Mike McCarthy addressed the Packers one last time on Wednesday

Getty Images

Abruptly fired after Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals, former Packers coach Mike McCarthy didn’t get a chance to tell his players farewell. On Wednesday, he did.

According to Packers.com, McCarthy addressed the team on Wednesday.

“He did a fantastic job talking to the team not just about football and winning football games,” interim coach Joe Philbin told reporters on Thursday. “His passion for the team and his love for the players was clearly evident. I’m sure it was emotional for him and everyone in the room. I thought he did a great job.”

The move provided closure both to McCarthy and his team.

“I think that’s the Green Bay Packer way,” Philbin said. “This is a first-class organization all the way around. It’s been like that for 100 seasons, I would guess. I’m not that old, but I’m guessing it’s been that for a long time. We do things the right way around here. Mark [Murphy], Russ [Ball] and Brian [Gutekunst] were all totally supportive. They think that was the right thing to do as did I. Hopefully, it’ll help.”

It surely will help McCarthy. It may or may not help the Packers, who will play on Sunday their first game since the end of the 2005 season without McCarthy as the head coach. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the only connection to the last team that played for anyone other than McCarthy.

35 responses to “Mike McCarthy addressed the Packers one last time on Wednesday

1. He was a good coach, but his “play not to lose” mindset lost more games than won. Good luck, wherever he lands. I guarantee you……he gets it.

2. “I think that’s the Green Bay Packer way,” Philbin said. “This is a first-class organization all the way around. It’s been like that for 100 seasons, I would guess. I’m not that old, but I’m guessing it’s been that for a long time.
    ————————————

Philbin must have been living on the Moon from 1970 to 1995.

3. Completely agree with the words of Philbin re: Green Bay Packer organization. They don’t always get things right, but they did regarding McCarthy’s request to address the team one last time. Classy move. How often do you hear of this happening? I think it’s rare, especially with a month to go in the season.

4. “I think that’s the Green Bay Packer way,” Philbin said. “This is a first-class organization all the way around. It’s been like that for 100 seasons.
    ————–
    You mean, like the Lombardi way? The way Winston Moss described the Green Bay Packer way?

Clearly, Philbin is desperately trying to the get the HC job.
    Given how they “Packer way” works, Philbin will get the job just like the GM did.

5. dubzito says:
    December 6, 2018 at 1:05 pm
    seems like a classy move… can’t recall this opportunity ever being afforded to a fired coach
    ——–
    McCarthy is still under contract and has a final payment coming.
    There was no risk to the “Packer Way” by letting McCarthy speak.
    Otherwise, the final payment could have possibly been withheld due to violating a clause within the contract.

6. Zonkers:
    >>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<
    Not so sure about that, but GM choice isn't a good example to compare by. IMO, early returns on Gute are very +.

7. Liberalsruineverything says:
    December 6, 2018 at 1:20 pm
    ————————————

Philbin must have been living on the Moon from 1970 to 1995.
    ——————
    Philbin looks more like a Mars man lol.

8. I’m a Viking fan and I think the Packers made a mistake. I think they will waste the next 2-3 years of Rodger’s prime. Zimmer has made plenty of mistakes & many times I’m unhappy with his lack of agression, his play calling & his scheming but fire him no. I think it will harder to find a .600%+ winning coach than they the Packers realize.

9. Aaron Rodgers parents were in town at his house last Sunday for his birthday.

Sorry to also ruin that false narrative that so many of you enjoy.

10. Many thanks to the many Viking trolls for their prudent advice, guidance, and heartfelt opinions. It’s not easy to care that much when your own “guaranteed to float” ship is taking on water at an unexpected and disappointing rate. It must be annoying that the Vikings will be mathematically eliminated at about the same time as the Packers, and the SuperBowl remains unattainable. Again.

11. stellarperformance says:
    December 6, 2018 at 1:14 pm
    —————
    His record as Packers HC was 125-72-2 which means you are totally incorrect.

12. wilkersonswobblykankles says:
    December 6, 2018 at 1:06 pm
    At least he did not tweet to the team.
    Can you imagine being fired twice in the same week?
    —————–
    groupersandwich says:
    December 6, 2018 at 1:57 pm
    McCarthy: “Should I unpack my khakis?”
    Rodgers: “You keep those khakis packed.”
    ————-
    There you go…….If you’re going to troll at least be funny and/or original. You guys could teach your fellow fans a thing or two.

13. stellarperformance says:
    December 6, 2018 at 2:42 pm
    Many thanks to the many Viking trolls for their prudent advice, guidance,
    _________

Absolutely, this news on Sunday, allowed the Vikings fans to pretend they didn’t even play a game, on Sunday. As they say “Hey look over there” and ignore the fact that they were equally as impressive vs. the Patriots as GB was.

14. freefromwhatyouare says:
    December 6, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Aaron Rodgers parents were in town at his house last Sunday for his birthday.

Sorry to also ruin that false narrative that so many of you enjoy.
    _________

Oh, were you there? What kind of cake did they serve?

15. stellarperformance says:
    December 6, 2018 at 2:42 pm

________

Uh-huh. You know what? We’re doing just fine. Just thankful that our entire organization isn’t a complete dumpster fire like some others I could name. Nothing humbles you, does it?

16. shaggytoodle says:
    December 6, 2018 at 3:33 pm

___________

Actually, I was thinking about how much more impressive they were against the Cardinals than GB was.

17. “Were you there?”

======
    Wouldn’t you like to know.

Robbie are you doubting his parents were in town for his birthday? It’s common knowledge at this point.

Try to keep up👌

18. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    December 6, 2018 at 4:03 pm

_________________

Whatever helps you feel good. That @ NE to ! Sea a week later can be a doozy for teams.

19. Tough week for Aaron, first he gets his head coach fired. Which made this an awkward day for the sensitive one #12. Plus he spent the other day saying he was held accountable in direct contradiction to what is known from the former coach that directly called him out.