NFL TV ratings way up for Week 12

Getty Images

The NFL saw a significant increase in its TV ratings for Week 12.

On Thanksgiving, all three games had more viewers this year than last year. The early game in Detroit was up 7 percent from last year, the late afternoon game in Dallas was up 16 percent from last year, and the prime time game was up 28 percent from last year.

On Monday night, ESPN got 18 percent more viewers than Week 12 last year. On Sunday night, NBC got 8 percent more viewers than last year.

The only one of the NFL’s eight broadcast windows that wasn’t up from Week 12 last year was the afternoon game on FOX, which was down 5 percent. FOX’s loss was CBS’s gain, with the early game on CBS increasing in viewership by 26 percent from last year, and the late afternoon game on CBS increasing in total viewership by 19 percent from last year.

The NFL is now comfortably ahead of where it was last year, and the stories about the league’s TV ratings decline are starting to feel like a distant memory.

49 responses to “NFL TV ratings way up for Week 12

1. chickensalad43 says:
    November 28, 2018 at 12:59 pm

The customer is always right. And they weren’t fond of the stupid kneeling crap last year. It really is that simple whether you admit it or not.

————————————–

The customer is always right, the battle hymn of the ignorant. The customer is most often dead wrong. Good customer service is properly and politely applying policy, while having the customer feel he has been valued, despite his idiotic beliefs.

2. I see the babies that were crying over grown men kneeling think the ratings are up because of “less protest”. Except that most of the babies said they were done with the NFL so what does it matter if there’s more or less protest? Also there is still no rule prohibiting players from kneeling as you demanded. Just as your silly Nike burning/boycott amounted to nothing your silly NFL boycott amounted to nothing either.

3. Hmmm – what could be different?

Could it be that we haven’t had weekly reports about who is kneeling and who is standing for the anthem???

4. As both a vet and a die hard NFL fan since the 80’s, I stopped watching last year because of the kneeling. Now that they’ve stopped, I’m watching again. Its really that simple, atleast for me.

5. kevines255 says:
    November 28, 2018 at 12:57 pm
    FakeNews. People gave up football due to kneeling and turning it in to flag football.

Think I got the sarcasm. But you are right even if it was serious. Those that care about kneeling still watch. The flag football…listen I don’t even like the new rules. GOATS when you can’t touch anyone?

But you know what? I still watch it.

6. But wait, I thought ratings were down because everyone cut cable? Did they all tie their cables back together again? The protest hurt business… I have no idea why people cant bring themselves to admit that.

7. Guess in hopes to avoid the players kneeling and not playing the anthem after the low ratings. It is about ratings and money. Sad but true for the NFL.

8. The boycotts were almost as believable as all the people that said they were moving to Canada if Trump got elected. Almost.

9. The Thursday games were all horrible. Every team was unprepared. All all those injuries because of the short week too. What a massacre for those poor players. This is just a cash grab by Goodell and his billionaires. TNF is a bust and they need to cancel it…

…Oops sorry, these were NFL Thanksgiving games? They’re awesome!! What a great tradition! Can’t get enough of three matchups starting around noon!! What, even less time for players to heal and prepare? Who cares – it’s Thanksgiving football!!

10. Although, like Mike Zimmer, I’m not a fan of games with no defense, the product on the field has been better this year for numerous reasons.

But game attendance looks to still be a major problem.

11. It astounds me all of the people in this comment section claiming victory for the idea that anthem-kneeling didn’t have an effect on ratings.

Except there is….. one player still kneeling? Seems to me like the resurgence of viewership in 2018 is proof positive that kneeling was absolutely the cause. Football didn’t suddenly get more interesting, and cord-cutting is happening at a rapid pace. There really aren’t any other sensical factors that could have caused this resurgence other than the death (mostly) of the kneeling issue.

