Getty Images

The ex-girlfriend of Reuben Foster, who told police he attacked her in February, then testified under oath that she had lied to the police at that time, now says it was actually on the witness stand that she was lying and the original story she told to the police was the truth.

Elissa Ennis said on Good Morning America that she was lying in court when she said Foster never struck her.

“I was not telling the truth. I was not telling the truth,” Ennis said.

Ennis said she lied under oath because she loved Foster and didn’t want to end his NFL career.

So what actually happened between the two of them in February? She now says her account to the police was accurate.

“He dragged me down the stairs two or three times, he punched me in my face two or three times, pulled my hair, kicked me, spit on me,” Ennis said.

The 49ers cut Foster when he was again arrested for domestic violence against Ennis, this time in the team hotel. Ennis is now accusing the 49ers of trying to interfere with the police investigation.

“The 49ers came up there. I have pictures of the 49ers coming up there talking to police, saying I’m the same ex-girlfriend who sat up there and lied,” Ennis said.

Ennis also said she was shocked Foster was claimed on waivers by Washington.

“I can’t believe somebody picked him up,” Ennis said.

Foster is currently under contract and getting paid by Washington, but he is not eligible to play because he is on the Commissioner Exempt list.

69 responses to “Reuben Foster’s ex-girlfriend now says she was lying when she recanted previous allegation

1. A year long ban is needed.

6 games for domestic violence
    6 games repeat offender
    4 games for not having the smarts to leave the woman alone after she gave you a get out of jail free card

2. Lying under oath is perjury. She should be prosecuted. And the validity of the entire case is now in question. No way they can get a conviction now.

3. “I did what I had to do for the person I loved. I thought he would change. Anybody in my position would do the same,” Ennis said.

Anybody who prioritizes a life of financial comfort over their personal safety and self-respect, yes.

4. This whole thing is an example of two people loss in the wilderness. In Gods name please come clean and both of you get help.

Only then can you both move on with your lives.

To many people today find them selves in the very same situation. But they get help and lead productive lives.

Man… it isn’t hard.. Ask God for help and he will provide someone to answer your needs.

Both of these young people lives can be turn around… we all just have to have some hope.

5. I’m not in Reuben Foster’s corner, but as a witness, she is absolutely not credible. Hopefully they have enough evidence otherwise because who knows what this lady is doing at this point.

6. How about the NFL just rules that if you have a felony, you can’t play in the league.

Here come the apologists for these animals…

7. Gives the skins a little more leverage in their PR response, which has been an absolute train wreck

8. I realize that she is (likely) the victim in this case, but shouldn’t she be charged with perjury?

9. “I have pictures of the 49ers coming up there talking to police, saying I’m the same ex-girlfriend who sat up there and lied,” Ennis said.”

Yes you are.

10. This is why cops who handle domestic dispute calls get all my respect: They deal with this sort of garbage all the time, talking to the exact same people over and over again who one minute are claiming abuse but then the next are saying nothing really happened, rinse, repeat. If we knew how much money these sorts of merry-go-round calls cost we’d probably fall over.

11. “I did what I had to do for the person I loved. I thought he would change. Anybody in my position would do the same,” Ennis said.

Wrong.

12. Said it before and I’ll say it again, I have no idea where this falls on the scale of her being vindictive vs him being violent. Anything in that realm is possible, because she has changed stories multiple times, and she has been caught falsely accusing another man before if I recall.

But no matter what happened, they are both certifiable, neither should have had anything to do with the other after the first case, and Foster is basically unemployable because he is either a serial abuser or so wildly undisciplined that he is going to get himself into this hot water all the time. And not just with Ennis, but also drug charges and other problems.

A waste of an incredible talent.

13. So she basically just confessed to Prejury. I mean god only knows what happen with those two besides themselves, but…she basically confessed to prejury and shot her credibility in the foot

14. Well…crushed her credibility and committed perjury. You’ll be seeing Foster in Spring Training to start in 2019

15. It’s sad that there are dozens of players who would give anything for an opportunity that other players just throw away.

16. This is not uncommon for domestic abuse victims to lie to protect their abuser. They feel alienated and lost so they hope the person abusing her will change. But in most cases they do not. I believe her story only because this is more normal than not.

17. Foster gets signed, but for how long. Meanwhile, Kaepernick still sits UNEMPLOYED because owners have labeled him him “Bad For Business”.

What’s wrong with this picture?

18. First off, there is absolutely no excuse for putting your hands on a woman in anger. None. Zip. Zero. It’s not a “mistake”. It’s a serious behavioral problem, it’s criminal, and it is something “real men” absolutely do not do. Foster needs to be suspended for a minimum of 1 year if not permanently. He is definitely proving that he doesn’t learn from the past. Also, I’m guessing the Judge in the case in February is not too pleased with her admitting perjury. She should be charged.

19. Lots of amateur legal analysts here. First, while her credibility is shaken, it is far from shot. There are mountains of research on psychological abuse, which the prosecution (or her civil attorneys) could use to explain why she lied under oath. It’s plausible that someone would lie to save their partner’s skin, and then admit to lying when the partner abused her again. Or, yeah, she might be making it up entirely. All I’m saying is that a jury could find her most recent version understandable. A lot of it will depend on evidence about who this woman is, to which none of us have access. Credibility is more than just “I changed my story.” It’s a larger picture of who someone is and what her motives are. I don’t know this woman. Neither do any of you. So stop commenting like you know what went on here. You don’t.

