Mike Zimmer: I didn’t watch Chiefs-Rams, 54-51 games aren’t my cup of tea

Getty Images

Football fans across the country tuned in to watch a great game between the Chiefs and Rams on Monday night, but Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was not among them.

Zimmer said today that he was watching Packers film while the rest of the football world was watching the Monday night game, and when Zimmer heard how the game went, he didn’t feel like he missed much.

“Honestly, I didn’t watch it. I was prepping for Green Bay. I’m not a 54-51 type of guy,” Zimmer said. “That’s just not my cup of tea.”

Zimmer coached on the defensive side of the ball before he became a head coach, so it’s no surprise that he doesn’t particularly care for a football game in which 105 points are scored. That may be the future of football, but it’s a future Zimmer hopes he can stave off as long as possible.

80 responses to “Mike Zimmer: I didn’t watch Chiefs-Rams, 54-51 games aren’t my cup of tea

1. I didn’t like that kind of game either, it makes offensive ‘superstars’ out of players that wouldn’t if the defense wasn’t purposely handcuffed….

2. New rules, changes to the game and much better athletes require the coaches to adjust to it…if you cant then your coaching days are numbered. Maybe that’s why were seeing younger coaches now that can adjust. Mike Zimmer is a good coach but also has become a predictable coach….

3. >>hbudgess says:
    November 21, 2018 at 7:08 pm

It makes for a different one.
    A game that I don’t enjoy watching as much compared to 10 years ago.

4. hbudgess says:
    November 21, 2018 at 7:08 pm

————————————————————————————-
    I think you’re right. The new rules and new game mean that a lot of the experience and principles applied by Zimmer, Bruce Arians, Belichick and the like just don’t apply anymore.

5. The casual fan who knows little about the game or fantasy “fans” thinks it’s great. I am quickly becoming less interested because the very nature of what made football exciting was that every down was a struggle and had massive implications. Now we have every qb throwing 300 yards and 3 TDs a game. This isn’t football.

6. The game is truly being ruined. Its gonnanget to the point were it comes down to who has the ball last, very much like basketball.and once it gets to that theres really no point in watching until the last 8 minutes or so to see who “takes the last shot” and scores the winning touchdown. TRASH PRODUCT being put out by Godell and the owners.

7. I smell a hater….big time.
    You know he wished they can have a high scoring team. He didn’t seem to mind getting points last year. And you know he saw it. At least after “watching game film”.

8. Zimmer wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust from his offense; good luck with that.

Another HC from the Parcells tree, Sean Payton, chooses to figure out ways to break Zim’s D.

Without an OL, the Vikes can’t run and can’t protect their $84MM man.

Not a recipe for success in the NFL, no matter the era…

#WhoDat

9. I’m with you Mike. The whole media world had to try and tell me it was the game of the century. When TDs become cheapened so does the game. Sports are fun for the unpredictability. That game was far too predictable. Everyone told you all week “tons of points, whomever has the ball last may just win”. Pretty much exactly that. I wasn’t in suspense watching the drive wondering if the Rams or Chiefs would score a TD. That part was almost a given. Yawn. Arena league has never been my thing.

10. ———————-

—–

This is sarcasm, right? Belichick was in the SB last year, Brady threw for 500 yards. Zimmer went to the playoffs with Case Keenum as his QB and the Cards offense is utterly embarrassing without Arians.

11. I’m with Zim.

That game was awesome the other night.

That said, if the NFL think we (the fans) want games like that regularly, they are in big trouble…

12. Between both defenses in the Monday night game they directly scored 21 points and essentially setup 14 more. The Rams grabbed more turnovers off Mahomes alone than the Chiefs punted all night. Both QB’s were strip-sacked for TD’s. Both QB’s routinely smashed under big pass rushes.

There was a lot of defense in the game I watched. It was just a lot scoring defense.

For his part Zimmer as usual just confused.

13. I agree with you Coach Zimmer. I zoned out during the game. A high score used to mean something. It was rare. These days the defense is essentially playing with both hands tied behind their backs. Not entertaining. Maybe for the fantasy football crowd, but I don’t care about fantasy either.

14. Can’t agree with Coach Zimmer more. Why don’t they just change the damn game to 7×7 now and get it the @$^% over with.

15. I think an easy way to start slowing all this scoring down is to simply allow defenders 10 yards of contact as opposed to the 5 yard rule that they have now. At least that gives defensive backs a better chance of actually being able to defend passes. They really gotta start giving back to the defense or this is no longer going to be the football we’ve always come to know.

16. Glad to see that I’m not the only one that has a waning interest in the new NFL. It’s too bad that NFL is pushing the game to the younger generation, with a shorter attention span if there isn’t a score every 2 minutes they check out, the only problem is how do you keep them interested when the commercial time is equal to the action time on your prime time games.Sorry I got off topic, back to the millennials I’m not sure they will ever care about the game as much as those of us who have loved it for decades. Alas the NFL doesn’t seem to care about our opinion and I’m starting to think I shouldn’t care about the NFL anymore either.