12. So all those “it’s just the chord cutter” morons were wrong is what you’re telling us. Gee, seems those of us who knew the declining ratings were entirely due to the poor publicity from the NFL seemingly, (whether rightly or wrongly), to be encouraging their players to denigrate the Flag during the National Anthem and to be celebrated for it by the NFL’s television partners, were correct in our assesment that as soon as the protests stopped and stopped being celebrated by the media, then the ratings would return to their normal level and the “chord cutter” excuse was always bogus.

13. returntoexcellence says:
    November 28, 2018 at 1:39 pm

———————–

They didn’t cut their antenna cable, obviously. I don’t have cable, and I watched all 3 games over-the-air. Of course, like most people, I don’t have a Nielsen Box, so my viewing of the games didn’t count in the ratings.

14. It was because of the kneeling and protests. Was the NFL’s ratings hurting in 2014 or 2015? The decline in viewers started in 2016. What was the common denominator? Think about it. DirecTV even offered refunds to people because of it. The same people denying this fact are probably the same ones who believe second hand smoke can’t cause cancer.

15. conormacleod says:
    November 28, 2018 at 2:41 pm
    In your face you fake boycotters

——————
    In who’s face? They got what they wanted and so they are returning. The fact that this can be seen in the ratings would suggest it was not fake at all.

16. jjackwagon says:
    November 28, 2018 at 1:52 pm

————————
    The boycotters were true (as the ratings fluctuations show), but the move to Canada was not. Canada was quite relieved BTW.

17. chickensalad43 says:
    November 28, 2018 at 1:24 pm
    Let’s do math:
    2017: NFL + protesting = low ratings

2018: NFL – protesting = high ratings

Am I missing anything?
    _______________________________________
    2018: NFL – maybe 1 or 2 players protest and isn’t celebrated and highlighted by the NFL’s television partners like in 2017. So, yes you’re missing…literally everything: context, facts, reason.

18. mrplow3 says:
    November 28, 2018 at 1:19 pm
    ————————————–
    Im a vet too and I say if they want to kneel to protest police brutality of blacks then that fine because that why I joined…to defend their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to protest!!!!

19. Think of all the excuses people made for the NFL’s declining ratings and the only one that wasn’t permanent and was entirely self-inflicted were the Anthem protests. Now that perhaps 1-3 players league wide are protesting and it isn’t being given the oxygen and attention by the media, it is no longer an issue and ratings are rising.

All of the other excuses proffered: chord cutting, (which never made sense since all but MNF doesn’t require a chord and is free to air); concussions, namby pamby officials taking the violence out of the game, etc….if those excuses were valid then ratings would still be declining.

20. I watched last year because I didn’t give two hoots if someone was protesting or not.

Still don’t care … but I’m not watching either for no reason other than there’s something more interesting on. Perhaps next year there won’t be … Either way what others do or believe is improper will not sway what I do. Particularly when both sides bore me to tears.

21. The kneeling wouldn’t have been an issue at all if the media hadn’t made such a big stink about it. Nobody would even have noticed.

22. You’re welcome – signed Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

This is what America’s Team and respect for the flag brings.

23. As both a vet and a die hard NFL fan since the 80’s, I stopped watching last year because of the kneeling. Now that they’ve stopped, I’m watching again. Its really that simple, at least for me.

Be careful — some of the players could be *thinking* about systemic racial inequality while the silly song plays. You might want to stop watching again, just to be safe.

24. Amazon, Hulu and other streaming services have joined the Nielsen rating service for tracking. No streaming services participated until this year. This is the direct result of the magical “jump” in ratings.

#fakenews Football is still tanking and on the decline.

25. If you truly “boycotted” the NFL due to players kneeling during the anthem, then you shouldn’t be watching it now, because it’s still allowed by NFL rules and while fewer players are protesting, at least a few still are.

26. I guess someone finally told the orange man there were more important issues besides him continually whining about not getting an NFL franchise.

27. Some of the viewers that were lost may not have tuned back in. It could be that there’s more casual fans watching due to the more “excitement” with the more open offensive game.

28. It’s been mentioned, but the players moving away from SJW logic and not standing for the Anthem has brought viewers back. Embrace SJWs and you lose. Reject SJWs and you win.