And I seriously doubt this woman will be charged with perjury. Yes, what she did is perjury, but prosecutors have prosecutorial discretion: they choose who to prosecute and who not to prosecute. I think it’s extremely unlikely they’ll want to prosecute this woman. Prosecuting an alleged domestic violence victim for behavior that could conceivably be a consequence of physical and psychological abuse will not be a good look.

20. To the people saying she should be prosecuted and criticizing her for lying. Please do a little research on victims of domestic abuse. This behavior is incredibly common and not out of the ordinary at all. I feel bad for her.

21. What (more than likely, in my opinion) allegedly happened to her is beyond reprehensible and something no person ever deserves. It’s unfortunate that this woman’s testimony can never be taken at face value again.

22. As a Skins fan, I was disgusted at the signing of foster. I am confident something nefarious happened.
    But now I do have some questions…. where is her lawyer to tell her not to go on national TV and admit perjury? And why a national TV interview? This raises enough questions where I am now reserving final judgment.

23. The league will interview her and most likely Foster is gone for a year. He will still have apply for reinstatement. He might get another chance in 2020 but it’s unlikely Foster will stay out of trouble while he is gone from the league that long.

24. santaclarasantaclaus says:
    December 6, 2018 at 8:55 am
    Uh, you can lie to the police. Don’t want to lie to the judge though…
    —————————-
    Lying to the police can get you charged with obstruction.

25. Who cares if this is common behavior from the victims. Maybe they should charge her to let other victims know that they need to tell the truth. This garbage of keeping quiet is nonsense. The message should be to report it honestly and immediately no matter what type of abuse it is. Over one your fears to help put these scumbags away.

26. 4thandacountrymile says:
    December 6, 2018 at 9:59 am

What’s wrong with this picture?

—————————
    the picture is fine. If it makes you feel any better I cant get on an NFL team for the same reason Kaepernick can’t, so I suffer the same pain.

27. Oath: I swear that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God. Affirmation: I solemnly affirm that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

28. “I did what I had to do for the person I loved.”

Somehow, this attitude of “damn the laws and the public good, I’m looking out for me” seems so familiar.

In possibly related news, I’ll bet a lot of Trump fans jump all over this woman.

29. “Who cares if this is common behavior from the victims. Maybe they should charge her to let other victims know that they need to tell the truth”.

Someone doesn’t understand much about psychology.

30. educator7 says:
    December 6, 2018 at 10:28 am

———

I was sitting in a car dealer when this was aired so I was a captive audience for a painful hour of GMA.

Her lawyer was sitting about 12″ to her left throughout.

31. cobrala2 says:
    December 6, 2018 at 8:46 am

========================

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin – “Anybody who prioritizes a life of financial comfort over their personal safety and self-respect” deserves neither.

32. “Now less women will come forward when they’ve been abused because no one will believe them”.
    __________

The normal pablum from the people who actually don’t care about the victims. Pretend that you’re concerned about the effect on victims’ credibility, when in reality you’re trying to plant the seed that all victims are not credible.

33. y’all pretend to believe women when they tell the truth but take all liberties to destroy them in this instance…please stop hypocrites…a lady can get on the stand and say something under oath against your local politician or pastor or priest and you’ll turn the other way

34. cardinealsfan20

Someone doesn’t understand much about psychology.
    ————-

Work on spelling Cardinals correctly before you tackle psychology.

35. There is room for 3 terribly flawed entities in this story: 1. Foster, 2. Ex-gf, 3. the NFL team desperate for a LB with incredible measurables,yet shady past.

36. This is not the first guy she has done this to. Back in 2011, she told police that an ex boyfriend beat her, because he was breaking up with her. Her credibility is shot. How are we going to believe you

37. oswizard says:
    December 6, 2018 at 1:33 pm
    She did jail time for lying about domestic abuse for a PREVIOUS boyfriend. But I believer her now because why would she do that again?
    ———————————————-
    How and why. Once a liar always a liar!

38. cardinealsfan20
    I know how to spell misogynist, and how to recognize one
    ——–

Yeah, the person telling victims that they need to speak up and speak up immediately is the misogynist. Wow, you really can’t fix stupid.

39. strummer174 says:
    December 6, 2018 at 10:16 am

======================

See the whole board.

She is previously convicted of falsely accusing someone of domestic violence.

The alleged first incident occurred when they were breaking up. And she did not simply testify under oath that it did not happen, she testified to threatening to him that she’d ruin his career. And when she reported it she also helpfully told police he had guns in the house (though they were in no way involved in the accusation).

When she testified (and leading up to it), she did not just say it did not happen, she also described (and later corroborating with video) a physical altercation she had had with a woman the night before where she got her injuries.

And at the time of their testimony, while it seems in retrospect these two can’t stay apart, they were not meant to be together anymore, she had gone home to Louisiana (and said under oath should took a bunch of his stuff with him).

This is not as simple as a changing story of a spouse or GF retracting under the control of an abusive boyfriend. This is a girl who by her own admission puts Reuben on blast when he tries to end the relationship.

Now, could some abuse have still happened? Sure. But the tampa charges are a misdemeanor, and the California charges have to get past not only her changing testimony, but the old version of her testimony (and the cell phone video) explaining away all the physical evidence.

I say again, none of what either of these 2 has done at any point in the story is the least bit rational.