17. Who decides what’s real football and what isn’t? There was a college game back in 1916 where the winning team scored 222 points. The NFL’s highest scoring game ever was way back in 1966.

I don’t know what the Rams were running under Jeff Fisher but if that was “real football”, I’m fine with what I saw Monday Night. Rams are now 10-1 because of the way they play.

Adapt or be left behind.

18. What if all the better athletes, from kids to college start focusing on offense only? So they will be superstars and better payed qhen turning pro.

So, in some years the gap between offense and defense will be so large that it will make so boring the games.

19. My favorite high score is 30-27. But I miss the days my man Belichick could win games by teaching his defenders how to jam at the line and knock the stuffing out of any receiver who dared try to catch a pass.

20. ftomasic1961 says:
    November 21, 2018 at 7:04 pm
    ======================================

What about when defenses could body-slam and pile drive QBs head first into the turf? Do you realize that if they don’t tell defenses to stop that stuff that there will NEVER be a showcase of new talent? Dinosaurs going extinct sure do make a lot of noise as they are going

21. They showed a graphic at the end of the game–that was the third highest scoring game ever. The highest ever NFL point total was a game played in 1966. Just good old-time football.

22. I think Zimmer hates two positions the most : Kicker and QB if he had his way he would get rid of both

23. So he knew what the score would be? He needs to go to Vegas, with his powers he could be a millionaire!

24. I found the game very boring, it had me for a while but the inability of both defenses to stop the other team turned it into a tennis-like experience. So what did we see great offense or very bad defense?

25. Zimmer already lost to the Rams once this year. The only reason for him to watch the Rams again is if he thinks his team will face us in the playoffs. Saying he didn’t watch the game means that he doesn’t think so (unless he lied, and head coaches *never* do that).

The Rams are going to the playoffs. As for the Vikings … we’ll see.

26. Zimmer is ostensibly a defensive master mind, right? Of course Track Meet football isn’t his cup of tea. I’m with him 100% Last weekend, I watched 1/2 of one NFL game and that was it.

NFL football isn’t the same game anymore. Others can disagree and I respect that but I can find a lot of things to do besides that. I spent Sunday doing volunteer fall yard clean up and winterization of homes for Seniors (yeah, there are people older than me out there). I don’t feel as though I missed a thing. When I was a younger man, I can promise you that would NOT have happened.

27. Panthers HC Ron Rivera said the Rule change for the defense guys setup a score like that
    which i agree with the rules like they are the NFL’s top DEfense ever wouldn’t stand a chance

28. Herm Edwards refuses to watch the Super Bowl.

These two sound equally intelligent.

Zim is terribly overrated as a head coach.

29. 700levelvet says:
    November 21, 2018 at 7:07 pm
    He knew the score before it happened? Is he a fan of 38-7 scores?

No, I think he prefers 23-21 scores more. By the way, How are your Eagles doing this year?

30. To me its turned into one big 7 on 7 drill. Pass rushers will be at a premium the next few years in the draft because DBs have their hands tied. Teams like the Bears have a ferocious front 7 and thats the whole key to keeping high powered offenses in check because you look at a WR wrong you’re gonna get flagged – but its the new NFL and its the new craze. Kinda like when the Cover 2 (Tampa) or when the 46 Defense came out everybody latches on to it.

Defense wins championships and Offense puts butts in the seats. Americans love scoring, hence the reason soccer took so long to become popular here.

31. I just don’t watch BSPN, which also happens to spare me 99% of the bad games in the season. Weird.

32. Slow news day huh?

His next game is against the Packers. Whose footage should he be watching?

BTW who told the NFL we need 100 pt games? No one asked me. 24 – 17 is a great game in my mind. If more and more points are needed to draw an audience ( the NBA is going this way too) the soccer and Hockey folks are gonna freak.

33. The whole football world wasn’t tuned in. Since the game starts so late and some of us have to work the next day I’ve given up on primetime games unless my team is playing.

34. thebeeper says:
    November 21, 2018 at 7:41 pm
    He probably couldn’t see the tv with his bad eyes
    ————————————————————————-
    A really bad and immature comment, beeper.

The man almost lost sight in one of his eyes. No one should make light of this.

35. A better question would be “Do any head coaches watch all the games every week or do they only watch film of their own game and their next opponent?”

36. therealzeitgeist says:
    November 21, 2018 at 8:08 pm

For his part Zimmer as usual just confused.
    ======================
    Only the ones that do not understand what good defense looks like are making the comments about the TD’s that were a result of a pass rush.

37. I tend to agree. The NFL has created this with its rules. Who would want to play defense in this NFL?

38. primemundo says:
    November 21, 2018 at 7:40 pm
    Why are only a few teams putting up these kind of numbers then?
    ))))))))))))))
    Some NFL teams are allowed to run pick/rub routes or OPI. And other teams get called for doing it. You can guess the teams that can run them because they do all the time.

39. Ok, tell the truth. If your team was capable of doing what the Rams, Saints and Chiefs can do, would you be ranting on about the NFL becoming the Arena League? I doubt it. I’m betting you’d be on the adapt or die side.