread out. There are plenty more Rodgers threads coming this season where you can share your dislike for the man. The subject matter of this thread isn’t something where his conduct or perceived arrogance should be criticized.

9. Good on you Aaron.

@Toothfairy – considering he is hip deep in football season in Green Bay and the bye week was long before the fires, what more can he do right now to get your important “seal of approval”? Good grief – some thoughts should be kept to oneself.

10. Good for him, I’m sure it will be vastly appreciated by people who really need the help.

And speaking of people who need help… Toothfairy, evidently you don’t understand how tax write-offs work. In order to get the tax write-off you have to actually make the donation, so, yes, it’s going to cost him something, $1 million dollars. It may save him a little bit on taxes but that’s a drop in the bucket in comparison and he doesn’t save a penny of the $1 million dollars. Don’t be such a sour-puss.

11. artvan15 says:
    November 21, 2018 at 11:36 am
    Way to keep it anonymous Aaron!!!

———-

Well, considering State Farm will donate a $1 (up to a Million) for every retweet with the hash tag #Retweet4Good, the last thing I’d expect if for him to do is keep it anonymous.

But keep trolling, I’m sure the people affected will find your witty internet comments much more helpful than the money Rodgers is raising.

12. Because of the Trump tax “cut” Rogers cannot claim the donation as an exemption on his tax return, since the total of all itemized deductions, including charitable contributions, are capped at $10,000.

13. Good ole Rodgers. Cannot get a way from his own ego. Had to announce it. Plenty of athletes donates millions of dollars daily and they do not ANNOUNCE so they they are sure to get the credit. Another reason upon many that he is one of the most unlikable human beings on this planet.

14. Ah yes, the usual experts in race relations here are also CPAs with intimate knowledge of how the tax code and charities work. Who could have possibly ever seen this coming

15. I’ve talked alot of trash about Rodgers the football player. But I have tremendous respect for Rodgers now. Thanks Rodgers for donating 1 million dollars to the victims of the wild fires in my state of California.

16. wyboemail says:

Good ole Rodgers. Cannot get a way from his own ego. Had to announce it.
    ———————————
    Do not donate then if it isn’t in your wheelhouse. But find it in yourself not to knock a guy who donates to help families in need. Him announcing it made me aware of where I can help. And to step up to the plate as he did. I, for one, am happy that he made it be know there is a need for assistance.

17. omeimontis says:
    November 21, 2018 at 11:50 am
    ——
    WRONG.
    The $10,000 limit applies to STATE AND LOCAL INCOME TAXES.
    This cap does NOT apply to charitable donations.

Advice from a CPA…..

18. Anyone who thumbs down what Rodgers has done here needs to be slapped silly. People have died and lost everything, I know a few people who have been affected. Some people are just naturally heartless. Very sad.

19. Great move. Great person. This is who the guy is, despite the opinions of narrow-minded haters.

20. starts from your own family first, Erin.
    ——
    Rodgers donates a million, and Minnesota trolls make fun of his relationships and call him a girl’s name. Sad.

21. Some of y’all’s understanding of how tax right offs work really shines a light on our public school system.

22. Good ole Rodgers. Cannot get a way from his own ego. Had to announce it.
    —-
    Smart guy must’ve missed the part about retweets…

23. greg3117 says:
    November 21, 2018 at 11:04 am
    Glad he’s donating, but it really amounts to half of a game check for him.
    /////////////////////////

OK, so are you going to donate a full paycheck+??? I mean, what is your point? I am not a Pack fan and sometimes Aaron Rodgers does come off as a jerk but I’d never knock someone for giving money to a charitable relief fund after a disaster…anyone who would makes themselves look classless.

24. why make it public, now everyone thinks it is a pr stunt. just donate it anonymously and feel good for what you did but sadly, it is a hey look at me league.

25. ipskipskyblue says:

———————————-
    Wrong – myself or most of the readers to this page DO NOT think it is a PR stunt by any means. Its his native area and he is assisting where he can. Why is this so hard for you few to grasp? maybe you would make it a PR stunt if you donated money, but Aarons not doing so here.

26. pkrlvr says:
    November 21, 2018 at 12:50 pm
    ———————
    Ok. Since you made it about our public school system, I had to point it out.
    It’s a tax write off. NOT a tax right off.

LOL

27. williamshatnerstoupee says:
    November 21, 2018 at 12:45 pm
    —–
    Look I’m usually all in on petty comments for fun but for this I could not agree more. People are missing and dying and if trolls on either side need to have petty comments to make this about viking fans vs packer fans its sad. Our busting on each other does not even come close to important compared to what is happening to people there and any help at all should be applauded.

28. Maybe now all he can do is send money, but he’ll have a ton of his time to donate starting in January. Good QBs will still be playing.

29. The Wisconsin donations will start flying in now…and I’m not kidding.

The guy is loved here. (not to be confused with worshipped).

He has such a good heart and truly cares about people and people from Wisconsin recognize who is “real” and who isn’t. Good on you Aaron.

30. Why all the negativity about giving a helping hand. Let’s hear what all the trolls have been doing to help those who lost everything, many of them still missing family members. Get some perspective and get a life. The least you could do if you’re going to mouth off is open your check book and write a check to the Red Cross.

31. Dont get me wrong, 1 Million is a lot of money, even for Aaron Rodgers, and it will help a lot of people…. but the first person he should have contacted was his mom or dad, not the mayor and his friends.

32. dslmn says:
    —————————
    Guess what – it’s possible to mouth off AND financially support the cause.

33. Aaron is a wonderful humanitarian.

Packer fans have so much to be thankful for.

The generosity of our superstar QB.

Our NFL record 13 World Championships.

What a great pre Thanksgiving Day story.

34. So sick of all the AR trolls who can’t get beyond their blind hatred. Didn’t see this much venom when JJ Watt was helping hurricane victims last year. So what has anyone on YOUR team done to help those in California?