Baker Mayfield snubs Hue Jackson for hug, criticizes Hue to media

Getty Images

There is no love lost between Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield and Browns head coach-turned-Bengals assistant coach Hue Jackson.

After Mayfield threw four touchdown passes in a win over the Bengals today, Jackson approached him on the field and tried to give him a hug. But Mayfield, who had been hugging Bengals players before Jackson tried to hug him, stuck a hand out to ensure there would be nothing more than a handshake.

Talking to reporters after the game, Mayfield made clear that he’s not a fan of the fact that Jackson, who was fired at midseason, went to help out a division rival.

“Left Cleveland, goes down to Cincinnati, that’s just somebody that’s in our locker room, asking us to play for him, and then goes to a team that we play twice a year? Everybody can have their spin on it, but that’s how I feel,” Mayfield said.

After Jackson was fired, he went on a media tour in which he said he was hoping the Browns would draft Carson Wentz or Patrick Mahomes. Mayfield apparently noticed, and did not appreciate it.

78 responses to “Baker Mayfield snubs Hue Jackson for hug, criticizes Hue to media

1. Baker could have said and done a lot of things to throw Hue under the bus.
    I think he showed maturity and went about it the right way.
    the “Us” mentality above all else.

2. Die hard browns fan. Did not like the baker draft pick. Man was I wrong. I have fallen in love with this kid. Fighter. Tough. Represents our town proudly. I feel so glad he’s our guy. Kudos to Dorsey for having the guts to go against what everyone said and picked this kid. I’ve bought 2 jerseys in my 45 years. Clay. Bernie. Bout to go baker.

3. He most likely has better reasons not to like the guy.

He was out of work. It’s kind of immature to expect him to turn down a job offer just because it’s in his former team’s division.

4. Before anyone says that Hue was fired and merely got another job…remember that the browns are paying him $5M with offsets for the next 2 years so he went to coach a division rival with 2 games against his old team this year….for free.

5. Jackson refused to give Mayfield any reps in the off season, not a one.

How he continues to find employment is beyond me.

6. Jackson didn’t leave by choice. He was fired.

It pretty immature to be “hating” on someone because he has a family to feed and Cincinnati was the only team offering a job. Not everyone signed a 4yr, $32.68m guaranteed rookie contract, Baker.

7. Maybe Baker doesn’t realize that Hue left Cincy to come to Cleveland, where he played his old team twice a year. I get that it’s mid-season and all, and I like the attitude of the Browns now, but he probably could have left it at a handshake and moved on. Ah well. I don’t think anyone is going to lose any sleep over this.

8. I think that’s horribly immature of him. Did he really expect Jackson to pass up the only job offer he had, at a significant salary, just because it was from a division rival of his former employer? Mayfield seems like an entitled kid with no grasp on the real world.

9. Mayfield proves that coach Baby Huey should never be around ANY professional team – Huey is a stupid cancer that has no talent and is a negative force.

Love how the Cleveland Football team is doing well under Coach Bounty.

10. Hard to fault Baker feeling that way, fresh out of college and all. But this is business. Many players have no compunction preventing them from going to a division rival; in fact, some embrace the opportunity with glee (Richard Sherman). Baker will harden up and get a different perspective soon enough.

11. Rookie Immature Statement. Maybe because he is young he might deserve a pass.
    Bottom line is many of his Browns teammates…who if CUT (fired) by Browns…and were then offered a contract by Cin….would take it in a heartbeat.

12. Once this dude gets his head screwed on straight, there’s no telling what he can accomplish. But make no mistake, it’s not screwed on straight right now. He’s a knucklehead.

13. These must be some humiliating times for Hue. If I had his bank, I’d go underground and binge on ice cream for a few years.

14. I wouldn’t trade a single misserable last 30yrs as a Brownie for today… #1) Art Modell fired Belichecki AFTER Art moved the team to Baltimore. The “Browns” never fired the GOAT. #2) like SJD1234 (above), I owned a #19 & I remember vividly a Bengals fan “accosting” me at the Sam Wyche snowball comment game when I was 10!!! Ten yrs old & some Bengals fan felt tough enough to pick a fight at a urinal in Cincy with a 10yr ild a child … #3) it still happens. #4) Mayfield + Chubb + Njoku + Higgins + Landry + that defense or #93, #95, #65 + #21 + #22… #5) welcome Cincy to the London Bengals of 2023!!!

15. Grow up Mayfield. If you we’re cut and a divisional rival wanted to sign you, would you just say “no, that’s against my principles?”

16. He also went on to say that it was nothing personal against Hue and that it was a mindset he has chosen to take to consider him a rival now and that he’s choosing to take the division games seriously.

The guy has adopted the Browns and the city and I love it. They lose a team first guy in Joe Thomas who spent his entire career telling people who said he should leave Cleveland that he wasn’t interested in playing for any other team and right away replace him with another guy who will probably play in Cleveland his whole career and put the team on his shoulders.

I guess the Manziel comparisons are done.

17. I see the naysayers from the peanut gallery keep telling Baker to grow up. Well the young man was quite impressive in that he still shook the guy hand. As for his opinion, Hue running around on his media tour dropping his 2 cents was pure classless. At least Jeff Fisher just went away.

18. Hue all but called him a bust when he was on his “it’s not my fault” tour after he got fired. Good for Baker for not pretending

19. Their head coach “Dr Heat” must have given a rousing motivational anti-Hue pre-game speech.

Baker Mayfield is still pissed off. Turn it off, man. Tom Herman is going to give you plenty to be upset about next week, and help Buckeye Nation jump the Sooners to get into the playoffs.

20. Mike Rossmeier says:
    November 25, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Hue went to a rival with the ammo to sink the Browns. He knew EVERYTHING about EVERYONE, and im sure he spilled his guts to Lewis to get the win. The only problem with the plan was, Hue didnt even pay attention to his players, and could care less if they had talent or not. Was his headset even plugged in? The funny part is, Hue’s losing streak continues, no matter where he goes. Although he isnt driving the bus this time, he is changing the tires after each blowout now, BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, Hue going to the Bengals was the best thing he has done for the Browns in 3 years,

21. Great win by the Clowns today over an injury ravaged Bengals team. I understand how Clowns fans are excited as they have 1 playoff appearance since they were brought back from the ashes & have been a dumpster fire ever since!
    But be very careful Clownie followers…..your are ecstatic for a team that is 4-6-1. Somebody better teach Baker a thing about humility & burning bridges.
    This is a very humbling league, ask your boy Jon Manziel. I’m gonna love to see this punk eat his words for the next year & a half until he’s out of the league!!!!
    4-6-1……& dancing in the streets of Cleveland! Let that sink in Clowns fans…..let that sink in. SMH

22. He’s not obligated for hugging and a handshake is quite enough especially after the way Jackson basically declared it was not his fault for all those losses. Mayfield wears his emotions and there’s nothing wrong with that, at least you know where you stand with him.

23. Again, to everyone saying that guess was fired and is feeding his family, he signed a 4 year, $20M @ $5M per year contract to coach the Browns…FULLY GUARANTEED with offsets, meaning that whatever the Bengals are paying him (reported to be $250k per year) goes back to the Browns to offset the money they owe him. Hue is making zero dollars through the end of 2019 to coach a division rival. Also, he bashed Baker on the way out the door and said several times on national TV after being fired that he wanted Wentz and Mahomes and spent half a year benching Baker.

The 24 year old rookie who has no love lost is not the classless one here.

24. akira1971 says:
    November 25, 2018 at 5:13 pm
    Jackson didn’t leave by choice. He was fired.
    —————————————————
    Pretty sure Jackson has made more than that in his career, not to mention the check he’s getting from the Browns. He and his wife won’t go hungry.

25. Todd Haley was really prepared to sabotage everybody just so he can succeed. I didn’t like him since I heard the Kevin Curtis comments, now I hope he never gets another NFL job.

26. Hue is going to be paid $5 million by the Browns regardless of whether he coaches or not. He did not have to take a job with the Bengals or any other team. Hue’s situation is in no way equivalent to most players being cut.

27. I think he should have handled the situation differently. My guess is he didn’t like Hue as the coach in which case he should have been glad he left. It obviously didn’t help the Bungles today…..or probably ever.

28. TruthfulDolphinsFanNotWearingBlinders says:
    November 25, 2018 at 6:26 pm
    Baker will be selling insurance by 2020, so overrated.

——-

I would take him over any of our Dolphins quarterbacks all day long

29. Hue wanted to coach in the NFL….the Browns didn’t want him Cincinnati did. This is a profession. Baker can burn bridges and perhaps it’ll never come back to bite him. Hue is smart to take the money And coach to try to revive his reputation.

30. I can’t believe just how many people aren’t getting what Baker said. Hue is a ‘me’ guy, not an ‘us’ guy. Hue getting fired was the greatest thing to happen for the Browns in 2+ years, well that and Sushi getting the axe…I see a team actually rallying around each and a no nonsense coach.

31. Hue didn’t just go to a division rival. He went to a team he had worked for twice before after he was fired. And why would Mayfield be upset about Hue saying he wanted to draft Wentz or Mahomes? They came to the NFL 2 and 3 years before him. It’s not like he said he wanted Darnold or Lamar Jackson. Wentz or Mahomes may have put him in a position where they wouldn’t have had the first overall pick. If Mayfield is upset with Hue Jackson, I hope it’s not because of either of those things or he’s being petty.

32. Someone should explain to Baker that Hue didn’t “leave” Cleveland…he was fired. You can’t blame the guy for going to work for a team that he was at before he was a Brown. This Baker kid is really dumb, and turning in to a Grade A D-bag, if he wasn’t already one before the NFL.

33. How would he have reacted had it been a Brown’s player that was picked up by the Bengals after being cut? Pretty much the same thing, except Hugh leaves with money still coming in.

34. Players, however young, are permitted to expect loyalty from their coaches. In this case, Jackson’s strongest ability as a coach is the ability to land coaching jobs,

35. bengalguy says:
    November 25, 2018 at 6:11 pm

—-

This “Clowns” team you refer to has won a playoff game more recently than your “Bungles.” Also, say what you want about the injuries but the Browns showed up to play today and Cincinnati clearly didn’t. Hue Jackson’s magic is continuing to work.

36. Can’t blame Mayfield for just wanting the handshake, but I feel like it’s only a matter of time until he shows his immaturity. He did it all too often in college.

37. riggo08 says:
    November 25, 2018 at 7:10 pm

–——————-

And then walked on twice. And then became a starter twice. And then won his conference twice. And then made the playoffs. And then threw for enough yards and TDs and points to keep his team in it. And then won the Heisman. Give me that immaturity all day long.

38. Just shows you how much Hue is worth. He gives the Bengals intel and they get beat badly. No wonder the Browns stunk so bad Under Hue, he cant even give good scouting reports on his own team.

39. I don’t really understand this if that’s the actual reason. Jackson’s debt of loyalty to anything pertaining to the 2018 Cleveland Browns was dissolved the moment his key card stopped working. Rah-rah move the Cleveland fans will like though.

40. As a Bengals fan I think the Browns are going to be set up the best in the future. They have so much young talent and the Bengals can’t ever get over their stubbornness and change up their coaching staff. Once Ben has to retire I think the Steelers are going to have a tough time. The Ravens have Jackson but he is extremely raw and is an unknown. Baker had that it factor and then some and he is going to be a very successful qb moving forward. He’s definitely the guy and made up of the right stuff.

41. For those blaming Baker, please remember that Hugh spent a lot of time after being fired from Cleveland trying to save his reputation and re-write history with interviews, etc… Nothing was his fault…it would have been better if they had let him do it his way…Todd Haley this and Todd Haley that. I’m sure that rubbed a few Browns players the wrong way. He really didn’t say anything too bad and I think people are just trying to read into it too much and blow it way out of proportion. They don’t like Hue Jackson…..who cares? I’m just glad that the Browns investment in Hugh Jackson finally is paying off with wins….they just had to send his coaching skills to the other team to make it happen….LOL.

42. BTW. How come no one is talking about Damarious Randall now? All Baker did was choose a handshake instead of a hug. Randall literally intercepted a ball and handed it to Hue.

43. To all the braying that Hue had to take the Cincy job to feed his family, please get a grip on reality. Hue made millions from the Cleveland Browns. If he doesn’t have enough cash for a few months until the season ends, he has bigger problems than finding another job.

The Bengals hired Hue Jackson for ONE reason: To pick his brains about the Browns playbook, coaches, personnel, etc. (Apparently there wasn’t much to pick!)

I love what Baker Mayfield said and did. That’s leadership right there.

44. Terrible Analogies says:
    November 25, 2018 at 9:58 pm
    I love what Baker Mayfield said and did. That’s leadership right there.

You’re name should be Terrible Opinion.

You are so wrong about why the Bengals hired Hue. It had NOTHING to do with bringing him in so he can beat the Browns. The Bengals have done that quite often without Hue. They brought him in because Mike Brown likes him and he likes familiarity. Hue worked as a Bengals assistant for years. Bringing him in as a “consultant” makes a lot of sense to Mike Brown even if we think it is stupid.

Mayfield is an idiot if he thinks Hue owes him and/or the Browns anything. I have no issue with Mayfield not hugging Hue because of some of the things Hue said after he got fired. That said, Hue has every right to work for any other team that offers him a job and the Bengals, of course, were the first (and probably only) team to do so.

45. I do not fault Baker but at the same time, Baker is a punk at the end of the day and when the Browns fail him he will probably sign to play in Pittsburgh because they will need a QB.

46. Baker’s likely more mad at the stream of interviews and the coaching clashes between Jackson and Haley that made Mayfield’s job harder for half the year. Jackson going to Cincy was just something on top of the prior problem.

47. Taken out of context. Baker essentially said that Hue is just another guy on another team now. Just like any player who would’ve leave, “no hate” but he is on the other team now. That is what he said.

48. Mayfield switched colleges with a conference rival in college, but Hue is a bad guy for doing it as a pro. Go wave a flag, color guard. Enjoy your win over a team that has quit on its head coach.

49. IMO I prefer a player who speaks his mind,… and I think most fans would too. I’m tired of cliche lines. But there needs to be some thought before choosing the words. There’s an old saying,… “It’s Not WHAT you say,… It’s HOW you say it”